Speaking of Everything...

Captain Kangaroo

1cosell.jpgHoward Cosell used to have a show on am radio called "Speaking of Everything."I guess this is my version.Speaking of the Buffalo game....Who'da thunk in August that we'd take a methodical beating from Buffalo? Give Turner Gill credit...he's done in 1.5 years what we've been waiting to see from JD for four, right? We'll...maybe not. See, Gill is winning with the previous coach's players, not his own recruits. I guess we need to see what the guy can do in year #4 before we can call him a great coach. At least that seems to be the popular logic on the board?And Speaking of Lee Owens...I remember early in Owens' tenure he was saddled with some horrific QB play. Junko...who knows who the other guys were, but they were absolutely atrocious. Owens pulled Greg Gromek's redshirt and started him the final four games. I think we won all four? So with that, I say...Speaking of Carlton Jackson...What can it hurt to put the guy in? Unless he knocked off a liquor store, or has a GPA in the Bluto Blutarski-range, I think the guy has served his time and needs to get back on the field. He beat K.e.n.t. He moved the ball against Indiana. I'm tired of seeing mediocre QB play.And Speaking of CJ11...The guy's play is still lackluster. But he is improving from game-to-game. It just seems like, when we need a big play, he blows it. Wastes a throw downfield on 4th and 10. Plunges into the line on 3rd and 3. Throws the errant pass to wide open WR's when we need it most. But the Zips offensive struggles are far from all his fault.Speaking of Bryan Williams and Alex AllenBryan Williams drops a sure 33 yard TD pass. With the Zips small margin for error, you simply can't do that. Alex Allen drops a sweep toss at the 5 yard line that's a sure 6 points. That's not on CJ11. The Buffalo loss was a "team loss."And Speaking of Dennis KennedyWhere is this guy in goal line situations? That's where he's "money." Just ask NC State. If Allen is going to be dropping the ball in the red zone, my vote is to use DK. Unless he's injured.And Speaking of Red Zone ProblemsJesus...Can our offense have any less confidence the closer we get to the goal line. A couple weeks ago we were at the 5 yard line and we threw on four consecutive downs. This week, we have 1st and 5 from the 8 yard line and we run every down? Two diametrically opposed strategies...but the same result. It sucked to watch Buffalo methodically push the ball into the endzone whenever they got close. And we turn into Laurel and Hardy.And Speaking of the Defense...To me, it was another decent effort by the defense. Not great...the DB's surrendered 3 TD passes on only 14 attempts from the Buffalo QB...but at SOME point the offense has to give you a chance. Giving up 26 points should be sufficient to win a football game in 2007. Even against a vastly improved team like Buffalo.And Speaking of Buffalo...This was their 4th game of the year at home. Conversely, through November 6th, the Zips will have had a whopping two games at the Rubber Bowl. TWO! What an unfair schedule! What other team in the nation had the odds stacked against them like that? Pick on CJ11...the defense, the staff, the recruiting, whatever. The year the Lee Owens supporters gloat over his gaudy 7-5 record, the guy had SIX home games, and two were against bad 1-AA schools! Five of those six were held prior to October 18th!Speaking of JD and Staff...I am really shocked...baffled...astounded at the "Fire the Coach" talk going on. The guy hasn't finished his 4th season...he's won a championship...been to a bowl...and we need new blood? Come on. His initial recruiting classes had substandard player retention. No doubt. Any you can see it's effects this year. Someone posted that in the Temple game, Temple played 10 more players than Akron. That's because they were deeper. Most teams are. But the 2007 recruiting class, the vast majority of whom are being red shirted, is a stellar one. Not the fool's gold of the 2006 class, but legit stuff. If JD can back it up with another solid class in 2008, the depth issues we've seen manifest themselves in the 2nd half of most games, should disappear immediately. What do I want to see out of the staff from here on out? To be honest, our young offense has progressed tremendously over the past several weeks. But we aren't putting the ball in the endzone. And that is a 50/50 blame split amongst the players and coaches. That MUST change. We need a swagger in the red zone. That comes from the QB, IMO.BG is bad. OU is terrible. Those are two games we simply must suck-it-up and win. I also want to see a win vs. either Miami or CMU. Miami is a decent team, but certainly not the Rotlisberger-led juggernaut of the early 2000's. A motivated Zips team can win in Oxford. CMU? I saw how we ended the season against WMU last year. I don't want to see that again. CMU gave up 70 points to Clemson. We stop LeFever and we win. I want to see the staff and team finish the season strong. Despite the BS schedule, 6-6, with continued improvement, should be expected. And speaking of the end of the season...My lunch break has ended. :wave:

