All Pre 2000 Zips Team

Buckzip

I know everyone is usually serious around here, but we really do need to have some fun.From memory, no cheating by looking at old rosters or teams, try to name the all time Zips pre-2000 graduation team. I just realized my memory sucks....I need some help on the lines.QB-Mike Johnson-Marcell WeemsRB-James Black-Doug Lewis-Mike ClarkWR-Willie DavisWR-Lavell Bailey-Was he pre 2000?OL-John BuddenbergOL-Mike TeifkeOL-Bryan ShawOL-Mike O'ConnorOL-Ron PasqualeTE-Chris Kelley-Jay DenholmDE- Jason TaylorDE-Pierce JoinerDT- Wayne GrantDT-Eric DrakesDT-Keith QueenerLB-John ClarkLB-Steve CockerhamLB-Brian HilkDB-Victor GreenDB-Bobby LyonsDB-Shawn VincentDB-Gary TyleyDB-Ozzie JacksonPK-Daron Alcorn-Andy Graham-Dennis HeckmanEdited-To add in guys you mentioned.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very good first pass given that it's been drawn only from memory. Kudos!I thought the LB Clark had a different 1st name (Bryan?). Also, if you get kicked off the team for selling drugs (or some drug related involvment), should you be eligible for this? :DHow about Brad "Rasor" Reese at LB? Or Paul Winters at TB?

I agree about Clark, but he was a stud. He had a real future. What an idiot.I forgot about Reese. Actually Russel Holmes too. He was a good LB. A good center in bball too.Paul Winters. I thought he was good, but I think the ones listed are a little better. Maybe Dennis Brumfield should be in there too.Actually over the years, we have had some pretty good TB's.I need a good TE. Brett Hrivnak (sic) could have been that guy. If he had grades.Orbovich was pretty good, but we have had to have better.

It was John Clark (if we're talking about the same guy). He was kicked off (according to the rumor mill on campus at the time) for selling crushed Tylenol as cocaine (I don't know if that's a fact).I actually played a pick-up game of basketball against him and some other football players one time. He was a scary dude.ZipGrad93

Nice pickup ZG93. I remember he wore #5 on the field, and he truly was an awesome talent at LB. He dominated from sideline to sideline the short time that he played.There was a pretty good WR from that era as well by the name of Chapman. Gerry got his share of talent. His players on offense did not tend to put up huge numbers, though, because they seemd to use a fairly high number of players at the skill positions.

It was John Clark. He sold a combination of tylenol and Exceed (a weight gain supplement actually supplied to him from the trainers) to an undercover cop at the gas station on Exchange and Brown.The best was that at the time Gerry was shocked that he was involved in this. Everybody knew he was dealing, he wore his pager on his uniform belt during practice.He was part of the Southern Florida group that also include Odel Robbins.I put a vote in for Chris Counahan as a Special Teams Player. He was on every coverage and return team and always busting the wedge or flying down the field to lay someone out.

John Clark was so intimidating, when I'd see him walking towards me on campus, I'd start shaking and move out of his way. :blink: He could have been a great NFL football player.Try adding a guy like Ron Pasquale to that OL. How about Phil Dunn at LB.At QB, I thought Jeff Sweitzer was just as good as Weems or Johnson. Speaking of QB, I can never forget Brian Magrell from Green. Faust inserted him into a game about mid-season of his freshman year, and he broke a single-game passing mark. He had great potential. I still don't know to this day what happened between him and Owens the following year, but he ended up leaving the team.

Another good QB was Tom Swing. I knew him in high school. He started his career at Army and transferred to Akron to be close to his high school sweethart who he eventually married. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago while involved in an auto accident in Cleveland. I wouldn't rate him ahead of Mike Johnson, but he was pretty good.

OL = Brett JacksonDB = Oz JacksonHere is a good question. John Buddenberg was a six year NFL player, time in the CFL, graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree, why isn't he in the school's Hall of Fame? The only Zips to play longer in the NFL are I believe Jason Taylor and Vic Green. The people at the Varsity A probably don't know who he even is. What a shame.....If you are going to include Gary Tyler, guys like Shannon Wolfe would have to be included. Both solid players, but not standouts.

