Alex Sullivan

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Alex Sullivan last night when Riverside played Chardon. He was clearly the best player and athlete on the court. He struggled some in the first half. It seemed like when he made a good move off the dribble he couldn't finish it off with the shot, and when he didn't have to dribble, he could make the shot. He also struggled from the line. He still managed 14 points. The second half was a different story. He came out more ready to play and made several excellent passes after some tough drives. He scored 20 in the second half to finsih with 34. Pretty impressive considering they were very focused on him. He was playing the 2 guard and it seemed like that was what fit him best--I don't know that you'd rely on him for the point--I wouldn't--but you'd be comfortable with him in a Cedrick-type role. I didn't see much defense out of him, but no-one really seemed to play defense yesterday. Didn't get many pictures, but here are a few...gallery_869_10_17667.jpggallery_869_10_15121.jpgThis was my first high school basketball game in years. Some random notes on that:Popcorn was 75 cents. Same size as $3.00 at the JAR.The fans were rabid, and every one was convinced that the refs were ripping off their team. It's kind of funny--every fan, at every level, is convinced there's a conspiracy against them.The students laid down a BULLSH*T chant near the end of the game. Nice and loud and in unison.The best part of the night--the warm up shirts for Riverside had "FEAR THE BEAVER" on the back. Classic!

Thanks for the update. He's gonna be another quick, athletic scorer added to our lineup next season. Knowing his size - 5-10 - I've heard he models his game on Allen Iverson. It's gonna be nice having 4 fast, quick, athletic guards (albeit undersized) on next years squad: Darryl Roberts, Ronnie Steward, Humpty Hitchens and Alex Sullivan. That'll have to be the most athletic back court in the MAC.

I played against Sullivan for 3 years in highschool and no matter how you play him, straight up or a box and one or playing to white him out, he's gonna find a way to score and open up things for his team mates. He is one of the quickest players we played against. And I'm sure this year he's gotten even quicker. Not only is he a great player he's very humble and his grand parents raised him right. He's gonna fit right into the get it and go offense of the Zips.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Sullivan demonstrates why he is a future Zips shooting star.The six-four senior shooting guard scores forty-three points including four threes in Riverside's victory Saturday night.Alex lead all scorers with fifteen buckets, nine free throws and pulled down nine rebounds.Small write up in Plain Dealer Boy's Round Up.

Alex Sullivan demonstrates why he is a future Zips shooting star.The six-four senior shooting guard scores forty-three points including four threes in Riverside's victory Saturday night.Alex lead all scorers with fifteen buckets, nine free throws and pulled down nine rebounds.Small write up in Plain Dealer Boy's Round Up.
His height being listed must be a typo, because Alex is only 5-10 -to- 5-11.But 43 points?! Dang.

Riverside is my HS Alma Mater...and HERE is a detailed write-up from the Painesville paper...the News Herald. It's gonna be nice to see a former Beaver playin for the Zips. Alex keeps getting better...

Riverside is my HS Alma Mater...and HERE is a detailed write-up from the Painesville paper...the News Herald. It's gonna be nice to see a former Beaver playin for the Zips. Alex keeps getting better...
And here is a writeup on that game from the Star Beacon HERE. I'm going to enjoy getting a chance to see him play next year at Akron! :)

I played against Alex in the District finals at Euclid Highschool last year. And he is truly a beast. He took the game over and I think went like 18-18 from the line. They won by like 4-5 but still with out him there is no way they could be as good as they are. Just his presence on the court alone makes anyone nervous up in Lake County.

Alex and his team continue to do well winning their last season game going 10-0 in their conference, 16-4 overall. I found it amusing what the opposing coach said about Alex:News-Herald articleThe other local paper had a little more info and also showed that there was definitely a bit of a rivalry on the floor:Star Beacon articleSounds like he leaves it all on the floor when he's done playing a game.

Its just a hunch mind you, but, I think Alex starts at the two guard as a freshman. Oh, he might not start the first game of the season, but by in conference play he will.Akron has a great stack of young guards. Contesting for the starting and prime time minutes is going to be fun for the fans and hell for the players.Alex is certainly going to be in the thick of it.

Its just a hunch mind you, but, I think Alex starts at the two guard as a freshman. Oh, he might not start the first game of the season, but by in conference play he will.Akron has a great stack of young guards. Contesting for the starting and prime time minutes is going to be fun for the fans and hell for the players.Alex is certainly going to be in the thick of it.
Next year will certainly be interesting. It's definitley going to be a new look Zips without Romeo, Dru, Wood, Dials, Cedrick or Quade. It will be interesting to see how things shake out and who steps up where. As far as I can see the roster looks like this next year.G: Steward, Roberts, McNees, Coblentz, Brooks, Sullivan, McClanahan, HitchensF: C.McKnight, B. McKnight, Linhart, Conyers, Caroll, Cvetinovic, ParrishC: Swiech, BardoI've got no idea how this whole thing will work out. About the only thing I can say for sure is that Nate will start at SF. Beyond that it's anyone's guess. Especially at those guard spots. McNees and Roberts would seem to have the edge up on everyone there, but you've got tons of talent in Steward, McClanahan, Hitchens, Sullivan, even Rydell Brooks could make some noise. The big thing I'm interested to see though is how the C spot works out. Can Bardo and Swiech combine to give us 40 minutes of beef in the center or are we going to continue to have to play small at times??? It's going to be interesting.

Next year will certainly be interesting. It's definitley going to be a new look Zips without Romeo, Dru, Wood, Dials, Cedrick or Quade. It will be interesting to see how things shake out and who steps up where. As far as I can see the roster looks like this next year.G: Steward, Roberts, McNees, Coblentz, Brooks, Sullivan, McClanahan, HitchensF: C.McKnight, B. McKnight, Linhart, Conyers, Caroll, Cvetinovic, ParrishC: Swiech, BardoI've got no idea how this whole thing will work out. About the only thing I can say for sure is that Nate will start at SF. Beyond that it's anyone's guess. Especially at those guard spots. McNees and Roberts would seem to have the edge up on everyone there, but you've got tons of talent in Steward, McClanahan, Hitchens, Sullivan, even Rydell Brooks could make some noise. The big thing I'm interested to see though is how the C spot works out. Can Bardo and Swiech combine to give us 40 minutes of beef in the center or are we going to continue to have to play small at times??? It's going to be interesting.
I see a lot of 3 guard sets for next season! It would be hard to keep 6 of those guards on the bench for any extended amount of time. Wow, this is a great problem to have!

Last night, I took in Riverside's pasting of Chardon @ Euclid in the D1 Sectionals.My first HS ball game in a few years. It was ugly .. kindof like a scrum. I guess I've been spoiled watching the talent at the JAR the past 3 or 4 seasons.Thoughts on Sullivan:- I think he had about 23 or 25. He got pulled w/ 5 minutes left in the game and Riverside up by 30. That's when we left.- I would guess that he hit maybe 2 shots outside of 10 feet. One was a three .. maybe there was another, but most of his points came inside 10 feet .. on drives into traffic, breakouts, open layups.- He let the game come to him. This was a blowout within the first 5 minutes, so it probably isn't the best game to judge him on, since there was little or no urgency / intensity needed. It turned into a scrimmage pretty quickly, and Sullivan was content to play in the flow of a team game .. not really taking more shots than anyone else.- Riverside has a future NCAA DIII conference player of the year inside that just destroyed Chardon. I don't know what he ended up with, but the guy had something like 15 at the half I think. Nice gutty player .. really tough & good around the glass. But 6-4 with not much vertical. A pleasure to watch.- I think Sullivan may have had about 5 or 6 steals in the game. At least 3 times, he just sagged off his guy, and then stepped in front of a swing pass and off to the races. A couple more, he got his hand in on the dribbler and knocked it loose to a teammate.- He did show defensive tenacity and a willingness to get after it on the floor. I'd say at least tonight he was the best on the ball defender out there. Which we have to hope since we signed him.- He also really seemed to like taking the ball to the rack, and did so usually with ease. Chardon tried a lot of 2-3 and sagging zone to clog the middle, but it didn't help.From what I saw tonight .. this guy is a point guard, not a 2. But he didn't take enough jumpers to really heat up .. at least against Chardon tonight .. he was aggressive in attacking the basket first, and looking to shoot from outside second. I liked his defensive anticipation and intensity .. that will fit nicely. Did a little bit of cherry picking when the game was out of reach, but one or 2 of those in practice will put an end to it quickly.I don't want to say my expectations weren't met tonight .. but he wasn't exactly dominant. He didn't need to be ... Riverside crushed Chardon. Having said that, it was sloppy play .. and the ref's let both teams play .. many of the steals / turnovers forced by Riverside won't happen if they play a slightly better team.On the flip side, the only really dominant HS ball players I've ever seen were LBJ and Barbara Tuner (the MOST impressive HS ball player I've ever seen by a pretty good margin). And LBJ was the #1 pick in the draft .. and Turner had a nice career, starting 2 or 3 seasons at UConn. Those two were among the best in the country coming out of HS.Sullivan is solid, clearly athletic and intense. There are stories told of McNees having to be broken of bad habits learned while being the best player around in a suburban league .. I suspect AS may have a similar lesson coming. I like that we've gotten him, and look forward to have him help extend our perimeter defense, and perhaps bring another penetrator to the team.I think they play Madison on Friday .. they're in the same league and Riverside beat them 2 times already this season (just like Chardon). Assuming no let down Friday, they'll have up to 2 more games at Euclid next week against some Cuyahoga County opponents who will be less familiar. Should they get to the CSU Regional at the Wolstein .. I'll probably check him out again. I'd like to see him in a game where there's some pressure. There was none tonight.

