Transfer from U of Miami ..

br30302004

From a friend of a friend of a friend who works on campus. Rumor has it that RB, Andrew Johnson from the U has applied as a transfer student for this upcoming semester.I believe he was a top 10 RB coming out of high school and attended high school in the Pittsburgh area. I am not sure if he has one or 2 years of elig. left.

A friend of mine just told me a funny story about this guy. My understanding is that he was all set to go to Pitt out of high school and the day before signing day he backed out and decided on Miami. On signing day, he showed up in an all pink leisure suit. Since then, whenever anyone in Pittsburgh says the word "Pinky" they are referring to Andrew Johnson. I don't know if the pink suit is true or not (I believe my friend), but it's a funny story if it is.

A friend of mine just told me a funny story about this guy. My understanding is that he was all set to go to Pitt out of high school and the day before signing day he backed out and decided on Miami. On signing day, he showed up in an all pink leisure suit. Since then, whenever anyone in Pittsburgh says the word "Pinky" they are referring to Andrew Johnson. I don't know if the pink suit is true or not (I believe my friend), but it's a funny story if it is.
Pink suit reference (click here)

Ummmmhh. First off, could someone correct the headline? I thought from what it says that he was a player from Oxford, Ohio. THAT is where Miami U is located after all.And, as he has just one year of eligibility, I'm surprised JD didn't leave him to the Penguinis. Maybe only the past season's injuries make one year of him look favorable. I hope he can push the opthers -- at least.

Who wants him?! Let him go somewhere else! One year of eligibility? Yawn. He'd have to sit out this year, right? So he wouldn't be eligible to play till next season. He hardly played at Miami. He's an underachiever. Let's just be glad we've got Gary Pride verballed and concentrate now on getting a verbal from Morgan Williams!

• 3 weeks later...

The newest Ytown Local TV-Station: MY-YTV 33 has a SportsTalk show every weeknight.Tonight they were talking about YSU Football, and once again Andrew Johnson's name was mentioned as being "CLOSE" to coming into Youngstown State.That is what I am hearing on him, and what the Host, Bob Hannon [play-by-play voice] has heard from inside the organization.

I will wait until its official that he is at Akron. The 2 other local tv stations even said yesterday that Andrew Johnson is pursueing Youngstown State.Again I am only telling you what they know, and I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I want something official before I lay off on where this kid lands.

I will wait until its official that he is at Akron. The 2 other local tv stations even said yesterday that Andrew Johnson is pursueing Youngstown State.Again I am only telling you what they know, and I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I want something official before I lay off on where this kid lands.
As one who spent 25 years in radio and television news...don't believe everything you hear!MY 33...what, no longer ABC or do they just have two networks now?I almost had the misfortune of working there. Remember Jack Bowe?

B&G- It's not that Johnson was an underachiever at Miami, I believe he had an injury and was never able to climb back up on the depth chart. No offense but unlike our Zips, "The U" gets a top 5 running back in the country just about every year. I don't care what he's done recently, there was a point in time where this kid proved himself to be one of the elite backs in the country and had alot of potential and was picked up by "The U" so I'll take a kid that might be hit or miss. Especially if he pans out to be what alot of people thought he could "potentially" be we could have a real solid ground game.

B&G- It's not that Johnson was an underachiever at Miami, I believe he had an injury and was never able to climb back up on the depth chart. No offense but unlike our Zips, "The U" gets a top 5 running back in the country just about every year. I don't care what he's done recently, there was a point in time where this kid proved himself to be one of the elite backs in the country and had alot of potential and was picked up by "The U" so I'll take a kid that might be hit or miss. Especially if he pans out to be what alot of people thought he could "potentially" be we could have a real solid ground game.
I didn't know about his injury. And everything else you say is very true, very true! It's great to see the depth we're getting at the RB position! I don't ever recall having nearly the sort of talent we're assembling there! I'm especially excited about seeing Bryan Williams tote the rock. But I always show favor toward the local fellas. That's why I'm still hoping we sign Morgan Williams - another great RB!

• 2 weeks later...