MAC Tourney

26 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Me neither...wow.  Well, Stewie time indeed then.  We’re in the best shape we’ve been in all season long, match fit.  Offense on the right side very strong right now.  Can’t look past SIU-E though.

Edited by ZipsVoice
Spelling

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

top drawer soccer has the #4 and #5 teams in the country will be playing in Kalamazoo this weekend

the Mighty MAC !!!!.....only conference with 2 teams in the top 5

I would think that the Western Michigan "coach"will get some job offers after this year

Edited by TennZip
left out "coach"

17 minutes ago, TennZip said:

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

top drawer soccer has the #4 and #5 teams in the country will be playing in Kalamazoo this weekend

the Mighty MAC !!!!.....only conference with 2 teams in the top 5

That's fantastic news.  I think that adds some credibility to our national standing as a program. 

I think we have way too much talent and experience this year to not make a run at a national title.  We might also be playing our best at the right time.

But it's soccer.  One stupid play can end everything.  

So I have to ask again.  Where are the fans?  Another sparse crowd on a Senior Night with fantastic weather.  Why are people failing to connect with what is happening, vs. how they connected and responded maybe 5 years ago?   No blame on the students either.  Even the formerly-always-packed main grandstand appears to have plenty of room lately.  Does it take some of the excitement out of it when you now come to expect this every year, like basketball did for so many years?

I don't want to get the soccer fanatics all fired up, but I am also worried that not having a team in the upcoming world cup is likely going to have some impact on the sport in this country.   I think we always could count on some sort of added interest in the sport outside of the core soccer fans when that event was about to take place.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

So I have to ask again.  Where are the fans?  Another sparse crowd on a Senior Night with fantastic weather. 

I think - Saturday night when Suckeyes on TV football.  The MAC sucks...at least as far as most fans are concerned and playing the last place NIU.  It has become accepted that the Zips will win, and with only 3 conference matches at home....And the OOC super teams we're bringing in are great, but weekday night matches.  Also, team went West for 4 of the first 5 and didn't perform and gel early, so that drew down the casual fan attendance.  Just my thoughts....

Let me just question a couple of things.

1) The Suckeyes always play on Saturday in the Fall, and their demolition at the hands of Iowa was completed long before that game started.

2) The MAC has always sucked.

3) We've been playing some far inferior opponents in conference play for most of our soccer existence.

4) We've played plenty of weekday matches.  I think some of those record 6k and 7k crowds were even on weekdays.  

But, I do agree that the rough start could have had some impact on the rest of the season's attendance.  But crowds between 1,000 and 2,000 for the entire season is quite a dramatic difference from the past.   I'd think that the crowds would have grown over this last month or so as we started to move near the top of the national rankings.  

Something has clearly changed.  

I think most of the lack of crowds this year are what Zipsvoice pointed out in that we opened on the road early and lost a couple games.  I think people now expect us to win and it may only be considered "sexy" to go to a game if we are #1 in the country.  People are becoming immune to having "just a top 25" soccer program and only care if we are #1.  I still go and enjoy my time but that is where I am thinking the attendance going down is from.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

That's fantastic news.  I think that adds some credibility to our national standing as a program. 

I think we have way too much talent and experience this year to not make a run at a national title.  We might also be playing our best at the right time.

But it's soccer.  One stupid play can end everything.  

So I have to ask again.  Where are the fans?  Another sparse crowd on a Senior Night with fantastic weather.  Why are people failing to connect with what is happening, vs. how they connected and responded maybe 5 years ago?   No blame on the students either.  Even the formerly-always-packed main grandstand appears to have plenty of room lately.  Does it take some of the excitement out of it when you now come to expect this every year, like basketball did for so many years?

I don't want to get the soccer fanatics all fired up, but I am also worried that not having a team in the upcoming world cup is likely going to have some impact on the sport in this country.   I think we always could count on some sort of added interest in the sport outside of the core soccer fans when that event was about to take place.    

It's great to see WMU doing well. It gives us two more solid RPI games per season and adds credibility to MAC soccer.

The most fans ever was under 6k, not between 6 and 7k.

I think fans not showing up for UA games like they have in the past is due to a handful of things:

1) The program has already succeeded to the pinnacle...a National Championship. Unless another one of those is imminently obvious to the casual fan, it's just another season.

2) Embick does not have the bulldog-instigator personality that Porter does. Charisma matters. How awesome was it to see Porter essentially pick fights with the B1G teams (especially OSU, Michigan, and PSU) and then take them to the woodshed on the field? Coming from Akron, we all have a chip on our shoulder and whether intentional or not, Porter played right into this. "We will play anyone, anytime, anywhere."

3) The local media and social media have not created a buzz throughout the local community.

4) The viewing opportunities are now so good via ESPN3. I've watched every game from my living room in MD. I miss the atmosphere of FE Stadium - CC Field, but living in another state, ESPN3 is an unprecedented option.

5) The early losses to apparently no-named programs on the road to start the season were a buzz kill. Utah Valley and Denver have had much success in recent seasons, and Embick is fully justified in scheduling them for RPI purposes, but the casual fan does not have this advanced knowledge and the corresponding appreciation.

The US not participating in the World Cup does not have anything to do with college soccer. If anything, the strengthening of MLS enhances the college game because of serving as feeder programs much like college basketball and football. MLS has also given better opportunities to players from throughout CONCACAF, and the success of other CONCACAF countries is a reflection of MLS. This is overlooked by those who think the USMNT sucks and under-performed. They definitely under-performed, but the quality of their competition was as good as it has ever been.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

I think people now expect us to win and it may only be considered "sexy" to go to a game if we are #1 in the country.  People are becoming immune to having "just a top 25" soccer program and only care if we are #1.  I still go and enjoy my time but that is where I am thinking the attendance going down is from.

