All Pre 2000 Zips Team

Buckzip

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think Dwight Smith was an opportunistic player, and did get quite a few interceptions.  But most fans from back then will say to me, and I agree, that he really wasn't all that great.  I even have a poster from that year that didn't even indicate that he was one of the "players to watch" that year.  I think he had a great year in terms of his interception numbers, but many fans wouldn't put him in a category with the best Zips DBs of all time.
I couldn't disagree more. Dwight was the best DB we've had in the past 15 years, and was an absolute "shut down" corner. He was the best I've seen in a Zips uniform. He pretty much single-handedly won several games during his career. It is unfathomable how bad some of Lee Owens' defenses would have been without him.That 40-below-zero game @ K.e.n.t his senior year was one of the most impressive individual performances I've ever seen in college football. Too bad there were only about 261 people there to witness it.Vic Greene...maybe Bobby Lyons were at his level...but that's about it.Dwight Smith Ruled/Rules :rock:
AMEN!!!!!!!!I don't like to pick the greatest player ever, but if you were to look at the top three Zips of all time, Smith, Jason Taylor and Mike Clark are easily the three best players to ever play at Akron.Smith could shut down the other team's best WR, he played WR, he returned punts, he returned kickoffs and he blocked kicks. You name it and he could do it. A real "football player".

Interesting comments. I know quite a few fans, who have been faithful fans over the last 30 years, and are very knowledgeable about the x's and o's of football, that feel differently than some of you about D. Smith. Seems as if the DLs are really difficult to pick. This is the dilemma of most teams at the mid major level: Not enough great DLs to even remember them.

Wayne Anderson was an excellent nose guard and I liked Harold Robinson as a WR/KR, always a threat to run back a kick all the way. I would give Dwight Smith the benefit of the doubt since he was our only All-American (Phil Dunn was a freshman AA). Bill Rudison could really sail his punts, he was fun to watch in pre-game warmups. Darren Alcorn was drafted as Mr. Irrelevant (last pick) but it's pretty tough to get a kicking job in the NFL since the good ones stick around for so long. I remember Shannon Wolfe getting beat on a long pass, never even looking back for the ball, then picking himself up off the ground, looking to the coaches and throwing his hands up in the air in frustration...I was never too impressed with him after that.

Hilk and Moten were two of the top 5 LB's of that era. Maybe the top 2?Buddenberg's a top 5 OL.I can't put Clark on an All-anything team. 1 year in a Zips football uniform + 3 in an orange jump suit gets him no recognition in my book.I wonder what his rap sheet is now-a-days? And "Smokin' Crack" Mack Warren? And Marcus Reliford, who was much more adept at breaking through off-campus housing windows than breaking through any opponents defensive lines? Yes...Faust took too many chances.

Hilk and Moten were two of the top 5 LB's of that era. Maybe the top 2?Buddenberg's a top 5 OL.I can't put Clark on an All-anything team. 1 year in a Zips football uniform + 3 in an orange jump suit gets him no recognition in my book.I wonder what his rap sheet is now-a-days? And "Smokin' Crack" Mack Warren? And Marcus Reliford, who was much more adept at breaking through off-campus housing windows than breaking through any opponents defensive lines? Yes...Faust took too many chances.
I listed Hilk, and I agree. Didn't Clark play 2 years though? I know what you are saying about him being a low life, but he was a helluva player.As for Moten, I thought he was a DB. Am I wrong again?If he was a LB would you put him ahead of Cockerham, Reese, Holmes and Hilk?Reliford was the transfer from Colorado I believe. He was behind Lewis for a couple of years. I feel Lewis is one the most underrated Zip I can think of. The kid was a stud, but noone really talks about him.

Yes, Reliford was the transfer from Colorado. He and Lewis played at the same time. Reliford could have been a great running back, but apparently he really needed a new TV instead.Some people considered Doug Lewis to be Faust's best recruit up to that time. He belongs on that team, and was one of the best we ever had.Hilk played for several years in the CFL, and it doesn't even mention him on our school's official website page that lists players that played in either the NFL or CFL. That's sad. When we talk about Clark and Hilk being the two best inside LBs we ever had, the funny thing is that they played together at the same time. I like the reference to Clark spending more time in an orange jumpsuit than a football uniform. :lol: But, he did play two years, was the best LB we ever had, and belongs on the team. I absolutely disagree with anyone who says that Faust took too many chances. It was necessary to grow our program. When someone didn't work out, he canned them. Nothing wrong with giving a guy a chance if you stick to your word and boot them if they don't hold up their end of the bargain. And he did stick to his word with two of the best players he ever had, unlike what many coaches will do in the same situation. Buddenburg might be the best OL we've ever had. He's a lock. Looking for more DLs? How about Eric Drakes or Chris Haskins? (I know, we've always been pretty slim at DL). More OLs? I want to make a case again for Mike O'Connor at Center. LBs? I haven't heard anyone mention Bruce Keys. And I had mentioned Phil Dunn previously. What's funny is that on this entire thread, Owens era players are not mentioned very frequently. Coincidence? I think not.

