2019 Zips Men's Soccer Recruiting

Latest 2019 commitments list from Top Drawer Soccer includes:

Grant Abbott, GK, Decatur, Illinois, St. Louis FC

Henrique Cruz, MF, New Jersey, Cedar Stars Academy

John Fitzgerald, MF, Tallahassee, Florida, Barca Academy

Will Jackson, MF, Hudson, Ohio, Internationals SC (OH)

Cameron Victor, GK, Olmsted Falls, Ohio, Internationals SC (OH)

I know we've discussed some of these players in the 2018 Recruiting thread. Anyone have any updates?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/boys-da-winter-showcase:-goals-galore_aid45566

this is a premium top drawer soccer article...so most of you won't be able to access it...

A 2019 zip recruit did get mentioned in the article

M Will Jackson, Internationals SC – The Akron recruit showed well ahead of a big game for the Zips, scoring three times on the way to a 5-2 victory against Albion SC.

• Thanks 1

In the 2nd day of games at the showcase....Mr. Will Jackson had another very good day

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/boys-da-winter-showcase:-glut-of-games_aid45571

F Will Jackson, Internationals SC – For the second straight day, Jackson bagged a hat trick, including two in the game’s final seven minutes to tilt the field in his favor. It was a good day for the future Zip when Akron managed to unseat three-time defending champions Stanford Friday night.

also, thank you to Zip_ME87 and fknbuflobo for giving me the heads up on Jason Shokalook - that young man has already tweeted that he is an Akron commit...he is class of 2021

Below are some of the top individual efforts noted from the second day of action.

U16/17

F Jason Shokalook, Internationals SC – Playing in one of the firs games of the day, Shokalook scored four times as the Internationals won 6-1 against Rio Grande Valley FC.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Thank you. This is the young man I pointed out to buflobo at a ZIps home match and said I wondered if he was a potential recruit. Excellent!

4 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Thank you. This is the young man I pointed out to buflobo at a ZIps home match and said I wondered if he was a potential recruit. Excellent!

Yep.  I remember.  He really did look like a recruit at the time.

Blue and Gold had already told us about Jaden Wright

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/high-school-soccer-article/recruiting-roundup:-december-17-23_aid45640

In their Dec. 17-Dec.23 recruiting roundup, top drawer  tells us about Jaden Wright and a young man named Natnael McDonald from Atlanta United

Top Drawer has him rated as one of the top 150 recruits in the country (#120)

BOYS

NCAA DIVISION I

Class of 2019

M Natnael McDonald (Atlanta United) committed to Akron.

F Jaden Wright (Internationals SC) committed to Akron.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Here's a hudl video of Joey Paulus.  It's a year old.

He's left-foot dominant.  I don't know a lot about soccer, but that has to be a good thing for playing the left side of the pitch, right?

I know peanuts compared to guys like @Zip_ME87 and @fknbuflobo, but having a left footer is huge for a balanced attack. Especially the way Akron plays and builds up their offensive attack, this kid could be a huge component. 

Anybody else think the ball looked small in the videos? Haha. 

Might see more and more kids coming to Akron from Medina, too. Their coach is Simon Spelling. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Here's a hudl video of Joey Paulus.  It's a year old.

He's left-foot dominant.  I don't know a lot about soccer, but that has to be a good thing for playing the left side of the pitch, right?

You are correct, sir.  

Now, an offensive player who is left-footed may often play on the right so that he can cut inside for lefty shot.  The further back an outside player is positioned, the more likely he will play on his predominant side.  Lefty Defender is more likely to drive to end line to cross with left foot.  

You are asking the right questions.

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I know peanuts compared to guys like @Zip_ME87 and @fknbuflobo, but having a left footer is huge for a balanced attack. Especially the way Akron plays and builds up their offensive attack, this kid could be a huge component. 

Anybody else think the ball looked small in the videos? Haha. 

Might see more and more kids coming to Akron from Medina, too. Their coach is Simon Spelling. 

Joey Paulus is good.  I saw him twice last year, and once this year. 

Mo Leftys; Mo Better.  Believe you me that it is no coincidence that so many left-footed players come to Akron.

3 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Now, an offensive player who is left-footed may often play on the right so that he can cut inside for lefty shot.  The further back an outside player is positioned, the more likely he will play on his predominant side.  Lefty Defender is more likely to drive to end line to cross with left foot.  

That makes sense too!  I'm starting to totally dig futbol.  I've already decided I'm getting season tickets next year.

• Like 2

Right On, Brother!  Keep making observations and asking questions.   

Keep this in perspective.  Although Futbol may be somewhat new to you, it is not a new sport.  It is older than America’s “pastime” of Baseball.  All the history and tradition comes with that.  Furthermore, UA is among the oldest soccer programs in America collegiate athletics.  

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

That makes sense too!  I'm starting to totally dig futbol.  I've already decided I'm getting season tickets next year.

I strongly disliked soccer until the Caleb Porter years. Akron soccer represents what they call "The Beautiful Game" in its natural beauty. There is a reason that 34-pass build-up on the Stanford goal got so much attention on Twitter; it's rare for American soccer to be played like European soccer (American-style soccer is typically pump and dump like most of college, especially the Big Ten, vs. European which is more Akron-like possession). 

Hopefully the Rowdies get their act together next year. There was nothing like the Porter years when the Rowdies were at their best - a thousand strong on the hill reciting the goalie's entire life via his social media and giving the opponents overall hell. 

If you haven't already, you need to watch this video. 

