2008 Bracket Buster

GoZips

Good thing our RPI will rise and CMU's will fall before then. Playing a team with a 100+ RPI will do us about as much good as Austin Peay did last year. When we're the HOME team, we should get a tougher RPI opponent, not a weaker one.From this list (which is very good for figuring out the home/away teams), Wright State, Creighton, or Niagara is who I expect to be playing.

All I can say at this point is, Lord help us if pairings are made on the basis of the lame RPI.Projected Pairings
His post says glance up or down 5 of the team across from you. That puts us against either VCU, Marist, Georgia Southern, Indiana State, UC Santa Barbara, Siena, Davidson, Wiconsin-Milwaukee, or Wichita State. It wouldn't be CMU or Ill-Chi for obvious reasons. I'd be for UC-Santa Barbara, mostly for the return trip next year. Can you say AK-Roadie Trip to Cali?

Of all the potential opponents only the following few interest me.DRAKE ... MVC, they are having an outstanding year. We are NOT likely to get them.NIAGARA ... MAAC, another team having a banner year. Not likely to be our opponent. Zips recently destroyed the Purple Eagles in a B/B game.GEORGE MASON ... CAA, living off the fantastic final Four year, smashed on the road by Cant State earlier this seasonWRIGHT STATE ... Horizon League, a real possible opponent, excepting that they wont schedule the Zips normallyVIRGINIA COMMONWEATLH ... CAA, preseason league favorite. A team I would love to play in the B/BINDIANA STATE ... MVC, other than being a Missouri Valley squad, not much to offerSIENA ... MAAC, another pre-season league favorite that is starting to play up to potential. Would be a worthy opponent.WICHITA STATE ... MVC, an Missouri Valley team having a bust down year. Not a dangerous opponent excepting we need MVC games.In my mind's eye none of the other visiting teams offer the Zips either a challenge or the potential of scoring a meaningful win to say nothing of havingto go to their place next year. This would have been a good year for the Zips to be a traveling B/B team.

I'm not sure why everyone is talking about getting the Vikings in the BB game. Per This official ESPN page .. Cleveland State is a home team.Seems like VCU would be a decent opponent. It would be good to get Drake back in here .. but I think they don't typically give teams the same game as a past matchup (hence, I'd be surprised to see Drake, Niagra or Nevada).

Hey, hey ... all they are doing is matching home teams to away teams by the current RPI. If you read the text they acknowledge that in-conference and teams youhave already played this year will not be candidates.Home teams will not match up with other home teams. Like Akron, Cleveland State has a home B/B game this year.What to look for are away teams close around the Zips position. Such as VCU or Nevada as potential match ups.It looks now like the Zips are likely going to get a good TV game out of this. Selection day is February third. The Zips have four games to play before that date.There is a high liklihood that the Zips will win at least three of these games. That gives them a probable 17-4 record going into the Bracket Buster. Numbers likethat command attention. Plus, ESPN loves Akron games as their ratings soar.

NAV ... great job.... looks good ... hope we do have an RPI of 58 ... that would help a lotZippy5 ... ESPN is planning to televise fourteen games Bracket Buster weekend. If NAV's match ups hold the Zips would be in line for a game on ESPN or ESPN2.I like a match up with VCU. They are having an excellent season. Like Akron, they are also under rated. We will not get a match up with Creighton for reasons I will not discuss. I would also like to get Nevada, George Mason or Siena, in that order.

Our friends over in the Colonial Athletic Conference (CAA) continue to update and monitor the possible Bracket Buster pairings.Bracket Buster Pairing 1/20/08By analysis I have found that Ken Pomeroy's RPI projections are fairly accurate compared to NCAA's official RPI ranking. It is closeenough to use for evaluating and updated daily verses once a week .Ken Pomeroy RPI & His Ranking System

Zips position in the Bracket Buster pool not likely to change.Selection day is February third. Currently the Zips are approximately eighth among the teams with home games.As of this morning using the Ken Pomeroy RPI calculator (very, very close to the NCAA version, but updated daily as opposed to weekly) the Zips are at rpi #71.Schools near the Zips in RPI include Oral Roberts (rpi #56); Valparaiso (rpi #60); Cleveland State (rpi #61); Southern Illinois (rpi #72).Of these schools Cleveland State is the most likely to fall behind the Zips. CSU has three road games before the Feb third date. CSU already lost on the road theother night to then rpi #123 Wisconsin-Green Bay. One more road loss and CSU likely slides behind the Zips. Valparaiso only faces a weak Loyola, Ill at home.Thus Valpo is not likely to drop. Oral Roberts faces two weak conference opponents. Southern Illinois which ranks at #72 faces Creighton, Evansville and on the road at Northern Iowa. SIU is not likely to gain ground on the Zips.The potential opponent currently points to Wright State. That match up is unlikely. WSU assistant coach is Brian Donoher. He coached here. He knows cominghere has a high potential for a loss. Plus, it is unlikely that KD wants to travel to Wright State in an empty return game. Just above WSU is Nevada. That gamewould surely interest Zips fans. Two other possibilities are Marist and Davidson.Three straight wins against west division MAC schools will probably erode the Zips rpi slightly.At this point we can pretty much expect a TV game on ESPN-U.

Here are the Sagarin match ups:TEAM (SAGARIN RANK)HOME TEAM LISTED SECOND1. Drake (13) vs. Saint Mary's-Cal. (19)Other games may not be played if the teams already scheduled a game against one another.
That will be the case with Drake and St. Mary's, who played at the beginning of the season. As a result, Creighton might end up playing the Gaels with Drake going to Butler if those teams hold serve, so to speak.