PA H-Back Nick Rossi Commit

I'd like to see him play a whole game instead of the YouTube videos they put up. From what I see he looks like a good player. I'd like to see how he plays against a good team and a really fast running back.

One thing about these videos is how unorganized many high school teams are. He is clearly the best player on that defense and the number of times he is unaccounted for is amazing.

I'd like to see him play a whole game instead of the YouTube videos they put up. From what I see he looks like a good player. I'd like to see how he plays against a good team and a really fast running back.

One thing about these videos is how unorganized many high school teams are. He is clearly the best player on that defense and the number of times he is unaccounted for is amazing.

The video is also from his Soph. season!? He looks like a good one.

nick plays in lackawanna football conf. in ne pa - the same league joe tuzze played in - nick plays for riverside vikings,taylor,pa. - joe played for lakeland chiefs - the utube video you have posted is nicks soph yr. 2008 their team went 13-1 he lead the team in tackles the past two seasons. he has been recruited on both sides of the ball - a very versatile tough player. zips are getting a very good one here.

The new facilities seem to be paying dividends. This is the type of player we would've never gotten 5 years ago. Offers from BCS schools with more certainly to follow, and this kid isn't one of the highly rated THUGS we saw in the early Brookhart years that will never see the field. I just hope Pitt or Cinci don't come along and talk this kid out of his commitment with chatter about their ability to play for a national championship and all that jazz. That's a common pitch from BCS schools when they're recruting against MAC schools for a kid, but what the kid needs to realize is that you have about the same chance of playing for a national championship at places like Cinci and Pitt as you do at Akron.... and that's zero. Great pickup and hopefully more of his caliber to follow.

Hiring the "recruiter" as opposed to the "X's and O's" guy as head coach could pay big dividends. You can hire assistants to be X's and O's guys, they're the ones that are really "coaching" anyways. A head coach can have next to nothing in terms of football knowledge, and if he's a good manager, a good speaker, a good leader of men, and a good recruiter, he can be a very successful head coach with the right assistants. The staff RI put together looks strong. Hopefully he can give them the talented players to coach that they need to win. This commitment looks like a good start.

The new facilities seem to be paying dividends. This is the type of player we would've never gotten 5 years ago. Offers from BCS schools with more certainly to follow, and this kid isn't one of the highly rated THUGS we saw in the early Brookhart years that will never see the field. I just hope Pitt or Cinci don't come along and talk this kid out of his commitment with chatter about their ability to play for a national championship and all that jazz. That's a common pitch from BCS schools when they're recruting against MAC schools for a kid, but what the kid needs to realize is that you have about the same chance of playing for a national championship at places like Cinci and Pitt as you do at Akron.... and that's zero. Great pickup and hopefully more of his caliber to follow.

Hiring the "recruiter" as opposed to the "X's and O's" guy as head coach could pay big dividends. You can hire assistants to be X's and O's guys, they're the ones that are really "coaching" anyways. A head coach can have next to nothing in terms of football knowledge, and if he's a good manager, a good speaker, a good leader of men, and a good recruiter, he can be a very successful head coach with the right assistants. The staff RI put together looks strong. Hopefully he can give them the talented players to coach that they need to win. This commitment looks like a good start.

I agree 100%. Just look at Penn State. When was the last time you have seen Joe Pa on the sideline with a headset on?

nick plays in lackawanna football conf. in ne pa - the same league joe tuzze played in - nick plays for riverside vikings,taylor,pa. - joe played for lakeland chiefs - the utube video you have posted is nicks soph yr. 2008 their team went 13-1 he lead the team in tackles the past two seasons. he has been recruited on both sides of the ball - a very versatile tough player. zips are getting a very good one here.

Thanks for the info. :wave: Do you know if he has a highlight video for his junior year as well?

post-5648-1281153812_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. :wave: Do you know if he has a highlight video for his junior year as well?

yes he does - keep checking I will try to get it and post - [attapost-5648-1281153374_thumb.jpgchment=560:NICK4.jpg]

Zips Get Huge Commitment

This story originally published on SuperPrep.com

By Matt Alkire

Recruiting Analyst

Date: Aug 7, 2010

The Akron Zips got a big steal this past week when they reeled in Taylor, Pa., native Nick Rossi, an excellent athlete that could play H-Back or linebacker at the collegiate level.

yes he does have a junior highlight, I will try to post - check back

post-5648-1281287610_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nick Rossi's Riverside lost the state championship to a Clairton team that has now won 31 straight games. Clairton had 10 shutouts this year and hadn't given up more than 1 TD in any other game until this one. I'll be very curious to see where he plays as Zip. I know he was recruited as an H-back, but I hope the staff keeps all options open. He was named the (Scranton) Times-Tribune Defensive POTY.

This my favorite quote:

“We know we’re going to be remembered,” the Akron-bound Riverside senior fullback and linebacker said. “We left an impression, but the outcome isn’t what we wanted and really that’s the bottom line.”

Gotta love that attitiude in a player :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...
Selected for the Big 33 Game

I always enjoy getting a summer preview of a future Zips star in this game (usually televised on STO, but I think it was on NFL Network last year). I think the last Zips RB to play in this game was Brandon Payne? :rock:

This is a very good development. I'm still dissappointed in Georgio Bowers' transfer, but maybe Nick Rossi will come in here next year and earn the starting job? We're awfully thin @ the RB position right now. (Or H-back, whatever. I still don't know what that is.)

Selected for the Big 33 Game

I always enjoy getting a summer preview of a future Zips star in this game (usually televised on STO, but I think it was on NFL Network last year). I think the last Zips RB to play in this game was Brandon Payne? :rock:

This is a very good development. I'm still dissappointed in Georgio Bowers' transfer, but maybe Nick Rossi will come in here next year and earn the starting job? We're awfully thin @ the RB position right now. (Or H-back, whatever. I still don't know what that is.)

The H-back position is a hybrid of the FB and TE positions. So basically a very athletic power RB. Makes me excited to think we even have someone capable of playing such a position.

It's the guy you give it to when you absolutely must get a first down in short yardage.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the videos a couple of things stand out:

I LOVE his energy.

GREAT athleticism

NOW, if this guy does not play LB we are getting the short end of the stick. This guy is from the Lawrence Taylor mold (without the DWIs and all that I hope). An absolutely super ATHLETE who makes sure tackles, has great pursuit, and most of all has FOOTBALL SMARTS. The way, in some of the videos, that he shoves blockers out of the way and gets to the ball carrier Those are Pro moves.

This is a guy who can make a difference this year.