Does Frye still have a chance?

zipseuph

All though I think Charlie being the Brown's starting quarterback is great for UA exposure in NE Ohio, it would be best for him to go to a different team where he'd actually have a shot at winning and showing off his ability. Doing so would also give UA and the football program better exposure nationally.If the Browns are stupid enough to draft Brady Quinn, then so be it. They'll continue to suck indefinitely and Charlie can do his thing else where.

Phil Savage also said on WTAM he wants to pick up Trent Green. I don't think this team can afford to pick a QB and they won't unless Savage's boy Jamarcus big arm falls to them at three. I personally think Calvin Johnson at three makes it a lot easier for Charlie to be successful. Winslow, Edwards and Johnson -- Jurevicious in the slot. I would say that would pretty difficult to stop and would open some pretty big holes for Jamal Lewis.

The Browns would be making a mistake taking Quinn at #3. Everytime I saw him play against a good team he looked like crap! They have much bigger needs to fill with the #3 pick than a QB anyway. Charlie isn't the next coming of Joe Montana, but at the same time who knows what he can really do. Remember Troy Smith won the Heisman this past season. How did he look in the National Championship game when his O line decided not to block? Reminded me a lot of Charlie running for his life with the Browns! Memo to Browns: Draft Peterson at #3 and draft at least 3 OL in the first 6 rounds of the draft. :cheers:

I think smart teams keep a rookie on the bench for most or all of his first season so Charlie will still get his shot to start for the beginning of the season at least. If he doesn't perform at a high level he will either be gone or become the backup. And regardless the Browns won't pay big dollars for a backup qb (Quinn) for long if Charlie does do a good job. So if the Browns draft a qb this year at best Frye wil play as the potential starter for this season only.That said, I don't think the Browns are a smart team to draft a qb. They need an offensive line and then they should keep the existing qbs to see if they pan out. They have so many needs they can wait until next year to draft a qb.If the Browns did draft a qb they would probably be stupid enough to play him right away too, thereby hurting the new qb and taking away any chance Frye has to play. Except of course when the new qb gets pounded so bad due to our lack of O-line he is injured giving Frye a chance.

First of all, I don't think they have been able to fully evaluate Frye. Is everyone aware that he had a better QB rating in his first year as a starter than Peyton Manning did? But this is Cleveland. The most popular player on the Browns is always the backup quarterback. I was hoping that history wouldn't repeat iteself, but it did. Look at how people jumped on Derrick Anderson's bandwagon. After one decent half, in the same game that Charlie had a great first half. I don't get it. Let me make this point clear. If the Browns take ANY quarterback, he is going to get his butt kicked back there. And Trent Green is too old to take that kind of beating.If the Browns care about the future of their team, they take the Wisconsin OL with the #3 pick. If he is not available, then I would like to see them take Peterson, and take the OL's with the next couple of picks.

I like what Big Zip said about drafting Calvin Johnson!I am worried about Adrian Peterson. No matter what he wants you to believe, the guy is injury prone. If your going to draft a RB 1st, trade the #3 and go in the mid-teens to draft Marshawn Lynch. Then with the extra picks work on the O-Line. But, a running back is not needed right now! If the Browns stay in the 3 slot and Johnson is there, draft him. You can get great O-Line players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds! O-Line and D-Line are musts! But, Savage has said that with the first pick he drafts the best player on his board in the draft. If CJ is there, I think that is who we get!

Any QB from any team can't do anything on the field except get sacked and scramble for dear life without a good O-Line. How is this hard to understand?!If the Browns draft another QB in the first round my eyes will roll, and so will heads probably too. The Browns haven't had the best luck with 1st round QB picks.O-LINE... DEAR LORD GIVE A QB A CHANCE OF SURVIVING

Phil Savage also said on WTAM he wants to pick up Trent Green.
I have heard the same thing. If it happens, Frye will become the #2 QB and Anderson will be cut. They will pick up some complete scrub to be #3. Also, if it happens, the evidence is complete that the head coach is desperate to win next season, just look at some of the dinosaurs he has picked up the past two seasons. I don't know exactly how it works, but somehow if the Browns cut Frye and another team picked him up then they would lose a draft pick.?.?. If the Browns cut him under those circumstances, I believe they don't think anyone would want him....bad news for Frye.Those who think the story on Frye is incomplete are mistaken. Frye is a sub .500 QB with a suspect arm, accuracy and intelligence. He is accurate when throwing 5 yard passes, but inaccurate throwing long passes. NFL games are won with big plays and he is not the guy to help Cleveland win. The best thing Frye does is scramble...it's too bad it is always with his back to the line.The good news for Frye is that mid season next year when Green goes down for the season, he will be the starter again if he is still with the team. Some of you have to admit that the thought of Frye starting another season for the Browns does not excite the media or fans of Cleveland.