Capt.: I agree with you 100 %. If you read some of JD's comment from his press conference, he stated that DK is just not running the way that he used to and he doesn't have explanation why. You mentioned the lack of home games. I agree with you, but some of that is our fault. We got the opportunity to play Army in Cleveland for the Patriot Bowl, and it was considered 1 of our home games. When this was announced, I was opposed to it and still am today. Everyone on these boards was so happy we were playing in Cleveland. Reasons ranged from : we're not laying at the the RB to if we're playing in Cleveland there will be 30,000 - 40,000 in attendance. We didn't even get 20,000 for that game. We would have gotten the same amount of people to the RB, since it was the first game of the season! I am not looking to have JD fired, but some changes have got to be made. You mention the play calling in the red zone in 2 of the games. This is exactly what I am talking about. Yes, I also know that this is JD's 4th year as a head coach anywhere, and that he is till learning the ropes. That is all well and good, but at whose and waht expense?Keep up the good work Captain.

Captain, Nice post. I agree 100%.Perhaps if we can get a good/elegible recruiting class this year things will start to turn around.JD is a young coach. I am sure he is learning as he goes too.

1cosell.jpgHoward Cosell used to have a show on am radio called "Speaking of Everything."I guess this is my version.Speaking of the Buffalo game....Who'da thunk in August that we'd take a methodical beating from Buffalo? Give Turner Gill credit...he's done in 1.5 years what we've been waiting to see from JD for four, right? We'll...maybe not. See, Gill is winning with the previous coach's players, not his own recruits. I guess we need to see what the guy can do in year #4 before we can call him a great coach. At least that seems to be the popular logic on the board?And Speaking of Lee Owens...I remember early in Owens' tenure he was saddled with some horrific QB play. Junko...who knows who the other guys were, but they were absolutely atrocious. Owens pulled Greg Gromek's redshirt and started him the final four games. I think we won all four? So with that, I say...Speaking of Carlton Jackson...What can it hurt to put the guy in? Unless he knocked off a liquor store, or has a GPA in the Bluto Blutarski-range, I think the guy has served his time and needs to get back on the field. He beat K.e.n.t. He moved the ball against Indiana. I'm tired of seeing mediocre QB play.And Speaking of CJ11...The guy's play is still lackluster. But he is improving from game-to-game. It just seems like, when we need a big play, he blows it. Wastes a throw downfield on 4th and 10. Plunges into the line on 3rd and 3. Throws the errant pass to wide open WR's when we need it most. But the Zips offensive struggles are far from all his fault.Speaking of Bryan Williams and Alex AllenBryan Williams drops a sure 33 yard TD pass. With the Zips small margin for error, you simply can't do that. Alex Allen drops a sweep toss at the 5 yard line that's a sure 6 points. That's not on CJ11. The Buffalo loss was a "team loss."And Speaking of Dennis KennedyWhere is this guy in goal line situations? That's where he's "money." Just ask NC State. If Allen is going to be dropping the ball in the red zone, my vote is to use DK. Unless he's injured.And Speaking of Red Zone ProblemsJesus...Can our offense have any less confidence the closer we get to the goal line. A couple weeks ago we were at the 5 yard line and we threw on four consecutive downs. This week, we have 1st and 5 from the 8 yard line and we run every down? Two diametrically opposed strategies...but the same result. It sucked to watch Buffalo methodically push the ball into the endzone whenever they got close. And we turn into Laurel and Hardy.And Speaking of the Defense...To me, it was another decent effort by the defense. Not great...the DB's surrendered 3 TD passes on only 14 attempts from the Buffalo QB...but at SOME point the offense has to give you a chance. Giving up 26 points should be sufficient to win a football game in 2007. Even against a vastly improved team like Buffalo.And Speaking of Buffalo...This was their 4th game of the year at home. Conversely, through November 6th, the Zips will have had a whopping two games at the Rubber Bowl. TWO! What an unfair schedule! What other team in the nation had the odds stacked