Starting Running Back

lovezips

Who should be the starting running back?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are two questions here. Who WILL be the starting RB and who SHOULD be the starting RB.I believe the answer is the same, however I think it will change as the season goes along. The answer is Dennis Kennedy. He will be the starter and should be at the beginning of the season because he did a fine job last season until he got injured and he really fell off. I believe Williams, Allen and even Brinson are better though. One of them will take over the starting spot at some point in the season unless we end up doing the RB by committee crap. :champs:

I am extremely shocked at some of these comments. Williams and Brinson have never even stepped on a D-1 college football field and people on here are already saying we should replace a 1,000 yard rusher (if he wasn't hurt). Plus, Kennedy will only be a junior. That doesn't make much sense to me. Lets see how these guys pan out before they get anointed as a starter and better than Kennedy. High school or JUCO star doesn't always translate into D-1 success.

DK should be the starting RB. However, if two games into the season he is taking every handoff and running 25 yards to the sideline for a two yard gains, we have to look to someone other than him.

DK should and probably will start. i do think he'll be on a short leash though. Walker and Allen should spell DK with Reed as a possible third down/change of pace back. I am not sure about Williams but I wouldn't be surprised to see him red shirt to stager the depth (he has 3 years to play two). for those talking about Brinson, he'll be a corner and might red shirt as well to stager the depth. I am glad someone is finally talking about this as I basically posted this topic months ago. welcome aboard :) regardless on who starts I think you'll see a lot more running this year with that being a strength and inexperience at the qb spot. after it's all said and done, I think Allen will transfer after this season. :screwks:

Kennedy had the lowest yards per carry of the top 80 D1-A rushers in the nation last year, so I am certain he will need to work hard to maintain his workload. We need a runner that's at least a moderate threat to take it more than 20 yards a given carry and Kennedy has yet to show he has the speed or moves to break long runs.I was told Aaris Reed will be on the field. Whether it is offense or defense is undetermined but he will be a factor this year.I don't see Alex Allen transferring. Why would he? If he wanted to go to YSU he would have done so from the start. I am concerned about Alex's performance based upon watching a similar runner's return from injury a few years ago. Brandon Payne was never the same after he was injured. In hoops, it seemed to take both Wood and Dials until the latter half of this season…roughly 1 1/2 years after their respective ACL's…to really return to form.Gary Pride is intruiging. We'll need to wait until the summer to watch him. Walker is also a wildcard. He showed some nice speed and moves last year. Maybe after a year's experience back on the offensive side of the ball he can take things to another level?McMillon was a non-factor last year, despite our relatively weak RB situation. That makes me wonder if he's in the mix in 2007.I'm sure I'm forgetting some…too busy to think things out today!

Kennedy had the lowest yards per carry of the top 80 D1-A rushers in the nation last year, so I am certain he will need to work hard to maintain his workload. We need a runner that's at least a moderate threat to take it more than 20 yards a given carry and Kennedy has yet to show he has the speed or moves to break long runs.
Excellent statistic CK! I wonder what his yards per carry average would have been if they included the yards running toward the sideline.In terms of long runs, he does nothing to set them up. They don't just happen. If he would spend more time running between the tackles, he could break one outside once he either gets to the second level or outside.

i just think allen will be the odd man out in the rotation. once he figures that out on the field he'll transfer (that's just a guess). i agree that DK has a long was to go that's why i don't see akron using a primary back. i see them running a lot and giving multiply carries to multiple backs. i agree with you CK on Pride, can't wait to see what he can do as well as Reed. anyone else think Williams may be red shirted due to depth? :screwks:

williams is such a gifted athlete, i think he can help right away. i hope he isnt red shirted, an can play this year. I also cant wait to see pride play, i talked to him a few weeks an told him bout the the spring game and he said he was going to make it up for it.

:rock: GP1 good comment on running inside...Kennedy won't do it...doesn't like to...isn't strong enough...too bad the kid from McKinley...Morgan didn't end up here...the ZIPS don't need a back who will only run the corners..with a mobile QB they need a back who WILL run inside and CAN run outside if needed...they had a back like that when they won the MAC...too bad he is not here now...maybe run the fullback more?

:rock: GP1 good comment on running inside...Kennedy won't do it...doesn't like to...isn't strong enough...too bad the kid from McKinley...Morgan didn't end up here...the ZIPS don't need a back who will only run the corners..with a mobile QB they need a back who WILL run inside and CAN run outside if needed...they had a back like that when they won the MAC...too bad he is not here now...maybe run the fullback more?
hey 74 the guy they signed this year bryan williams likes to run inside an earn his yards the hard way. His game film from the military school is pretty impressive. he likes to go up the middle until he gets past the offensive line, then he usually gave a quick move to the outside...... an was gone with his 4.38 speed. If he is given the chance, he will show everyone. brinson from mckinley also liked to run between the tackles in hs, not sure about now.

Dennis Kennedy is a huge threat as a receiver. He also had a good game against Penn State from what I remember. I think he has the starting job locked up.
yeah kennedy does have it right now, but come the season i think he will have to do alot to keep it. You are from akron so you might remember williams from buchtel. Has great hands and great speed. The only problem with him is that you run into a situation of where to play him, because he is very good at both Rb and DB

Dennis Kennedy is a huge threat as a receiver.
I have to respectfully disagree. DK catches the ball in the flats, but too frequently misses with his straight arm to be an effective back out of the backfield.