Report in

Zipmeister

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is just me because no one else has complained about this. The stadium just seems to be missing something. Yeah it looks great. But to me it is bare and lifeless. Im not too sure what there is they could do now but I think something needs to be added to the stands opposite the press box. Then something need to be done to building in the north endzone. It looks bare and the ring of honor on a wall, which last time i checked is not a ring, looked fairly stupid. All in all the stadium is nice, but just had those few complaints. The vibe around campus was awesome. I was talking many students, friends, and former players and for the first time we can remember this actually felt like a college campus on gameday. Which to me was a great feeling to see in my hometown.
I think a night game will be awesome and may change your mind about the atmosphere.

That was the most incredible thing I have seen in Akron in a long long time. And I'm old.To have a first class venue like this, and have it on campus, this takes the whole university to the next level. Not just the football program. Anyone visiting the campus or being recruited to play here is going to be blown away.They did a good job choosing the opponent as the team looked a little tight at the start, and a major program would have jumped all over that. The team they picked lets the players get some hits, get into the game, and it was a positive experience for everybody. They should be a lot more ready for Indiana.Traffic wasn't a problem, everyone thought parking would be a disaster but that worked out well IMO. Things could have been better organized, but the U has never put on a program of this magnitude, and did a superb job. A few minor problems here and there, typically these types of events go badly.We never saw any security issues. All in all it went smoother than a lot of other sporting events we've been to.We will be back!!!

2) We need Ohio football (not just OSU) to look as good as possible whenever possible against the likes of the PAC 10 and SEC.
Yes we need the Big Ten to return to prominence.That way it makes us look that much better when we blow the crap out of a B10 team!!! :rock: Way to go, Central Michigan!!!! We're next!!!!

I think a night game will be awesome and may change your mind about the atmosphere.
Didnt think about that. Night games are alway awesome in my opinion. Maybe for our first night game or our first big night game we could have a blue (or any Akron color) out. Think that would be pretty cool. GP1 - I walked by Bdubs it looked alright. Nothing special. They did have the whole parking lot blocked off and people were drinking outside. Like some one else said im not a big Bdubs fan. The food isnt very good for the prices they charge.

I thought the student sections were overall good. I was in section 216, only thing kinda disappointing was that the students didn't sit below us in 116. I just think it would be better if both sides were the same, 117 was students so why not 116? Also I got really mad because I was standing up cheering and a girl behind me kept complaining because she was sitting and couldn't see? Are you serious? I think if you want to sit in the student section you have no right to get mad at us for standing up. EVERY person in the student sections should be standing, cheering loud and making as much noise as possible and not get yelled at by people who want to sit. I also saw an older couple, probably in their 50s getting mad the students were standing in front of them. I don't even know why they were in the student section to begin with? Safe to say the older couple hated their experience and probably never come back...oh well their own fault

A few things not previously mentioned. -Before the game a student in the Rowdie section had on an Akron hat and an OSU hat...it was nicely pointed out to the whole student section and he took it off. -The water fountains should contain cold water, not warm.-The sky divers were awesome.-Was at Barley House later in the evening when the Buckeyes were playing. It was amazing to see 75% of the people wearing Zips gear and ONLY 25% wearing OSU. The fans wern't even really into the game and I kept hearing a lot of talk about the Akron game. It was great to witness that. -During pregame I got chills several times. Especially when we started doing the ZI PS cross stadium cheers. If only we could get the students on the hill to join in a cheer.-Student gate AT 11:45 there were already close to 300 students in line.Can't wait for Beat Indiana weekend!

