2008 Schedule

xu9697

2008 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DATE OPPONENT 8-30-08 at Wisconsin 9-6-08 at Syracuse 9-13-08 at Kentucky 9-20-08 ARMY 9-27-08 CINCINNATI TBA MAC Opponents 5 out of conference games? I never understood how Miami only played 7 conference games, and now Akron looks to be doing the same thing. Anyone have additional information. All in all, this is a decent non-conference schedule. Cincinnati is SOMEWHAT of a marquee home game, Army is better than bringing in a I-AA program (or whatever it is called) and Syracuse is very beatable while we can give UK a game.

If I had more confidence in where this program is going I would say we could easily go 3-2 out of conference with that schedule.Wisconsin is a good team year in and year out, and I don't expect to be able to beat them on the road in the opener, likely with a new QB.Syracuse is abysmal of late. They are a team that should be ripe for the pickings.Kentucky had a very nice year this year but they are going to lose their star QB as well as their top 2 WR's to the draft this year. I expect them to be back to the same old beatable Kentucky next year.Army, well, I think we all know enough about Army by now to know that we should be able to win that one.Cincinnati is probably another loss. Brian Kelly has that team playing at a very high level right now. Only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is that they will be changing QB's this offseason and it doesn't really look like Kelly has anyone on that roster he is comfortable with. Still, they are a much more talented team and even at home I don't see us winning that one.Realistically though, I could see us going 1-4 or 2-3 with wins over Army and MAYBE Syracuse.

No disrespect to you Bleecher Bum, as I remember you at the Can't away game two years ago as the last man standing with our flag in the Endzone, but I went to the Army game this Summer and had a great time. The Cleveland air show was fantastic and there was beer/brats on mall 'C'. I'd like to play a Service Academy every year (too bad the Patriot game idea was cancelled). They are very competitive with the MAC (Army kicked has us around a couple a times in recent memory) and it wasn't too long ago that a game with a Service Academy was impossible. I love the tradition and prestige that Army has, and I like the tough young men that they put on the field. To me, a win over Army means something despite their rank in Saragrin.Now I have more of problem scheduling Wisconsin. Does anybody remember how they stole a win from us up at Camp Rippoff a few years ago? Hendry was in for the go ahead fourth and inches score late in the fourth quarter and they didn't give it to us. Screw Wisconsin. I would put them last on my scheduling targets, but this new AD probably does not even bother to research the history of the outcomes of our previous games. Why not schedule UTEP? Did our AD burn bridges with his old employer or what? The rest of the schedule (excluding Wisconsin) looks very interesting, but difficult due to the road venues.

2008 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DATE OPPONENT 8-30-08 at Wisconsin 9-6-08 at Syracuse 9-13-08 at Kentucky 9-20-08 ARMY 9-27-08 CINCINNATI TBA MAC Opponents 5 out of conference games? I never understood how Miami only played 7 conference games, and now Akron looks to be doing the same thing. Anyone have additional information. All in all, this is a decent non-conference schedule. Cincinnati is SOMEWHAT of a marquee home game, Army is better than bringing in a I-AA program (or whatever it is called) and Syracuse is very beatable while we can give UK a game.
This is all a real interesting discussion based on a bad initial post. The Game with Wisconsin was cancelled years ago.

To get UTEP here at home this year we could have allowed their coach (Mike Price?) to take a pick axe to the Rubber Bowl's visitors lockeroom as long as we could stage Zippy beating up their mascot soon thereafter.For those of you that don't know, Price runs his team (the Miners) out on the field and then lays claim on the turf by sinking a pick axe in the field. Great way to fire up his team (and the opponents).

Cincy has us on their 2008 schedule at Akron.Kentucky has us on their 2008 schedule at Kentucky.Syracuse has us on their 2008 schedule at Syracuse.Army does not have any schedule info I could find for 2008 or beyond.I like next year's schedule. Kentucky and Syracuse are fair games and I like the games at home against Cincy and Army. Wisconsin is a tough open but helps minimize the football budget red ink.

