Even Caleb Porter has grown to learn that sometimes on the road you have to make defending the priority and hope for a good counter attack. At minimum, you try to get a tie on the opponents' field. I didn't see the game; so, I don't know what the breakdowns were. Giving up 4 goals ... defending had to have been deplorable.

Need to learn and move on.

This was one game early in the season. Old Dominion plays a different brand of soccer than Akron. ODU never tried to work the ball up the field. Their goalie had a strong leg and would punt the ball 2/3rds to 3/4ths up the field. ODU would group big strong guys where the ball was coming down and those guys would try to direct the ball to their 5'7 super speedy guy. The guy that scored 3 was as fast and elusive as anyone that I have seen in college soccer.

ODU was super aggressive on defense with a fair amount of pushing and grabbing. Akron really struggled to get the ball past the ODU 40 yard line.

The players were frustrated but they did not quit. Adam was still making good passes late in the game. Victor was still battling for the ball at midfield. Richie and Sean were still trying to make runs. Coach Embick moved Andrew to an outside back midway thru the first half to try to change the momentum.

As ME87 said, the best thing to do is learn from the clunker and move on. Soccer can be a cruel game and the zips had some bad bounces early in the 2nd half and it got out of hand. The next time, they play a team that advances the ball completely in the air, the zips will have learned from the Old Dominion game. I would much rather have this type of game in the 2nd match of the year rather than it occurring in the NCAA tourney.

I expect this team to come out with fire in their belly in their next game against Georgetown. This team has too much talent and too many players with great character. This team is still going to have a very good year.

• Like 2

Just saw that their 2-0 loss to Coastal Carolina was against former Zip Fernando Pina in goal. After taking all of last year off from collegiate soccer you landed at CCU.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-soccer/stats/2015-2016/game1.html

Fernando Pina had another shutout today as Coastal Carolina defeated VCU 2-0. At halftime tonight, I talked with an ODU season ticket holder. He said that Coastal Carolina is one of the best soccer teams that he has seen play at Old Dominion. The ODU ticket holder felt that Coastal Carolina was severely under-ranked at pre-season #21.

When we gave the job to the former coach's assistant, I felt like we blew a rare opportunity as a school like Akron. We had a program that could have probably lured just about anyone in the country. We may never have a chance to utilize that type of leverage again, in any sport. I felt like we should have gone elsewhere, and I have been a bit disappointed with what we've accomplished since that time. The contract extension surprised me.

• Like 1

Zips were awful, I mean atrocious, defending the long (accurate) diagonal ball.

And each time, this Josue Henriquez kid calmly and efficiently made them pay for it, in unspectacular fashion.

The score should have been worse. And I am not referring to the PK save.

YES!!! Cmon' man……it was one game. This is a brutal road swing we are on. Georgetown and Maryland are next. Go Zips!!

This is..what...his 3rd season? I don't know about you, but I haven't enjoyed watching him take an elite program to just an above average one.

I'm done. I'm so sick of this crap about our current head coach and our elite program and yada yada yada how we could have hired anyone. If that were true where the hell were all of these awesome coaches. I don't recall anyone beating down the door of our well meaning but clueless AD. I want to win another College Cup, too, but it is not as easy as you folks make it sound. Ask Ken Lolla. OMG, when Ken left, you'd have thought it was the end of Zips Mens Soccer. Caleb Porter began in 2006, correct? What did Akron accomplish in 2006, 2007, and 2008? Caleb didn't go to the College Cup until 2009. Then again in 2010 when we won it all. What did Caleb's teams do in 2011 and 2012? I think Caleb Porter is the greatest coach in Akron Zips history, but even he struggled. Who analyzed the film in preparation for games when Caleb was HC...Jared Embick.

Can we stop with the f'ing Coastal Carolina crap, please. Ok, Coach Docking was a former Zip...great. Coastal has yet to appear in the College Cup, let alone win one. When he wins one, then maybe I'll listen. In the meantime, I'm sick of reading all this bitching. The Zips are in good, capable hands. It would be so much more productive if fans would encourage our players and coaches rather than tearing them down.

• Like 7

I'm done. I'm so sick of this crap about our current head coach and our elite program and yada yada yada how we could have hired anyone. If that were true where the hell were all of these awesome coaches. I don't recall anyone beating down the door of our well meaning but clueless AD. I want to win another College Cup, too, but it is not as easy as you folks make it sound. Ask Ken Lolla. OMG, when Ken left, you'd have thought it was the end of Zips Mens Soccer. Caleb Porter began in 2006, correct? What did Akron accomplish in 2006, 2007, and 2008? Caleb didn't go to the College Cup until 2009. Then again in 2010 when we won it all. What did Caleb's teams do in 2011 and 2012? I think Caleb Porter is the greatest coach in Akron Zips history, but even he struggled. Who analyzed the film in preparation for games when Caleb was HC...Jared Embick.

Can we stop with the f'ing Coastal Carolina crap, please. Ok, Coach Docking was a former Zip...great. Coastal has yet to appear in the College Cup, let alone win one. When he wins one, then maybe I'll listen. In the meantime, I'm sick of reading all this bitching. The Zips are in good, capable hands. It would be so much more productive if fans would encourage our players and coaches rather than tearing them down.

And our team essentially has been gutted by underclassmen going pro early. It is very hard to maintain stability when you are producing pros. 1 loss and people start complaining……….unreal!! :moon:

• Like 1

Expanding on Zip_ME87's perspective post above, from 1955 through 1992, Zips head soccer coaches Stu Parry, Bill Killen, Robert Dowdy and Steve Parker built a consistent winning program that won nearly 70% of its games over those 38 seasons with an average record of about 9.5-4-1. After an inaugural 2-4-1 record in 1955, the Zips have had only one other losing season. That was Parker's final season in 1992 with a disappointing 9-10-0 record.

Looking more closely below at the records of the most recent coaches (Ken Lolla, Caleb Porter and Jared Embick) reminds us that it hasn't always been a smooth ride. As much of a winner as Lolla might be remembered he had some mediocre seasons along the way including records of 7-7-3 and 9-9-1. I wonder what Zips soccer fans were saying about Lolla at the time? And even though Porter was the most consistent winning coach it took a couple of seasons for him to really get the Zips going and match or exceed Lolla's final season 18-1-4 record.

14-3-1 (Ken Lolla, 1993-2005)
11-6-1
11-5-2
9-9-1
14-5-2
17-3-1
11-4-2
7-7-3
10-7-1
10-8-2
15-5-2
13-5-3