Did anyone go to BW3? If so, how was it?
Anyone?
I don't see the purpose of going on game day. Maybe if it is raining. I planned on going downtown (Whiskey Dicks) before joining a tailgate party just to check it out and see if there was any "buzz". The minute I arrived on campus and saw how much tailgating was going on I changed my mind, parked my car and started tailgating. I was hoping that tailgating was going to be as fun as the Rubber Bowl, I now think it might be better! Seems like a lot of new people are into it on campus. :cheers:

I take it as a GREAT sign that there appear to be more posters on the boards the last couple days, and I think I'm noticing a few new ones too. The INFO pays off already for the nation. BOO YEAH BABY.At this point, I'm already looking forward like crazy to Indiana Saturday!So this is what major college football home game anticipation is like? Never really felt it before. I like it. I like it a LOT.GO ZIPS!STZ

My report from the game...The Good-The scene on campus and the the surrounding neighborhoods was as it should have been for all of these years. A sense of celebration and pride running through everyone.Alot of people back on campus for the first time in years! It was like a reunionThe stadium is wonderful...way better full of butts then at the open house.How quickly(once your in the gates) you can get to your seat...it is very well designed.The amount of space between the people in front of you and behind you...no bumping into anyone or obstructed views in front of you, the bleacher design is great.Standing on the walkway under the scoreboard...Nice and shaded with a wonderful late summer breeze to watch from a different angle.The bathrooms...I walked right to 8 open urinals with no problem!The Bad-The majority of the fans...RIDICULOUS!!!! Almost embarrasing in the GA section. The first drive of the game Morg ST. was driving on the Zips. 3rd & 2 and everyone sitting on their azzes! Get up and make noise!!! It seemed like the majority of people had never been to a football game in their lives! Maybe they were in such shock at the new stadium but it was bad. They were not into the game at all? Also the students on the hill...Zips scored in the HILL end zone and maybe half cheered, the rest were texting for most of the game. The other student sections were great.The line to get in right before the game. Seriously, lets get those tickets checked a bit quicker.The concession lines...seemed very long for not selling alcohol?The scorboard operator? What was going on in the first quarter? 1st and 9, 4th and 0...Should have been plenty of time for a test run!MY WISHLISTA scoreboard somewhere to show stats...first downs, rushing yards etc...Would be very nice!The small scoreboard to show down and distance...had to keep craning back to see the big one.I know this is a stretch and I do not expect it at all but it is a wishlist...RE-ENTRY allowed. BW-3 is right there to have a cold one at halftime!!!! It would be perfect if you could leave and come back but oh well!Overall It was awesome...It felt very odd, it seemed like an away game to be honest but I am just used to the Rubber Bowl.I think if we continue to build on our traditions, get the damn fans into the game and implement some more cool things to gameday, it will be a very daunting place to have to come play. Until the fans step it up though, it will be tough to make it "our own"Great job U of A!

It was a great, great day, one that I will remember for a long time. I must have taken 60 pictures. My 3 year old daughter experienced her first college game, first mild tailgating experience, first Zipsfest, etc. Stadium was awesome, team was very good, weather was great, campus was rocking, etc.The good (great):1. Stadium: awesome site lines, awesome field, hill was great. Felt more like 40-50,000 people vs. 27,000 the way it sets up.2. Tailgating: just a great experience. Really relaxed and enjoyable. Beers were good and cold.3. Zipsfest: very well done. We arrived just in time to see the band, then my daughter got A-Roo logo on her hand, and we just took in the sights.4. Ran into Tom Wistercill on my way to the game: he was walking alone (which I found interesting) as a regular fan would, I was walking with wife and kid, stuck out my hand and said, "Good luck". He said "Thank you, and thanks for coming out today."5. Frats= nice partying!!! Definitely created a great atmosphere around the stadium. Awesome stuff! Really added to the experience.6. Uniforms..really liked them, awesome keeping them secret.7. Weather=thanks God!!! Bring it again next week. By 3:30, pressbox gives me shade= no sun burn (and I coated myself well enough to avoid it this week).Need to work on:1. Programs= never saw a vendor. Saw 2 people with them the whole day (from afar). Disappointed I did not get one..I could have asked but someone, just never got around to it. Enjoying the game too much!!!2. Zips Team Shop= somewhat understandable, but disappointing that it was not open.3. High school-esque sales at the concessions= trying to add prices in their heads. Get registers or calculators!!!4. Tailgating needs to start 5-6 hours before game. For a 3:30 game, I would love to start at around 9:30/10, then hit BW-3 and then Zipsfest. Need more time to take it all in!!!I would give a solid "A" to the universty, city and the team for a near perfect day of fun!!!!