I like hearing that Sullivan is a guy who looks to take it to the rack. We've got plenty of guards who can shoot the 3 ball on this team. What we lack in our guards is a slasher who can get to the hoop and finish. Cedrick has been that guy at times over the past few years, but with his injuries he hasn't been nearly as effective in that role this year and, well, next year he'll be gone so...Man are we going to be deep at guard.

Man are we going to be deep at guard.
Numerically we are. And on-paper we are. But it is concerning how sporadic our guard play has been when Dials and Ced aren't playing major minutes. Roberts has been steady...McNees has shown f.lashes...but overall our guard play has been shaky without the seniors.Next year Roberts and McNees will likely improve...but then again, who knows. And it is rare that sub 6-foot Fr's, like the group we have coming in next season, contribute immediately.We may end up fine...but I expect a continuing learning curve, with some rough performances up-front.Nice post, BTW - ZW. I enjoyed reading that.

I think they play Madison on Friday .. they're in the same league and Riverside beat them 2 times already this season (just like Chardon). Assuming no let down Friday, they'll have up to 2 more games at Euclid next week against some Cuyahoga County opponents who will be less familiar. Should they get to the CSU Regional at the Wolstein .. I'll probably check him out again. I'd like to see him in a game where there's some pressure. There was none tonight.
Madison being my alma mater I want to see them bring back another sectional banner but I'm sure Riverside and Sullivan have something to say about this. This was the match up last year that knocked us out. Madison has quite a few big guys (Heidenreich, Dilillo, Monty, Cramb, Janz) so it would be interesting to see how well he takes it in there with some 6'7 and 6'5's in there. But watching Alex play for the past 3 years he'll just do what he has to do to keep his team in the game and get his team mates involved. And knowing Coach Moran and Staley they'll make sure that Sullivan gets contested on every shot and that Krotz or some one else is banging him around. But it should be a good game

I think they play Madison on Friday .. they're in the same league and Riverside beat them 2 times already this season (just like Chardon). Assuming no let down Friday, they'll have up to 2 more games at Euclid next week against some Cuyahoga County opponents who will be less familiar. Should they get to the CSU Regional at the Wolstein .. I'll probably check him out again. I'd like to see him in a game where there's some pressure. There was none tonight.
Madison being my alma mater I want to see them bring back another sectional banner but I'm sure Riverside and Sullivan have something to say about this. This was the match up last year that knocked us out. Madison has quite a few big guys (Heidenreich, Dilillo, Monty, Cramb, Janz) so it would be interesting to see how well he takes it in there with some 6'7 and 6'5's in there. But watching Alex play for the past 3 years he'll just do what he has to do to keep his team in the game and get his team mates involved. And knowing Coach Moran and Staley they'll make sure that Sullivan gets contested on every shot and that Krotz or some one else is banging him around. But it should be a good game
GO BEAVERS! ;)