against them like that? Pick on CJ11...the defense, the staff, the recruiting, whatever. The year the Lee Owens supporters gloat over his gaudy 7-5 record, the guy had SIX home games, and two were against bad 1-AA schools! Five of those six were held prior to October 18th!Speaking of JD and Staff...I am really shocked...baffled...astounded at the "Fire the Coach" talk going on. The guy hasn't finished his 4th season...he's won a championship...been to a bowl...and we need new blood? Come on. His initial recruiting classes had substandard player retention. No doubt. Any you can see it's effects this year. Someone posted that in the Temple game, Temple played 10 more players than Akron. That's because they were deeper. Most teams are. But the 2007 recruiting class, the vast majority of whom are being red shirted, is a stellar one. Not the fool's gold of the 2006 class, but legit stuff. If JD can back it up with another solid class in 2008, the depth issues we've seen manifest themselves in the 2nd half of most games, should disappear immediately. What do I want to see out of the staff from here on out? To be honest, our young offense has progressed tremendously over the past several weeks. But we aren't putting the ball in the endzone. And that is a 50/50 blame split amongst the players and coaches. That MUST change. We need a swagger in the red zone. That comes from the QB, IMO.BG is bad. OU is terrible. Those are two games we simply must suck-it-up and win. I also want to see a win vs. either Miami or CMU. Miami is a decent team, but certainly not the Rotlisberger-led juggernaut of the early 2000's. A motivated Zips team can win in Oxford. CMU? I saw how we ended the season against WMU last year. I don't want to see that again. CMU gave up 70 points to Clemson. We stop LeFever and we win. I want to see the staff and team finish the season strong. Despite the BS schedule, 6-6, with continued improvement, should be expected. And speaking of the end of the season...My lunch break has ended. :wave:

Captain....I don't always agree with you, but this analysis is pretty close to exactly how I feel about everything right now. Let me also add something...Those couple of years where LO had 7 wins did include wins over some bad 1-AA teams, but it also included some wins over some very bad 1-A teams as well. Look it up.

My additions:Offense: The loss of three quality receivers in 2007 has been too much to overcome. Jabari is doubled and Williams is keyed on, which has left us misfiring. Line will be a strength going forward. Defense: Has played pretty good. If our offense could move the ball less points would have been put up on us this year. Next year we look like we will be good again on D, but we will lose some skill. Should CJ7 move to defensive back in 2008 if he does not make it at QB? I think he should consider this move as this may be his best shot at a professional football career and Akron may need help in the secondary in 2008. Special Teams: We are in good shape here, finally.Recruiting: Past mistakes on questionable student athletes are haunting us. It will take two years to recover. Brookhart knows now not to gamble on so many kids with questionable grades going forward. Who should Akron target for 2008 - Eric Magnacca out of Massilon Perry. He has speed and toughness. OSU wants him as a safety, but maybe he wants to run the ball. His Dad is an Akron grad. We need several quality tailbacks recruited for the 2009 season.Coaching: Stay with JD, but we need a coordinator to work with this offense.

Great Post Captain and UA1987 as well. JD is a quality coach and is learning as he goes. I think he is doing a good job, but he needs to get in the ear of the OC this year and next, that is his background, he needs to question the calls at times IMO.UA1987 stated that we are in good shape with the Special Teams, isn't that the group that JD is working with? JD has vastly turned that area around, kicking and punting has gotten better, granted having Igor back helps, but Stec has improved tremendously.JD is a quality coach and person, he cares a great deal for his players and is always upfront and doesn't usually hold anything back from the fans! I never bought season tickets for Akron Football until I met JD, granted UA is my alma mater, but I never needed to buy tickets, still don't cause of my current position, but I buy them in support of JD and because I believe in what he is trying to do.

