Iowa State vs. UNC

Valpo Zip

In the game between UNC and Iowa State, a clock mis-operation resulted in the clock showing that some time is left for the UNC players to call for a timeout.

However, the refs reviewed it and ruled that, regardless of what the clock was showing, the time should have actually expired. (Sounds familiar?)

The game was called over with an Iowa State win.

The TV guys and a representative of the officiating committee all said that this was the right call. So, my question is: when are Romeo Travis, Dru Joyce, Middleton, Dials etc... getting their stolen MAC 2007 championship rings?

There was no official review rule set in 2007.

While unofficially the restart could have been reviewed (it actually was).

The end result was to leave it as it played out. Miami won. Rule that Akron, like Miami, had an opportunity to react to the

missed free throw.That they did not was Akron's down fall. I was there. The Zips were transfixed and did not react quickly.

The two circumstances, while similar, were not the same. Iowa State, an Zips opponent, gets the benifit. Say la vie. (spelling).

Start a conspiracy that it was the same officaiting crew both times.

That was an odd ending. While I understand the argument that the clock didn't start for a second to second and a half and since he called timeout with 0.4 seconds left on the clock there should be no time left, my problem is that the player had no way of knowing this. He has no choice but to go by the clock he can see on the court. UNC never got to attempt an improbable last second miracle shot because they weren't aware that they were already out of time due to clock error. I understand why the officials ruled the way they did based on the rules but I didn't think it was fair for the game to just be ended like that beacuse it wasn't UNC's fault the clock didn't start. I was pulling for ISU so i was happy with the result but still didn't like that ending.

Post game interview with Roy Williams

“Let's not anybody lay it on the officials or anything like that. We didn't call the timeout with 1.6 seconds to play. The referee said that the clock operator started the clock late and they didn't recognize my calling the timeout, and then when they did recognize calling the timeout and went to the monitor, they realize the clock operator had started the clock late so there should not have been any time left when they did make the observation that we were calling timeout. So let's not lay this on the officials, and that's what my kids are saying. It's very difficult, but nobody's blaming the officials.”

1286082.jpg

Post game interview with Roy Williams

“Let's not anybody lay it on the on court officials or anything like that. We didn't call the timeout with 1.6 seconds to play. The referee said that the idiot clock operator started the clock late and they didn't recognize my calling the timeout, and then when they did recognize calling the timeout and went to the monitor, they realize the moron clock operator had started the clock late so there should not have been any time left when they did make the observation that we were calling timeout. So let's not lay this on the on court officials, and that's what my kids are saying. It's very difficult to believe they let that imbecile clock operator out of the rest home, but nobody's blaming the on court officials.”

1286082.jpg

With deleted words reinserted.

I understand the officials did what the rules state they had to do. I just don't know how the kid running up the court with the ball is supposed to know he has less time than what the clock is reading. Had he known he would've either called the timeout sooner or taken a desperation shot from the backcourt. The odds would've been slim for UNC but they would've at least have had a shot.

I understand the officials did what the rules state they had to do. I just don't know how the kid running up the court with the ball is supposed to know he has less time than what the clock is reading. Had he known he would've either called the timeout sooner or taken a desperation shot from the backcourt. The odds would've been slim for UNC but they would've at least have had a shot.

I'm with you. He can certainly see the time on the backboard. How would he have known that it was wrong?

Akron's situation in the 2007 title game was that, for whatever reason, the officials were only permitted to review how much time was remaining after the shot had gone in. They couldn't change the play that just happened. If any of you still have a tape of the game, you can follow the sequence of events that you wouldn't have known if you were at the game at the time (if you can even watch it again without puking).

But to Ada Zip, who started this thread, I get where you are coming from. Somehow, it seems that 7 years later this type of situation is now handled differently.

What are the details of the rule? Do they check the tape after a last second shot that was made to determine if the clock was started too late? If so, do they wipe out the basket?

If a last second shot attempt goes in but was taken after the buzzer, do they check to see if the clock was started too early and, if so, call it good and award the win to the shooting team?

Unintended consequences...

What would have been interesting is if the kid from NC had not called timeout, and would have launched a half court shot before the buzzer, and it was good. Could they have looked at the time and said that more time SHOULD have run before the buzzer and disallow the basket? Even thought the shot was released before the actual final horn sounded on the floor?

That would have definitively shown whether this would have been ruled the same way in 2014 as it was in 2007.

From what I recall, they were not able to change what had already happened. They were only allowed to adjust the remaining time.

What would have been interesting is if the kid from NC had not called timeout, and would have launched a half court shot before the buzzer, and it was good. Could they have looked at the time and said that more time SHOULD have run before the buzzer and disallow the basket? Even thought the shot was released before the actual final horn sounded on the floor?

That would have definitively shown whether this would have been ruled the same way in 2014 as it was in 2007.

From what I recall, they were not able to change what had already happened. They were only allowed to adjust the remaining time.

Yes. That's what I was trying to convey with my earlier post. This rule has all kinds of potential craziness associated with it.

Makes me think also of the elbow rule where, even if unintentional, it's a flagrant. I think it was the Syracuse game (?) where a defender basically had his face 2 inches from the ball handler, but because the guy took the ball from his right side to his left side, he bumped the defender with his elbow. At some point there needs to be a sanity check.