NCAA Soccer 21st Century Model

I think the idea is to make college more like the developmental academies so that players don’t feel their training is getting short-changed by deciding to go to college. 

@Let'sGoZips94 do you have Twitter? Click the above-posted tweet if you do. It will take you to the 21st Century Midel Twitter page where you’ll find lots of good info.

This is so subversive.  I love it! College Soccer is acting in its own best interests, outside the

auspices of NCAA.  About F’ing time, I say!  Times are a changin’!  With or without the NCAA.

Preferably with.  This vote is big.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:13 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

How much would this make college a more attractive option than going "pro" (or whatever the right term is) out of high school?

It's unknown at this point, but that's exactly the purpose and reason why most top coaches -- led by the Terp's Cirovski -- are getting behind the new model.  The belief that college soccer is falling rapidly behind the times in its ability to develop pro players is putting severe pressure to make the college experience more like developmental and professional models.  There are other aspects to the model, such as limited substitutions that are also intended to increase the interest of top-flight prospects -- particularly American players, to use college as a bridge to a pro career rather than jumping from (especially MLS) academies into USL or other pro leagues.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2022 at 9:40 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

So this would be year round soccer essentially with a spring championship?

A split season just about like everyone else does with the NCAAs starting in late April/first of May. Play the non conference games in the fall and conference games and NCAA tournament in the Spring. It would mimic what almost all pro leagues do. By doing this it would also cut down playing 2 games a week to one game a week for the most part. Which gives the player more time to rest and recover and less injuries hopefully.

The NCAA was supposed to vote on this in the 2020 soccer meetings and then the pandemic happened. Why it hasn't been put back on the docket is beyond me. I know Coach Grassie at Marshall not only supports it but ever since he has been at Marshall has advocated for it. He also has said most of the coaches he knows on a daily or weekly basis supports the split season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1