Akron-Can't Game Thread

sgm405

Here are my thoughts, also linked on my blog HEREOn January 17th, Akron defeated Can't State 78-68 in the first of two regular season match-ups. At the time, I remember thinking that in the next meeting, the MAC East Title would be on the line for one of these two teams. It turns out it’s on the line for both. While both teams have already secured a first round bye in the MAC Tournament, there is obviously still a lot on the line:1. The MAC East Title - Sure, nobody remembers who won the regular season title. But it’d still be a nice thing to show off to recruits. 2. At-Large Chances - I’m a realist…so I’ll definitely note that I don’t see Akron getting an at-large under any circumstances. There is a small chance…but don’t count on it. 3. Momentum - You want to enter the MAC Tournament on a high-note. If Akron wins, they go in knowing that they’ve defeated Can't State twice in one season. If Can't wins, they build even more confidence that they can still win the league. These players are human, and momentum is a very real thing.4. Pride - It’s Akron-Can't State…it doesn’t matter what sport, what the team’s records are, or what year it is…it’s Akron-Can't State - any win over the other team means a great deal to the respective cities and schools.I hate to do more numbering, but here are my Three Keys to the Game:1. Romeo Travis - He’s played like a man on a mission as of late, averaging 25 PPG, 10 RPG, and 4 BPG in his last three contests, two of them on the road. Simply put - if Romeo Travis plays like he has the last few games and plays to his capability, there’s nobody on the Can't State roster that can take him down.2. Free Throws - I would be surprised if this wasn’t a very close game. And I still believe that if there is one thing that will kill the Zips at some point, it’s their problems at the foul stripe. If they’re serious about making a post-season run, they absolutely have to start shooting better, especially in late game situations.3. The Crowd - This game was sold out almost a week in advance, and while a good number of Akron fans will surely be heard, it’s a guarantee that they’ll be outnumbered. With the rivalry intensifying things, as well as the game implications (MAC East Title), the crowd will be fired up. This Zips team has struggled on the road at times this year, and cannot afford to get flustered by the hostile crowd. They are the veteran team - they need to act like it tomorrow.Now the tough part…my game prediction. This one is always scary, just because you never know what will happen when it’s Akron-Can't. While I feel the Zips have the better team, winning at Can't is no easy task. As I wrote in my February 21st entry, the Zips have yet to win that big, breakthrough, take-it-to-the-next-level game. And this might be one.My Prediction: 76-74, AkronBut also remember this - assuming Toledo wins tomorrow and Akron and Can't State both take care of business in their second round MAC Tournament games, they’ll match up once again in the Semi-Finals, this time with both of their seasons on the line.Now that would be a big, breakthrough, take-it-to-the-next-level game to win for the Akron Zips.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sgm405, youve pretty much said everything I wanted to say, so I'll give the cliff's notes version. :PThis game would be our best road win of the season. It is always huge when we play Can't State, but this is for the MAC East title, all of the momentum going into the tourney, and if we win we have the confidence to know that there is no way Can't State can beat us on a neutral court.Also, did anyone else know that Tomorrow is Quade Milum's birthday? We'll have to cheer extra for him or something. :screwks::screwks::champs::champs::screwks::screwks:

We win this game we're winning the MAC.........case closed. Tournament is all about peaking and beating Can't would signify that this team has peaked beyond any level we have seen this season. We lose, then I think we are in for a tough battle as we end the season on a low note and Can't realizes they can beat us. With that said, I hope they have saved that big road win for tomorrow. I agree. We are at a whole new level if we win. :screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks::screwks:

Here's a picture of Can't State's seating chart for those who've never been there before.Looking at that, where is the best place for extremely loud and crazy Zips fans to sit?I wonder if UA got general admission tickets for its students, or if they have got a visitor's section behind the Zips' bench like in the JAR.WNOVEHTTLNEIGBL.20060831135225.jpg

Here's a picture of Can't State's seating chart for those who've never been there before.Looking at that, where is the best place for extremely loud and crazy Zips fans to sit?I wonder if UA got general admission tickets for its students, or if they have got a visitor's section behind the Zips' bench like in the JAR.
I would be they are GA tickets, since the visitors section is only the first few rows behind the bench. Section 4 is fun because your above the Can't Bench. And some of the rowdies from last year told me you get a nice view from the Can't student section :rofl:

This is the biggest game in recent Zips men's basketball history. We have a chance to win a title on the home court of our rival. And to reach the 24-win mark...a D-1 record. Travis and Dru need something up in the JAR rafters. The championship banner is in their hands. Does it go up in the JAR...and the Zips men's team comes back into town next November for the big ceremony....or does it happen next November in K.e.n.t?The Zips are the better team. The more-veteran team. We should win. I'm really looking forward to tonight. It will be an outright war. :thumb: Zips 72K.e.n.t. 68See you at Ray's @ 5pm :CK_brew:

