UA in the news

• 2 weeks later...
fyi, the second phase of coleman commons is underway. didn't see it mentioned.

ive noticed that... but doesnt that also call for the demolition of the decrepit tennis courts? any source for info there?

You guys are referring to the proposed garden-area to the north of FirstEnergy Stadium, right?

You guys are referring to the proposed garden-area to the north of FirstEnergy Stadium, right?

Pretty much. If I recall, Coleman Commons calls for the extension of the same kind of greenspace design towards the REC to be mimicked where the tennis courts are, along with some other greenspace additions (what i believe theyre working on right now)

this is what the design calls for, though modified slightly to accomodate for the changes already made to the soccer stadium (moved north and west a bit - walk between practice field is gone) but generally still the same.

155048.jpg

Pretty much. If I recall, Coleman Commons calls for the extension of the same kind of greenspace design towards the REC to be mimicked where the tennis courts are, along with some other greenspace additions (what i believe theyre working on right now)

this is what the design calls for, though modified slightly to accomodate for the changes already made to the soccer stadium (moved north and west a bit - walk between practice field is gone) but generally still the same.

155048.jpg

right now they're building the "sitting steps" (which already look pretty cool in front of Buchtel), and the ampitheatre stage.

I'm glad UA is so preoccupied by adding curvy sidewalks, planting bushes, and adding sitting steps...really?

Good thing they don't care about building a new arena or producing a winning football team. Those new bushes will really put in the national spotlight! Hopefully the 20 fans that go to watch football games will enjoy looking at them as they walk back to the parking lots...

I'm glad UA is so preoccupied by adding curvy sidewalks, planting bushes, and adding sitting steps...really?

Good thing they don't care about building a new arena or producing a winning football team. Those new bushes will really put in the national spotlight! Hopefully the 20 fans that go to watch football games will enjoy looking at them as they walk back to the parking lots...

Seriously?

Seriously?

Yeah, obviously the money we are spending on some bushes would have fully built a new basketball arena AND bought us the magical "football team-enhancing elixir" that is currently being developed. Now how we gonna afford those things? :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Unbelievable.

You realize, this is a University Campus, right?

Students!

Ever hear of them?

When I first came on U.A. campus when I was in HS, it was to visit some friends who were already going there, and to do some bar hopping later (sshhhh).

Back then, there was no campus. Yes, they may have called it a "campus" at the time, I don't know, but it was city streets. If it weren't for a couple barricades, you could drive right up to the front door of Bierce Library.

Now when I started looking at other schools in the state, the differences were stark. Miami in particular had a very pretty old east coast college appeal, or that's how I perceived it.

Personally, I love the Coleman Commons plan. It mostly finishes what the original buchtel commons did for the campus.

• 2 weeks later...

A quote from UA Professor John C. Green:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/13/c...ace/?hpt=hp_bn3

“Some of these evangelical leaders are not as active as they once were in politics and the evangelical movement has changed a little overtime,” says John Green, a political scientist from the University of Akron. “Where this group could have an effect is if they coalesced around one candidate and then helped to provide resources.”

Boots on the ground, phone lists, robocalls, and even the possibility of an evangelical super PAC could move the needle for a candidate, Green said. But the time for such resource-intensive mobilization is growing thin.

• 2 weeks later...
This should go in the "Most random references to Akron" thread but I don't know how to find it and have a headache so don't even want to look for it. But...

There are two Zippy bobbleheads on the desk of ESPN's Mike & Mike show. One right in front of Golic & another to Greeney's far right.

Maybe a Zips fan since he's from Cleveland... that's all I got.

This should go in the "Most random references to Akron" thread but I don't know how to find it and have a headache so don't even want to look for it. But...

There are two Zippy bobbleheads on the desk of ESPN's Mike & Mike show. One right in front of Golic & another to Greeney's far right.

Try http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7505578 (I see the "Heisman pose" Zippy bobblehead in front of Golic's laptop. EDIT: At about 00:06, I see the other Zippy to "Greeney's far right".)

Try http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7505578 (I see the "Heisman pose" Zippy bobblehead in front of Golic's laptop. EDIT: At about 00:06, I see the other Zippy to "Greeney's far right".)

Good catch! That's it! Maybe the mods can move the last few posts to The Most Random References thread? (Even though, I suppose, seeing a Zippy bobblehead on a sportstalk show shouldn't be considered too awfully random. :lol: )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Article mentions a UA biologist..

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/science/...like-sheen.html

Matthew D. Shawkey, a biologist at the University of Akron in Ohio who conducted some of the most telling analysis of the melanosome-iridescence relationship, noted that modern birds use their feathers for many different things, including flight, regulation of body temperature and mate-attracting displays. Hypotheses concerning the function of iridescent colors in birds have centered on their role as visual social signals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...