Zip's Cleaned House

zff

According to footballscoop.com the Zips have removed the Strength Coach Dan Bailey and Director of Football Operations Darryl Weston. This tells me they are close to hiring a coach. He must be bringing these positions with him.I can confirm the Bailey part. I was told this today before reading footballscoop.com.

According to footballscoop.com the Zips have removed the Strength Coach Dan Bailey and Director of Football Operations Darryl Weston. This tells me they are close to hiring a coach. He must be bringing these positions with him.
As of Sunday, Bailey was still employed by UA, that I know for a fact. His job is more than just the strength coach for the football team. Interesting rumor.

Dan Bailey is a great guy and an even better strength coach. I've always felt the University was lucky to have him, his qualifications and skill as a strength coach are excellent, and I know this first hand as an athlete that was developed under him. That man did more for my abilities as a football player and physical development as a football player than any position coach ever did or could have. If Tom took the step of removing him that shows me a lot about the stupidity of the man and I've lost a lot of confidence in his ability to hire a successful football coach. I'm hoping this isn't true.

Dan Bailey is a great guy and an even better strength coach. I've always felt the University was lucky to have him, his qualifications and skill as a strength coach are excellent, and I know this first hand as an athlete that was developed under him. That man did more for my abilities as a football player and physical development as a football player than any position coach ever did or could have. If Tom took the step of removing him that shows me a lot about the stupidity of the man and I've lost a lot of confidence in his ability to hire a successful football coach. I'm hoping this isn't true.
Not that you're biased by your personal relationship with the guy or anything.......

According to footballscoop.com the Zips have removed the Strength Coach Dan Bailey
Good. He may be the most amazing football strength and conditioning coach, but my only experience with him has been from the stand point that I am a lowly and unimportant athlete from one of those "non-revenue" sports and I should feel privileged that I was even allowed to set foot in his weight room. His staff did more harm than good to me.

For some reason, Dan wanted those of us on the shooting team to bulk up like the football players....I never understood that. I explained to him that I was looking for endurance and that we had very expensive fitted outfits and we can't just go pack on 20 lbs of muscle. He didn't push this approach however and was happy to just answer our questions and tolerate us while we were in the weight room. He's been there a while.

According to footballscoop.com the Zips have removed the Strength Coach Dan Bailey and Director of Football Operations Darryl Weston. This tells me they are close to hiring a coach. He must be bringing these positions with him.I can confirm the Bailey part. I was told this today before reading footballscoop.com.
There's no new coach making these decisions, the entire staff was let go at once, including Bailey. They have until Friday to be out and return their cars (so I've heard).I think this season speaks for itself as far as strength and conditioning goes. Granted, some of the injuries probably couldn't be helped with all the conditioning in the world, but something's gotta give. Rifle guys, I also have heard complaints about the weight room staff from some of the non-revenue sports. Apparently they do a hack job of developing a sport specific workout program, you are not alone.

According to footballscoop.com the Zips have removed the Strength Coach Dan Bailey
Good. He may be the most amazing football strength and conditioning coach, but my only experience with him has been from the stand point that I am a lowly and unimportant athlete from one of those "non-revenue" sports and I should feel privileged that I was even allowed to set foot in his weight room. His staff did more harm than good to me.
Well... you were privileged to be using that facility. Believe me those who donated to get that thing built didn't do it for the rifle team. The bottom line is the strength and conditioning staff's primary responsibilities are to the football, basketball, baseball and softball, Track and Field, and soccer teams. When I was at Akron, Dan Bailey handled the football and baseball teams and another coach was responsible for basketball with Bailey overseeing it. If you can find ONE football player who has trained under Bailey that didn't think he did an outstanding job, any of you might have a point. I guarantee you Dan Bailey was not the problem this year. One thing I heard from some of my teammates who were still around for the early Brookhart years was that JD came in and made Bailey change a lot of what he was doing, and the result was not positive. Guys in the Brookhart era were smaller and more easily injured, and that was a direct result of changes JD ordered. The Owens years might not have had the most talented guys, but do you remember those offensive lines we used to have that would absolutely MAUL you? Guys like Piccirillo, Jud Cummins, Mike Brake, and the like? Those were a direct result of Dan Bailey Stength Conditioning back when he was allowed to do it his way. Walk-ons like Ryan Myers were developed into NFL players. Guys like Chase Blackburn came into the program at 200 pounds and left looking like the incredible hulk, and they would all credit that to Dan Bailey. We never saw guys develop like that under JD, and its because he made Bailey tone down a lot of what he was doing and changed a lot of the summer program and schedules, which really put a clamp on what Bailey could do. He's as much a victim of JD's incompetence as his players were.

