Spring 2024

8 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

Wait, didn’t MSU get 2 points for winning in PKs against us? 

no. They changed the rules since the previous time we participated in this Spring League. I corrected my earlier post. Sorry for not keeping up with that and any confusion I may have caused. Now the PKs only count for a potential head to head tiebreaker between the teams. 

Edited by Zip_ME87

15 hours ago, Sports_Enthusiast said:

There are updated standings, scores & leaders for the college spring league on Bowling Green's web site...

https://bgsufalcons.com/sports/2024/3/1/college-spring-league

Credit to the Bowling Green web site......for informing their fan base......about spring soccer....

Akron soccer SID......appears to be in hibernation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Michigan State is now in the lead in the North division of the College spring league

see their tweet below

Michigan finishes the spring lead with 0 wins and 4 losses

Michigan State is now 2-0-1 and has 7 points

Akron is 1-0-2 and has 5 points

If BG beats Dayton tomorrow, BG will have 7 points after 3 games

Michigan State and BG play next week

If Dayton beat BG tomorrow, Dayton will have 6 points after 3 games

Michigan State 2-0-1, 7 points

Akron 1-0-2, 5 points

BUGS 1-0-2, 5 points

Dayton 1-1-1, 4 points

Michigan 0-4-0, 0 points

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Michigan State 2-0-1, 7 points

Akron 1-0-2, 5 points

BUGS 1-0-2, 5 points

Dayton 1-1-1, 4 points

Michigan 0-4-0, 0 points

Akron hosts Dayton next week

BGSU hosts Michigan State

those are the last 2 matches in regular part of College spring league North

If Michigan State wins at BG, Michigan State wins the north division with 10 points

If Michigan State ties BG, Michigan State wins the North Division with 8 points

Akron could also reach 8 points with a win at home.   However, Michigan State wins the tiebreaker against Akron because MSU won the PK shootout after the 2 teams tied

Is there any way that Akron can win the college spring league North?

answer is yes

Akron beats Dayton at home

BG beats Michigan State at home

both finish with 8 points and MSU ends with 7 points

Akron wins the tiebreaker against BG.....because Akron won the PK shootout after the two teams finish tied

if both games next week finish in a tie

1. MSU  8   2. Akron 6   3. BG 6  (loses TB) 4. Dayton 5

If Akron ties and BG beats Michigan State

1. BG  8   2.   MSU   7  3. Akron 6    4. Dayton 5

if Akron loses and BG and MSU tie

1.  MSU   8    2. Dayton  7     3.   BG    6    4.   Akron   5

even after laying out the scenarios, I can not root for BG and their thuggish style of soccer.....

What matters to me......is that the zips need to get their offense going and establish some positive momentum.....headed into the fall

As NYC Zip pointed out, the soccer zips have scored 1 goal from the run of play in 3 spring games.....

I only care about results in the fall........what I want to see in the game against Dayton....and the game in Columbus.......is to get the offense humming....assists from Caleb Borneo, Maximus Barboto...and goals by Dyson and Malik and Stefan.......

I hope that the soccer faithful that live in NE Ohio....see some forward passes and some goals next weekend

• Like 3

the winner of the North.....will play Marshall in Columbus on April 13 for first place in the league

with a win or a tie against BGSU, Michigan State would be the team to battle an excellent Marshall team

Zips can guarantee finishing no lower than 2nd......with a win over Dayton.

Ohio State hosts Xavier this weekend...with a win , Ohio State would finish 2nd in the south

Louisville has already played all of their 4 matches so they will end with 6 points

Marshall plays Butler in the other match this weekend

• Thanks 2

Michigan State will play Marshall in the title game next Saturday in Columbus.

With a win or tie today against Dayton, the Zips will finish 2nd in the league.....

again, I only want to see the zips make some progress on offense....

1 goal from the run of play in the previous games......looks too much like the last half of last year.

• Like 1

I am not at the game...but just got a very early report from today's 5 pm game.....

after 15 minutes, the zips lead 1-0 ...on a beautiful long ball....to Stefan....and Stefan put it in the goal.

well done, Zips !!!!.....keep it going  !!!

• Like 1

In the college spring league south...Lousiville finishes 2nd with 6 points....Ohio State finishes 3rd..with 5 points

with a win or a tie today...Akron would play Louisville in the 2nd place game next weekend

with 30 minutes left in the game, Akron leads Dayton 3-2....(was 2-1 at halftime)

Dayton gets a late goal....and Akron play to 3-3 draw

Michigan State wins the North with 10 points

Akron is 2nd with 6 points

BGSU and Dayton tie for  3rd with 5 points...I think that BGSU won PK shootout)

Zips will play Louisville on the 13th at historic Crew Stadium at 5 pm

Marshall vs. MSU will start at 7:30 pm

APRIL 13, 2024
FINAL GAMES (Historic Crew Stadium - Columbus, Ohio)

9th-Place Game -- 9:30 am
#5 South v #5 North
Butler v Michigan

7th-Place Game -- 12:00 pm
#4 South v #4 North
Xavier vs. Dayton

5th-Place Game -- 2:30 pm
#3 South v #3 North
Ohio State vs. Bowling Green

3rd-Place Game -- 5:00 pm
#2 South v #2 North
Louisville vs. Akron

Championship -- 7:30 pm
#1 South v #1 North
Marshall vs. Michigan State

• Thanks 2

Nice to get 3 goals and a result that clinched the 2 spot in the North. Also good pk practice although a tiebreaker was not needed. 

Too bad Zips proved 2-0 is most dangerous lead in soccer and got another draw. Over reliance to send the ball back to the keeper or cross it in front of our own net continues. Hopefully clean that up in the Fall. 

• Like 1

Great game. Kudos to the players, coaches, and staff. The Zips dominated most of the match and created many more chances than reflected in the final score.

Happy Devin Armstrong got the clean sheet. Well-deserved.

Matt Dreas looked good in midfield, as did Nicholas Beier at #6.

The backline of Ashton Kamdem, Jonas Buechte, Robert Ydrach, and Malik Henry were confident and solid. Awesome offensive action by Ashton and Malik getting forward and creating numerous scoring opportunities.

Maximus Barboto continued to impress and great to see a healthy Dyson Clapier making the moves and creating chances.

Awesome to see Stefan get the first goal of the game on a beautiful breakaway run.

Happy to see Caleb Borneo get the start and to see his fellow Crew Academy team mate, Josh Bartels, score off the bench on a great cross by Stefan Dobrijevic. (Really great to see Josh score for the Zips in Historic Crew Stadium knowing that had to be special for him.)

Much to be happy about in today's match. Looking forward to the Fall 2024 season with this group and the fall additions.

Sorry to our team for not being around as much this Spring as I have been in the past due to personal issues. I hope I can attend more in the Fall.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 4

I think the team counts its blessings in that it has a committed fan like you. No one does more for Zip soccer in building confidence and pride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1