Dear Band Director

UAZip0510

@ZippyTubaI think the undeniable fact that comes from your videos is this: The band never stops playing. Now, Idunno if this is true since I couldn't hear everything that was being played during pregame (too much announcer), but it seemed liked the band stopped playing for announcer intros. just my $.02

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ZippyTubaI think the undeniable fact that comes from your videos is this: The band never stops playing. Now, Idunno if this is true since I couldn't hear everything that was being played during pregame (too much announcer), but it seemed liked the band stopped playing for announcer intros. just my $.02
The only stops were for the alma mater/national anthem so people can stand, and a for literally 3 seconds between the Hey Song and win for akron to set the new tempo.

1) Ejcool you don't know what you are talking about- even though you somehow spelled everything correctly2) To everyone else, you should start actually watching the band, and not making preconceived judgments about the band without paying attention. They made a lot of changes to their game day routines/performances this year so make sure to check them out this weekend when the Zips play Indiana. {unnecessary personal comment deleted: MODS}
Unfortunately for you I do know how to spell, and being a music major I'm pretty sure I do. (even tho you already knew that cause you know who I am) I not saying it's perfect, but energy was there. I felt it, and plenty other people told me the same thing.

1) Ejcool you don't know what you are talking about- even though you somehow spelled everything correctly2) To everyone else, you should start actually watching the band, and not making preconceived judgments about the band without paying attention. They made a lot of changes to their game day routines/performances this year so make sure to check them out this weekend when the Zips play Indiana. {unnecessary personal comment deleted: MODS}
I was paying attention, and have been for the last 9 years...it was a boring routine...sorry, just being honest.

Sounds like the student section (who, in great fashion, went nuts for just about everything Saturday) was cheering like crazy while the rest of the stadium gave average applause. Maybe I'm wrong, and others can correct me if I am...I just didn't think there was much of a reaction for the band aside from the student sections (who, again, cheered like crazy for everything Saturday).

Sounds like the student section (who, in great fashion, went nuts for just about everything Saturday) was cheering like crazy while the rest of the stadium gave average applause. Maybe I'm wrong, and others can correct me if I am...I just didn't think there was much of a reaction for the band aside from the student sections (who, again, cheered like crazy for everything Saturday).
The disparity between sections cheering was there all day.They way the band got into the A was great. I remember watching, thinking WTF are they doing--then POW, the A formed perfectly.I still question the music selection too. Temptation sounds great, but still, makes no sense. Eat 'em up and Lets Go Zips cheers have been in a while, and are good fillers, but there needs to be something else. Even if it is just a cadence. Heck, OSU does that stupid french cadence for most of their run-on, but it is really energetic and is able to fill a lot of time for them, to make the tunes even bigger moments.Run-on needs something unique, and I cite examples in my previous post for different ways to make run-on work. You need something to get the crowd's attention, and that doesn't do it.

So I hear a huge uproar from the student section on the video when the drum major comes sprinting out, and another loud cheer when we play the last chord of the fanfare, and yet another when we nail the block A, and they're yelling all the chants and singing the words to the fight song. Call me crazy, but could it actually be because they like pregame or is that just me overthinking it? Maybe the solution to the "lack of energy" is the whole stadium should learn the words to the fight song and join in on the cheers instead of just sitting there taking in the sights, not have the band completely change a pregame that people obviously like.

So I hear a huge uproar from the student section on the video when the drum major comes sprinting out, and another loud cheer when we play the last chord of the fanfare, and yet another when we nail the block A, and they're yelling all the chants and singing the words to the fight song. Call me crazy, but could it actually be because they like pregame or is that just me overthinking it? Maybe the solution to the "lack of energy" is the whole stadium should learn the words to the fight song and join in on the cheers instead of just sitting there taking in the sights, not have the band completely change a pregame that people obviously like.
thats precisely what pregame was missing. If the entire stadium knew what was going on, 1) the announcer wouldnt have to talk so much, and 2) it would carry more energy.

thats precisely what pregame was missing. If the entire stadium knew what was going on, 1) the announcer wouldnt have to talk so much, and 2) it would carry more energy.
So what's the solution? Have the announcer stop talking so people can hear, or just give it time for everyone to catch on to the sequence? If the student section could tell it was the Let's Go Zips cheer from the opposite end of the field then it makes me think that people just weren't paying attention/participating.