The Zips don't have the leadership or talent to make their season complete. They will choke......just like they do every year.... and they will be sitting at the end of the season and thinking of what could have been....just like they do every year. Enjoy it Zippy fans because this was an awesome year for the kanga roo roos. But it wont happen because the same problem you zips always have at the end of every year is here again and it won't go away. there is no solution for you and the problem for you is the Can't STATE GOLDEN flushES!!!!! Can't WILL BEAT YOU LIKE THE RED HEADED STEP CHILD YOU ARE!!! MY PREDICTION Can't STATE 85 Can't BEAT US...AGAIN 71.!!!! Can't FANS = :rock: UA fans :mad_flame::unsure:

My prediction:1: Can't fan support is pathetic as usual2: That nut ball terrorist professor Can't has will show up and declare a jihad on Akron ... and Can't ... and America in general. Man does Can't have some idiots.3: At some point John Rybak takes off from the foul line, throws the ball in between his legs and off the backboard, does a front flip while eating a grilled cheese sandwich, then wind mills the ball home with a force so great, the rim melts and 40 Can't students sitting in the student section are vaporized. The rest suffer severe third degree burns. Unfortunately he is called for traveling and then reverts back into the player we all know and groan about. Never showing that flush of super human, Detlef Schrempf like, mega talent again.4: The M.A.C. center will smell like weed ... as usual.5: Wood will try to repeat the Rybak dunk, only tripping over his own feet and landing on a few Can't players, leaving them paralyzed from the waist down.6: Romeo Travis and Dru Joyce realize that they need this win to secure any type of legacy outside of "well, they didn't win anything but their teams were pretty good." and combine for 50 points, 19 assists, 26 rebounds and 9 blocks.7: TV announcers mention LBJ so much that Damon Jones mistakenly thinks it is a Cavs game and immediately releases a statement to the press saying that Drambrot is ruining his shooting form and he needs more playing time. After all, he is the greatest shooter in the world.8: Matt Futch shows up at the game and delivers the most vicious elbow seen all season to the face of the woman taking the tickets at the door. He can't help it, that is what he does.9: Half way through the game, Jim Christian gets a call from OU, recruiting him to be their head coach.10: Zips win 89-71. Akron fans rejoice while Can't fans fire up their preferred smoking apparatus. And here is a bonus one for you. Some time around the 15 minute mark in the second half, Charlie Frye's leg will fall asleep. He will be removed from his seat and promptly replaced by Derek Anderson. The fans will quietly clamor about how well Derek sat in that seat and how he had the arm to lift his soda up while standing up so someone could walk in front of him. Charlie will return with 1 minute 30 seconds left, only to spill the soda and knee someone walking by. Ladies and gentlemen, we have our selves a sitting controversy. Hopefully the Browns don't draft that lame ass Brady Quinn to take the seat at next years game.

Alright, I know that I've been partial on a lot of my predictions this year, but here is my absolute true belief in what tonight's final score will be......Zips 412 Can't 16. Romeo Travis will be held to under 200 points.
Bleacher Bum .... have more confidence in your team .... Akron 422 and Can't 14. Romeo may be held to under 200 points but he hauls in 67 rebounds and has 43 blocked shots. Rybak comes in and hs 92 points. :rofl::rofl::screwks::screwks::screwks::rofl::rofl:

My prediction:1: Can't fan support is pathetic as usual2: That nut ball terrorist professor Can't has will show up and declare a jihad on Akron ... and Can't ... and America in general. Man does Can't have some idiots.3: At some point John Rybak takes off from the foul line, throws the ball in between his legs and off the backboard, does a front flip while eating a grilled cheese sandwich, then wind mills the ball home with a force so great, the rim melts and 40 Can't students sitting in the student section are vaporized. The rest suffer severe third degree burns. Unfortunately he is called for traveling and then reverts back into the player we all know and groan about. Never showing that flush of super human, Detlef Schrempf like, mega talent again.4: The M.A.C. center will smell like weed ... as usual.5: Wood will try to repeat the Rybak dunk, only tripping over his own feet and landing on a few Can't players, leaving them paralyzed from the waist down.6: Romeo Travis and Dru Joyce realize that they need this win to secure any type of legacy outside of "well, they didn't win anything but their teams were pretty good." and combine for 50 points, 19 assists, 26 rebounds and 9 blocks.7: TV announcers mention LBJ so much that Damon Jones mistakenly thinks it is a Cavs game and immediately releases a statement to the press saying that Drambrot is ruining his shooting form and he needs more playing time. After all, he is the greatest shooter in the world.8: Matt Futch shows up at the game and delivers the most vicious elbow seen all season to the face of the woman taking the tickets at the door. He can't help it, that is what he does.9: Half way through the game, Jim Christian gets a call from OU, recruiting him to be their head coach.10: Zips win 89-71. Akron fans rejoice while Can't fans fire up their preferred smoking apparatus. And here is a bonus one for you. Some time around the 15 minute mark in the second half, Charlie Frye's leg will fall asleep. He will be removed from his seat and promptly replaced by Derek Anderson. The fans will quietly clamor about how well Derek sat in that seat and how he had the arm to lift his soda up while standing up so someone could walk in front of him. Charlie will return with 1 minute 30 seconds left, only to spill the soda and knee someone walking by. Ladies and gentlemen, we have our selves a sitting controversy. Hopefully the Browns don't draft that lame ass Brady Quinn to take the seat at next years game.
:laugh_up: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH! :laugh_up: