Sunday November 12 posts....show tournament projections and pros and cons for last 4 in

8 hours ago, YipaZip said:

With regards the Zips SOS and conference realignment, one has to suggest that it was the uncertainty of the BigEast that stopped our Zips playing Pitt and Michigan State like we have in the past. It's not like Embick has been afraid to play the tough teams in the past. I would assume Northern Kentucky will be replaced with Ohio State or Michigan State on next years schedule. 

Any team who lose 6-0 isnt the top 32 teams in any country. Pitt lost 6-0 to ND. Anybody can look at a strength of schedule (SOS) and see that Pitt SOS was not number 1. Half of their six wins were against Fairleigh Dickenson (95rpi), Howard (201rpi) and Duquesne (101rpi). They also lost 1st round of their conference tournament at home. So essentially we are validating their acceptance in the tournament based on playing good teams and losing? 

Humans who vote in polls may (or may not) evaluate the quality of individual wins or losses.  Algorithms cannot make that sort of evaluation unless the formula is constructed to do. so.  I do not believe RPI can distinguish between a 6-0 drubbing At Notre Dame and a 2-1 loss at Virginia.  RPI does give weight to Away matches vs. Home matches.  Otherwise, a loss is a loss, and an opponent's accumulated RPI is plugged into the algorithm.  Nothing else is considered.  Only humans can think outside the formula.  RPI is far, far away from perfect.  One might even describe RPI as an archaic, clumsy and lazy method of evaluation.  

Likewise, SOS is just mathematics; it is not voodoo. 

If I possessed the actual algorithm (and understood it) I would undoubtedly share it with you.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

If we could play Ohio State & Michigan (or Penn State or MSU) every year it would bring a lot of credence to the UA from our predominantly B1G-centric community.  

I agree that playing Big 10 teams....might help with attendance.

However, it could also hurt the zips for RPI.     The Big Ten this year has 1 lonely team in the 48 team field.  Ohio State and Michigan have both had many losing seasons in the past several years.     Akron's tie this year against Michigan (a 5-6-7 record) did not help the zips in RPI.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2023 at 4:37 PM, NYC ZIP said:

Zips have some experience coming back, some good, young players waiting to step up and a good recruiting class coming in. I’m optimistic for 2024.

NYC Zip, welcome to the board.  It is good to see an optimistic poster on the board.

What do you know about the 2024 recruiting class?   I only follow top drawer soccer(TDS) and they do not have the 2024  recruiting class ranked highly.   

For 2023, the zips recruiting class was ranked #7 by TDS.   The highlights of the claas were Caleb Borneo (#38 nationally) ; Josh Hardin (#82 nationally) and Nathan Ferguson (#188 nationally. )  Borneo and Hardin were both rated 4 stars by TDS.   Of course, zips fans really did not get to see the  3 top 200 recruits this past year.   Caleb got injured during the summer and was not able to play this year.  Nathan got hurt on the first day of practice and was out all year.  Joshua Hardin is an outside back so he got stuck behind Will Jackson and Malik and barely played.    I am excited to see what Caleb, Nathan and Josh Hardin can do in spring and fall 2024.   Also, Caleb Borneo's Columbus Crew academy teammate, Joshua Bartels , was listed as a 2023 recruit but Bartels will not join the zips until spring 2024.  

TDS does not have the zips 2024 recruiting class ranked in the top 10 and they have no Akron recruits rated as 4 stars.   James Buebendorf from St. Louis SC is rated #153 in the country.  Kamden Held from the Chicago Fire Academy is rated as #180 in the country.

We all know that it is very hard to accurately rate all of the young players that are playing academy and high school soccer.   In 2022, TDS had outside defensive Levi Stephens rated in the top 100 and rated as a 4 star recruit.  Levi transferred from Akron after one year.  Levi went to George Mason and barely played this year.  TDS did not have Ashton Kamdem rated in their top 200 and Ashton has been an outstanding outside back for Akron.

Again, I look forward to your contributions to this forum.  I am just curious as to what makes you optimistic about the 2024 recruting class.  I am super pumped to see what a healthy 2023 recruiting class can do in the fall of 2024.