I remember Hilk and Clartk billboards calling them salt and pepper.O'Connor is on the list. Eric Drakes should be there. Good call. I will add him.I have Phil Dunn in the same catagory as Dwayne LeFall.He came in looking like he would be a super stud, but he never got any better.Yes, he was a good player, just like LeFall. However, after their freshman years, you would have thought they would both be AA by the time they were finished.Maybe someone could do an all Lee Owens team.The only guys I can think of are Frye, Cherry, and D. Smith.

WOW...I can't believe someone else remembers the "salt and pepper" marketing campaign for Clark and Hilk. For whatever it's worth, I might have to go with Mike Johnson if I had to pick one quarterback. Although, I'm very partial to Sweitzer as well. Weems was probably the best running QB of that era, Johnson the best passer, and Sweitzer was a pretty decent combination of both. It's a tough call. At some point, maybe you can start a new thread with the revised list. Also, you might want to consider 4 LBs and 3 DLs since our talent pool was certainly better at LB. This thread is bringing back a lot of old memories. Nice work.

Good memory.The year before Sweitzer became the starter (Johnson's senior year) I was at a game where he returned two punts for touchdowns. Sweitzer became the starter the next year, and a new offensive coordinator came in and brought us the very unique pass-and-pitch option offense. Sweitzer had a lot of oppotunities to run in that offense, and throw on roll outs. It was the perfect offense for him. And Weems followed by doing a pretty good job of running it as well.

Derrick Alston (#33) was a great RB. Had 100+ rushing yards against Tennessee back in 1990?I like the Chuck Webb reference. At times he was a man amongst boys.It is a shame that a lot of the aforementioned guys don't remain close to the program. I see Hilk and Buddenberg at the golf outings, but a lot of the other guys have dropped off the face of the earth. Too bad. Whether they realize it or not, they are a big reason why we finally are getting REAL 1-A facilities and a genuine commitment to 1-A football. They all have a legit reason to have moved on from UA...the clowns we've seen over the past 20 years that control the athletics department have been pretty forgettable, to say the least...but these guys layed the groundwork for the dramatic upgrades that are going to happen over the next couple years and I wish they'd actively be a part of it. I wish the University would reach out to these guys. They deserve it. :rock:

i have to agreee with one of the posters about bruce keys playing a lb.the guy was huge for a lb 6'5 245.he moved real well for a guy his size.i thought he was always one of the guys that should have had more pub.besides clark & hilk i thought he was one of our al time best.

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated to include guys that were mentioned.We need to narrow this down to the starting 22.We need the best at each position. Any help would be appreciated.QB-Mike Johnson-Marcell WeemsRB-James Black-Doug Lewis-Mike ClarkWR-Willie DavisWR-Lavell Bailey- OL-John BuddenbergOL-Mike TeifkeOL-Bryan ShawOL-Mike O'ConnorOL-Ron PasqualeTE-Chris Kelley-Jay DenholmDE- Jason TaylorDE-Pierce JoinerDT- Wayne GrantDT-Eric DrakesDT-Keith QueenerLB-John ClarkLB-Steve CockerhamLB-Brian HilkLB-Bruce KeysDB-Victor GreenDB-Bobby LyonsDB-Shawn VincentDB-Gary TyleyDB-Ozzie JacksonPK-Daron Alcorn-Andy Graham-Dennis Heckman

How could someone say that Dwight Smith wasn't that good? My cousin (who was a 4 year db at Ohio State) came to a few Akron games with me. He asked who Smith was without me telling him he was our best player. He said and I quote..."That guy is legit. He could play in the Big Ten with just about any team he wanted. Your other db's are horrible." I will take his opinion being a Big Ten db over most posters.

How could someone say that Dwight Smith wasn't that good? My cousin (who was a 4 year db at Ohio State) came to a few Akron games with me. He asked who Smith was without me telling him he was our best player. He said and I quote..."That guy is legit. He could play in the Big Ten with just about any team he wanted. Your other db's are horrible." I will take his opinion being a Big Ten db over most posters.
Pre 2000 is the team. DS graduated after 2000. He would certainly be there if this were all time.