To those of you who said the band is "lacking energy" or "needs more energy", I want you to tell me what you mean by that. You throw this word "energy" around to make it seem to everyone else that you know what you are talking about. I don't just mean a general sense either, I want a definition. Also to the one who gave suggestions to make the band better, you have no clue what you are talking about. First of all, a "horn hit" doesn't exist so that is of no help. That's alright though, I didn't expect you to know anything. Second of all, picking the feet up higher is not a solution either. A person's feet can only go so high. Now if you mean that their marching needs improvement, then yes you are right and I am pretty sure they know that as well. But unfortunately that was not what you are talking about...surprise surprise. Third of all, playing louder is again not a solution. Maybe a solution for you is thinking harder, but let's not push your boundaries. Even though this is college Music Education is taking place. What? Education in band? It's alright, I know you know nothing about education. Marching Band should be a Concert Band with uniforms that moves. The sounds coming from the ensemble should be of that nature. A Concert Band does not blast its brains out, nor should a Marching Band. Playing as an ensemble, and playing in tune are the solutions to that problem. The education aspect of a Marching Band at any level should not be sacrificed for Joe Blow, who was probably drunk, in the stands who knows nothing about Marching Band, or Music Education. If you want to hear a band play loud go see a Hudson football game and listen to the band since you think high school bands are better than Ohio's Pride. If you think we should sound like Hudson then that is exactly why your opinions mean nothing. If you want it to be like the 90's, then watch the videos over and over again. It is not the 90's, this is 2009 and let's focus on the band this year. You people want the band to appeal to the crowd more, and the fact is they already appeal to the crowd. In my opinion they shouldn't appeal to the crowd at all because you people are clueless. The director wrote music to the cheers the Rowdies do to appeal to the crowd. I bet you want us to play some Kanye West, or Eminem or something along those lines. First of all most of the "music" nowadays is not music because there is no melody. It is a form of art and expression and that is it. But I digress. Clearly all of you not in the band have given some great suggestions, and you will see a new band come next game. The next game there will be suggestion boxes all over the stadium where your timeless thoughts will be read and given to Hellen Waite. Or you can go to Hellen Waite to give your suggestions in person. When the time comes that you know what you are talking about, which will be never, then we should have this conversation again. Here is a suggestion: to whoever was throwing things at the band, should stop and get a life or drink less. If it was a fan from the opposition thank you loyal Zips fans for standing up for the band. You people want the band to do things for you, but until you do something for the band your suggestions mean nothing. Maybe you should stand up for the band instead of criticizing something you know nothing about. Oh and the next time you go to see Can't State's band you should stay there and be a waste of space on their campus, not ours.