I too am shocked by the "fire the coach" talk going on. Also, the comments that JD is just trying to pad his resume at Akron are silly. Where did you all hear that? Did he tell you personally? Even if he did .......WHO DOESN’T try to pad their resume!! Who doesn’t strive for greater pay, promotions and to live in their place of choice? If he wasn’t trying to working towards these things, he wouldn’t be worth having. If we want to restrict our coaching searches to locals and alum - the choices are going to be limited. We are lucky with K.D.For those of you wanting J.D's head - take a look at these numbers….20056-5 regular season record3-2 at home3-3 on the road6 of 11 games on the road4 of the first 6 games were on the roadMAC ChampsMCB20065-7 regular season record4-1 at home1-6 on the road 7 of 12 games on the road5 of the first 6 games on the road - including Penn State, N.C.State, Cincy20073-5 record so far2-1 at home1-4 on the road 7 of 12 games on the road4 of the first 6 games on the road - including Ohio State, Indiana and UConnTotals9-4 at home5-13 on the road13 of first 18 games played on the roadnearly 60% of games played on the roadThis isn’t a scenario to "Pad" you resume. Hell, you just try to survive without tarnishing your rep too much. I can’t see too many people thriving with this set up. We start the year with powerhouses, get beat up, never gain momentum and come back to discouraged fans. These schedules are suicide. We have got to reconsider whatever strategy this is.Bag all the high profile "money games" until we are ready. Start off at home and schedule some winnable games, everyone will have fun and allow the team to develop instead of heal.I said it before and I will say it again. We are lucky to have J.D. If Colorado State becomes available, how could you blame him for wanting to coach at his alma mater (like K.D.)? He made the decision to go there years ago for a good reason, why wouldn’t he want to return?

"Someone posted that in the Temple game, Temple played 10 more players than Akron"thanks capt. i was hoping that someone was going to pick up on that. we simply aren't that deep of a team. our starters are enough to win more than they loose but the depth certainly isn't there. that should change with another strong recruiting class with many freshmen contributing already this year. seeing Jac as the starting Qb for this week still baffles me. there has to be something to this. i look for a pos. change or Cj is a Qb for a I AA team next year. many say that Cj could move over to Cb next year but I'd really like to try DK there as he was also recruited as a Cb. he certainly has the speed and size wise makes more sense than Wr. coachinglike many i am very concerned about the offensive play calling but what worries me is that if Akron does let coach Moorehead go they'd be letting their best recruiter go. Many of the guys who have stuck and contributed to the program are his guys. Now, can he coach them? I still don't know.The season isn't lost but it is on life support. If Akron can get to 6-7 wins I'll be happy this year and I think JD would be too although he wouldn't tell you. :screwks:

Cap'n I'm not sure why you would be surprised by the fire JD conversation. You have been one of the leading proponents of expecting more than mediocrity from Akron athletics. Now that people are expecting more I would say you are backing down from your expectations. You were the one who thought this team could win the MAC East this year and now that they look like they aren't going to figure in the top half of the division your questioning other people who think the coach should be canned? It doesn't seem consistent to me. Financially speaking I don't see firing JD as an option and at this point it might not even be the right decision, but you have to admit four years in nobody on this board was expecting our high point to be his first year. The expectation was to get better every year and now it looks like we are going the other way. I always appreciate your opinion and look for your rational thoughts after a loss when most of us are pulling our hair out. Please tell me you aren't really asking the question why people are calling for JD's head. People have upped their expectations

