2024 Soccer recruits

In the MLS Next tournament in late June/early July,  James was written up twice in subscriber only Top Drawer soccer articles

July 6 premium top drawer soccer

D James Buebendorf, St. Louis SG U16 - Bubendorf was the embodiment of an attacking full back, running relentlessly up the left side, providing dangerous crosses — while also nicking a goal or two for himself.

june 25, 2022 MLS next premium top drawer soccer

James Buebendorf, St. Louis SG U16
Bubendorf made an impact immediately. On St. Louis’ first attack the left back probed down the left wing cut past his defender and placed a simple cross into the 6 yard box. It was dutifully tucked away a moment showing blanks offensive quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

new 2024 recruit Cain Castellon led Colorado Rapids 2 in shots yesterday in a scrimmage against NE Revolution 2

https://www.coloradorapids.com/rapids2/news/rapids-2-draws-0-0-with-new-england-revolution-2-in-first-scrimmage-of-preseason

Cain Castellon was the first to get a shot off in the 51st minute after finding some space at the top of the box. The 17-year-old midfielder kept pressing on, finding another scoring opportunity in the 67th minute off a cross field punt from the team’s additional trialist goalkeeper. 

In the Rapids 2 exhibition yesterday, it looks like 2023 zip recruit Joshua Hardin was on the field at the same time as new 2024 recruit Cain Castellon

It looks like former zip Dillon Serna is now playing for the Colorado Rapids 2.   Dillon, please feel free to send more talented young rapids 2 players to the zips !!!

• 2 months later...

really good find, Fknbuflobo......

we are going to have to start calling you.....the recruit finder

Kamden is mentioned in this attached article  (and yes, I am looking forward to Kamden Held and Ashton Kamden being a dynamic duo for the zips)

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/article/?categoryId=26&articleId=51827&articleTitle=boys-club-standouts:-february-25-27

Michigan Jaguars 06 MLS NEXT – Oscar Huerta scored twice, helping the Jaguars best Chicago Fire by a 3-2 score. Braeden Backus had two assists, while Gavin McBride scored one and setup the other.

Kamden Held, Chicago Fire 06 MLS NEXT – A pair of goals from Held served as consolation in the matchup against the Jaguars.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TennZip said:

Kamden is mentioned in this attached article  (and yes, I am looking forward to Kamden Held and Ashton Kamden being a dynamic duo for the zips)

Ashton Kamdem 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Top Drawer Soccer says that the Zips have added a new recruit for 2024

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/sima-recruiting-roundup:-july-24-30_aid52277

M Jack Roman (Cleveland Force FC) committed to Akron.

On July 4, Top Drawer soccer included Jack Roman on their top 11 team from the ECNL playoffs

M Jack Roman, Cleveland Force 06 – After Cleveland lost the group opener against MVLA, the team rallied with back-to-back wins to capture first place. Roman is a hard worker in the midfield, who connected play well. He added a goal-scoring punch from the midfield as well.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Prep Soccer currently has Akron’s 2024 class at #12. They are missing a couple commits, but they talk about Held and Buebendorf in their evaluation. This was included in their subscriber content on Aug 24.

12. Akron

Verbal commitments (as of August 22): #15 James Buebendorf (St. Louis City SC), #99 Kamden Held (Chicago Fire)

Buebendorf is going to end up as one of the top players from this class who plays college soccer. And he is headed to Akron where they have a proven track record for developing professional players. Buebendorf is an outside back and offers a well-rounded game for the position. He has the technique and confidence on the ball to play out of pressure. He has the vision to pick out runs from his teammates. He showed last season how he can hit a variety of passes with accuracy – from the cross field switch to the grass-cutter to the full spring cross. The left back has among the highest ceilings in this class. Kamden Held is an attacking midfielder from Chicago Fire. He was a standout for that academy last season. He has a clean first touch and excellent feel for the game. He should shine in the Akron style of play.

Edited by NYC ZIP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted this article on all state selections under the women's soccer topic.

It is also probably appropriate to post here under 2024 recruits.  A young man from Revere was selected as Div. 2 player of the year.  Dylan Halm had 33 goals and 11 assists as a senior.   I do not know if he is good enough to play for Akron and if he has committed to a college.   Cole Turchyn from Medina was selected first team all state.  Again, I do not know if he is good enough to play for Akron and if he has committed to a college.

St. Ignatius won its fifth straight state title yesterday in Division 1.  They are traditionally a super power in Ohio High school soccer.   When was the last time that the zips had a player from St. Ignatius on their men's soccer team?   Nick Mikulec from St. Ignatius was selected as first team All State.

St. Ignatius beat Cincinnati Moeller in yesterday's final (5-4 on PK's).  Cincinnati Moeller was the #1 ranked team in all of America.  Moeller had an incredible year.  They were 24-0-0 and had not given up a goal in their last 23 games.  The goal they gave up in the first game was on a PK.   24 games and they gave up no goals from the run of the play.   I am sure that the zips had some coaches down in Columbus yesterday

I am certainly not an expert on Northeast Ohio High school soccer.    A name that I hope ....is on the zips radar for 2025 recruiting....is Revere Midfielder AJ Catlett.  First team all state as a junior.   11 goals and 26 assists as a junior.   From the little I know about NE Ohio HS soccer, I think that Catlett might be able to help in fall 2025.

