ITZ's Choice for Head Coach

InTheZone

Bowden  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Regarding the making of programmatic choices, the university has already made the decision that it can walk and chew gum at the same time. The Info was built and needs rear ends in the seats. There has already been substantial discussion of a new UA/City of Akron stadium for the basketball team, has there not? Also, isn't a new soccer stadium already planned and budgeted for? The current step in the growth of the athletic department is the hiring of a new head football coach and I hope that UA plans to go the way of Temple and pays a coach and staff salaries that will lead to better times PLUS some stability. There is no reason that UA should spend so much on such a beautiful stadium and subject itself to the coaching carousel garbage that MAC teams deal with year in and year out. Pay a head coach at least 550-600K. I'd actually love to see the top three or four MAC teams (assuming Akron can ascend from the crapper and be one of those top teams) paying in the 700-900K range, which is where the bottom Big Ten programs and the MWC seem to be. You want quality football, and most importantly FANS who will pay to watch your product? You have to spend money to make money. Those top three MAC programs will then be positioning themselves for something better down the road, whether that be a shot at a better conference so just ongoing dominance of the MAC and meaningful rivalries amongst themselves. Locals have known for decades that Akron football was small time and moribund. Now is the time to change that by showing a commitment to the program, and in the real world commitment comes down to cold, hard cash.
+1 :wave:

Football is the biggest sport, like it or not. It is the only sport we have that can draw over 5,000 fans to an event, period. It is the engine that drives the athletic department. If this hire comes at a slight cost to other sports, it will have to happen. If football is successful it will more than pay back anything that might have been skimmed off the top of another sport's budget.
Been there, done that. It sucks and men's basketball sucked for 14 years all the while football did nothing. Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.Getting a good football HC, does not have to be done at the expense of basketball and soccer (meaning the football HC's salary cannot be double that, or more, of the basketball HC). You just don't treat the folks who are doing well for you that way.

Football is the biggest sport, like it or not. It is the only sport we have that can draw over 5,000 fans to an event, period. It is the engine that drives the athletic department. If this hire comes at a slight cost to other sports, it will have to happen. If football is successful it will more than pay back anything that might have been skimmed off the top of another sport's budget.
Been there, done that. It sucks and men's basketball sucked for 14 years all the while football did nothing. Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.Getting a good football HC, does not have to be done at the expense of basketball and soccer (meaning the football HC's salary cannot be double that, or more, of the basketball HC). You just don't treat the folks who are doing well for you that way.
Sorry, but the math is simple. UA will need to pay a 550-800K head football coach salary, which will be commensurate with where the program needs to get, and if that is double what KD and/or Caleb earn, then so be it. Would you rather have blown the money already spent on new facilities for the football program? If KD continues to grow the BB program he will get his, in the form of a new stadium and higher salary. Caleb already has a commitment from UA for a new stadium, and I doubt that NCAA soccer coaches will ever make anywhere near as much as 'merican football coaches. If I wanted to earn as much as an attorney, I would become an attorney.

I voted "maybe" and am leaning hard to hell yes. ITZ is right, quick turn around is the key. The guy took an Auburn team on probation and went undefeated with them.I could care less of the guy was banging his administrative assistant.....I want a guy to win some games next year.

I voted "maybe" and am leaning hard to hell yes. ITZ is right, quick turn around is the key. The guy took an Auburn team on probation and went undefeated with them.I could care less of the guy was banging his administrative assistant.....I want a guy to win some games next year.
I don't think we could lure Frank Solich away from Ohio. :rolltide:

Sorry, but the math is simple. UA will need to pay a 550-800K head football coach salary, which will be commensurate with where the program needs to get, and if that is double what KD and/or Caleb earn, then so be it. Would you rather have blown the money already spent on new facilities for the football program? If KD continues to grow the BB program he will get his, in the form of a new stadium and higher salary. Caleb already has a commitment from UA for a new stadium, and I doubt that NCAA soccer coaches will ever make anywhere near as much as 'merican football coaches. If I wanted to earn as much as an attorney, I would become an attorney.
Yes I would rather blow the money already spent on new facilities for the football program than drive away 2 successful coaches for a mere POSSIBILITY of a good head football coach. Also, I never said pay the soccer coach the same as the head football coach. If UA is going to spend lots of money on sports, then we need to appropriately compensate those already proven successful (in addition to upping the Football HC's salary). Also, instead of simply increasing base salary, how about a reasonable base salary with performance incentives, such as: $'s for winning the MAC East, $'s for getting to a bowl, $'s for winning the MAC?

With Bobby Bowden expected to announce his retirement today, you'd think Terry would be a leading candidate to follow his dad at FSU -- that is, if he's really as talented as advertised.
I think this guy might have something to say about that.Jimbo Fisher
Right. So FSU passed on Terry Bowden when they likely could have had him lined up to replace his dad instead of Fisher. That 11-0 season at Auburn doesn't seem to carry much weight with any of the bigger football powers.

With Bobby Bowden expected to announce his retirement today, you'd think Terry would be a leading candidate to follow his dad at FSU -- that is, if he's really as talented as advertised.
Right. So FSU passed on Terry Bowden when they likely could have had him lined up to replace his dad instead of Fisher. That 11-0 season at Auburn doesn't seem to carry much weight with any of the bigger football powers.
Jimbo Fisher has been the head coach in waiting at FSU for a while. Terry Bowden has never had anything to do with FSU. Your point carries no weight. If UA could get Terry Bowden, it would be the biggest hire in school history. That's a big IF though, and it's not IF he'd be a good candidate to coach here, because he'd obviously be a great candidate, but it's IF we could get him to come here.

Jimbo Fisher has been the head coach in waiting at FSU for a while. Terry Bowden has never had anything to do with FSU. Your point carries no weight. If UA could get Terry Bowden, it would be the biggest hire in school history. That's a big IF though, and it's not IF he'd be a good candidate to coach here, because he'd obviously be a great candidate, but it's IF we could get him to come here.
The weight of my point is not dependent on whether or not someone elects to acknowledge it. Fisher has only been at FSU for 2 years, so as little as 2 years ago they could have opted to bring in Terry Bowden as head coach in waiting for Bobby Bowden to retire. FSU is one of a few schools near the top of the college football food chain. If they wanted Terry Bowden they could probably have had him. They, along with other schools near the top of the college football food chain, appear not to be chasing after Terry Bowden.I am not saying that Terry Bowden is the worst option in the world for UA. But there does appear to be a major disconnect between his coaching resume and his ability to land a job today at the level of school that would typically be looking for a coach with that type of resume. I see that as a big caution flag, and I hope UA does, too. If a careful study should prove that the risk is not as great as it seems, that would be great. But it's always smart to avoid speeding into a situation when the caution flag is out.