Retire the Jerseys? Dru and Rome in the Rafters?

It is time to begin wondering if Dru and Romeo's numbers will hang in the JAR rafters one day. If you asked me today, I would say "no." The two are aguably the best duo to compete side-by-side for the Zips for four consecutive seasons. However, they have no rings. They have one MAC victory in 3 years of "Final 8" MAC tourney competition. This, despite consistently going into the tourney as one of the more highly rated teams. To me, it is a package deal. If Dru and Rome bring a championship to Akron, their jerseys go up in the rafters. If we falter in Cleveland...and they have one or two MAC tourney wins to their collective credit, and zero MAC championships...I can't see their rafter immortality being justified. Romeo Travis and Dru Joyce's legacy is cemented at the high school level. People will talk about their St V teams for decades. However, their college legacy will be defined over the next 3 weeks.

I totally agree with all what you said.Last year, our early exit at the Q was blamed on the lack of senior leadership, Which i partially understand since Futch and Preston were excellent role players but not team leaders. This year, Dru and Rome have all the supporting pieces in the starters as well as the deepest MAC bench.If we don't win the tournament this year, Dru and Rome will simply be two good players who once wore blue and gold.

I agree wholeheartedly!Both Dru & Romeo have been very good players, However, what have they really done to distinguish themselves as players deserving to have their jersey hung in the rafters?Not enough in my opinion. They really need to distinguish themselves that players that make a difference.I hope that happens the next couple of weeks.Meanwhile, let's run the table and win the Mac championship in Cleveland.

"Would you rather have either of those guys or the Cricket on the floor? My answer is the Cricket, no question."Eric was great!I remember when we played Ohio State in the NIT his senior season. I was at the game. We had the lead at the half. He got hurt and then that was the end of that! :wall:

Would you rather have either of those guys or the Cricket on the floor?  My answer is the Cricket, no question.It took us almost 20 years to get the Cricket rightfully honored, I think talk of this with these guys in mind is way premature.
I don't think it's too premature. Their careers are 95% done and they'll have about 80 wins under their belt when all is said and done. K.e.n.t retired several of their "Elite 8" player jerseys the year after they graduated.The Cricket was a great player, but I think if he didn't have an OVC championship and an NCAA berth...he may never have risen to the top of the JAR.BTW - The people responsible for retiring numbers 20 years after the fact have no idea how great a player was/wasn't. I spoke to Mike Waddell about McLaughlin's number being retired. In so many words, he attributed the overdue honor to the ZipsNation lobbying on his behalf. That should make everyone here feel whole.If Rome and Dru's jerseys do go up one day, it will likely be due in part to some lobbying from the Zips fans presently in school who remember their play. If their memories are of MAC tourney losses, don't look for #24 or #12 above the court anytime soon. Sweet 16 victories? Then you can expect a raising at some point. :beam:

"Would you rather have either of those guys or the Cricket on the floor? My answer is the Cricket, no question."Eric was great!I remember when we played Ohio State in the NIT his senior season. I was at the game. We had the lead at the half. He got hurt and then that was the end of that! :wall:
I was at that game too.Eric was a good player...but just at the Peay game I was talking to a buddy also from that era questioning if Eric was good enough to have his number retired.I have to say no.He was good...but not rafter material.Jakubik...definately.The school shouldn't hand out retired numbers too easily.As for Joyce and Travis..I'm kinda surprised the topic even came up.

Cricket won something like 90+ games @ UA.UA won an OVC championship (reg. season & tournament) w/ CricketUA went to an NCAA & NIT (or 2?) with CricketThe man's number is where it belongs. Retired. He earned it.

If their memories are of MAC tourney losses, don't look for #24 or #12 above the court anytime soon. Sweet 16 victories? Then you can expect a raising at some point.
Well said, CK. These guys have a bunch of games to win to be even thrown in the same category as the Demetric Shaw led flushes. A whole bunch & not much margin for error.Now if DJ & RT go out there & sink free throws to take UA to new (DI) heights .. then perhaps they'll have earned it. As it stands now, I don't put them in the same category as the Cricket.

I spoke to Mike Waddell about McLaughlin's number being retired. In so many words, he attributed the overdue honor to the ZipsNation lobbying on his behalf. That should make everyone here feel whole.
I did a little digging to find an old post .. see this Thread from '04.It always did bug me it wasn't up there. Glad Mike & Mike got it done.It is interesting to read peoples posts 3 years out to see how KD is doing against our expectations. And what has gone well & what is still needing some improvement.

Cricket won something like 90+ games @ UA.UA won an OVC championship (reg. season & tournament) w/ CricketUA went to an NCAA & NIT (or 2?) with CricketThe man's number is where it belongs. Retired. He earned it.
If their memories are of MAC tourney losses, don't look for #24 or #12 above the court anytime soon. Sweet 16 victories? Then you can expect a raising at some point.
Well said, CK. These guys have a bunch of games to win to be even thrown in the same category as the Demetric Shaw led flushes. A whole bunch & not much margin for error.Now if DJ & RT go out there & sink free throws to take UA to new (DI) heights .. then perhaps they'll have earned it. As it stands now, I don't put them in the same category as the Cricket.
Sorry.I watched him his entire career.He didn't hit me as "retired-number material" like Joe did.I was very surprised to see his banner.