• Like 1

Any reader on this forum must read the comprehensive and historical review of NCAA MSOC Tournament selection authored by BigSoccer.com icon Sandon Mibut.

Sandon Mibut's posts are toward the end of the thread, which was started by Gaucho Dan.

Priceless!

Enjoy!

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/ncaa-tournament-selection.2128408/

6 hours ago, TennZip said:

NYC Zip, welcome to the board.  It is good to see an optimistic poster on the board.

What do you know about the 2024 recruiting class?   I only follow top drawer soccer(TDS) and they do not have the 2024  recruiting class ranked highly.   

For 2023, the zips recruiting class was ranked #7 by TDS.   The highlights of the claas were Caleb Borneo (#38 nationally) ; Josh Hardin (#82 nationally) and Nathan Ferguson (#188 nationally. )  Borneo and Hardin were both rated 4 stars by TDS.   Of course, zips fans really did not get to see the  3 top 200 recruits this past year.   Caleb got injured during the summer and was not able to play this year.  Nathan got hurt on the first day of practice and was out all year.  Joshua Hardin is an outside back so he got stuck behind Will Jackson and Malik and barely played.    I am excited to see what Caleb, Nathan and Josh Hardin can do in spring and fall 2024.   Also, Caleb Borneo's Columbus Crew academy teammate, Joshua Bartels , was listed as a 2023 recruit but Bartels will not join the zips until spring 2024.  

TDS does not have the zips 2024 recruiting class ranked in the top 10 and they have no Akron recruits rated as 4 stars.   James Buebendorf from St. Louis SC is rated #153 in the country.  Kamden Held from the Chicago Fire Academy is rated as #180 in the country.

We all know that it is very hard to accurately rate all of the young players that are playing academy and high school soccer.   In 2022, TDS had outside defensive Levi Stephens rated in the top 100 and rated as a 4 star recruit.  Levi transferred from Akron after one year.  Levi went to George Mason and barely played this year.  TDS did not have Ashton Kamdem rated in their top 200 and Ashton has been an outstanding outside back for Akron.

Again, I look forward to your contributions to this forum.  I am just curious as to what makes you optimistic about the 2024 recruting class.  I am super pumped to see what a healthy 2023 recruiting class can do in the fall of 2024.

Happy to join in the conversation. I recently started follow several “pundits” that scout and rate youth players, most from MLS academies and their pro and national team potential. I believe these guys watch a lot more games and put a lot more time into their craft than TDS and Prep Soccer.

The US Soccer Collective is very informative and in depth coverage of US prospects (@chai_asc on Twitter). He has published positive info on Buebendorf and Held.

Another example, USMNT Prospects puts a lot of information out there based on watching a ton of games. He recently went to a pay walled Patreon site (well worth the $5 a month)but his Twitter is still very informative @prospectsusmnt. Specific to our 2024 class, here some of what he has said about James Buebendorf in his evaluations. He recently ranked him as the #10 2006 prospect.

”10. James Buebendorf (St. Louis City)-LB: Buebendorf has a few things to work on, but has very high upside, and I would say as of now is the clear best of the ‘06 LB prospects for me”

He also listed him as a potential call up for the 2025 U20 World Cup.

There are other commits on Instagram that from a very small bit of research, look solid as well.  A GK from Inter Miami academy, a MF from NYCFC and the local MF from Cleveland.

I’m also optimistic about healthy Henry, Clapier and like you mentioned Ferguson, Borneo, and Bartels getting their chance to debut for the Zips. I also think there will be a new hunger in the team. Players don’t pick Akron to be home for Thanksgiving.  If you were paying attention to the last game at Xavier, their students did the “I believe that we just won” chant. I think angry and disrespected  Zips are dangerous Zips. 

My apologies for the lengthy post. Looking forward to the conversations.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, NYC ZIP said:

Happy to join in the conversation. I recently started follow several “pundits” that scout and rate youth players, most from MLS academies and their pro and national team potential. I believe these guys watch a lot more games and put a lot more time into their craft than TDS and Prep Soccer.

The US Soccer Collective is very informative and in depth coverage of US prospects (@chai_asc on Twitter). He has published positive info on Buebendorf and Held.

