The game.

The game tonight was a no doubter from half time. I turned it off with 5 minutes left. Couldn't take anymore of those ill-advised shots, missed free throws, and the travels and push offs Cant was getting away with. The next step is practice more free throws, if that's not an option, practice more free throws. If we miss more free throws that Cant made, there is a problem. Why can't J Wood pause for a moment when he shoots free throws or why can't he learn from Nick Dials? 15 missed foul shots is unacceptable. People keep overlooking that. If I was a coach, I would do like Hawkins does in Western Michigan at the end of every practice, have each player shoot 20 free throws. Cant wins because of execution under pressure and because they have talent. Having talent solves everything, to win 3 games in 3 days or 4 games in 4 days, you need talent. Dambrot better stop recruiting all these random average players, otherwise fans will start picking up on this and he will turn into a Bruce Weber of Illinois and the fans will hit the exits early. You can criticize me all you want for this post and I know it sounds negative, but I just wanted to give my 2 cents and not avoid the truth.

The game tonight was a no doubter from half time. I turned it off with 5 minutes left. Couldn't take anymore of those ill-advised shots, missed free throws, and the travels and push offs Cant was getting away with. The next step is practice more free throws, if that's not an option, practice more free throws. If we miss more free throws that Cant made, there is a problem. Why can't J Wood pause for a moment when he shoots free throws or why can't he learn from Nick Dials? 15 missed foul shots is unacceptable. People keep overlooking that. If I was a coach, I would do like Hawkins does in Western Michigan at the end of every practice, have each player shoot 20 free throws. Cant wins because of execution under pressure and because they have talent. Having talent solves everything, to win 3 games in 3 days or 4 games in 4 days, you need talent. Dambrot better stop recruiting all these random average players, otherwise fans will start picking up on this and he will turn into a Bruce Weber of Illinois and the fans will hit the exits early. You can criticize me all you want for this post and I know it sounds negative, but I just wanted to give my 2 cents and not avoid the truth.
You said what I am thinking my friend. We did not and could not match Can't physically. That goes down to recruiting. They penetrated at will. We had nobody who could create their own shot. I knew they had the edge in athleticism, but how does a team we beat two times take this same team to the wire? I really thought we had a chance.I'm getting tired of this. I had to sit around a bunch of drunk Can't trash and hear it the entire game. Can't basically has ultimate bragging rights now. How is the average fan going to rally behind this progam? Spoiled? Far from itThis game had some serious potential. And what's up with 12k attendance......pathetic. What positives can a zip fan take away from this game?

such a disappointment. We put ourselves to shame out there. The game was over before halftime. Can't had a 15-1 run in the last 7 minutes because we couldn't make a basket inside the paint or out. I was surprised to see we actually shot 30.8% for the game. Felt like 3.8% to me.54.5%? 54.5%? 18 of 33 from the line. Are you kidding me? Our fan at half time shot better than that. College B-Ball is a game of momentum and it was back and forth for the first few minutes but once Can't got it they never gave it up. How is it humanly possible to miss so many layups? I can't believe how shitty we played tonight. This was the team we saw lose to at the time 0-10 Northern Illinois, not the team we saw playing the past two nights.I'm practically speechless because I've got so much running through my head.Oh, did anyone stick around long enough to hear the Can't fans boo us when being presented the second place trophy? And yet I had to hear Reghi talk about what a class program Christian runs. Yeah, letting an underage kid who blew over 6 times the legal limit play after missing only one game is the definition of class.And yet again we get no help from the officials on the defensive end. not like it would have mattered anyway but still calling Roberts for an intentional foul was downright absurd. Just the icing on the cake.

I'll assume you're speaking with too much emotion after a disappointing game. You're obviously a youngster because you don't seem to appreciate where this program was even just five years ago.There is nothing wrong with the guys KD recruits. They play hard, don't get into trouble, and graduate...and we've made it to the MACC two years in a row. Can't's team is based on winning now because they use JUCO's. With their coach leaving and a few players graduating (losing eligibility is more like it), Can't's program could be in the :john: in a year or two. Our program on the other hand has long-term stability with KD and will continue to grow. Also, take a look at some of the mid-major programs that actually win games in the NCAA tournament...they have a strong team concept and nucleus of upperclassman starters. That's what our program is being built for. I'd really be disappointed if KD utilized Can't's program structure and won the MACC every couple years just to get flamed out of the NCAA tournament in the first round everytime.Yes, I thought this could be the year, but I think the program will continue to improve. Our MACC's and NCAA tournament wins are in the cards, but not for this year.