Wasn't Alcorn Mr. Irrelevant in the NFL draft? If not, then it was Heckman.I remember it was an Akron kicker that was the last pick of the draft.Yes, it was John Clark. He had so much potential. What a waster of talent.I remember that Pasquale was a pretty good OL. I don't know if I would put Dunn ahead of any of the other guys though.Ozzie Jackson was recruited as a rb IIRC. HE was switched because of lack of DB's at the time.I thought Gary Tyler wa a pretty good CB. So was Wolfe, but I thought Tyler was better. IMHO

faust had a good ol i think tim marconi was his name.he played with jackson and akron had decent ol that year.i thought he was in the chic bears camp at one time?i do remember seeing clark on campus,and i can say he was one big scary looking guy.

Since a lot of you guys seem to remember Clark, I'll share my pickup game story...On an early Saturday afternoon, it was only a group of us from Bulger Hall and a handfull of football players shooting hoops in Memorial Hall. Normally, they wouldn't play with scrubs like us, but since it was only us in the gym, naturally we decided to play a pickup game.Most of us played high school ball, and we had some guys over 6 feet tall, so we had a little size. We were pretty decent, and knew each other pretty well. Like most football players I'd seen play during my years in college, they were great athletes, but not really basketball players. Consequently, we were tied 10-10 in a game to 11. On the next possession, they had the ball. Clark was on the baseline, about 15 feet from the basket. He was setting up to shoot. I came off my man from the wing, came from the side, and swatted his shot out of bounds. I stood all of 5' 10" and weighed about 160 lbs. He looked at me and said "Foul!" I stared back at him, and yelled "GOOD CALL!" :P Needless to say, they won the game. Football players didn't lose to guys like us, even if they lost to us, if you know what I mean...By the way, the best guy I ever saw play in The Pit or for the Zips was Anthony Buford. That guy was incredible both on the playground and in the Jar, but I guess that discussion is for another thread, LOL...ZipGrad93

Dr. Z. Great picture.We've had a lot of great defensive backs over the years. Dwight Smith is not on that list, but neither is Ozzie Jackson, who I believe was one of the nation's leaders in interceptions his senior year. Personally, I think Dwight Smith was an opportunistic player, and did get quite a few interceptions. But most fans from back then will say to me, and I agree, that he really wasn't all that great. I even have a poster from that year that didn't even indicate that he was one of the "players to watch" that year. I think he had a great year in terms of his interception numbers, but many fans wouldn't put him in a category with the best Zips DBs of all time.

Personally, I think Dwight Smith was an opportunistic player, and did get quite a few interceptions. But most fans from back then will say to me, and I agree, that he really wasn't all that great. I even have a poster from that year that didn't even indicate that he was one of the "players to watch" that year. I think he had a great year in terms of his interception numbers, but many fans wouldn't put him in a category with the best Zips DBs of all time.
I couldn't disagree more. Dwight was the best DB we've had in the past 15 years, and was an absolute "shut down" corner. He was the best I've seen in a Zips uniform. He pretty much single-handedly won several games during his career. It is unfathomable how bad some of Lee Owens' defenses would have been without him.That 40-below-zero game @ K.e.n.t his senior year was one of the most impressive individual performances I've ever seen in college football. Too bad there were only about 261 people there to witness it.Vic Greene...maybe Bobby Lyons were at his level...but that's about it.Dwight Smith Ruled/Rules :rock:

How about the one with a ring?DwightSmith.jpg
Unless my memory is even worse than I thought, wasn't he after 2000?I know he is one of our best, if not best, DB's ever. However, I thought he was more recent.If I am wrong, he certainly should be there. :unsure: See guys, Isn't this much more fun than being serious all of the time????? :wave: Captain, I am shocked that you haven't listed some I missed.Anyone else that remembers Nerim Gumbalia, or however the hell you spell it, has to remember some good football players too.