Phil Savage also said on WTAM he wants to pick up Trent Green.
I have heard the same thing. If it happens, Frye will become the #2 QB and Anderson will be cut. They will pick up some complete scrub to be #3. Also, if it happens, the evidence is complete that the head coach is desperate to win next season, just look at some of the dinosaurs he has picked up the past two seasons. I don't know exactly how it works, but somehow if the Browns cut Frye and another team picked him up then they would lose a draft pick.?.?. If the Browns cut him under those circumstances, I believe they don't think anyone would want him....bad news for Frye.Those who think the story on Frye is incomplete are mistaken. Frye is a sub .500 QB with a suspect arm, accuracy and intelligence. He is accurate when throwing 5 yard passes, but inaccurate throwing long passes. NFL games are won with big plays and he is not the guy to help Cleveland win. The best thing Frye does is scramble...it's too bad it is always with his back to the line.The good news for Frye is that mid season next year when Green goes down for the season, he will be the starter again if he is still with the team. Some of you have to admit that the thought of Frye starting another season for the Browns does not excite the media or fans of Cleveland.
I figured you would put in another shot at Frye. :gun: Why do you despise him so much? Did he run over your dog? :rolleyes: Did he not give you an autographed football? :blink: We all know that you think he is the whole reason the Browns suck. :cry: Never mind that they have no supporting cast that would make any QB look bad.(See Jeff Garcia) SPARE US THE CONSTANT NAYSAYING AND LET THE PROFESSIONALS DO THEIR JOB. :nutkick:

im tired of hearing people say that charlie cant do it..... give him an offensive line that can block worth a damn and he will prove to us all that he will be able to play QB in the NFL! Until we have an offensive line, it doesnt matter who is behind center, they will fail! Wait until he gets an offensive line an then lets start a damn thread, until then let the guy be the best that he can with what he has!

Does anybody remember how Superman's contract is worded?If he "starts" this year, I think he gets 1.4 million for the year???GP1, if someone gets "cut" anybody can pick up that player without giving up anything.You are thinking of restricted FA's when you give up picks. The pick depends on the tendered offer to that player.PS Anybody that compares Couch to Frye :puke:

I believe that Charlie is good enough to be a very effective NFL starter if you give him an offensive line and a running game. The formula for success in the NFL is simple: Run the ball effectively, stop the other team from running the ball, and don't turn it over. The problem is finding enough good players to execute this plan. That has been the problem with the Browns since they returned in 1999. There are a lot of succesful QB's in the league right now mainly because they are on teams that do those things well. I'll bet if the Chargers and the Browns swaped quarterbacks (Charlie Frye for Phil Rivers). Charlie would be going to the pro bowl and Phil would be lying on his back with multiple injuries.

I must agree with those who are stating that Browns must improve offensive line above all else. Building championship teams or even decent teams start on BOTH the defensive and offensive lines. PLEASE DRAFT THOMAS FROM WISCONSIN!!!!!
i agree. thomas is the answer to alot of their questions. they need someone big to watch charlies blindside....thomas isnt big, but HUGE! get thomas!

Does anybody remember how Superman's contract is worded?If he "starts" this year, I think he gets 1.4 million for the year???
I guess I'll answer my own question. Best I could do.7/28/2005: Signed a four-year, $5 million contract. The deal included an $800,000 signing bonus. Frye received $3 million in incentives for becoming a starter. 2007: $435,000, 2008: $460,000, 2009: Free Agentsource

:( folks...i fear Charlie's days in ctown are numbered...obviously Savage has had a change of heart about his abilities...Charlie was Phil's pick not Romeo's...its fish or cut bait time on the lake and Phil and Romeo want to keep their jobs...whether or not the o'line was any good Charlie never 'jumped off the page' with anything he did...he is too much of a project at that level...the Browns don't have that kind of time...

my guess is that if anyone is gone after next season it will be romeo. this could be frye's do-or-die year also, but savage learned in baltimore that you can win a super bowl with a less-than-marquee quarterback so he'll stick with him if he shows improvement.as stated, the key is the offensive line. unless the lions make their first smart draft decision in years (don't count on it), i think the browns will take joe thomas.savage once said that, at baltimore, the draft philosphy was to take the best player available and figure out what to do with the line-up later, as opposed to drafting according to need. i also remember reading that he is not crazy about taking a quarterback with a really high pick because, historically, quite a few them have ended up being busts. thomas would be the best player available at #3 and he would definitely fill a need.

I don't think Frye will send Weis a xmas card this year.Quinn, Browns a perfect marriageNotre Dame coach Charlie Weis wants the Browns to have Brady Quinn, and Brady Quinn to have the Browns.Why? Because he wants his good friends Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage to succeed - and his star quarterback to fulfill his dream of leading his favorite team to a championship."It's a match made in heaven," Weis said Thursday by phone. "What more can you ask for? It seems to me to make too much sense. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and they'll draft him."Weis stressed that the most important thing about Quinn, a native of Dublin, Ohio, is that he grew up a diehard fan with a lifelong dream to play for the Browns."You can't pick a guy just because he's always rooted for your team, but Brady has everything it takes to be a franchise quarterback for a long time - and he loves the Browns," said Weis. "He's as passionate about the team as the fans are - and I've experienced the Dawg Pound, so I know."Weis has known Crennel since they won their first Super Bowl together with the Giants in 1990 and they won three more together in New England. He's known Savage since Savage was a newcomer on Bill Belichick's Browns staff in 1991."I'm pulling for Romeo and Phil and I want to see them succeed," said Weis. "When you're close to people, you openly root for them. You can never have enough guys like Brady Quinn. He has that special something -- that it' factor that people talk about. It permeates positive energy throughout your entire organization."Weis admitted he's been pushing Quinn to Crennel since 2005. Source and the rest of the story

If a QB is selected at # 3, this will be the last year for the Savage/Crennel system in Cleveland. They should know better. I don't give a damn about the Savage-Russel relationship or the Crennel-Weis friendship. They are here to do what is best for the team and not follow their personal fantasies.

If a QB is selected at # 3, this will be the last year for the Savage/Crennel system in Cleveland. They should know better. I don't give a damn about the Savage-Russel relationship or the Crennel-Weis friendship. They are here to do what is best for the team and not follow their personal fantasies.
Well put! I think they would have to be out of their mind to go for a QB with the #3 pick.