GP1
Members-
Posts
11,244 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
91
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by GP1
-
It's interesting. I'll say it a slightly different way. College football and basketball have become antithetical to what universities are trying to accomplish. Athletes are largely separated from the general student body because of their practice and class load, which is largely individualized so other people can complete the work for them. The university experience should bring young people together in a group learning environment so they can learn as individuals and learn to work in groups. Collaboration is critical to the learning process. Further, there are no other elements of the university system that uses the labor of others to make money in a gross way. In addition, athletics requires non athletes to pay enormous students fees to support athletic departments. Many of these students must increase their student loan dept in order to pay for these fees. These loans dog them for years after they graduate. I'd love it if more kids didn't go to college to take advantage of the NBA D league. I'd also love it if there was a minor league football league run similar to MLB. College athletics are completely overheated and something has to happen to cool it down. It's becoming bad for the athletes students alumni fans and general community around universities.
-
Ready to pay 60% of a class action law suit? https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2024/05/20/proposed-house-vs-ncaa-power-5-settlement-unfairly-hurts-small-schools-nil-billion-dollars/73760608007/
-
Imagine how good they would get if they compounded it with the exposure of playing every game on a weeknight, because that's where the networks are going to throw the bad match ups. Over a three year period, a team like Toledo would trade out their high level G5 players for P4 castaways. When the castaways leave, they will struggle to find a team to build a winning culture around. Why can't the G5 schools have their own national championship?
-
Let's say a Toledo made it up. In three years, they would go from a perennial winner to a laughing stock. The best they could hope for is being Vanderbilt level good. After three years they would have to take their broken, demoted program void of any players because they would all transfer out and then try to win at a lower level. Relegation would be the path of destruction for programs. It would be great for the Alabama's of the world because it would create an even worse lower class than already exists. I would pray for relegation if I was an Alabama fan. Easy wins get easier.
-
Maybe. What I am certain of is the older you get, the faster you get old. 70 is really old to still be in the workforce. He and his wife appear to be in great health. Another saying is, there are three speeds in retirement: go-go, slow-go, and no-go. There is much more no go than the others. They might just want to enjoy their go-go years. I don't blame them one bit.
-
I talked to Dr. Miller and his wife two years in a row at an alumni event the city where I live. Both are wonderfully nice people. Best wishes to them in the next phase of their life together. Dr. Miller had a good five years. He marshalled the University through difficult financial times. He also went out of his way to reach all parts of the University community. I loved the Good News With Gary monthly videos. Five years is enough for an executive at that level. Now that the hard cuts are made, bring someone in n with a different perspective to continue to move the University forward.
-
Relegation is the dumbest idea in college athletics since believing the exposure of weeknight games was good for teams and conferences.
-
To whom?
-
Like Dr. Frankenstein, it's dying at the hands of the monster it created.
-
Clawson is right. ACC football is widely disrespected. It deserves every bit of the disrespect. I'm not sure what it can do about it. It's in the backyard of the two best football conferences in the country. It's still pretty good football though. People worry too much about what others think about them. All the ACC can control is itself. If it wants more respect, earn it. Just don't complain about it. It only points out flaws.
-
He's a good coach at a historically horrid program. Excluding the COVID season, he had 6 winning seasons in nine. With that said, 10 years is a long time to be somewhere and he might have run out of time after the Hartman era. Recruiting has been poor and the lack of talent was apparent last season. Wake is patient to a fault with coaches. We'll see how patient they are after this coming season. I think they need a more sleazy guy to navigate the transfer portal era.
-
Good. So, four ooc games. Only one payday, one FCS and two G5. I'd take that. I'd much prefer 9 conference games. Regardless, the SBC still shows it is prioritizing winning over money. The MAC isn't.
-
You are correct. I thought they were still in CUSA. You sure about Liberty.
-
That's not what I'm implying. The conference has a defined strategy they agreed upon. They each play one payday game, one G5 game, one P5 and 9 conference games. For example, this coming season Appalachian State plays East Tennessee, Clemson and Marshall (CUSA). That's a solid ooc schedule. One guaranteed win, one P5 game a short bus ride to Clemson, and a game against an old rival from their I-AA days. I'd be happy with this if I was an Appalachian State alum. This conference strategy introduces an opportunity to better compete in 1-3 more games and opens up opportunities for more wins. It's why they have so many teams with at least 6 wins and in bowl games. I don't care if they are bad bowls or not. Bowls are good for the athletes students alumni fans and general community around the schools. Winning = good. Losing = bad. The SBC tries to win. The MAC isn't trying to win. Those of you who pay to go to the games are having your money stolen from you.
-
Yes. Payday games.
-
Respectfully, population has nothing to do with the Sun Belt's success. The SBC made a decision to apply sanity to how they schedule games. The decision prioritized conference games and winning over money. It's no more complex than this. They are succeeding on purpose. The MAC has prioritized money over winning. The MAC is failing on purpose. I don't know enough about cusa, nor do I care enough about cusa, to know what they prioritize. My guess is it's money.
-
Speaking of cuts, I just heard Norte Dame College in Cleveland folded. I honestly do know how a lot of these private schools stay open.
-
I can barely stay awake looking at this list of desperate losers.
-
1-11 is also the range of ACT scores for the average Kent student. 110 is their average SAT score.
-
What would this do? It's one of those dumb things soccer fans see in Europe and think it's a great idea. I'm not even sure why it's a great idea in European soccer. It looks to me like there would always be a certain number of teams jockeying around to be the worst team in P5. In reality, it would do exactly the opposite of what we need. We need to completely divorce ourselves from P5. This nonsensical relegation would just be another excuse for athletic directors to destroy the schools they work for in the disguise they could be a contender some day. We don't need relegation, we need an alimony system. We need to combine with G5 schools and demand more money from P5 schools so we would only need to play one a year. With all of the TV money they get they will be able to pay significantly more. That's our alimony. We put up with enough of their crap for years in a horrible, abusive marriage. In the long run we'll be happier without them. Relegation my foot.
-
Grotesque indeed. It's getting hard to look at and I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. It's also getting worse.
-
I've advocates for this for years and many have talked about it publicly. "Zero traction" is the same thing I notice. I'm guessing it puts the careers of too many ADs in jeopardy. This is why the university presidents of G5 schools need to discuss the idea as a commission with no athletic directors included. In addition, one league would require one commissioner, not 5. I doubt there are five commissioners out there willing to risk being one of the 4 that are out.
-
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-new-college-athlete-compensation-model-may-cost-power-schools-300m-each-over-10-years-003140102.html
-
2024 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2025.
GP1 replied to mrelegazna's topic in Akron Zips Basketball
I'd be willing to donate $100 to finding the missing stall door from the lone crapper on the press box side of the Rubber Bowl. -
I don't dislike him at all. Just noting he isn't an NBA player. I watched the Cavs yesterday. It was a savagely aggressive game between a bunch of freakishly good players. B James doesn't fit that description.
