Sept 8, 2001

Big Zip

The last Akron/Ohio State match up. Just flipping through the rededication of Ohio Stadium program -- how far has this program come?Starting first game of his career Charlie Frye at QBJake Schifino SEKonrad Dean LTAaron Conley LGScott Smith CPaul Ondrusek RGJeff Grzeskowiak RTNick Fortner TEMatthew Cherry FLKMatt Zuercher FBBrandon Payne TBDefense:Marques Hayes DEChris Smith DTRyan Schulz DTRyan Gargsz DEEd March WhipTerrel Colbert LBRyan Myers LBBrad Detwiler SSJohn Fuller FSRickey McKenzie CBCorvin Amos CB

Excellent find Big Zip. Interesting.I'd say that the program is better now. I don't fee like going position by position, but the group of RBs, WRs and TEs are better now as a group. The offensive line is about the same. I always thought the offensive line during that period was really good. Two on this list either spent time on an NFL roster or in camp. The current offensive line will have one NFL player and maybe one make camp. It's no secret that I'd take just about anyone over Frye....the guy just doesn't win.Even less to say about the defense. They are far more talented now as a group and probably by position. The biggest problem we have now is the awful 3-3-5 defense we play and not the players.One person not on the list is the kicker. I think it was Zac Derr. If it was, the 2001 team had a faaaaaaaaaar better kicker.

how far has this program come?A long way. I checked the current roster and none of these guys are still with the team. Whats wrong with KD that he can't keep guys with the program? :unsure:
I agree. If we could have held this group together for another 6 years we would have crushed the Buckeyes this year. Stupid NCAA eligibility rules...

GP1, sorry I have to call you out on your comment"WRs and TEs are better now as a group"what does that mean exactly? For WR I think most people would much rather have Schifino (an NFL draft pick) and Matt Cherry over unproven Jabari Arthur and company. And your comment re: Frye is just too ridiculous to debate.

GP1, sorry I have to call you out on your comment"WRs and TEs are better now as a group"what does that mean exactly? For WR I think most people would much rather have Schifino (an NFL draft pick) and Matt Cherry over unproven Jabari Arthur and company. And your comment re: Frye is just too ridiculous to debate.
I looked at the entire group together as I really don't have the time to go positon by position. I include running backs as well. We have two solid TEs right now and both could get a shot at the NFL. WRs were probably betther then. Running backs are not only better now, but the depth is much better.I'll let Frye's record as a starting QB stand for itself.

I say if we could pair the 2001 offense and special teams with this year's defense, we'd have a team that would be very competitive. In spite of this, I think the program has improved overall, and defense is the place where you need to focus to have the type of program that sustains itself and develops some consistency.BTW, I'm pretty sure this is the "pre-injury" Brandon Payne, a player who I thought was really quite talented and productive.

Ala Kenny Roda, I realize they are said just to get a reaction, but I love the research that goes into some of the comments that end up on these posts...We had pathetic defenses while Charlie Frye was the quarterback. The Zips averaged 28.4 points a game during his tenure, yet they gave up 31.3 points a game. They were 21-25 during his four years. Anyone who actually went to games realizes that without him we wouldn't have won that many. I believe the troubles he is having in the NFL (i.e. forcing throws, trying to make plays) is a direct result of the multitude of times he had to bail the Zips out.

I don't get it. Are you guys saying that you feel the WR we have now are better than Schifino and Cherry? I certainly don't. Potentially yes, but not yet.Also, I think Dean is better than any of our 0-line except Kemme. I agree about the db's and LB's, and QB. Other than that, I am not so sure this team is better.If I could choose between this team and that team, I would choose that team.What is sad to me it that I thought we have come a lot further than we really have.I am saying this as the team is right now. Not what some of the talent may become, but as of right now.