No disrespect to you Bleecher Bum, as I remember you at the Can't away game two years ago as the last man standing with our flag in the Endzone, but I went to the Army game this Summer and had a great time. The Cleveland air show was fantastic and there was beer/brats on mall 'C'. I'd like to play a Service Academy every year (too bad the Patriot game idea was cancelled). They are very competitive with the MAC (Army kicked has us around a couple a times in recent memory) and it wasn't too long ago that a game with a Service Academy was impossible. I love the tradition and prestige that Army has, and I like the tough young men that they put on the field. To me, a win over Army means something despite their rank in Saragrin.
I have nothing against Army. The Patriot Bowl was a blast tailgating with the air show going on while we pumped the Top Gun soundtrack, but this is now the 3rd year in a row we've played them. Trust me, I remember them shutting us out at the Bowl and ending our MAC Championship hopes at the time and I remember us taking them down at Cleveland Browns Stadium. I'm just sick of seeing them. I'd rather take on a team I've never seen before.

I understand. It would be interesting to get Air Force on the schedule or another game with Navy (although Navy may not want to play us as we came back to beat them with Brandon Payne and that loss seemed to shoot down their program that year - ala our North Carolina State win).Just for the record, Army beat us under Faust 20-0 in the fastest game I have ever watched - @1 Hour and fifteen minutes. They ran a wishbone and we could not get the ball back. The clock just ticked without end as they methodically ran at us for first downs. We stopped the big run, but they threw two touchdown passes over our defense as we brought almost everyone up (Junko was the Defensive Coordinator). Prior to that game they had thrown @2 passes all year.

I understand. It would be interesting to get Air Force on the schedule or another game with Navy (although Navy may not want to play us as we came back to beat them with Brandon Payne and that loss seemed to shoot down their program that year - ala our North Carolina State win).
Navy would be sweet, but I don't think we would stand a chance against them.

I understand. It would be interesting to get Air Force on the schedule or another game with Navy (although Navy may not want to play us as we came back to beat them with Brandon Payne and that loss seemed to shoot down their program that year - ala our North Carolina State win).
Navy would be sweet, but I don't think we would stand a chance against them.
Who knows now that their coach moved on to greener pastures (Georgia Tech).

This is all a real interesting discussion based on a bad initial post. The Game with Wisconsin was cancelled years ago.
Then someone should tell The University of Wisconsin, because their site shows us playing the Badgers in 7 months.
It was obvious to me a couple years ago that Akron had scheduled 13 games for 2008 and one of them wasn't Hawaii. If you check old threads on this site you will see that I pointed this out, and asked if anyone knew what was going on. Got no satisfactory answer from you guys so I went to a very high AU authority who told me the MAC office was going to line up a replacement for us on the UW schedule. Do you see UW on our schedule?

Then someone should tell The University of Wisconsin, because their site shows us playing the Badgers in 7 months.
It was obvious to me a couple years ago that Akron had scheduled 13 games for 2008 and one of them wasn't Hawaii. If you check old threads on this site you will see that I pointed this out, and asked if anyone knew what was going on. Got no satisfactory answer from you guys so I went to a very high AU authority who told me the MAC office was going to line up a replacement for us on the UW schedule. Do you see UW on our schedule?
I don't. And you cerainly may be correct. But you can't blame anyone here for thinking it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Wisconsin might have their web page more updated than UA's?

Decent enough OOC schedule. Based upon the performance of the MAC in OOC and bowl games last season, we should start off the season a solid 1-4. The only way we go 2-3 is if Cincinnati is really the fraud I think they were. Mauk was one and done at that school. Now that Mauk is gone, Cincinnai may just be just plain done.I'm much more interested in the MAC West teams we have to play. We seem to get the short end of the stick in that part of the schedule. How about a break with EMU for a change?

So, in the end, no one knows why Miami had only 7 conference games last year, and now we look to be in the same situation. Even if it is not Wisconsin (which, since the official Akron site showing upcoming seasons and games might be the worst in the nation, I will believe their site and this site which is updated DAILY= http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college...ules/index.htm) it does seem odd that we would not play a game on 8/28 or 8/30 as just about every other team is playing that weekend.