Another example, USMNT Prospects puts a lot of information out there based on watching a ton of games. He recently went to a pay walled Patreon site (well worth the $5 a month)but his Twitter is still very informative @prospectsusmnt. Specific to our 2024 class, here some of what he has said about James Buebendorf in his evaluations. He recently ranked him as the #10 2006 prospect.

”10. James Buebendorf (St. Louis City)-LB: Buebendorf has a few things to work on, but has very high upside, and I would say as of now is the clear best of the ‘06 LB prospects for me”

There are other commits on Instagram that from a very small bit of research, look solid as well.  A GK from Inter Miami academy, a MF from NYCFC and the local MF from Cleveland.

I’m also optimistic about healthy Henry, Clapier and like you mentioned Ferguson, Borneo, and Bartels getting their chance to debut for the Zips. I also think there will be a new hunger in the team. Players don’t pick Akron to be home for Thanksgiving.  If you were paying attention to the last game at Xavier, their students did the “I believe that we just won” chant. I think angry and disrespected  Zips are dangerous Zips. 

Preach It, Brother!!!!  Welcome to the Team!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYC ZIP said:

absolute great information.   I am so glad that you have joined the board.    I was not aware of the US Soccer collective.   I will definitely pay the $5 for the USMNT prospects.    I am so excited to read what was said about the great LB prospect.   Thank you again .   No need to apologize for the long post.     I have obviously done a few long posts in my time.

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2023 at 8:04 PM, TennZip said:

I agree that playing Big 10 teams....might help with attendance.

However, it could also hurt the zips for RPI.     The Big Ten this year has 1 lonely team in the 48 team field.  Ohio State and Michigan have both had many losing seasons in the past several years.     Akron's tie this year against Michigan (a 5-6-7 record) did not help the zips in RPI.

Face it outside of scheduling Indiana and Maryland most years anyone else is usually an RPI drain on any school looking to have an NCAA run. Men's soccer is probably the worst sport at Ohio State and probably one of the least funded. Just going back to 2008, 15 years, Ohio State, has 10 losing seasons and one NCAA. Just 3 years ago in 2020 (Spring of 2021) the B10 had only two programs with a winning record that being Indiana and Penn State.

1 minute ago, BigGreenTruck said:

Face it outside of scheduling Indiana and Maryland most years anyone else is usually an RPI drain on any school looking to have an NCAA run. Men's soccer is probably the worst sport at Ohio State and probably one of the least funded. Just going back to 2008, 15 years, Ohio State, has 10 losing seasons and one NCAA. Just 3 years ago in 2020 (Spring of 2021) the B10 had only two programs with a winning record that being Indiana and Penn State.

Agree. You try to get one of their new conference mates, UCLA and Washington, both generally top 20 teams, to play at Cub Cadet while they are in “the neighborhood”. If we need to do a home and home, so be it. Akron picks up another game out west early in the season between 2024 -2027.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NYC ZIP said:

Agree. You try to get one of their new conference mates, UCLA and Washington, both generally top 20 teams, to play at Cub Cadet while they are in “the neighborhood”. If we need to do a home and home, so be it. Akron picks up another game out west early in the season between 2024 -2027.

Or you could look 4 hours south of I-77. As a Marshall fan I would support a long term H/H with Akron. It could only benefit both programs. I think it would be some pretty entertaining games.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, BigGreenTruck said:

Or you could look 4 hours south of I-77. As a Marshall fan I would support a long term H/H with Akron. It could only benefit both programs. I think it would be some pretty entertaining games.

Did our AD sever all scheduling with Marshall after what went down poaching our baseball coach?

On 11/14/2023 at 10:52 AM, Reslife4Life said:

And if we really do need to schedule a "lesser" opponent, keep the old MAC schedule alive and play Western Michigan or Bowling Green

I have zero interest in scheduling WMU, BUGS (, or NIU) in men’s soccer. However, given WMU’s recent NCAAT history, I wouldn’t refer to them as a “lesser” opponent. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 10:00 PM, BigGreenTruck said:

Where is the benefit of any team going to Huntington to play a team put together on unlimited scholarships to fund pros playing college soccer? Personally I'd prefer a Michigan State, Ohio State or anyone else tbh.