Syracuse Predictions

psc2009

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as you guys being able to stop the run, I can't speak much to that because I don't know what you've added since last season. BUT, hopefully you added something...
"We" did. We added another defensive lineman. The Cuse will not get the advantage of pushing around 5 little defensive backs this year. They will have to deal with the 4-3 instead of the easy to run on 3-3-5. Good luck. :wave:

How's your coverage in the secondary?

As far as you guys being able to stop the run, I can't speak much to that because I don't know what you've added since last season. BUT, hopefully you added something...
"We" did. We added another defensive lineman. The Cuse will not get the advantage of pushing around 5 little defensive backs this year. They will have to deal with the 4-3 instead of the easy to run on 3-3-5. Good luck. :wave:

How's your coverage in the secondary?

Much better than previous years, not that it's been hard to get better at different positions... Mike Holmes was moved from safety to corner this year, and actually here, easier to just find a link to our depth chart and it happens to have a good breakdown by Sean over at TNIAAM. He also has a write-up on how many things SU and Akron have in common, some weird stuff lol

More discussion on the freshmen and other new faces who will play for the Orange on Saturday.

Link

Among the interesting quotes:

The true freshman running back is one of several new players to earn a spot in the starting lineup for the opener. Gulley is penciled in as the kick returner for the Orange, who open their 2010 campaign at 6 p.m. in Akron’s InfoCision Stadium.

In addition to playing a key role in his first game, the 5-foot-9, 17-pounder will be performing in his hometown. Gulley attended Garfield High School in Akron, Ohio, blocks away from where he’ll play in his first collegiate game.

I'll just sit back and let Zipmeister conjure up something good for this.

Another Hofstra transfer, senior Jose Cruz, was named the starter at tight end over senior Nick Provo.

“He’s been by far the most improved player in camp,” Marrone said of the 6-5, 250-pound Cruz. “Every part of his game has improved.”

Ironically, Cruz was an Akron Zip for three years, playing two seasons, 2007 and 2008, before transferring to Hofstra in 2009. When that school dropped football, Cruz came to Syracuse.

Cruz ALWAYS had the talent. I'm sure he'd love to play well against the Zips.

More discussion on the freshmen and other new faces who will play for the Orange on Saturday.

Link

The true freshman running back is one of several new players to earn a spot in the starting lineup for the opener. Gulley is penciled in as the kick returner for the Orange, who open their 2010 campaign at 6 p.m. in Akron’s InfoCision Stadium.

In addition to playing a key role in his first game, the 5-foot-9, 17-pounder will be performing in his hometown. Gulley attended Garfield High School in Akron, Ohio, blocks away from where he’ll play in his first collegiate game.

Another Hofstra transfer, senior Jose Cruz, was named the starter at tight end over senior Nick Provo.

“He’s been by far the most improved player in camp,” Marrone said of the 6-5, 250-pound Cruz. “Every part of his game has improved.”

Ironically, Cruz was an Akron Zip for three years, playing two seasons, 2007 and 2008, before transferring to Hofstra in 2009. When that school dropped football, Cruz came to Syracuse.

I'm sure Cruz would love to play well, but I bet he has always wanted to play well. But I bet he does what he always does and that is drop passes.

More ESPN discussion. Help me out here, Syracuse folks. I realize SU has many grads in the sports journalism business, and I was wondering if Brian Bennett is one of them.

ESPN Link

I don't think Brian is a Alumni, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was. 90% of the people who work at espn are Syracuse grads.

Link

I'm sure Cruz would love to play well, but I bet he has always wanted to play well. But I bet he does what he always does and that is drop passes.

Bennet is not a Cuse grad...BTW, Cruz won't be catching passes (he still drops them at Cuse)...he'll be used for the power run game or blocking for a WR. Provo is our TE that catches passes.

Link

Bennet is not a Cuse grad...BTW, Cruz won't be catching passes (he still drops them at Cuse)...he'll be used for the power run game or blocking for a WR. Provo is our TE that catches passes.