This is something that pissed me off with them from yesterday. They both should have canned all their free throws with the game on the line. That is something we should expect from senior leaders. Think about it. If Joyce hits both free throws in the end the game is over. Little stuff like that separates the good ones from the greats. It seems that we have players on this team who piss their pants when adversity hits, and that's when you need the leaders to step up.

When you retire player's numbers, it's a very special occassion. It's one of those things where maybe the best player in an entire decade or two gets the honor. Are Dru and Romeo two of the best Zips over the last 10-20 years? No. BUT....I expect senior night to be a very emotional experience. They've been great contributors to Akron basketball, and they have a very long relationship with Coach Dambrot. They deserve our thanks for what they've given to our program.

The AK-Rowdies had better rush the court after the game and carry these two guys around on their shoulders. They deserve no less. I don't know if their numbers should be retired yet, because their careers at Akron aren't over yet. I think that if they have an incredible showing in March and get the MAC championship, that they should definately be honored. Winning a few games in the big Dance should get their numbers retired, but in order for them to do all that they must have the rest of the team contribute like never before.

Are Dru and Romeo two of the best Zips over the last 10-20 years? No.
For the sake of argument, who was better over the past 15 years? Give me one big man and one guard. Guards:Jimmal Ball is the only 4-year guard that comes to mind as better than Joyce in the past 15 years. He won nothing, and was not a "leader" by any stretch.Bosley - Quitter. Playing for Hipsher seemed to do that to many...but that's no excuse.Rashon Brown - Better? Yes. But he only played one season.Better Big Men than Travis:Andrick...until he and Hipsher went mano-a-mano, yes. After that he disappeared.Byron Thompson? No. George Phillips? No. Marco Morgan? No. Pete Freeman? No. Futch? No. Weinkein? No. Andy Hipsher? No.Like it or not, Coleman Crawford and Dan Hipsher pretty much killed Zips basketball for two decades. Joyce and Travis are the best we've had in quite some time. If they lead us to a MAC Championship and a win or two in the NCAA's, that's hallowed ground to me. Raise the banner. :beam:

I was there also and Anthony Buford almost kept us in the game singlehandedly. He was one of the best athletes and pure shooters we ever had. Imagine if Huggins had stayed, we would have a few of the famous UC alumni as our players. :rolleyes:

"I was there also and Anthony Buford almost kept us in the game singlehandedly. He was one of the best athletes and pure shooters we ever had. Imagine if Huggins had stayed, we would have a few of the famous UC alumni as our players."Buford had the big slam dunk to end the first half and quiet the OSU fans. It was beautiful! :bow:When Huggins left who was the player that transferred to UC? I remember him being pretty good, but I forget his name at the moment.

Rashon Brown - Better? Yes. But he only played one season.
Brown played 2 seasons, did he not? I think he transferred from WKU in his sophomore year & we had him for 2 full, or at a minimum 2 1/2.Regardless of how long he played, he was the best player in a Zips uniform since Huggins left. A healthy Andy Hipsher may have been better .. but we'll never know that.I agree entirely that you can't be raising banners for 2 years of service, a la Nate Thurmond .. which is why Boyce isn't up there.

Capt....Since you brought it up on the board........If you are talking about the best basketball player and can forget about all the baggage, you know it is BOSLEY. He averaged 17 points over 75 games, won our only MAC East championship and was the one guy that we have ever had that could take over a game at the end and win it. The dude was an unbelievable scorer and always played hard - he was undersized and slow but knew how to play the game to his advantage. I remember when he started with the Zips, couldn't shoot the three at all but by the end of his career, he was a deadly outside shooter.Two things killed Bosley and that entire team - 1)Hipsher and 2) F-ing K.E.N.T (actually Jose Davis, right?). That team did quit and implode at the very end thanks to 4 years of Hipsher beatings. Too bad, they were a very good team at the start.Are you still holding a grudge with Bosley over that headlock ? I'll give you Ball as a close second but other then that, all the guys mentioned are no where near their level. Neither deserve a banner unless you had to put someone up there from the 90's. My votes - Guard - Bosley / Big Man - Boyce (if we are going back that far) or Andrick

My votes - Guard - Bosley / Big Man - Boyce (if we are going back that far) or Andrick
captainandrick.jpgAkron's Ryan Andrick puts the power into power forward during the Zips' 74-68 win over Ball Stateyesterday at Rhodes Arena. Andrick, who reacts to a basket and a foul late in the game, scored 25 points.Springfield coach in his fourth season

Rashon Brown - Better? Yes. But he only played one season.
Brown played 2 seasons, did he not? I think he transferred from WKU in his sophomore year & we had him for 2 full, or at a minimum 2 1/2.Regardless of how long he played, he was the best player in a Zips uniform since Huggins left. A healthy Andy Hipsher may have been better .. but we'll never know that.I agree entirely that you can't be raising banners for 2 years of service, a la Nate Thurmond .. which is why Boyce isn't up there.
Maybe he did play 2 years? I swore it was only one.Trip Down Memory Lane - Click

BlueandGold...Anthony Buford was the player that transferred to Cincinnati to go and play with Huggins. BUT, he did not transfer right away.Huggins coached him here as a freshman, and then he played his sophomore year here under Coleman Crawford, and did not transfer until after that season.Buford was the #2 guard on Cincinnati's Final Four team in Huggins 3rd year as their coach.