Revere obviously had a great team this year...with the Div. 2 player of the year - Dylan Halm and the talented junior - AJ Catlett.  Revere lost in the state final 2-0 to a team from Tipp City (Tippecanoe).    Tippecanoe had a junior on the team named Landon Haas.   The Junior had an amazing year...33 goals and 26 assists...Amazingly, Landon Haas was only voted 2nd team all state.      

I hope that some of the young men on the All State teams are good enough to play for Akron and that they choose to play college soccer at Cub Cadet field.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/soccer/2023/11/11/ohsaa-all-ohio-boys-and-girls-soccer-walsh-jesuits-hannah-pachan-reveres-dylan-halm-nick-depompei/71518167007/

On 7/24/2023 at 12:16 PM, TennZip said:

Top Drawer Soccer says that the Zips have added a new recruit for 2024

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/sima-recruiting-roundup:-july-24-30_aid52277

M Jack Roman (Cleveland Force FC) committed to Akron.

On July 4, Top Drawer soccer included Jack Roman on their top 11 team from the ECNL playoffs

M Jack Roman, Cleveland Force 06 – After Cleveland lost the group opener against MVLA, the team rallied with back-to-back wins to capture first place. Roman is a hard worker in the midfield, who connected play well. He added a goal-scoring punch from the midfield as well.

• Like 3

While I do love to watch high school sports, and mainly soccer, I might add that high school soccer doesn't always equate to what major college soccer coaches are looking for.  There are many highly successful collegiate programs that weigh success by results from an athlete's club team performance.  In fact, there are a lot of Top Drawer highly rated recruits that never touched a high school pitch, and we can look no further than some of our past success stories.  I may be wrong, but our beloved skipper Will Jackson never played High School soccer, and Colin Biros, whose father was Massillon Jackson's head coach, never played for his dad, or for any high school team.  Will Trapp fore went his last two years of HS soccer for the Crew Academy before coming to Akron.  On the girl/women's side of the equation, most elite coaches, and I would venture Coach Simonetti might agree, are interested in a girl's club status than HS stats.  I also recall a Stow-Munroe Falls boy who signed with Akron, that never played for the Bulldogs.  Can't recall his name.

Not disparaging excellent HS players here, just pointing out that it doesn't necessarily equate to greatness on the NCAA level.

• Like 1

Agree with your points @zippy-claws but I'd like to add that I have concern with academy bias...potentially overlooking very talented high school players because they didn't play for an academy. I've been surprised with recent successes of some of the local high schools that the Zips haven't had any recent recruits from them ... Medina and St Ignatius specifically come to mind. Perhaps players on Akron's radar chose to go elsewhere and / or there weren't others on our radar; I don't know the details. Just saying I'm surprised.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Top drawer soccer has an article today...that ranks the top recruiting classes for 2024.

They list Akron at #20 (One comment from me....I think they are missing Cain Castellon...a midfielder from the Colorado Rapids)

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/article/?categoryId=26&articleId=52816&articleTitle=2024-mens-di-recruiting-rankings:-november

20. Akron (NR)

Commitments: D James Buebendorf (St. Louis City SC – No. 153), M Kamden Held (Chicago Fire – No. 180), M Thomas O'Rourke (NYCFC), M Jack Roman (Cleveland Force SC)

big east foe....Georgetown...has the #1 rated class

• Thanks 3

@TennZip Does TDS list Joshua Bartels among the 2023 recruits although he didn't join in the Fall? I notice he is not included in the list above. I look forward to Josh and Caleb Borneo reuniting with the Zips. They looked good together in the Crew Academy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

@TennZip Does TDS list Joshua Bartels among the 2023 recruits although he didn't join in the Fall? I notice he is not included in the list above. I look forward to Josh and Caleb Borneo reuniting with the Zips. They looked good together in the Crew Academy.

yes, Joshua Bartels shows as a 23 recruit.....I hope that the zips play a strong spring schedule so that Joshua Bartels, Caleb Borneo, Nathan Ferguson....can see some excellent competition in the spring.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

According to this site, Zips Men's Soccer is getting a GK recruit from the Inter Miami CF Academy...

https://prepsoccer.com/college/akron/

This site also shows Simon Guardiero, a defender from Sigma FC.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

This site also shows Simon Guardiero, a defender from Sigma FC.

great finds on Miami GK and on Simon...

2 articles on Simon

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-sports/guelphs-simon-guardiero-has-eyes-set-on-the-world-soccer-stage-5948352

in the 2nd article, fall 2023 Zip Daniel Firek is mentioned in the article as well as Simon

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-sign-three-canadians-to-development-contracts

• Like 1