That could be it.  UAZipster seems to indicate the same thing.    

38 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

The US not participating in the World Cup does not have anything to do with college soccer.

The reason I bring that up is because it is the only time I see people gaining any interest in soccer, if they are not already a fan of the sport.   And I think many of those "non-soccer fans" have gotten behind the Zips in previous years.  

47 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

I think most of the lack of crowds this year are what Zipsvoice pointed out in that we opened on the road early and lost a couple games.  I think people now expect us to win and it may only be considered "sexy" to go to a game if we are #1 in the country.  People are becoming immune to having "just a top 25" soccer program and only care if we are #1.  I still go and enjoy my time but that is where I am thinking the attendance going down is from.

Wow, this is a new one.  In all the threads around attendance I have seen;

Football - we don't win games, the team is not a contender, old stadium off campus, bad weather, weekday games, conflict with OSU, don't have top competition come to Info

Basketball - we do win games but they are not important games, JAR is old outdated, not exciting, don't have top competition, we lose in postseason

NOW for soccer......

Our team is always Top 25 - but that is expected

People will only care if we are ranked #1

People expect us to win so there is no need to come

I've heard em' all now B)...... I think...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

The reason I bring that up is because it is the only time I see people gaining any interest in soccer, if they are not already a fan of the sport.   And I think many of those "non-soccer fans" have gotten behind the Zips in previous years.  

A legit point as the WC certainly gets the attention of the casual sports fans. However, I think the only truly casual fans at Zips soccer games are the students who attend because it is the cool thing to do.

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

A legit point as the WC certainly gets the attention of the casual sports fans. However, I think the only truly casual fans at Zips soccer games are the students who attend because it is the cool thing to do.

The students getting excited was certainly a big factor.  But, I can tell you that I am in that category myself.  I've been involved with Zips Athletics for decades on a number of levels, but NEVER attended a soccer game for the first time until about 2009.   I'm still going.  I got my wife hooked along the way too.  And neither of us are there because we like soccer.  We're there because it's exciting to be a part of our alma mater competing at such a high level nationally in a sport.   We're definitely not the only ones.  Many other big Zips supports and donors have those seats in the main grandstand.  And the ones I know personally would never go to some other soccer game.     

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

The students getting excited was certainly a big factor.  But, I can tell you that I am in that category myself.  I've been involved with Zips Athletics for decades on a number of levels, but NEVER attended a soccer game for the first time until about 2009.   I'm still going.  I got my wife hooked along the way too.  And neither of us are there because we like soccer.  We're there because it's exciting to be a part of our alma mater competing at such a high level nationally in a sport.   We're definitely not the only ones.  Many other big Zips supports and donors have those seats in the main grandstand.  And the ones I know personally would never go to some other soccer game.     

I stand corrected. Kudos for being open-minded enough to attend in spite of not being soccer fans.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, a-zip said:

I've heard em' all now B)...... I think...

That's why I refuted the excuses that have always been a factor.  

For instance, I don't want to hear "the games were on weekdays" when we've drawn 2 or 3 times that many people on weekday games in previous seasons.  

But I do think there's some validity in the point that maybe there's a lot of people who only get on board when we're holding that #1 ranking.  Maybe it really does take that kind of level of success before the real outsiders show up.  

2 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I stand corrected. Kudos for being open-minded enough to attend in spite of not being soccer fans.

No problem.  It's not about who's right or wrong.  I'm just puzzled that nearly everything seems to be the same as always, and the people aren't coming anymore.  

12 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That's why I refuted the excuses that have always been a factor.  

For instance, I don't want to hear "the games were on weekdays" when we've drawn 2 or 3 times that many people on weekday games in previous seasons.  

But I do think there's some validity in the point that maybe there's a lot of people who only get on board when we're holding that #1 ranking.  Maybe it really does take that kind of level of success before the real outsiders show up.  

When I was a student and lived in the area, there was nothing I'd rather do on a nice fall evening than go to a Zips soccer game. It was an event to look forward to. Even as a youth, being a ball boy or going to an occasional game with my parents or teammates were memorable events.

I have watched the Zips play VCU in Richmond and against UNC in Chapel Hill...both thrilling wins! I have every intention of traveling to the College Cup in Philly from Baltimore, if we make it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Skip - my only reason for saying that was the content of Z.I.P.'s post being about Saturday night's attendance while watching it on ESPN3.  My main point was that the good teams, the ranked teams we've been playing were on the week nights, not on the Friday/Saturday of MAC play.  I agree, the attendance for those matches are very good, despite being on a week night.  I was just trying to 'splain why Saturday night's attendance might not have been as good as he would have liked to see on TV.

I think the ESPN3 broadcasts may also hurt attendance. Video is better than ever and casual fans sit at home where they can eat/drink and not have to come in person. Also, I’m not sure anyone currently connects with the students the way Caleb Porter did. Opponents may have found him arrogant, brash, cocky, but I think our fans loved his attitude and confidence. I admit besides winning the national championship, one of the greatest moments in Zips Mens Soccer history was when the 4th official rolled up his flag and went home in the elite 8 match vs Cal due to Caleb. You just can’t get that kind of excitement watching at home. :D

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I think the ESPN3 broadcasts may also hurt attendance. Video is better than ever and casual fans sit at home where they can eat/drink and not have to come in person. Also, I’m not sure anyone currently connects with the students the way Caleb Porter did. Opponents may have found him arrogant, brash, cocky, but I think our fans loved his attitude and confidence. I admit besides winning the national championship, one of the greatest moments in Zips Mens Soccer history was when the 4th official rolled up his flag and went home in the elite 8 match vs Cal due to Caleb. You just can’t get that kind of excitement watching at home. :D

Agreed! Reinforcing several of the points I made above.