Toledo game

ZippyRulz

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deeustin..I'm not sure what your motivation is sometimes, but a nice attempt at an I-told-you-so comment when the guy hits his first 3-pointer in his last 22 attempts. And especially when his attempt at late game heroics turned into a disaster at a critical juncture at Can't State just 3 days ago. Nice job trying to ruin an otherwise exciting day to be a Zips fan. I don't always mention every player that played on the floor on a particular night. But in this case, it was a gutsy performance, he made some big plays at the end, and had a pretty efficient night handling the basketball. He's also had other performances that have impressed me this year, and they have been documented here. I cheer mightily for the guy, as much as you may believe otherwise. On the other hand, I have also not been shy to point out the out-of-control play, poor decision making, turnover problems, and deteriorating shooting effectiveness during the course of the season. As a long-time friend pointed out to me late last night, he definitely has the talent to contribute to this team. But, he's struggled with figuring out what he can, and cannot do throughout the course of the year. And I believe that is true. And I think that when he decides to focus on accomplishing those things he does well, he'll be able to contribute some solid basketball play for us on a more consistent basis in the coming years.

Deeustin..I'm not sure what your motivation is sometimes, but a nice attempt at an I-told-you-so comment when the guy hits his first 3-pointer in his last 22 attempts. And especially when his attempt at late game heroics turned into a disaster at a critical juncture at Can't State just 3 days ago. Nice job trying to ruin an otherwise exciting day to be a Zips fan. I don't always mention every player that played on the floor on a particular night. But in this case, it was a gutsy performance, he made some big plays at the end, and had a pretty efficient night handling the basketball. He's also had other performances that have impressed me this year, and they have been documented here. I cheer mightily for the guy, as much as you may believe otherwise. On the other hand, I have also not been shy to point out the out-of-control play, poor decision making, turnover problems, and deteriorating shooting effectiveness during the course of the season. As a long-time friend pointed out to me late last night, he definitely has the talent to contribute to this team. But, he's struggled with figuring out what he can, and cannot do throughout the course of the year. And I believe that is true. And I think that when he decides to focus on accomplishing those things he does well, he'll be able to contribute some solid basketball play for us on a more consistent basis in the coming years.
Skip, Are you so old that you can't remeber what it was like to be 18? This kid is not some seasoned pro or even a college senior. Give him time. :rolleyes:

"Nice job trying to ruin an otherwise exciting day to be a Zips fan." Pot, this is Kettle.

"Nice job trying to ruin an otherwise exciting day to be a Zips fan." Pot, this is Kettle.
Was thinking the same thing .. Hey skip .. I know some little kids who are learning to walk at the daycare mine go to .. wanna stop by and remind them that they still fall down now and then? Wouldn't want them to be proud of their accomplishment or gain some confidence, now would we?

uaZipsMan....a Cleveland State upset pretty much takes care of our coverage for the next couple of days. I've been there...1986 all over again. :rolleyes:
See today's PD. Awesome Zips and MAC coverage. It dwarf's CSU's.Have you ever been happy?
*knock on wood jinxunjinx* Let me submit the theory that if Akron wins the MAC tourney and gets into the NCAA dance, they will probably get more coverage from the Cleveland media with CSU also in it.... rather than the little blurbs Akron would get otherwise.... simply because of the heightened buzz about the big dance all together.But that's all academic. The zips have lots of work to do.

Skip, I say all of the following with the best of intentions:There's no mystery here. If you cheer mightily for a player to yourself and fill your posts here with mostly criticisms, there's going to be pushback from fans who question your true motives and intent.Do you not see the oddity of posting a lengthy analysis of the game without even acknowledging the biggest hero of all?Do you not see why fans would question whether your season-long criticisms of Hitchens were intended to be constructive when you failed to acknowledge his greatest achievements in your initial post?Do you not see that your initial failure to acknowledge Hitchens' two incredible game-winning plays on a bum ankle will suggest to some that you may have secretly preferred to see him fail to "prove" your continual criticisms? (Freudian slip comes to mind here.)Do you not see that other fans also see the weak points of individual Zips players, but are simply not as shy as you are about giving credit where credit is due?Do you not see how you come across as trying to provoke other fans by focusing on the negatives and downplaying the positives?Whether this is all deliberate provocation or just part of your innate personality, you should be well aware by now that your predominately negative comments will not be well-received on a Zips fan forum, nor should they be.Keep poking a dog with a stick and you will get snapped at.Your choice.

Dave...one again you said it well in the previous post. Skip i don't expect you to declare him the second coming or best thing walking. But notice how quickly you just jumped all over the 0-22 thing? notice how all of a sudden he cost them the Can't St. game? (by the way i thought he was doing a pretty good job of icing the game for the Zips down the stretch from the line until McKee got free). Its been the same thing all year. You are just not very good at hiding your distaste for this one certain player. Add this to your glorious praise for Ronnie in the short time he played and starting threads about how anxious you are to see him play, and its not hard to put two and two together here. All year you harp on turnovers, well when the kid commits only 2 on a bum wheel, and assists on or scores pretty much every basket in crunch time to keep the Zips season going, all while taking care of the ball, you'd think that Skip would say "this is what i've been wanting to see out of him all year...good job"...but you're not capable of that. your bias is too strong.

My take on Humpty (I don't even know why I'm getting involved in this, why can't we just enjoy the Toledo win and move on?)You can say a lot of negative things about the kid. He's short, even for a freshman PG. He's not the best decision maker ever. He isn't a pure pass first PG. His shot selection can be puzzling at times. At this point in his career he is, at best an inconsistent shooter. BUT...the kid is a competitor. I can't think of one game all year where anyone could come up to me and say that that kid didn't leave every inch of himself out on the floor. Not to mention, he's got ice water running through his viens. For a freshman to go into the situations he's been in this year and not seem at all phased by it is pretty impresssive. Is he going to provide last minute heroics every single time the Zips need it. Ofcourse not. Kobe Bryant and LeBron James don't even pull off the miracle every time they need it. But I'll take Humpty running the show at the end of regulation over a deer in the headlights, piss down your leg kid any night of the week. I can't wait to see how the rest of his career plays out.

Has the result of this game drawn much publicity? Maybe it was just an emotional night but this was one of the best games I have ever listened to, yet it was second to Can't's close victory in the Akron Beacon Journal. Am I blinded by my emotions...hatred for Can't...or just wrong?Though a poor showing for the Zips, and a free throw contest gone wrong, how can this not be the top sports story in the akron beacon?

Has the result of this game drawn much publicity? Maybe it was just an emotional night but this was one of the best games I have ever listened to, yet it was second to Can't's close victory in the Akron Beacon Journal. Am I blinded by my emotions...hatred for Can't...or just wrong?Though a poor showing for the Zips, and a free throw contest gone wrong, how can this not be the top sports story in the akron beacon?
because the beacon journal still doesn't know how to cover a zips game like they should.

winzip...i know what you mean man. i was looking for it on ESPN amongst all the other thrilling tourney games from the day. Not one of them had more clutch game changing plays than this one. Maybe there wasn't a TV crew in the house so not as much was made of it? i don't know.
That's the answer. That's also the reason the online video on the MAC website sucked. Since there was no TV on Tuesday, nobody outside northern Ohio will have any idea that such a thrilling game took place.