Game 5—@Bowling Green

lance99

Let's face it. The MAC East will always be a borderline Dumpster Fire. After the 1-3 start, let's salvage the Season by beating the dreds of the Division. I know that BG has had our number, but is this the one?

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

BG's schedule has been pretty tough too. The one FCS opponent that they played, South Dakota, just beat #10 North Dakota 45-7. To some of you that don't follow college football at that level, North Dakota is a perennial power in FCS with an FBS win against #13 Iowa last year. 

Edited by UA1987

51 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

BG's schedule has been pretty tough too. The one FCS opponent that they played, South Dakota, just beat #10 North Dakota 45-7. To some of you that don't follow college football at that level, North Dakota is a perennial power in FCS with an FBS win against #13 Iowa last year. 

Close, but no stogie.  Iowa lost to North Dakota State.  They are ranked #10.  North Dakota blows.  That is who South Dakota beat.

1 hour ago, K92 said:

Close, but no stogie.  Iowa lost to North Dakota Stat e.  They are ranked #10.  North Dakota blows.  That is who South Dakota beat.

Maybe we both are partly right. North Dakota was in the FCS top 25 when SD beat them badly http://www.goyotes.com/schedule.aspx?path=football.

Point is, BG has played a tough schedule (Michigan State , South Dakota, Northwestern, Middle Tenn.) like the Zips so they may not be as much of a push over as their record indicates.       

Reading the game thread yesterday I was amazed how some posters were implying it's ok for UA to lose as long as they aren't favored to win. I guess those Ianello seasons were successes at 1-11 as last as Akron was expected to lose every game.

i wonder if the reasons we are favored to lose is because of the coaching staff. Novel idea, I know. 

I give any coaching staff at least 2 years to become winners. It takes time to get "your players" on the team. After 6 years, 100% is on the staff. If the talent isn't there, whose fault is that? It's the coach that recruited and developed that talent. Lack of facilities and a garbage off campus stadium haven't been excuses for a long time now. Sooner or later people need to wake up to the real issue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

Reading the game thread yesterday I was amazed how some posters were implying it's ok for UA to lose as long as they aren't favored to win. I guess those Ianello seasons were successes at 1-11 as last as Akron was expected to lose every game.

i wonder if the reasons we are favored to lose is because of the coaching staff. Novel idea, I know. 

I give any coaching staff at least 2 years to become winners. It takes time to get "your players" on the team. After 6 years, 100% is on the staff. If the talent isn't there, whose fault is that? It's the coach that recruited and developed that talent. Lack of facilities and a garbage off campus stadium haven't been excuses for a long time now. Sooner or later people need to wake up to the real issue. 

Maybe your comments should be on the Bowden thread?

Anyhow, if we are able to beat BG next week I would call it a quality win, despite their record, due to their strength schedule, which is one of the highest in the FBS.   

4 minutes ago, K92 said:

We can debate whether a win is a good win.  That's reasonable.  We can not debate whether a loss is a good loss.  There is no such thing as a good loss.

So you're already planting the seed to bitch or discredit the team when we do win. Got it.

Run blocking should be the number one priority throughout practice this week. It has to improve. 

In the three losses, the Zips have rushed for 99 yards (Troy), 38 yards (Iowa State), and 73 yards (PSU). In BG's 4 losses,  MSU rushed for 215 yards, South Dakota rushed for 214 yards, Northwestern rushed for 303 yards, and Middle Tennessee has rushed for 243 yards. Bowling Green offers a chance to get the running game on track, but I think we need a combination of running the ball at the correct time, and increasing the effectiveness of our blocking execution. Time to run the monkey off the Zips back!

Every first down run play of the Troy game:

(12:48 - 1st) Warren Ball run for no gain

(14:54 - 2nd) EDWARDS, Van rush up middle for loss of 1 yard

(11:25 - 2nd) Van Edwards Jr. run for 1 yd

(3:25 - 2nd) Deltron Sands run for 2 yds

(0:14 - 2nd) WOODSON, Thomas rush right for 5 yard

(15:00 - 3rd) Warren Ball run for 8 yds

(11:08 - 3rd) Warren Ball run for 1 yd

(11:08 - 3rd) BALL, Warren rush up middle for 2 yards (holding call)

(11:08 - 3rd) Thomas Woodson run for 1 yd

(6:01 - 3rd) Warren Ball run for 3 yds

(6:01 - 3rd) Warren Ball run for 11 yds

(15:00 - 4th) Warren Ball run for 4 yds

(10:00 - 4th) Warren Ball run for a loss of 1 yard

(10:00 - 4th) Warren Ball run for 4 yds

(4:19 - 4th) Warren Ball run for 2 yds 

That's a total of 39 yards on 15 runs. The Zips passed 15 times on first down also, only completing three, and getting one pass interference call. The Zips first down and ten execution, and or play calling must improve for the team to get better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Run blocking should be number one priority throughout practice this week. It has to improve. 

In the three Zips losses, they have rushed for 99 yards (Troy), 38 yards (Iowa State), and 73 yards (PSU). In BG's 4 losses,  MSU rushed for 215 yards, South Dakota rushed for 214 yards, Northwestern rushed for 303 yards, and Middle Tennessee has rushed for 243 yards. Bowling Green offers a chance to get the running game on track, but I think we need a combination of running the ball at the correct time, and increasing the effectiveness of our blocking execution. Time to run the monkey off the Zips back!

Every first down run play of the Troy game:

(12:48 - 1st) Warren Ball run for no gain

(14:54 - 2nd) EDWARDS, Van rush up middle for loss of 1 yard

(11:25 - 2nd) Van Edwards Jr. run for 1 yd

(3:25 - 2nd) Deltron Sands run for 2 yds

(0:14 - 2nd) WOODSON, Thomas rush right for 5 yard

(15:00 - 3rd) Warren Ball run for 8 yds

(11:08 - 3rd) Warren Ball run for 1 yd

(11:08 - 3rd) BALL, Warren rush up middle for 2 yards (holding call)

(11:08 - 3rd) Thomas Woodson run for 1 yd

(6:01 - 3rd) Warren Ball run for 3 yds

(6:01 - 3rd) Warren Ball run for 11 yds

(15:00 - 4th) Warren Ball run for 4 yds

(10:00 - 4th) Warren Ball run for a loss of 1 yard

(10:00 - 4th) Warren Ball run for 4 yds

(4:19 - 4th) Warren Ball run for 2 yds 

That's a total of 39 yards on 15 runs. The Zips passed 15 times on first down also, only completing three, and getting one pass interference call. The Zips first down and ten execution, and or play calling must improve for the team to get better. 

It seemed to me that Warren B. had a better second half at Troy. Was this better blocking? - probably not. Was it sheer effort on Ball's part? - Maybe. Was it a switch in defensive scheme by Troy's coaches to stop the pass after the half as we were two scores behind - I wonder but can't remember? I turned off the announcers so maybe that guy that used to play said something. To me this is important at BG and for the rest of our season. If they try to focus their defense on Ball we need to come up with answers - good passing game, trickery, or run Woodson to back them off their keys and the line of scrimmage.         

Edited by UA1987