Overall, met every expectation that I had. We were in lot 4 (they really should let the parking attendants know what the lot numbers are since some didn't know what lot they were attending, but very minor really) between Phi Tau and Delta Gamma and started tailgating around 11:15. I expected to see a few more tailgaters around that area but it still had the feel of a nice big-time program. The Zips Fest was well done but if anything it did seem that the demand was underplanned. I bought a few Zips shirts at a little Kiosk by Memorial and then went back and told my brother-in-law and by the time he got back there they were sold out (programs did disappear early - for crying out loud it was the opening game - didn't they think a few people might want them?). For all the gnashing of teeth about the huge traffic problems we could have had, we were in and out in minutes. Did anyone have any traffic issues?But any complaints were minor, being on campus and having a big-time feel about it was awesome. I thought it was great that some of the other sports had tents to celebrate, saw Zeke and a lot a the team beforehand, but the best thing of all was there was Zips gear everywhere. If they didn't have it, they bought it, very few other colleges represented other than Akron. :) I didn't even mind the lines going in that gives the feel of big-time football as well (ask me how long it took me to get into Penn State). It just seemed long because I was so eager to get inside. Giveways and atmosphere outside was outstanding (loved seeing all of the Greek houses having something going), pregame with the skydivers was great, and it was electric when the Zips entered. Loved the noise. We were down close (7 rows up and while I was a little worried when we bought the season tickets, turned out that was a great sight line and it's fun being that close. I would have even caught one of the mini footballs (I watched for the cheerleader with the weakest arm :D ), and would have had it if the guy in front of me didn't jump and get a finger on it. :)I know a lot of people were disappointed that we didn't open with a "name" opponent, but it seems to me that this was perfect. had a chance to work ou the kinks and having a pretty good chance of an opening week win which hopefully bring folks back next week. The seats were a little crowded (but I'd prefer that over there being no one there), the student hill was awesome (I wanted to go sit there too :), and I loved that the Zips team shop was crowded with lines. A first class experience, I will be back next Friday for two Indiana victories!

4. Tailgating needs to start 5-6 hours before game. For a 3:30 game, I would love to start at around 9:30/10, then hit BW-3 and then Zipsfest. Need more time to take it all in!!!
It is my understanding that the "lots open 4 hours before kickoff" is just a formality. We arrived at 9:30 on Saturday and had an awesome time. I would have loved to have seen more people there early. I plan on getting there by 10-10:30 this weekend.

While I wasn't at the game, I did have a look at a fellow poster's photo log from the game. The photo that touched me the most was of the large crowd in the walking mall in the old intersection of Brown Street and Carrol Street (sp?). It showed how really alive the campus was on game day. I thought that was awesome. The other thing that struck me was how many people were smiling. The Rubber Bowl was a depressing place and it was hard to smile there unless something really good happened or if you were really drunk. Just looking at the pictures gave me a good vibe.I think a big congratulations should go out to EVERYONE at the University who made Saturday a great day. It's been a long time coming. I'm looking forward to coming back for a game later in the year.

At some schools you can buy a seat back with a cushioned seat that attaches to the bench. This requires some sort of extra donation to the alumni fund. These seats are placed out at the beginning of the season and remain all year. Some schools allow you to "rent" one for one game for five or ten dollars and leave the seat attached to the bench at the end of the game and someone else comes and collects them when the stadium is empty. I think this is a great way for the University to generate additional income. Did UofA offer anything like this?

At some schools you can buy a seat back with a cushioned seat that attaches to the bench. This requires some sort of extra donation to the alumni fund. These seats are placed out at the beginning of the season and remain all year. Some schools allow you to "rent" one for one game for five or ten dollars and leave the seat attached to the bench at the end of the game and someone else comes and collects them when the stadium is empty. I think this is a great way for the University to generate additional income. Did UofA offer anything like this?
I suggested this exact plan months ago. Indiana, in fact, does this. However, it is my understanding they leave it there all year. So, it will look a bit odd when there are empty seats. My guess is they will offer this in a year or 2. It is becoming more prevalent across the country.

No. In fact some fans tried to bring their own chairbacks and anything that had metal to attach to the bleachers were turned away. UA needs to get the correct chairs that wont damage the bleachers and start making some money.