To those of you who said the band is "lacking energy" or "needs more energy", I want you to tell me what you mean by that. You throw this word "energy" around to make it seem to everyone else that you know what you are talking about. I don't just mean a general sense either, I want a definition. Also to the one who gave suggestions to make the band better, you have no clue what you are talking about. First of all, a "horn hit" doesn't exist so that is of no help. That's alright though, I didn't expect you to know anything. Second of all, picking the feet up higher is not a solution either. A person's feet can only go so high. Now if you mean that their marching needs improvement, then yes you are right and I am pretty sure they know that as well. But unfortunately that was not what you are talking about...surprise surprise. Third of all, playing louder is again not a solution. Maybe a solution for you is thinking harder, but let's not push your boundaries. Even though this is college Music Education is taking place. What? Education in band? It's alright, I know you know nothing about education. Marching Band should be a Concert Band with uniforms that moves. The sounds coming from the ensemble should be of that nature. A Concert Band does not blast its brains out, nor should a Marching Band. Playing as an ensemble, and playing in tune are the solutions to that problem. The education aspect of a Marching Band at any level should not be sacrificed for Joe Blow, who was probably drunk, in the stands who knows nothing about Marching Band, or Music Education. If you want to hear a band play loud go see a Hudson football game and listen to the band since you think high school bands are better than Ohio's Pride. If you think we should sound like Hudson then that is exactly why your opinions mean nothing. If you want it to be like the 90's, then watch the videos over and over again. It is not the 90's, this is 2009 and let's focus on the band this year. You people want the band to appeal to the crowd more, and the fact is they already appeal to the crowd. In my opinion they shouldn't appeal to the crowd at all because you people are clueless. The director wrote music to the cheers the Rowdies do to appeal to the crowd. I bet you want us to play some Kanye West, or Eminem or something along those lines. First of all most of the "music" nowadays is not music because there is no melody. It is a form of art and expression and that is it. But I digress. Clearly all of you not in the band have given some great suggestions, and you will see a new band come next game. The next game there will be suggestion boxes all over the stadium where your timeless thoughts will be read and given to Hellen Waite. Or you can go to Hellen Waite to give your suggestions in person. When the time comes that you know what you are talking about, which will be never, then we should have this conversation again. Here is a suggestion: to whoever was throwing things at the band, should stop and get a life or drink less. If it was a fan from the opposition thank you loyal Zips fans for standing up for the band. You people want the band to do things for you, but until you do something for the band your suggestions mean nothing. Maybe you should stand up for the band instead of criticizing something you know nothing about. Oh and the next time you go to see Can't State's band you should stay there and be a waste of space on their campus, not ours.
And here's where the topic starts it's quick downward spiral. Any hope I had of getting suggestions or ideas is all but gone. Dude, I don't know who you are, if you're in the band or what, but this post is a bad, bad, idea...

to be fair, I was sitting near a group of either music majors, music groupies, or former band members. I overheard them talking about Karricker (sp?) and some talk about practicing etc. However, the student section I was in did jump right in when they started the cheers and chants so... I don't know...

So what's the solution? Have the announcer stop talking so people can hear, or just give it time for everyone to catch on to the sequence? If the student section could tell it was the Let's Go Zips cheer from the opposite end of the field then it makes me think that people just weren't paying attention/participating.
Good point. I never thought of that. I still feel there were a lot of fans there who didn't know what to say or were too awestruck by the stadium to notice.What is the solution, you ask? I dont know if I have a single solution at all. My personal vote is to keep the show the way it is for this season; Let it be and go from there. We are making these suggestions after 1 performance and that's not a fair way to asses the band. They are as new at this pregame show experience as all the fans there were, so let's see how things progress over the next 2 games before we say that there are any issues with the band's performance. I do think it will take time for some of the fans to learn the progression of the pregame show before they were be fully participating. The only reason I knew what was going on was because of the youtube videos of the pregame show that was done in the fieldhouse. The fans will catch on... just give them time.

Band was great just needs more people! I was disappointed to see the rows of bleachers empty in their section. Maybe if everyone spread out more they could fill it?
We could definately fill it. At the Rubber Bowl we used over twice as many seats as we did Saturday but we were way too spread out. Athletics asked us to pack in there so students could sit at the back of the band, the obvious problem is that you can't see past the tubas! I'll ask around and see what's up. Good suggestion!

