Second round of conference expansion is beginning.

Bleacher Report has the Zips in line for a conference change. link

I hate Bleacher Report.

Everything there is sort of tongue-in-cheek (not necessarily this one), and very poorly researched. All rivalry aside, I'm not sure how you could leave K-ent off that list. They've been more miserable than us the last few decades.

Tell me about. Any list like this that does not include Can't State can only be viewed as per crap!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Bleacher Report.

Everything there is sort of tongue-in-cheek (not necessarily this one), and very poorly researched. All rivalry aside, I'm not sure how you could leave K-ent off that list. They've been more miserable than us the last few decades.

Tell me about. Any list like this that does not include Can't State can only be viewed as per crap!

The article was holding some cred with me until I saw SanDiego St and Vanderbilt. Two schools that do not need to drop down but switch conferences within FBS. SDSU would be better served in the WAC and Vandy anywhere but the SEC, especially for football.

A 12 year year old using his Mom's computer can write for Bleacher Report. There are good writers there but also alot of uniformed or agenda ladened idiots writing articles there too.

I agree. Bleacher Report is like a gossip column for dudes. Everyday they crank out article-after-article, most of which are crappola, just for the sake of entertaining bored readers. Absolutely nothing on Bleacher Report can't be taken seriously at all.

With this, BYU loses their WAC scheduling arrangement and have made enemies of both local conferences (MWC and WAC). They're going to have to rely on scheduling PAC-10 and Big 12 teams, or else travel much farther than they might like.

I think Tom Wistrcill (or maybe Jon Steinbrecher) needs to get on the phone and cook up a scheduling arrangement. The LDS has a relatively strong presence in the MAC footprint that BYU might want to connect with.

Not to mention the final piece... Utah State. BYU left them hanging big time and they are still considering the MWC. Now they've ticked off two conferences and their entire state. I wouldn't look for any "favors" from the Utes either.....

source

I can't comprehend how Utah State was going to the Mountain West. No one has heard of their football team since Merlin Olsen strapped up the ol' leather.

And frankly, I think all this movement just predates the point at which the BCS will form their own division, and leave everyone else in the dust. The point of this MIGHT be to determine who will be IN the BCS when it throws the rest under the wheels. I think BYU's chances were better in the MWC, as a couple more BCS bowls from it would increase the probability of the entire conference moving up --- or at least the schools that make BCS bowl games consistently. Independence will make it tougher -- not easier, for BYU to get into a BCS bowl game.

And, as for the Sunday article in the Honolulu paper goes, Carl Benson is history's greatest evidence of the Peter Principle at work. He has to be the worst administrator in American history. Only a league as brain dead as the WAC would have failed to fire him years ago. I'm looking forward to the Rainbow Warrior's future rivalries with Portland State and Humboldt State. Go Bows. Beat those (HSU) Jacks! :rolleyes:

And, as for the Sunday article in the Honolulu paper goes, Carl Benson is history's greatest evidence of the Peter Principle at work. He has to be the worst administrator in American history. Only a league as brain dead as the WAC would have failed to fire him years ago. I'm looking forward to the Rainbow Warrior's future rivalries with Portland State and Humboldt State. Go Bows. Beat those (HSU) Jacks! :rolleyes:

Only a group of religious zealots that think they are saints on earth could think like the BYU administrators.

• 3 weeks later...

if temple leaves after two years that would get the mac down to 12 members.problem solved.

unless you can get two teams to join at once it makes no sense.unless they are good at b-ball,or football what is the

point of adding more members.the one thing we have going for us is a #1 soccer team.i know soccer is not that big

but a conference would be happy with any school that brings a #1 team.our basketball program has been decent also.

i know we could compete in c-use in b-ball.i could see mac teams leaving for c-usa if the chance is open.

My guess would be Western Kentucky and MAYBE Army (football only).

Personally, I think expansion would be good. I understand it would not reel in greatness, but say the MAC goes to 14 schools, we start to move away from having 1/2 our conference teams in Ohio.

In addition, IF CUSA does ever come calling for 2-3 MAC schools, better to have 14 dropping to 12 vs. having 12, dropping to 10 and then SCRAMBLING to find 2 schools. Some may want 10 schools, but you can forget about that being a desired path from any conference.

• 1 month later...
You either go south, or you go east. Another possible trio of expansion candidates is UMass, Stony Brook, and James Madison.

WKU and MTSU will never leave the Sun Belt.

Really? For all practical purposes they just got there. No certainty in that .. the MAC screwed that one up a few years ago .. may have been able to have them as a package deal.

Those 2 make the most sense for the MAC. Especially for hoops.

Big East rumblings

Villanova must still be mulling over their standing offer to upgrade to FCS. UCF and TCU seem to be the favorites.

Big Sky adds Southern Utah, North Dakota, and possibly South Dakota

It's weird that the 4 Dakota schools will now be "paired" in the Big Sky and the Missouri Valley. Maybe this is a preemptive move in case Montana bolts for the WAC.