Cap'n I'm not sure why you would be surprised by the fire JD conversation. You have been one of the leading proponents of expecting more than mediocrity from Akron athletics. Now that people are expecting more I would say you are backing down from your expectations. You were the one who thought this team could win the MAC East this year and now that they look like they aren't going to figure in the top half of the division your questioning other people who think the coach should be canned? It doesn't seem consistent to me. Financially speaking I don't see firing JD as an option and at this point it might not even be the right decision, but you have to admit four years in nobody on this board was expecting our high point to be his first year. The expectation was to get better every year and now it looks like we are going the other way. I always appreciate your opinion and look for your rational thoughts after a loss when most of us are pulling our hair out. Please tell me you aren't really asking the question why people are calling for JD's head. People have upped their expectations
I've seen my share of bad coaching in Akron over the past 20 years. I don't see bad coaching with JD. I see some bad recruiting stratagies...ones that seemingly have been rectified...with the exception of recruiting a stud QB...but I don't see bad coaching. OK...the offense needs some creativity too...but I think that is due in large part to the lack of a stud QB and the aforementioned retention issues. The offense has gradually become more creative and effective as the season has progressed.If JD's 2007 #1 recruiting class was like the 2006 retention-wise, I'd be concerned. But it doesn't appear to be.I see Notre Dame fire Ty Willingham after 3 years. With all ND's resources, they hired a multi-million dollar bust that's probably not capable of beating the upper-tier MAC teams on a neutral field.I see Randy Edsall at UCONN who followed up his Motor City Bowl championship, 8-4, 2004 season with a 5-6 and 3-9 campaign. And those wins he had in those two seasons would make Lee Owens blush...Rhode Island...Liberty...Buffalo. Now UCONN is Top 25 and playing great. Should the guy have been fired because two years after the MCB he went 3-9?Changing coaches every 3-4 years is suicide. JD deserves 5-6 years to see what he can do. Not 9 years like Dan Hipsher or Lee Owens or Gerry Faust...but by 5-6 years you should have an accurate read on the guy's ability. After 3.6 years, I see sufficient hope that JD will be fine. It would be a big help if he can pull a Nate Davis-type impact QB out of this class, that's for sure.I predicted 9-3...8-4 worst case in August. I'm doing better than Phil Steele, at 100% less salary. And the Zips still have a shot at 7-5. That wouldn't be such a bad miss. Help a brutha' out, JD!

im all for giving jd the rest of the year,but the fact is we are one of the worst teams in d-1 football right now.teams like buffalo,and temple are findng ways to win.i am so sick of some akron fans making excuses for the coaching staff.we lost to buffalo,and temple not ohio state,and usc. if he does not win next year then we need to find another coach.i still think the kicking game and defense are good enough to win in the mac.the offense coaching is another story.no one hear seems to know what cj7 did be benched.unless changes are made next year i do not see the offense getting better.is there one team in the mac that c11 could start for? maybe rogers is the answer but i doubt if it's cj11.jd can stick with cj11 but we are going now where right now.

i hope the ast psoter is right,and aklron will cj7.i thought the defense /kicking ame played well enough to contend for the mac title this year.the dand kicking game were by no means dominate but gave the zips plenty of chances to win games.if cj7 goes in and plays bad then at least yo have given him a chance.i dont mean just one seriers either.they need to use these last three games to evaluate the underclassman for next year

From my ever increasingly less informed perspective............I just looked at that schedule again (closely and carefully) and it makes me want to puke. About 3 months ago I said I felt sorry for the playas and the staff.............it's still true. However, now I must add I feel sorry for all of us also.That crap's on the a.d.

From my ever increasingly less informed perspective............I just looked at that schedule again (closely and carefully) and it makes me want to puke. About 3 months ago I said I felt sorry for the playas and the staff.............it's still true. However, now I must add I feel sorry for all of us also.That crap's on the a.d.
That crap's on Rick Chryst. He has been plunging the MAC ever lower down the conference food chain ever since he arrived in Cleveland. He controls the conference schedules. If he doesn't want a team to win their division, he'll make up a ridiculous schedule that kills their chances. He actively encourages teams to play lots of money games because the MAC can't afford to help out it's schools athletic budjets at all, and those money games destroy teams chances at bowl eligibility. Bowl games are the only real way to get the conference any recognition. The more the merrier. The MAC consistantly has bowl-eligible teams that are left sitting at home, while no other conference has that happen to them because the fans of not only the school but the entire conference would be up in arms. We don't have that. And don't get me started on his taking focus off of basketball so that we can "improve" our football programs. What a joke.