I'll assume you're speaking with too much emotion after a disappointing game. You're obviously a youngster because you don't seem to appreciate where this program was even just five years ago.There is nothing wrong with the guys KD recruits. They play hard, don't get into trouble, and graduate...and we've made it to the MACC two years in a row. Can't's team is based on winning now because they use JUCO's. With their coach leaving and a few players graduating (losing eligibility is more like it), Can't's program could be in the john.gif in a year or two. Our program on the other hand has long-term stability with KD and will continue to grow. Also, take a look at some of the mid-major programs that actually win games in the NCAA tournament...they have a strong team concept and nucleus of upperclassman starters. That's what our program is being built for. I'd really be disappointed if KD utilized Can't's program structure and won the MACC every couple years just to get flamed out of the NCAA tournament in the first round everytime.Yes, I thought this could be the year, but I think the program will continue to improve. Our MACC's and NCAA tournament wins are in the cards, but not for this year.
I'm with him. Disappointing loss to be sure, but I refuse to criticize the program, the coach, or the players and still firmly believe that our basketball program is moving forward. This team will lose four quality athletes and individuals, and next year will be a rebuilding year, but I think the foundations are solid and I can't wait to see the fresh faces next year. Ced, Nick, Jeremiah, and Quade... you will be missed!!!

I'll assume you're speaking with too much emotion after a disappointing game. You're obviously a youngster because you don't seem to appreciate where this program was even just five years ago.There is nothing wrong with the guys KD recruits. They play hard, don't get into trouble, and graduate...and we've made it to the MACC two years in a row. Can't's team is based on winning now because they use JUCO's. With their coach leaving and a few players graduating (losing eligibility is more like it), Can't's program could be in the :john: in a year or two. Our program on the other hand has long-term stability with KD and will continue to grow. Also, take a look at some of the mid-major programs that actually win games in the NCAA tournament...they have a strong team concept and nucleus of upperclassman starters. That's what our program is being built for. I'd really be disappointed if KD utilized Can't's program structure and won the MACC every couple years just to get flamed out of the NCAA tournament in the first round everytime.Yes, I thought this could be the year, but I think the program will continue to improve. Our MACC's and NCAA tournament wins are in the cards, but not for this year.
I thought about starting a new thread thanking the seniors for being the foundation of a strong program, but let's not forget, our season is likely not over! We still have postseason play and that's something this program has only participated in a handful of times. We are moving in the right direction!

Trimmy c'mon man quit being an apologist for a program that continues to underperform. The Can't program made it to the elite 8, when Gary Waters moved on people said the program would go south, it didn't, they said the program would go south when Stan Heath left it didn't and it won't when Jim Christian leaves either. Give credit where it is due man.KD was out coached tonight -- he needed to find a different line-up tonight. I love J Wood, but if I was Can't I would have fouled him every time he touched the ball tonight. I will tell you what I do see -- an Akron program that is going to be decent next year, but more middle of the pack. I see a starting lineup of Stewart, Roberts, Linhart, and the McKnight brothers and I assume Linhart is the leader in that group. I'm not sure I see a return to the championship game -- Can't might just be there again.The referees weren't the reason we lost tonight, but when we got the diff to 10 Roberts was called for the intentional. Funny thing was when Wood was going to the hoop and a Can't player grabbed his jersey to stop him the same call wasn't made. The intentional on Roberts made it a 14 point game and the chance we had was over.

Trimmy c'mon man quit being an apologist for a program that continues to underperform.
This team did not underperform. They lost last year's MAC POY and just as importantly a longstanding point guard. They played an entire season battling injuries and without a true point guard and still managed to return to the MAC Finals.