...oh and I forgot to mention I wasn't really feelin' the whole "where the zips are gonna win" echo... its just too much in my opinionIt would be cooler to hear the fans yell "our house" and have the band play the echo. Actually I like that a lot!I don't have it backwards right?and in conclusion, yes, more members would be nice. The more sound the better!edit: I use the term echo loosely ;)

Being a former band member I feel compelled to weigh in.Yes, the band part of Saturday's experience was lacking. I can't pinpoint what it was, but it wasn't the kind of performance I was expecting with Karriker back (I was in this group during the previous incarnation of Cajun rule and was really looking forward to his comeback).I know it has been suggested the opposite way here, but bring the flip folders back. I personally don't give two shits if the music is memorized or not so long as there is energy behind it. My experience always was the trying to memorize left me focusing more on trying to remember individual notes as well as my marching assignments and hindered my efforts to put some extra energy into the performance. Lose the announcer. The only thing the announcer should really every say is, "please rise for the playing of the alma mater/national anthem." I know our fanbase still isn't at the point yet where they instinctively know when to cheer and whatnot, but there are enough people around that do know what to do that the idea can get across. Having the announcer talking the entire way through "Let's go Zips" or "Win for Akron" or any other cheer related song is unnecessary and detracts from the real purpose of the song. If you really want to remind people of the cheer have it posted on the Video Board and the Ribbon Board.I don't know if it is possible, but thinking on how to improve the entrance to pre-game here. Would it be possible to stage the band on the sidelines as opposed to in the tunnel? What I'm thinking is have the drums and tubas in the endzone underneath the scoreboard. Half the band on the east sideline and half the band on the west sideline. The drums and tubas do a march out similar to what was done at the Rubber Bowl. Then once they are on the field the rest of the band does the run on followed by the fanfare/fight song and on through pre-game.The halftime music still needs a big upgrade in terms of song selection. I've always had a problem with the fact that we try to do so many medely's. Instead of trying to cram three or four songs into one routine how about we do one really popular, well known song start to finish. I think people start to get confused when they recognize the start of a song and start getting into it, then 20 seconds later we are on to another song. Just some suggestions.

some people just have to complain.... everything was fine.... problem was the fans in the WEST reserved seats weren't paying attention at all. I was the only one in my area doing the "Hey UA".... most fans were just drinking in the sights and sounds of the new stadium....they were turning to each other all pre-game and saying "wow, this is much more than I thought it would be!" After a couple more games they'll be more into it.....

ziprowdy, for the record, I am a music student, and have marched in several different bands, including Akron's Marching Band, as well as other concert bands. Your post just shows a general lack of caring for what the audience wants. I have commented for years about how the marching band here can continue to sell something nobody really wants. Is the band playing to entertain itself, or the audience? I have my own personal tastes, though I know they will never be implemented. e.g. I think the band should be all brass, as it is a way to make a 100 piece band sound like a 200 piece band. The reason the East side wasn't into it, was because it was really hard to tell what was going on. But that is just what is going to happen when you have the band playing to the other side of the field. The band will sound a lot louder when the day comes that the endzones become enclosed. Right now, when they march down field, they are playing to practically wide open skies, and consequently, the sound production gets lost, no matter how loud they play.Obviously the "energy" appraisal isn't coming from just a small group. It is something I hear several people comment on, both musically and non-musically inclined. This is one of those things that just separates the cream. It's not so much a matter of playing louder. A band of that instrumentation simply can't get that much louder. It's a visual thing. Personally, I think a lot can be solved by building up more suspense in the run-on. Send the drums out on the field first, while the band stays behind in the tunnel. When the drums are set, play a raucous fanfare to get everybody's attention. Then bust of out of tunnel and take the field like you mean real business. I think the rest then takes care of itself.And seriously, lose the announcer. He only made things worse.

