pray tell...where is the bar set? a NCAA championship every year? a 25-0-0 regular season every year?

Not losing out on top local soccer talent to joke programs like BG would be a good start. Making a tournament run would be even better. I took a look back at the past 3 MAC preseason polls. Each year, the Zips continue to get less and less 1st place votes. Its clear the perception of the program is changing.

Will do. In the meantime you just keep being your cheery..optimistic self. Maybe we will lose the next game and then you can start sharpening your axe again.

At a-zip ... Do I already know you and not realize it? I was at the Georgetown game and had to leave right after congratulating the guys on their win to get across town to see USMNT beat Peru. I'd like to at least say "hi" at the Maryland match tomorrow night.

Friday in DC was awesome at Georgetown and RFK.

COIvS52WIAAnPmp.jpg

At a-zip ... Do I already know you and not realize it? I was at the Georgetown game and had to leave right after congratulating the guys on their win to get across town to see USMNT beat Peru. I'd like to at least say "hi" at the Maryland match tomorrow night.

Friday in DC was awesome at Georgetown and RFK.

COIvS52WIAAnPmp.jpg

I will have my Zips Soccer shirt on!!! We've had some great soccer in D.C this week that is for sure. Had dinner with a coach from Maryland last night, he said their UCLA game set records for attendance. I would imagine our game tomorrow will also be electric…….they know very well who we are and know it is going to be a battle.

... The bar is set high, and I expect it to be met. I pity those willing to accept anything less.

Pity should be reserved for those who make themselves perpetually miserable obsessing over unmet unrealistic expectations. Even the best teams have up and down seasons. My realistic expectations are for Zips soccer to be a top 25 program season after season, top 10 some seasons, top contender for the national championship some seasons and an occasional national championship. I would be disappointed if they went on a long slide in competitiveness with no end in sight.

• Like 3

Pity should be reserved for those who make themselves perpetually miserable obsessing over unmet unrealistic expectations. Even the best teams have up and down seasons. My realistic expectations are for Zips soccer to be a top 25 program season after season, top 10 some seasons, top contender for the national championship some seasons and an occasional national championship. I would be disappointed if they went on a long slide in competitiveness with no end in sight.

https://youtu.be/DJnKm6ftPu0

I think we have similar realistic expectations. However, to my knowledge, Embick hasn't had any top 10 seasons, never a national championship contender, and obviously a national championship. If one of his seasons was top 10, its negated by the early tourney exit. The apparent difference is that after two full seasons I haven't seen anything that makes me think he has "it" to be anything more than capable of running a borderline top 25 program.

I think we have similar realistic expectations. However, to my knowledge, Embick hasn't had any top 10 seasons, never a national championship contender, and obviously a national championship. If one of his seasons was top 10, its negated by the early tourney exit. The apparent difference is that after two full seasons I haven't seen anything that makes me think he has "it" to be anything more than capable of running a borderline top 25 program.

I don't agree, but I respect the opinion you state here. Two years is too short to prove or disprove your statement in my opinion. I believe a minimum 5 years is required for a person to show what he can (or cannot) do unless he's totally incompetent. Who is on your list of "elite" coaches that you wanted to come to Akron? Have any of them done as you expect to see at Akron? How do you know they would have lived up to your expectations? How long would you have given any one of them to meet your expectation in the standings and recruiting?

I also disagree that Akron lost its chance to lure some other "elite" coach to our program. The evidence is there that Akron cares about its soccer program and that large crowds can be expected if they like the product they see. We have achievements to which to point to show what we want/expect and, although not as spectacular as a few others, we have one of the best soccer stadiums in NCAA D-I. Many schools larger than Akron still play on artifical surfaces and/or in the middle of their track. Our fans sit close to a beautifully maintained grass field specifically for soccer. And, we show respect for our soccer teams by not letting just anyone use it. We can also point out that Ohio's MLS team has played a US Open Cup match on our field, and was planning to do so again had they been awarded the home game. That is the type of relationship we need to have and or maintain to continue padding our resume.

• Like 2

There will always be questions about Coach Embick until he produces the kind of season his predecessor did as head coach. That's a tough challenge that few coaches in the country could take on, and the few who've proven they can do it are comfortably locked into contracts at major schools with soccer reputations as good as or better than UA's. The head coaches who haven't yet proven themselves would be at least as big a gamble as Coach Embick.

While I have questions like most everyone else, one thing I have confidence in is Coach Porter's knowledge of the game and the people in it. If he thought Coach Embick was the best option to lead the Zips program, I'm willing to give him more than two years to prove himself. This is light years from the iCoach situation where even those who most wanted to give him a fair chance to turn around Zips football knew at some point in the second season there was no chance.

• Like 1

The record and a little history of Coach Embick;

2011 - Under Caleb Porter - 5 first round draft picks leave, 2 2nd round draft picks leave

2012 - Under Caleb Porter - 1 first round draft pick leaves, others graduate

In 2 years, 8 players (I think all underclassmen leave), we also lose our goalie.

2013 - 17-4-1 record, went to the NCAAs lost first round to Marquette in OT (BS scheduling) - losses to St. Johns, VCU, Hartwick - MAC CHAMPIONS

2014 - 13-6-2 record, went to the NCAAs lost to Ohio State in 2 OTs - losses to Penn State, W. Michigan, Michigan St, Wake Forest, S. Fla, Syracuse - MAC CHAMPIONS

2015 - We are 2-1 and in the middle of a brutal road swing…..

Akron earns 3-2 victory over No. 6 Maryland

LZip……was your bar set at a 3-0 victory? Let me tell ya….it could have been. We kicked their asses ON THEIR FIELD.

:rock: