JD should....

jd should start recruiting more kids from the akron,canton,cleveland area. i have a friend who plays for a local high school who is getting heavy interest from osu, penn state, minnesota, tennessee and he has yet to get an offer from Akron. As a kick returner he had over 500yds in returns and 4 td's last season and as a punt returner he had 11 td's (not sure of how many yards he had). he is also a very good defensive back. JD overlooks alot of kids from the NEO area who are very talented and end up going to out of state schools and tearing it up.

timmyboy. After being around Akron's football program for 25 years, I can tell you that the coaches often have to decide who they have a chance to get, and who they do not.In this case, if he is being actively recruited by Big-10 schools, Akron's coaches may very well be wanting to focus their attention on someone else that is more likely to be swayed to choose a MAC level school.Sure, I'd like to be stealing players away from Big-10 schools too, but it just doesn't happen often enough to justify using our resources in those attempts.

yea i understand but the kid has told me that if akron were to offer him they would be one of his top schools, because he would like to stay close to his mom and grandmother who is terminally ill because she goes to all of his games. i have seen alot of different hs players from this area an IMO he is the best special teams player and one of the best defensive backs ive seen.

I mentor a student from an Akron high school who has been offered a scholarship by Akron. In the past, some of the Akron high school coaches would rather send their kids to other schools than Akron. Maybe these coaches are still doing this.GP1 is right. JD should put the best players on the field. If a student wants to be recruited by Akron he needs to be responsible and pick up the phone.

The answer to the question of "JD should..." is, get the best players possible on the field regardless of where they are from.
Disagreed and here's why. I think a big problem JD has run into with recruiting SO MANY kids from Florida is that they come from a different world and many times (not all the time) have discipline and attitude problems. From players I've talked to the unity that used to exist on this team is just not there anymore. I think a big reason is that when you bring in so many Fla kids a schism develops in the team, because the Ohio/Pennsylvania kids come from such different worlds (more disciplined worlds) and can't understand the behavior and the coaches' tolerace towards some of these kids out of Florida, and it creates resentment. Now you may say that all national programs mix kids from all over, but this isn't necessarily true. Sure Ohio St brings in a few kids from Fla, but they are mostly the best of the best from the Midwest. Sure, Tennessee bring in a few kids from up north, but they are almost exclusively Southern kids. Florida recruits Georgia/Florida almost exclusively. When you just bring in a few kids from outside your region, they are forced to mesh and conform to the rest of the team. When you bring in almost half and half, seperate cultures exist. So what JD is running into with getting half of his recruits from down that way is a unique mixture of personalities that I don't think is working out too well for him, as was evidenced with all the team problems of last year. An Ohio school should recruit 90% midwestern kids. It may be tempting to take shortcuts and go grab some of that Florida speed (which most of the time mysterioiusly no other Florida schools wanted...), but what you gain in talent you kill in team discipline, chemistry, and unity. Just my opinion.

Who is this kid that Akron did not offer. More times than not these schools (MAC-Big Ten) are well aware of a kid, but there is more to it than talent (i.e. grades and test score, commits,).Also, Akron may have already committed up at the position this kid playsGary Pride ATH early commit great catch from exceptional programVincent Hill WR early commit This kid would usually be untouchable (grades?)Jerome Royal WR early commit Jumped on it right awayJalil Carter DB DEC commit had been his #1 choice all alongIf the kid is that interested in Akron then he should make a phone call to office and find out where he is on there board?Akron does stay at home - look at this year's recruits

i talked to the kids HS coach ( akron buchtel) an he said the kid has a 2.9 gpa and is a great football player, but the best part about him is that he is an even better person.and just so u know in case u didnt see my other post. vince hill has went back on his verbal to akron. after a great senior year he got an offer from University of virginia. and he said he likes that school and that he has a chance to play as a true freshman. he will be makin visits to both schools in the coming weeks an then make his decision, but as of now he is no longer a verbal for akron.

The answer to the question of "JD should..." is, get the best players possible on the field regardless of where they are from.
Disagreed and here's why. I think a big problem JD has run into with recruiting SO MANY kids from Florida is that they come from a different world and many times (not all the time) have discipline and attitude problems. From players I've talked to the unity that used to exist on this team is just not there anymore.
Good points, but if the kids want more unity, they should join a fraternity. If they want to hold hands and sing "We Are The World", they should join a commune in California. This is a major college football team and not a love fest.There is not enough Division 1-A talent in Ohio for OSU, Akron, OU, BGSU, Can't State, Toledo, Miami and Cincinnati to field top notch teams year in and year out. How did all of that team unity and discipline work out for Ohio State when they were getting their asses kicked by Florida last Monday?We went throught the "bring in local kids" nonsense with Lee Owens and it was a disaster.

Disagreed and here's why. I think a big problem JD has run into with recruiting SO MANY kids from Florida is that they come from a different world and many times (not all the time) have discipline and attitude problems. From players I've talked to the unity that used to exist on this team is just not there anymore. I think a big reason is that when you bring in so many Fla kids a schism develops in the team, because the Ohio/Pennsylvania kids come from such different worlds (more disciplined worlds) and can't understand the behavior and the coaches' tolerace towards some of these kids out of Florida, and it creates resentment. Now you may say that all national programs mix kids from all over, but this isn't necessarily true. Sure Ohio St brings in a few kids from Fla, but they are mostly the best of the best from the Midwest. Sure, Tennessee bring in a few kids from up north, but they are almost exclusively Southern kids. Florida recruits Georgia/Florida almost exclusively. When you just bring in a few kids from outside your region, they are forced to mesh and conform to the rest of the team. When you bring in almost half and half, seperate cultures exist. So what JD is running into with getting half of his recruits from down that way is a unique mixture of personalities that I don't think is working out too well for him, as was evidenced with all the team problems of last year. An Ohio school should recruit 90% midwestern kids. It may be tempting to take shortcuts and go grab some of that Florida speed (which most of the time mysterioiusly no other Florida schools wanted...), but what you gain in talent you kill in team discipline, chemistry, and unity. Just my opinion.
We were stiffed on signing day by a couple "midwest" players. We picked up a couple Florida kids as late replacements. That's one of the reasons last year's class was so heavy on Sunshine state kids. It appears the 2007 class won't include more than a couple kids from Florida.In general I agree with trying to keep the recruiting midwest-centric. I also agree that recruiting Ohio is very difficult due to the volume of D1-A schools. Plus all the other out-of-state schools that invade the area. Western PA is a great place to recruit, since Pitt, WVa and Penn State can only take so many "locals." And, the two hour drive from Pittsburgh to Akron is very appealing to kids who want to have their parents attend their games. Even the road games are easily driveable.Lastly, it is true that the local high schools have traditionally steered their D1-A caliber kids away from Akron. They want to send us their D1-AA level kids...and those days are over. That pisses them off. Hopefully the new stadium will be enough to start getting high-caliber Akron area HS player to stay home...and quit going to Northwesters, Syracuse, Pitt, etc.