Trimmy c'mon man quit being an apologist for a program that continues to underperform. The Can't program made it to the elite 8, when Gary Waters moved on people said the program would go south, it didn't, they said the program would go south when Stan Heath left it didn't and it won't when Jim Christian leaves either. Give credit where it is due man.KD was out coached tonight -- he needed to find a different line-up tonight. I love J Wood, but if I was Can't I would have fouled him every time he touched the ball tonight. I will tell you what I do see -- an Akron program that is going to be decent next year, but more middle of the pack. I see a starting lineup of Stewart, Roberts, Linhart, and the McKnight brothers and I assume Linhart is the leader in that group. I'm not sure I see a return to the championship game -- Can't might just be there again.The referees weren't the reason we lost tonight, but when we got the diff to 10 Roberts was called for the intentional. Funny thing was when Wood was going to the hoop and a Can't player grabbed his jersey to stop him the same call wasn't made. The intentional on Roberts made it a 14 point game and the chance we had was over.
The fact that you cite one specific play in the game is evidence that you don't see the entire picture. Can't simply has more talent than we do THIS YEAR, which is why we lost. True we didn't make our bunnies and FT's, but Can't beat us three times this year, which is enough proof for me.However, the program is in fine shape and is advancing. Can't will eventually experience a down turn due to instability. The law of averages guarantees that.

They should have won the MAC Tournament last year and didn't. This year they choked tonight with a combination of missed layups and horrid foul shooting that is called underperforming again and the definition of continues to underperform. They could have played a closer game that was solid and wouldn't have underperformed tonight, but they didn't. This followed an era of underperforming with Hipsher. I'm sick of losing when it counts -- if you're not that's your gig.

Also remember Can't got really lucky this year when they signed Al Fisher sight unseen and got the MAC player of the year. Want to use that as a recruting strategy every year? I'll bet even Can't doesn't want to rely on it. This was very disappointing tonight, but yet, making two straight MACC games is a heck of a lot better than back when we were a middle of the pack OVC school. Dambrot & co. have done an outstanding job. And we may very well pick up a NIT/CBI bid. What I wanted? Nope. Am I still happy the Zips had a good year? Yep.

I'll assume you're speaking with too much emotion after a disappointing game. You're obviously a youngster because you don't seem to appreciate where this program was even just five years ago.There is nothing wrong with the guys KD recruits. They play hard, don't get into trouble, and graduate...and we've made it to the MACC two years in a row. Can't's team is based on winning now because they use JUCO's. With their coach leaving and a few players graduating (losing eligibility is more like it), Can't's program could be in the john.gif in a year or two. Our program on the other hand has long-term stability with KD and will continue to grow. Also, take a look at some of the mid-major programs that actually win games in the NCAA tournament...they have a strong team concept and nucleus of upperclassman starters. That's what our program is being built for. I'd really be disappointed if KD utilized Can't's program structure and won the MACC every couple years just to get flamed out of the NCAA tournament in the first round everytime.Yes, I thought this could be the year, but I think the program will continue to improve. Our MACC's and NCAA tournament wins are in the cards, but not for this year.
I'm with him. Disappointing loss to be sure, but I refuse to criticize the program, the coach, or the players and still firmly believe that our basketball program is moving forward. This team will lose four quality athletes and individuals, and next year will be a rebuilding year, but I think the foundations are solid and I can't wait to see the fresh faces next year. Ced, Nick, Jeremiah, and Quade... you will be missed!!!
Completely disagree. The game can be summed up in three words. Our seniors sucked. Correction SUCKED.For once I cannot pin this on Dambrot. By my count we missed 9 point-blank one-footers, In addition Wood was awful from the line. Middleton and Dials missed countless WIDE-OPEN threes. Dials couldn't even in- bound the damn ball. We have another golden oppourtunity to go dancing and we lay an egg. It all started back in February of 1998 when Can't beat us at home in the JAR. Eleven seasons later we still cannot beat them when it counts.So when the JAR is empty come next November we can once again look back and see that when it really matters, we don't win....and our worthless alumni won't be back.Twenty-two seasons and counting for me. I won't be disappointed if the NIT doesn't come calling....

Fisher is back next year. Can't will probably be back in the championship next year. Akron, Ohio, and Miami lose a lot.
Can't will need to find a low post presence next year, but if they do, they'll be solid. Buffalo and BGSU return literally everyone on their rosters. Tim Pollitz is Miami's only loss. In my opinion though, next year's team to beat will be Toledo... Jerrah Young is their only grad, and if Kashif Payne returns healthy, I could see them winning the MAC.

