1981 grad
Members-
Posts
2,616 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
15
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by 1981 grad
-
Week #3 - Minnesota Preview & Game Thread
1981 grad replied to catdaddyp's topic in Akron Zips Football
Fourth and 2. Why not go for it and keep the offense on the field? -
Week #3 - Minnesota Preview & Game Thread
1981 grad replied to catdaddyp's topic in Akron Zips Football
How many times have we seen a kick returner make this same mistake as a Zip fan. -
Week #3 - Minnesota Preview & Game Thread
1981 grad replied to catdaddyp's topic in Akron Zips Football
They did not have proof to overrule the ref. Best catch by a Zip all day. -
Week #3 - Minnesota Preview & Game Thread
1981 grad replied to catdaddyp's topic in Akron Zips Football
As a Zip fan, I have seen so many stupid penalities that have killed drives this last one should come as no surprise. However, when you looked at the replay you could see the Minn. player not getting off of our player. I know the ref threw the flag but I do not think it should have been thrown when a player causes the foul. -
Week #3 - Minnesota Preview & Game Thread
1981 grad replied to catdaddyp's topic in Akron Zips Football
If our receivers do not drop 3 very catchable balls this might be a different game. Akron must play near perfect ball when playing a big 10 team. Our receivers did not get that message. -
Week #3 - Minnesota Preview & Game Thread
1981 grad replied to catdaddyp's topic in Akron Zips Football
A fumble and 2 drops in the first quarter and we are only down 10. The defense has played well after opening drive. Offense looks good but for the dropped balls. We have also gotten pressure on their QB. There is hope. -
Just watched the NBC national news and they usually have a feel good story at the end of the broadcast and it was about our offensive coordinator for the day Marty. Amazing publicity for the program. Really well done. Here is the link https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news-netcast/video/nbc-nightly-news-full-episode-sept-13-269797445768
-
I remember that game just like I remember the ridiculous offensive foul called on Freeman at the UCLA NCAA game in the last few minutes when it looked like Akron was a lock to upset a blue blood. Akron is always the bridemaid and never the bride.
-
Game 4 - at West Virginia - September 3rd
1981 grad replied to TennZip's topic in Akron Zips NCAA Championship Soccer
Unfortunately, watching the weather delay still photo on ESPN is better than watching the Zips football game. -
2025-26 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2026-27
1981 grad replied to Zippy87's topic in Akron Zips Basketball
We have won the MAC title the last 3 years and have not gotten past the first round. Three games in three days to win the MAC is a grind. You then have the excitement of selection Sunday and then a travel day Tuesday. Maybe it will help in the NCAA tourney if it only takes 2 games to win the title. -
Tavari is a great player and I love him as a Zip. He got better every year. However, we need a bigger and stronger guard who can play tough defense if we are ever to get that elusive first win in the NCAA tourney. He had a terrible NCAA tourney game playing against higher level competition. I hope Groce can sign him.
-
Kwan was a great player for Akron but I do not remember him having a great tourney run in Cleveland. I did not check the stats but that is my recollection, I apologize if my memory has failed me.
-
My kids play NBA 2k and tell me that Freeman is on the roster and they can use him as a player so it makes sense he would get a check.
-
I thought I had already voted but I did vote again just to make sure.
-
Great Poll!!! I am going with Shammah Scott for three because it was the most recent and symobolizes a player who just hit some great buzzer beaters the entire season. He had several amazing shots at the end of the half during the season and if I had to rank them for difficulty they would be a 10. Each year we ask outselves who should get the ball with the game on the line. Last year we had the answer, Shammah Scott.
-
The offensive numbers were not great but I wonder how he graded out defensively. When I watched the games I thought he played great defense, was very strong on the offensive glass, and on occassion could play bully ball and get to the hoop using his size and strength against other forwards. He has to improve his 3 point shooting and his foul shooting has been better in the past. Will be interesting to see how he does during the preseason. Right now he is listed as number three on the depth chart as a forward. If he has a great preseason he could be competing for a roster spot and not just a 2 way contract.
-
I watched some of the Freeman's game today when the World Cup was not on and Freeman looked good scoring 14 points and 11 rebounds including 6 offensive rebounds. At the end of the game he was a beast on the offensive boards givning Minn multiple offensive possessions.
-
2025-26 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2026-27
1981 grad replied to Zippy87's topic in Akron Zips Basketball
I just read the NCAA rules and it indicates that students who have completed their eligibility under the old rules do not get the 5 for 5. Somebody posted that Tavari should come back. I am confused but glad to see Evan back. https://www.ncaa.org/eligibility-center/division-i-age-based-eligibility-rules/ -
I did not see Monday's game but Freeman was a -29 and there is no way you can spin that in a good way. He did lead the team with 7 rebounds. He also had 4 assists and only one turnover. I watched the first 2 games and Freeman is usually in the corner as a wing and just does not have a lot of offensive moves to the basket. He sets ball screens and cuts to the basket but most times comes up empty handed even if he is open. Sometimes he pops up behind the 3 line but has not been htting the 3 ball. His defense has been good along with his rebounding. Very active on the offensive glass. The Timberwolves gave his a 2 way so they are invested in him this season. He also got cut Friday diving for a ball so that certainly indicates his toughness. It is way too early to judge him based on summer league play.
-
2025-26 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2026-27
1981 grad replied to Zippy87's topic in Akron Zips Basketball
Maybe if Evan come back Eric can always change his mind and play one more year with big brother. Blood is thicker than money. -
2025-26 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2026-27
1981 grad replied to Zippy87's topic in Akron Zips Basketball
Thanks for the explanation. I would love to see him play one more year. One of my favorite Zips from last year. Always played hard and one of the more physical players for the Zips. I guess he gets a double second senior night. (LOL) -
2025-26 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2026-27
1981 grad replied to Zippy87's topic in Akron Zips Basketball
I thought he was a senior. How is he back? -
Lyles made the hightlight reel with a nice spin move and dunk in the paint. https://www.nba.com/game/det-vs-phi-1522600003?watchRecap=true
-
Went to watch Freeman and the 76ers were playing in summer league and next thing I hear is Amani Lyles for 2 on a nice spiin move. He looks good in a sixer uniform.
-
Great picture. I have a recollection of Sammy having an amazing game at the JAR and then we learned post game that his parents were in attendance. I think the chatter on the board was that we wanted to take up a collection to get his parents to more games. (LOL).