Not that you're biased by your personal relationship with the guy or anything.......
I'm very biased by my personal relationship, which means that unlike anyone else (that I know of) commenting on this forum, I actually know first hand what kind of strength coach the guy is. The Zips problems were not a result of Dan Bailey. In fact, any amount of success that the Zips have had through the years can largely be credited to the man. The number of "nobody recruits" to NFL players we've had has been uncommonly high during Bailey's time at UA (mostly through the Owens years) and that is a large credit to him and how he was able to develop players physically.

If Tom took the step of removing him that shows me a lot about the stupidity of the man and I've lost a lot of confidence in his ability to hire a successful football coach. I'm hoping this isn't true.
If you start out your thinking, like the Great GP1 does, that most people in athletics administration are stupid and deserving of little confidence, the fall isn't that bad when it happens. I don't have much confidence either, but I didn't have much to begin with given his nutty start with Reno.

Sorry fellas, but I have seen basically nothing to be excited about in the UA football program for a while now, except for the few shining beacons (Nicely, Wagner, Lemon, maybe a couple others) and have no problem with the ENTIRE staff being shown the door. They were all responsible at some level for the results on the field. If Bailey was victimized by JDB, that's too bad. I find it interesting though that there have been several supposed insiders who have dropped bombs on ZN only AFTER the entire program had to be blown up by Luis and Tom. That either means you guys were sandbagging for the last several years, in which case thanks for NOTHING here, or you don't really know what the hell you're talking about. In the end, as a fan, I know what I've seen on the field and it sucked. It was time to drop the A-bomb on the whole thing.

Well... you were privileged to be using that facility. Believe me those who donated to get that thing built didn't do it for the rifle team. The bottom line is the strength and conditioning staff's primary responsibilities are to the football, basketball, baseball and softball, Track and Field, and soccer teams. When I was at Akron, Dan Bailey handled the football and baseball teams and another coach was responsible for basketball with Bailey overseeing it. If you can find ONE football player who has trained under Bailey that didn't think he did an outstanding job, any of you might have a point. I guarantee you Dan Bailey was not the problem this year. One thing I heard from some of my teammates who were still around for the early Brookhart years was that JD came in and made Bailey change a lot of what he was doing, and the result was not positive. Guys in the Brookhart era were smaller and more easily injured, and that was a direct result of changes JD ordered. The Owens years might not have had the most talented guys, but do you remember those offensive lines we used to have that would absolutely MAUL you? Guys like Piccirillo, Jud Cummins, Mike Brake, and the like? Those were a direct result of Dan Bailey Stength Conditioning back when he was allowed to do it his way. Walk-ons like Ryan Myers were developed into NFL players. Guys like Chase Blackburn came into the program at 200 pounds and left looking like the incredible hulk, and they would all credit that to Dan Bailey. We never saw guys develop like that under JD, and its because he made Bailey tone down a lot of what he was doing and changed a lot of the summer program and schedules, which really put a clamp on what Bailey could do. He's as much a victim of JD's incompetence as his players were.
The weight room is the varsity weight room, not the football-basketball-baseball-softball-track-soccer weight room. The fact that you share such a narrow view of which teams should benefit from which school resources only proves my point. I mean, the only team who's brought home more national titles than the rifle team is track... yet let's just piss all over the little guys. Besides, I'm not just campaigning for rifle, but golf, tennis, swimming, and even volleyball. Every team should have access to good trainers and be given a workout program tailored for the necessities of their sport.

The weight room is the varsity weight room, not the football-basketball-baseball-softball-track-soccer weight room. The fact that you share such a narrow view of which teams should benefit from which school resources only proves my point. I mean, the only team who's brought home more national titles than the rifle team is track... yet let's just piss all over the little guys. Besides, I'm not just campaigning for rifle, but golf, tennis, swimming, and even volleyball. Every team should have access to good trainers and be given a workout program tailored for the necessities of their sport.
Not to mention that those "non-revenue" sports have a plethora of non-scholarship athletes. Meaning the "non-revenue" sports are actually paying for that weight room and any scholarship athletes that are in that weight room.

Good points rifle. I agree, and if Bailey was setting an ugly tone for other-than football and basketball players, then shame on him and good riddance.

I didnt think they let the whole strength and conditioning staff go, at least to my knowledge.I also, was a non-revenue sport athlete who trained four years in that weight room. I had a lot of positives with it. Yes, Dan Bailey worked with us for a short time and for a few workouts was really interested in helping us, until football began to take priority. I realize that was his job, though. We actually got a lot of help from Tim Campbell and Brian Rogers. Brian developed a great program for us that was very sport specific. While he was our strength coach I think we made a lot of progress.I had heard that Coach Bailey had an idea that if JD was fired that he would be too. He had a feeling that they were going to get rid of him to allow the new football coach to bring in someone new. Coach Bailey did do a great job from what I understand, and the weight room always ran smoothly. He was a nice guy and IMO didn't really deserve it. But, I can understand why he was let go.

Bullseye.