That crap's on Rick Chryst. He has been plunging the MAC ever lower down the conference food chain ever since he arrived in Cleveland. He controls the conference schedules. If he doesn't want a team to win their division, he'll make up a ridiculous schedule that kills their chances. He actively encourages teams to play lots of money games because the MAC can't afford to help out it's schools athletic budjets at all, and those money games destroy teams chances at bowl eligibility. Bowl games are the only real way to get the conference any recognition. The more the merrier. The MAC consistantly has bowl-eligible teams that are left sitting at home, while no other conference has that happen to them because the fans of not only the school but the entire conference would be up in arms. We don't have that. And don't get me started on his taking focus off of basketball so that we can "improve" our football programs. What a joke.
Is it then Rick Chryst's fault that we only have 4 home games this year. And of those, only 2 Saturday games. Or does that fall on Mack? I want to know who to bitch to. I understand playing at least one "money" game, but 2 or 3 is ridiculous! I suppose one could excuse the UConn game because how many of us, along with the entire nation as a whole, thought UConn would be having as good a year as they are. I don't really have any figures on any of the other MAC schools, but I'm almost sure everyone has more home games than we do. I can't really count the Army game as a home game. This pattern seems to be our lot in life as ZIps fans.

Is it then Rick Chryst's fault that we only have 4 home games this year. And of those, only 2 Saturday games. Or does that fall on Mack? I want to know who to bitch to. I understand playing at least one "money" game, but 2 or 3 is ridiculous! I suppose one could excuse the UConn game because how many of us, along with the entire nation as a whole, thought UConn would be having as good a year as they are. I don't really have any figures on any of the other MAC schools, but I'm almost sure everyone has more home games than we do. I can't really count the Army game as a home game. This pattern seems to be our lot in life as ZIps fans.
It's a combination of both Chryst and Mack's doings.Chryst controlls the MAC portion of the scheduling, but he also somewhat controlls the non-conference scheduling by limiting the travel budgets that the MAC gives teams to play eachother. It's the reason te MAC plays so many Big 10 teams: we can't really afford to travel much farther. It's why we don't work towards home-and-homes with conferences like C-USA and the MWC more often, instead of getting pulverized for cash and no return trip like we do now. Chryst also controlls the media aspect of the MAC TV packages, so that is why we play so many weekday games: to get on TV, although it comes at the price of playing three games in just over two weeks, and no weekend games because it reduces our chance of getting on TV. But you have to ask: would you rather play off TV on a Saturday, or play on ESPN on a weekday in a game where if you lose, you can't just sweep it under the rug because the entire country including many recruits saw it, but if you win it's a huge boost to your program. It's too much of a gamble for my liking.Money games are essential unless we find a viable source of income from the luxury boxes at the new stadium which may make our football program self-supporting. That would eliminate our sure-loss-for-cash games and possible help us get bowl-eligible more often by scheduling more winnable games in their place, which is the real way to make money. Mack has to schedule these games because at this point we have no choice. He chose to play only one non-conference "home" game this year because they are strapped for cash within the athletic department budget. Also, many games were scheduled far before Mack ever arrived here. This awful scheduling is a remnant of a time long past when the philosophy was that we knew we couldn't win so we might as well make some money when we lose. It was not a philosophy that cared about the future, and now we pay the price.

B) where were you guys last year when some of us were complaining about all the 'sacrifice' games the ZIPS are playing every year? the players get beat up...they can't practice...it effects the MAC schedule and WE the FANS pay for it by having to watch losses...they want people to go to the games..get some home games early in the year against competetive teams at the same level..a few wins at the Bowl would have done wonders...