Dear Band Director

UAZip0510

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

OU band is at it again. Bobcats get Sport Illustrated Extra Mustard's Band of the Day.

While I'm not a band guy, I'll give them some video credit for the multiple cameras used.

Marching Band Video Of The Day

Last week, we posted Ylvis’ The Fox, a bizarre video and song that went viral to the tune of 31 million views.

The Ohio Bobcats band got in on the action at Saturday’s game against Marshall.

OU band is at it again. Bobcats get Sport Illustrated Extra Mustard's Band of the Day.

While I'm not a band guy, I'll give them some video credit for the multiple cameras used.

Marching Band Video Of The Day

Last week, we posted Ylvis’ The Fox, a bizarre video and song that went viral to the tune of 31 million views.

The Ohio Bobcats band got in on the action at Saturday’s game against Marshall.

I mostly love OU's band, but I think this is a bit stupid. The dancing affects the sound quality for this show, which they normally handle better. I know it doesn't matter, they made SI, etc. but this seems sloppy for what is normally the most entertaining marching band in the state.

Also, since when did meme songs become the subject for so many marching band shows? Gangnam Style was one thing, but come on...

Props to OU's band once again. They seem to be the opposite of our band..... they have fun, play interesting music and do more than stiff, geometric marching. Our band has been pretty dull for a long time. They have no traditions that connect with the crowd, OK, the 100 people in the stadium. Get some life guys! Find something that engages the crowd and keep giving it to them. You are on a college campus for God's sake! Find a director that allows you to have fun!

Props to OU's band once again. They seem to be the opposite of our band..... they have fun, play interesting music and do more than stiff, geometric marching. Our band has been pretty dull for a long time. They have no traditions that connect with the crowd, OK, the 100 people in the stadium. Get some life guys! Find something that engages the crowd and keep giving it to them. You are on a college campus for God's sake! Find a director that allows you to have fun!

Don't bad-mouth the band if you have no idea what you're talking about (which is something you make very apparent).

Not every band is willing to dance and do all that OU does to get a crowd. There's a certain tradition with marching bands and I don't Ohio's Pride should be shamed for attempting to preserve a more traditional approach. I enjoy aspects of both, but one is not better than the other.

If anything, I think UA's band members need to be more disciplined and quit playing generic 'latino rock' shows. They have a great director in Galen Karriker.

Don't bad-mouth the band if you have no idea what you're talking about (which is something you make very apparent).

Not every band is willing to dance and do all that OU does to get a crowd. There's a certain tradition with marching bands and I don't Ohio's Pride should be shamed for attempting to preserve a more traditional approach. I enjoy aspects of both, but one is not better than the other.

If anything, I think UA's band members need to be more disciplined and quit playing generic 'latino rock' shows. They have a great director in Galen Karriker.

Thumbs Up!

If people have suggestions for show/music ideas - share them...

With regards to not having a band, and using pre-recorded music during a football game, would much rather a real band playing the fight song vs. current RAP, Top 40 hits... That's not what football experience is about.

Zesty, are you having a bad day today? Or perhaps I hit too close to home in calling the band dull? When you attack back please be accurate. I never said our band had to dance. I said stop being dull, have fun, show some life and connect with the crowd. What's wrong with that? You shame yourself by attacking rather than listening. The fact of the matter is that there is not one rival MAC school that has shown any respect for our band. They don't have to dance if you don't want that. Ohio State's band doesn't dance but they connect with the crowd thru their musicianship and lively performance. They have fun and it shows. Have you ever been to a skull session? After they come into St. John's they are so fired up they can't sit still. That energy is pretty cool.

Don't think that because someone disagrees with you the only response is to attack them. Save that for the K.E.N.T. board. We deserve a better halftime. Hope your day improves.

I know I am in the minority here, but I will say it again. I like our band and the Marching 110 gimmicks do nothing for me whatsoever. I also agree with zesty about Galen.

You are NOT in the minority Keener. Our band doesn't need a bunch of gimmicks and nonsense to put on a good show. Galen Karriker is about one of the most fired up guys I've ever met. :horse:

Zesty, are you having a bad day today? Or perhaps I hit too close to home in calling the band dull? When you attack back please be accurate. I never said our band had to dance. I said stop being dull, have fun, show some life and connect with the crowd. What's wrong with that? You shame yourself by attacking rather than listening. The fact of the matter is that there is not one rival MAC school that has shown any respect for our band. They don't have to dance if you don't want that. Ohio State's band doesn't dance but they connect with the crowd thru their musicianship and lively performance. They have fun and it shows. Have you ever been to a skull session? After they come into St. John's they are so fired up they can't sit still. That energy is pretty cool.

Don't think that because someone disagrees with you the only response is to attack them. Save that for the K.E.N.T. board. We deserve a better halftime. Hope your day improves.

Not attacking, just pointing out that by providing no real suggestions (other than "Hey! Copy something this other band does!"), you aren't really providing any constructive criticism.

Also, if you're going to bring OSU's marching band into this now (in addition to the Marching 110), please, just continue to talk loudly during halftime like most of the other yokels.