The Tulsa game in 2010 was probably the epitome of that era atmosphere wise. It was #1 Akron vs. #2 Tulsa, Fox Sports Soccer or Fox Soccer Network (whatever it is called) televised the game nationally. Absolutely bonkers crowd with 1k+ Rowdies on the hill, fireworks prior to the game, etc. Akron won 4-0 I believe. 

Here are some videos from that game...

Overview of "The Pouch" Prior to the Game

Zips Official Recap

The Sound of the Vuvuzelas

I Believe That We Have Won

Side note: I think Embick has taken the Akron style of soccer to the next level. I think we shoot more now, while still maintaining the patient attack. Scary to think we might be better style wise now than when we lost (officially) 1 game in 2 seasons (2009-10). 

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

Right On, Brother!  Keep making observations and asking questions.   

Keep this in perspective.  Although Futbol may be somewhat new to you, it is not a new sport.  It is older than America’s “pastime” of Baseball.  All the history and tradition comes with that.  Furthermore, UA is among the oldest soccer programs in America collegiate athletics.  

I did not know that. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron_Zips_men's_soccer

Stu Parry started Akron Zips Soccer program in 1954.

Some current powerhouses are relative youngsters.

Penn State         1911 (wow)

Syracuse            1920

Clemson             1934

Duke                    1935

UCLA                   1937 

Connecticut       1939

Virginia               1941

Maryland            1946

North Carolina   1947

Akron                  1954

Hartwick             1956 

Michigan State  1956

St. Louis              1959 

Denver                 1961 

Washington        1963

Boston College   1967  

Indiana                1973

Stanford              1973

Notre Dame        1977  

Creighton            1979

Louisville             1979

UAB                      1979

Wake Forest       1980

Kentucky             1991  

New Mexico       1996

Michigan             2000

Dave Pierce, one of the most respected OHSAA and USATF track officials in the Northeast, and a local resident was on the early Zips soccer teams, and tells the stories fondly.  The first home field for Akron soccer was the outfield for the Firestone Stadium.  If you're familiar with the site, there's a wall in left field that runs the entire length of the complex and the matches were played in that direction, and Dave said the hill above the wall was packed with fans when they would play home matches, and that Stu would trot down the wall shaking fans hands....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Dave Pierce, one of the most respected OHSAA and USATF track officials in the Northeast, and a local resident was on the early Zips soccer teams, and tells the stories fondly.  The first home field for Akron soccer was the outfield for the Firestone Stadium.  If you're familiar with the site, there's a wall in left field that runs the entire length of the complex and the matches were played in that direction, and Dave said the hill above the wall was packed with fans when they would play home matches, and that Stu would trot down the wall shaking fans hands....

Great Story!

On 12/19/2018 at 11:41 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I strongly disliked soccer until the Caleb Porter years. Akron soccer represents what they call "The Beautiful Game" in its natural beauty. There is a reason that 34-pass build-up on the Stanford goal got so much attention on Twitter; it's rare for American soccer to be played like European soccer (American-style soccer is typically pump and dump like most of college, especially the Big Ten, vs. European which is more Akron-like possession). 

Hopefully the Rowdies get their act together next year. There was nothing like the Porter years when the Rowdies were at their best - a thousand strong on the hill reciting the goalie's entire life via his social media and giving the opponents overall hell. 

If you haven't already, you need to watch this video. 

The Tulsa game in 2010 was probably the epitome of that era atmosphere wise. It was #1 Akron vs. #2 Tulsa, Fox Sports Soccer or Fox Soccer Network (whatever it is called) televised the game nationally. Absolutely bonkers crowd with 1k+ Rowdies on the hill, fireworks prior to the game, etc. Akron won 4-0 I believe. 

Here are some videos from that game...

Overview of "The Pouch" Prior to the Game

Zips Official Recap

The Sound of the Vuvuzelas

I Believe That We Have Won

Side note: I think Embick has taken the Akron style of soccer to the next level. I think we shoot more now, while still maintaining the patient attack. Scary to think we might be better style wise now than when we lost (officially) 1 game in 2 seasons (2009-10). 

I did not know that. 

23 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron_Zips_men's_soccer

Stu Parry started Akron Zips Soccer program in 1954.

Some current powerhouses are relative youngsters.

Penn State         1911 (wow)

Syracuse            1920

Clemson             1934

Duke                    1935

UCLA                   1937 

Connecticut       1939

Virginia               1941

Maryland            1946

North Carolina   1947

Akron                  1954

Hartwick             1956 

Michigan State  1956

St. Louis              1959 

Denver                 1961 

Washington        1963

Boston College   1967  

Indiana                1973

Stanford              1973

Notre Dame        1977  

Creighton            1979

Louisville             1979

UAB                      1979

Wake Forest       1980

Kentucky             1991  

New Mexico       1996

Michigan             2000

21 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

20 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Great Story!

Someone should WRITE A BOOK!!! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Latest list of 2019 commitments from Top Drawer Soccer

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-details/men/akron/clgid-438/tab-commitments

Grant Abbott, GK, Decatur, Illinois, St. Louis FC

Henrique Cruz, MF, New Jersey, Cedar Stars Academy

John Fitzgerald, MF, Tallahassee, Florida, Barca Academy

Will Jackson, MF, Hudson, Ohio, Internationals SC (OH)

Cameron Victor, GK, Olmsted Falls, Ohio, Internationals SC (OH)

Natnael McDonald, MF, Georgia, Atlanta United

Jaden Wright, F, Lorain, Ohio, Internationals SC (OH)