David Harvey

br30302004

According to a campus source, unless a miracle happens David Harvey will not be back on the field this fall (academics).  In addition, Jermaine Lindsay likely is finished at UA due to academics.There goes the depth on the WR chart.
Assuming that played out, Harvey's loss would be pretty devastating. With 10 TDs last season, he was pretty much our only offensive threat. The other WR's COMBINED for 6 TDs. Harvey's 30yd/return will be tough to replace too.Lindsay's loss wouldn't be as crippling. He is a decent WR with upside, but not nearly in Harvey's class.If Lindsay and Harvey are out, Johnny Long gets thrust back into the mix. He could easily fill in for Lindsay. We'd need to hope Vince Hill is ready to step in an fill Harvey's shoes. A tall order, but if he plays like his recruiting videos portrayed, he'd lessen the loss of Harvey substantially. He's obscenely talented.It goes without saying that Jabari will need to step it up.

Jermaine Lindsey passed 12 hours last summer in order to become eligible for '06. It's amazing what kind of academic...."miracles"..... can occur in summer courses in order to get guys eligible. I don't share your opinion on Lindsey Cap.... from what I've heard and seen if Lindsey would get his head on straight he could be a much more complete WR than Harvey. Regardless, these are our top two targets in terms of talent and JD will find a way to get one, if not both eligible IMO.

Where do you point the finger for this? Who is responsible for helping these kids stay eligible? When does JD take responsibility for recruiting all of these kids who are not eligible to play -- some ever? It's been talked about plenty of times here -- his recruiting classes are great, but when it comes to seeing the field does his recruiting class still stack up? It's beginning to look a lot like they don't. How do the big schools keep these kids eligible. How do we make this happen? I've heard before we've got a horrible tutoring program that we should be ashamed of -- is this still the case?

I'd still rather see us go after the best players. With most of these kids, you can work with them enough to keep them eligible.I remember sitting at the spring game this year, not being very impressed with the receivers, and saying "well, Arthur and Harvey aren't here". Now it looks like those receivers we saw in spring ball are actually now going to be a part of the mix. I'm a little worried.

Now now... lets look at the positives fellas. Yes Harvey is a big loss, but Lindsey is taking summer classes and SHOULD be eligible this fall just as he was last fall. But for now let's just say he's out (hypothetically of course).Look at our OffenseQB 7 Carlton Jackson 6-2, 195, So OR11 Chris Jaquemain 6-2, 210, So OR13 Sean Hakes 6-3, 200, RFrRB 3 Dennis Kennedy 5-11, 215, Jr29 Andre Walker 5-10, 185, Sr26 Alex Allen 6-0, 205, SoFB 33 Joe McDaniel 5-11, 220, Jr OR32 Joe Tuzze 5-11, 230, SoWR 17 Brandon Williams 6-1, 180, Jr-(18 Jermaine Lindsay 6-1, 165, So)***WR 12 Jabari Arthur 6-4, 225, Sr14 Johnny Long 6-1, 175, Sr4 Stephon Fuqua 6-1, 200, JrTE 84 Kris Kasparek 6-6, 265, Sr83 Merce Poindexter 6-4, 245, Jr25 Jose Cruz 6-5, 240, RFrLT 74 Chris Kemme 6-6, 300, Jr75 Corey Woods 6-5, 285, RFrLG 71 Mike Ward 6-3, 300, RFr70 Garrett Brewster 6-3, 315, JrC 64 Jim Holley 6-3, 295, Sr51 Elliott Bates 6-4, 295, SoRG 68 Mike Schepp 6-4, 315, Sr78 Zach Anderson 6-4, 295, So79 Jason Sekinger 6-9, 330, SoRT 77 Keith Huebner 6-7, 300, So69 Casey Estrada 6-5, 290, JrI'm not too worried about putting this offense on the field, I think we're freaking out a little bit.

:lol: guess someone didn't like my comment about harvey, i don't see it...lets say this,coaches need to be judges of character..unfortunately most are not trained to recognize character flaws...i'm tired of self-centered jocks who have no concept of responsibility and no concept of the world beyond their own self centerdness...ya it was neat seeing harvey perform LAST YEAR...where are you now mr. harvey...think he gave one flying .... about anybody else? obviously not...hope he hooks up at some JC somewhere...JD needs to look at character of his recruits..needless to say mr. harvey will not help JD get his next job!!!

:lol: guess someone didn't like my comment about harvey, i don't see it...
I just think that people with decency don't like to see racism cloaked in morality. The KKK was founded on racism cloaked in morality as well.

I just hope the Zips receiving corp does not become similar to the Browns OL corp, with enough guys being eliminated from the mix that they have to go and find people off the streets to fill roster sports. This continues to get worse. Although, I think most fans had already written off Johnny Long as a contributor. We might be going with two TE's, and Arthur out wide, and run the old Woody Hayes offense from the 70's.

I'd still rather see us go after the best players. With most of these kids, you can work with them enough to keep them eligible.
I'd prefer a two-star recruit on the field to a three-star recruit on academic suspension. You could compile a list of no less than 25 of JD's recruits that won't play this year. It blows my mind that the athletic department and coaching staff don't keep better tabs on academic performance and put more effort into helping these kids pass classes.