I was in the band '97-'03 here, I do have some thoughts on this topic (with concrete suggestions for improvements!) . I was sitting in section 202 - not quite as far away from the band as is possible, but still quite a distance. I was not impressed at all with the acoustics from the field to the stadium seats - I could barely hear the band most of the time. Looks like this stadium was built to funnel noise down the field, not for noise on the field to make it up to the stands. I can only imagine how much worse it was for GA. Not much can be done about that, except to work on horn angle. There was a lot of horizontal or lower facing horns, these absolutely need to be angled up - more in this stadium then you ever had to do in the Rubber Bowl.Phil has been a fantastic announcer for over 20 years for our marching band, but it appears that his time has passed. His voice can certainly carry, but he sounds bored and blase when announcing the cheers. Get the guy they had announcing in the rubber bowl at the end of last season if the band feels they need announcers - somebody young with incredibly high energy. An individual like that can really get the crowd fired up. Phil is classy, but we don't need classy - we need 'in your face exciting'.I think the assertion that the crowd needs to see the whole band coming out of the tunnel with energy to be a fallacy. I would get more pumped up by an extended drum intro, building to a crescendo as the band runs from the sidelines onto the field. Picture this: The entire band is lined up around the sidelines, single file so we cover most of the field. Drums (and possibly tubas) set up on the field, marching on from the end zone to a slow beat. A very excited announcer builds up the introduction as the drums increase the tempo (with the band possibly doing cheers from the sideline) leading up the moment where all the band members rush the field from the sideline at once, run-on step into squads, then into their formation. As SOON as everyone is in place, you snap around and play the fanfare. The announcer has already made the introductions, so this should be possible (although wind sprints may be necessary to guarantee you have the breath support). The crowd goes wild!I rarely heard a stand cheer during the football game, I chalk it up to how far away from the band I was sitting, and one of the casualties of finally having a full stadium! If horn angle or positioning can fix that, great. Otherwise, I'll have to make sure to get tickets in a different section next year. Keep up the hard work and the recruiting - on alumni band Oct 10th, we should come up with ZNO badges to finally meet in person all the folks who post on the boards here!

Sitting in the General Admission seats was a big mistake for me. I have never seen a group of people so unexcited to be at a football game. Not a lot of cheering for anything. I was one of few in my section that jumped up every time the team scored a touchdown and I had to start the clap with the fight song because no one else was. I will never make the mistake of buying those tickets again. I was also extremely disappointed at the lack of respect that the crowd had for OUR fight song. When the band announcer (which I have never liked) said "The nation's best fight song" some guy behind me said "Ohio State!" Akron's fight song may not be the greatest fight song, but it is unique and I guarantee it isn't overplayed thousands of times every Friday night by high school bands. I am a band director and both schools in which I have taught use Across the Field. I hope my next school is a little more creative in their slection. How can we build any traditions if people constantly compare the band to OSU? There are not a lot of direct references, but I know it is what every Ohio fan uses to "set the bar." Sometimes I wish people would be more open to looking outside of their comfort levels and realize that there are a lot of bands in this country that are a lot better than OSU. Why are they so well loved? Because they do the same thing every year and people have learned in the past like 50 years exactly what is going to happen. We don't have the luxury of having a band director stay on for 30 years as they do. We don't have the financial support to compete with them either. We have to be Akron and try to create some traditions. Yet, every time Mr. Karriker tries to change things up, people find some faults.I thought pregame was great, it was new and refreshing. I liked seeing the old Moffitt style squad drill, as perfected by Michigan State's band. I could hear pregame from GA a lot better than I heard halftime, but I have hearing loss....and I could still hear the band. Was the "energy" lacking for halftime? Yes, in my opinion, but I don't know what is expected to change that. Was the music selection poor? Yeah, probably not the best. I think that he had good intentions with the "Celebration" theme, but the song selections didn't support the theme. I wonder whether or not the same people that question Akron's music selection also question OSU's selection? Their halftime shows are even worse in terms of selection, they just have a better reputation. What people don't realize is that the musical abilities of the students in the Akron Band are comparable to OSU, but they have a lot more people to choose from and they can do just that....pick and choose the best of the crop.I think that it would be helpful for people that have legitimate suggestions to contact the people in charge of the band. Suggestions....not complaints. There are only so many changes that can be made at a time. Personal preference reigns supreme on this issue, which is why it will always be an issue. Would I personally like to see OSU change what they do? Yes, but my opinion will differ with many, many people. I think that traditions become tired and redundant after so long.Well this post is completely unorganized, I apologize for that. Hopefully it will give you something to think about though. Go Zips!