I'll assume you're speaking with too much emotion after a disappointing game. You're obviously a youngster because you don't seem to appreciate where this program was even just five years ago.I swear i will puke if i read this argument one more time. Why do people around here feel that Hipsher was the norm and that we should be happy with anything better than hipsher? it seems like some of the people around this program are so used to supporting mediocre teams that they don't expect anything good at all. In the last 4 years, Can't won 2 championships, miami won one, ohio won one, Toledo won regular season championship and we've been watching and biting our nails every year. But you expect me to be happy because we're not as crappy as the Hipsher's days!!!!!!!! There is nothing wrong with the guys KD recruits.Yes there is. They can't shoot free throws. They can't win championships. Some of them can't even contribute anything. See Milum, Conyers, and Bardo.They play hard, don't get into trouble, and graduateNewsflush! fans don't give a damn about who graduates and who doesn't and who gets in troouble or not. People pay money and go to games to see their teams winning.and we've made it to the MACC two years in a row.wooppy doo... they won 2 championships in the last 3 years. We won nothing and you're petting yourself on the shoulder. Can't's team is based on winning now because they use JUCO's. With their coach leaving and a few players graduating (losing eligibility is more like it), Can't's program could be in the :john: in a year or two.back to the old non-sense. again, i don't care if they're juco or freshmen. i don't care about their discipline, their majors, where they're from, their shoe size, and the colors of their cars. They have a team that "within the NCAA rules and regulations" wins year in year out. They've had coaching changes, players graduating and they still win. And i should be happy because we're not as bad as we were 5 years ago? I'd really be disappointed if KD utilized Can't's program structure and won the MACC every couple years just to get flamed out of the NCAA tournament in the first round everytime.Yeah that would be reaaaallllyyy disappointing. Making the Mac champioship and loosing it by 17 points is much more fulfilling.Yes, I thought this could be the year, but I think the program will continue to improve. Our MACC's and NCAA tournament wins are in the cards, but not for this year.I agree with you on this one. Hope is a good thing. Let's lick our wounds, sleep on this ugly night. Tomorrow is a new day. Go Zips!

finally some decent post after a few zip fans whine because we did not go win the ncaa tourney.we lose in the championship game two years on a row.all of sudden we have no talent,and kd cant coach.?there are ten other programs in the mac that would like to be akron right now.three 20 + plus win seasons,and most likely a two post season tourneys.like i said the b-ball team,and the football team is judges toally different.jd can have losing seasons year after year,and no one says a word.the Can't thread is wrong.what did Can't do last year.nothing.akron beat them three times in a row last year.i wish people would stop complaining when we lose one game,and act like the zips team is one of the worst in the mac.we have enough coming back next year to have a good team,but according to some fans we will be lucky to win one game next year.no one makes anyone body go to the games.if people dont like the b-ball team dont go to the games.if a product is bad dont buy it.it's that simple.everyone is entitled to post on the board but if the b-ball team bothers some people so much dont go to the games.

I think the fans are just getting tired of not winning it all and get frustrated with the program. Who knew that when I was a freshman we would be in the NCAA tournament and 22 years later and counting we still haven't made it back! At that time Akron was the up and coming program and Can't was nothing. Now we have to hear about Can't winning it all and winning 20+ games 10 years in a row. It makes me :puke: Still I'm not giving up on KD just yet. Next year will be a bit of a rebuilding year, but the future is still bright.And even though they beat us 3 times I still think :screwks: Being a Zips fan is like being a Cleveland sports fan - maybe next year will be our year (same rant every year).

And what's up with 12k attendance......pathetic. What positives can a zip fan take away from this game?
out of the 12k it seemed like 11k were Can't fans. It was pretty much a Can't home game
I beg to differ, I would say it was 60-40 akron fans...their fans were just noticeably louder because their fans cheer, not just the student section. plus the akron fans all left towards the end, but when everyone was there it was at least 55-45 akron, maybe more, imo.

I dont know i was down behind the hoop with Miami fans tonight and looking around it just looked and sounded like Can't fans where everywhere...we filled up our two sections and had fans scattered all around but the majority were Can't fans. Just a sea of piss out there

Having talent solves everything
Tim O'Shea would like a word with you.
Good point. You guys had more talent than anyone in the league.As far as Can't fans outnumbering Akron fans at the game, well, I was only watching on t.v., but it may have only seemed that way because Akron fans didn't have hardly anything to cheer about after about 10 minutes into the game; whereas, as much as I hate to say it, Can't's fans were probably letting it be well known that they were loving every minute of it.