Our recent recruit, Vince Hill is both very good on the field and in the classroom. I recently read an article about him in one of the college football magazines when it was talking about the best players an who they signed with. He was ranked in the top 15 in all of the east coast, and it says on top of that, he is a pretty good kid in the classroom also. Hopefully things will work out for both him and the Zips

To get a big-picture view of this I tried to get some info on GoZips.com. What a train wreck...It seems like people are wigging out over recruits leaving like it is something new. Lee Owens had the same issues. With the exception of one season, I think Owens' graduation rated typically hovered around the 50% mark. I did find Lee's 2001 recruiting class (only one I could locate):Quit: Brendon BANKS 6-0, 190, SS, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Woodland Hills)Quit: James BATTLE 6-0, 225, LB, Cincinnati (Colerain)Quit: Dorian BEARD 6-1, 250, DL, Verona, Pa. (Penn Hills)Quit: Geoffrey BEAUCHESNE 6-5, 230, TE, Montreal, Quebec (Du Vieux)Graduated: NFL LB and Great Guy -Chase BLACKBURN 6-4, 215, DL, MarysvilleQuit : Mark CONLEY 6-2, 285, DL, LakewoodGraduated: Diontre EARL 5-11, 230, LB, Toledo (Rogers)Graduated: Dion ELIE 6-2, 185, WR, Atlanta, Ga. Lithonia/Euclid, OhioQuit: Jamie GOODWIN 5-11, 160, WR, McKeesport, Pa.Graduated: Justin HEIN 6-7, 335, OL, LakewoodQuit: Jeremy JACOBS 6-4, 245, OL, Uniontown (Green)Graduated (I believe?) But Never Played: Charlton LEWIS Braddock,Pa.(Woodland Hills)Graduated: Jason MONTGOMERY 6-1, 180, WR, Southfield, Mich. (Lathrup)Quit: Montae MURPHY 5-10 173, DB, Rankin, Pa. (Woodland Hills)Quit: Thomas PLUMMER 6-1, 215, RB, Etobicoke, Ontario (Henry Carr)Graduated: Jerell RINGER 5-11, 195, RB, Dayton (Meadowdale)Quit: Brad SHELDON 6-2, 200, LB, Rochester, Mich. (U. of Detroit Jesuit)Quit: Richard SPAULDING 6-3 210, SS, New AlbanyQuit: Marcus SUBER 6-1, 185, SS, Sacramento City CollegeGraduated(?): Vince VAUGHNS 6-2, 185, RB/FS, Oklahoma City, Okla. (Santa Fe)Quit (Good student, but quit football): Greg WILLIAMS 5-10, 185, SS, Canton (GlenOak)Quit: Chris WOOTEN 6-0, 240, LB, BedfordBrendan Banks was a recruit we allegedly "stole" from Arizona State. He was very highly touted, as was Montae Murphy. Thomas Plummer was a Rivals 4-star recruit out of Canada. Beauchesne was a 2-star recruit.That makes 14 of the 22 players signed by Lee Owens in 2001 did not complete their eligibility. At best, a 36% graduation rate. Thus - If anyone getting wistful thinking of "the good ol' Lee Owens era of recruiting" they have some pretty selective memories. I'll summarize with the following statements:1.) JD's DL recruits, prior to this 2007 class, have been profoundly disappointing. No doubt.2.) The WR situation is still TBD. I agree with IntheZone that one or both of the WR's in question right now still have a chance of being in uniform this fall.3.) Our secondary has never looked better. Great talent at the corners and safety. Lee Owens NEVER had a group like this. Jesse Smith 4-year starter, would never have seen the field if he were playing in 2007. The closest secondary we've had to this one was the early 90's era with Shawn Vincent, Robert Lyons and Vic Green.4.) Our LB's have not been this good since the Hilk/Moten/Clark group of the early 90's. 5.) The OL remains to be seen, but is largely a group of JD's recruits with excellent accolades. In the early 2000's Owens had a group that was pretty good too. It will be interesting to compare the two at season's end.6.) We have a 3-way battle for QB. I don't think Owens ever had that? Butchie was uncontested for 4 years (Gromek? Nice guy, but Puh-leeze) And once Sparks went to WR, Frye never had competition. I couldn't imagine if Johnathan Gill or Micah Fahler had to play a full season behind center.7.) RB should be as good as it was with the Hendry/Payne/Grey crew. Hopefully better. Again, time will tell. I do wish we had some Rache Culler or McCray type fullback.8.) Kicker - Owens always had good ones. Faust too. JD has struggled there, but how did he know Igor would screw up his back? I'm betting things will be much better in that department this fall.9.) Punter? I hope Stec improves. We'll see. Owens and Faust typically had good ones. 10.) In JD's 2007 press conference he alluded to the retention issues of his previous classes. He stated this class was solid and retention issues would not be a problem. I'm disappointed that some of the guys have left the program. But it is not any bizarre phenomena that's never happened before. Or that other similar schools don't deal with regularly too. Let's see how the summer plays out. Overall, I think JD has recruited some great players and we should field a very solid team this fall. We won a championship without David Harvey. No reason we couldn't do it again.

Cap'n you are usually the first one to talk about the apathetic fans and the lack of vision in the fan base. You've got issues with all the folks that don't want to dream big and the people on this string are merely pointing out a big issue with JD. They are dreaming big they are dreaming of bigger schools success rates of keeping these kids active. Quit comparing JD to Owens. We discussed in another thread that we shouldn't compare him to poor coaches from the past. It's like saying I just bought a sweet Toyota Yaris and then saying well it's better than the Chevy Aveo. No more Owens comparissons that's all I ask. Tell me about Tressel or some coach we should aspire to and their track record of keeping talent.

Captain...I like that you brought up point #4. Brian Hilk is a good friend of mine, and deserves more recognition then he got when he played here. It was pretty easy to be overlooked when you played ILB next to John Clark. I really don't think anyone is questioning the LB and Secondary situation. But it's legitimate to think that the offense is a very big question mark right now.