One of the great things I remember about the 2001 game is that the Zips didnot play at all like they were intimidated by the Buckeyes or the hostile environment. Tressle said that Akron's lines were tough and held their ground. It's going to be interesting to see how our new Zips hold up to the pressure. :screwks:

If I could choose between this team and that team, I would choose that team.
That team went 4-7. The only teams they beat were horrible (OU, Can't State, Buffalo and EMU). I feel pretty confident that this year's team will have a better record.....it wouldn't take much. I feel good about this year's team getting at a minumum 5-6 wins. Sorry for the optimism.

scottditzen...I agree with you. Let GP1's comment about Frye categorize itself, which puts it in the "idiotic" category, at best. Everyone knows how bad some of those teams would have been without the leadership (and sometimes heroics) of Charlie Frye.Looking back at that 2001 team, we need to keep in mind that we played the Suckeyes at a really, really, really weak point in their existence. Our 2001 team was typical of most of Owens teams...they beat a handful of bad teams, but could not beat anyone else.I think that possibly we were a little bit more talented offensively than we will be this year, but that era brought us some of the most sorry excuses for defenses as this program will hopefully ever see. So, I'd certainly take today's team over 2001.

scottditzen...I agree with you. Let GP1's comment about Frye categorize itself, which puts it in the "idiotic" category, at best. Everyone knows how bad some of those teams would have been without the leadership (and sometimes heroics) of Charlie Frye.
Akron may have been equally as bad with Nick Sparks. I don't know this for sure, but you folks don't really know if Frye would have won more with a better defense or whatever of the 10,000 excuses some of you have for the guy. What we know for sure is that he did just enough to lose.What we also know is that Frye's brand of heroics and leadership are doing nothing for the Browns either.We also know that one year after we lost Frye's heroics and leadership, we won the MAC with a team less talented than the year before. HummmmmmmIf you guys really want to continue this discussion, I could lead you hacks around all day. I'd rather not though as the challenge just isn't there any more. It's become too easy. :cheers:

Are you honestly going to say that Getsy was the reason Akron won the MAC East? I thought it had more to do with the East being terrible and all the moons happened to align (ie..all the teams lost that had to) in order for us to win the title. We didn't really win it, we kind of slid into it. I am not complaining though.Did Frye happen to give up 30 points a game like the D did? For 10 years we have had potent offenses and zero D. Now all the sudden we have a good D and no O. Back to Getsy...wasn't he the guy that had a losing record last year with probably the most talented team Akron has placed on the field in YEARS?

We could sit for days on end and speculate the reasons one team or era was better/worse than the other. Those are intangibles. Yes, we got to a Bowl 2 years ago, but what happened last year with what was suppose to be a stellar class of athletes? We went into the proverbial toilet. We need to focus on this year, and let everything be what it really is, just another part of Zips footabll history.

I'm not surprised that GP1 shows his lack of knowledge about football by stooping even lower, to the "why hasn't Charlie done anything for the Browns?" argument.Apparently you see the Browns as a very capable football team, and the QB is the problem.Ever heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy? I guess you've decided to believe whatever you want to believe, and keep telling yourself over and over again that you are accurate, regardless of the facts. That's certainly your choice.

What we know for sure is that he did just enough to lose.What we also know is that Frye's brand of heroics and leadership are doing nothing for the Browns either.We also know that one year after we lost Frye's heroics and leadership, we won the MAC with a team less talented than the year before. HummmmmmmIf you guys really want to continue this discussion, I could lead you hacks around all day. I'd rather not though as the challenge just isn't there any more. It's become too easy.
Boy it's just not as fun to argue on here as it was in person. I will certainly miss that this fall..Since I've made so many new friends on the other posts, figured it was again time to add my two cents.Since about 2001 you've made the same argument when it comes to Frye. (at least you have been consistent) While I would certainly not dispute the facts, yes he had a losing record- to continually call him out for his record is getting really old. You make it sound like he took over a sound/winning program and took it to hell. In the end he was just another qb in a long history of Zip qb's that ended with a losing record.What other qb in the last 20 years ended with a winning record who had at least 15 starts? Mike Johnson? In 2005 all we heard was that Luke was a winner.....great!! By the end of 2006, his record ended just like most others....sub .500.No one wants to win more than I do..but to continually place all the "losing" blame on Frye is ridiculous. Many of former Zip qb's have been there before him. He just happened to be the most talented.(in my UA tenure)

how far has this program come.give me a break?the 2001 offense had five guys drafted in the pro's. we had the best at akron ever.we will have to see how this game is played out but no way we have the offensive talent. the 2001 team gave osu fits,and they were in the game until late in the fourth quarter.the team may have went 4-7, but our offense could score some points on anybody.our wr corps is no where near the talent of the 2001.