Three point shooting percentage 11th in the country

1981 grad

I knew that in the past 5-6 games that Akron has been on a tear shooting the 3 ball but I was surprised to see that we are now ranked 11th in the country at shooting the 3 ball at 39.3%.  What is amazing is that last year we were last or close to last last year in shooting the 3 ball percentage.  The most bizarre part of the story is that we lost our best 3 point shooter last year, Daniel Utomi when he transferred.  Although we picked up the X man, somewhere between this and last season Banks, Cheese and LCJ are now shooting lights out behind the three line.  I do not know if the guys are passing the ball better with a year long experience, they worked on their shot on the off season, or Groce had them all fitted with contact lenses.  If the Zips keep up this shooting percentage this team will continue to win.   

Toledo is #24.  There's a video on Jimond Iveys Twitter showing Utomi swishing a 3 for USC.  Of course, he is perfectly squared with the basket in the exact position he likes to the upper right of the key.  Having 4 guys who can hit from 3 puts all opponents in a bind.  Toledo had 3 guys who were hot from 3 and one who was on fire which equalized that game and gave Toledo the advantage.  On another note, Riaks two bricks from the charity stripe last night didn't help our stat in that category.  We will need Tribble and Dawson to make up for Banks and Cheese next year 

Edited by NWAkron

These numbers are a little off as they still show LCJ has only played 5 conference games, not 6. Right now in conference play we have 3 of the top 11 3P% shooters and 4 of the top 21 during MAC play. Cheese and Banks may be able to maintain their averages, but no way LCJ and Xeyrius are going to continue to shoot .550+ over the long haul. What's great is Banks, LCJ, and Cheese have been able to all use their 3 point scoring threat to blow past defenders, who are trying to close out, and finish at the basket. Xeyrius has attempted to do the same, but he still needs to work on finishing near the hoop. That's probably the only flaw in his game.

image.png

image.png

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

We will need Tribble and Dawson to make up for Banks and Cheese next year 

Actually we won't. I noted this in another thread, but Groce is doing a great job of "keeping us old."  We've got Bryan Trimble and Maishe Dailey ready to step in next year to take the place of Banks and Cheese.  This will give Tribble & Dawson yet another year to develop before we'll really need them to lead.

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Actually we won't. I noted this in another thread, but Groce is doing a great job of "keeping us old."  We've got Bryan Trimble and Maishe Dailey ready to step in next year to take the place of Banks and Cheese.  This will give Tribble & Dawson yet another year to develop before we'll really need them to lead.

I was thinking Dailey for Williams.  But it probably doesn't work quite like that.

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I was thinking Dailey for Williams.  But it probably doesn't work quite like that.

Good point.  You're right, it's probably not a straight plug one guy in for another, but I was thinking our incoming JUCO forward Taylor Currie for Williams.  I'm thinking:

Williams - Currie

Cheese - Dailey

Banks - Trimble.

But again, like you said, it probably doesn't work quite like that.

14 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Good point.  You're right, it's probably not a straight plug one guy in for another, but I was thinking our incoming JUCO forward Taylor Currie for Williams.  I'm thinking:

Williams - Currie

Cheese - Dailey

Banks - Trimble.

But again, like you said, it probably doesn't work quite like that.

I think there was some criticism of previous coaches that they recruited one for one instead of for a "team"