Thanks for the info :wave: Bennett seems to have written a few SU stories recently, so it got me thinking. I knew he had worked for a Louisville paper prior to taking the ESPN gig. Cruz as a blocking tight end is new thing for us. He was a relatively speedy, but not overly physical TE in his time here (at least from my recollection). I see he's up to 250 LBS, and that is a BIG increase from what I recall.

There have been enough articles written on this game (many, thanks to all of the Syracuse grads covering sports out there) that I wanted to wait until at least mid-week to make my prediction. But I’m too pumped for this game to wait any longer.

After an absolutely perfect afternoon of excellent food, beverage, and socializing for all involved, the game starts out pretty conservatively for both squads. The Info is raucous, with fans of each squad making their presence known. The Rowdies resurrect their VCU soccer taunt of “Akron Reeeeject” towards Jose Cruz almost from the beginning. Akron’s defensive front 7 does a nice job in bottling up Carter early on. The Syracuse defense is making it very difficult for the Zips to establish any running game, and Nicely doesn’t get many opportunities or time to throw either.

A bad exchange for the Orange finally set up a scoring chance, but the stout Orange defense holds and Igor bangs in a 36 yard FG to give the Zips a 3-0 lead early in the 2nd quarter. On the next possession, Carter escapes for a few and Nassib hits Alec Lemon for a 30 yard score to put the Orange in front 7-3. With just over two minutes to go before halftime, Nicely moves the Zips downfield quickly with a nice assortment of pass plays, the key being a dump off to Nate Burney who motors 25 yards to the ‘Cuse 21 yard line. On the very next play, Nicely hits LaFrance down the middle of the field and Jeremy waltzes into the end zone. Zips are up at the half, 10-7.

After a lively talk from Marrone, the Orange move the ball methodically and steadily down the field to open the second half. Carter takes it in from the 5 to give SU a 14-10 lead. The Orange faithful are exuberant in response, sensing a possible tipping point in the contest. The rest of the 3rd quarter, however, is dominated by both defenses. A key play takes place near the end when Sewell pressures Nassib into an early throw that is intercepted by Manley Waller and returned to the Orange 27 yard line. Alex Allen erupts for a 15 yarder on 1st down, and a few plays later he rambles in from the 2 giving the Zips a 17-14 lead.

An early 4th quarter field goal by Igor puts the Zips up by 6. Syracuse answers by returning the kickoff deep into Akron territory. But the Zips hold and take over on downs.

With the Zips desperately clinging onto their 20-14 lead late in the 4th quarter, the former Copley great finally breaks off a few long ones, the last of which leave the Orange with 1st and goal from the UA 2 with 15 seconds left on the clock. The Zips have their jumbo package in fully expecting another dose of Carter. Marrone masterfully counters this, and calls for a play-action rollout in which Nassib finds Jose Cruz wide open in the right corner of the end zone. To the dismay of all Zip supporters, Jose initially bobbles the pass but eventually gathers it in before falling through the back of the end zone. Instead of handing the ball back to the officials, however, Jose sprints towards the East side stands where the Rowdies have been momentarily silenced and inexplicably heaves the game ball in the general vicinity of Ian Tayek. Multiple flags are flown and a brief scuffle ensues. In the aftermath, Cruz is tossed from the game and the Orange are forced to attempt the PAT from the 17 yard line, making it essentially a 34 field goal.

With the clock showing 8 measly seconds remaining, Ianello calls the last of his timeouts to “ice” Syracuse PK Ryan Lichtenstein. Special teams coach Vince Okruch signals in a few last second instructions. As the entire stadium comes to a virtual pause, the ball is snapped and Lichtenstein hits it hard and true. But much to his amazement, it rapidly decelerates high above the Akron line where the monstrous left hand of the Tonganator awaits. The ball careens innocently behind the Zip line for a moment, when all of a sudden UA’s own SHAWN Lemon emerges from the pack with the ball in hand. He heads to his left, and storms down the UA sideline like a magic 8 ball shot out of a cannon. Passing the Zips coaching staff, he turns and mutters “text THIS, mother-trucker” before shifting into another gear and blazing by the last would be tackler en route to the end zone! Zips win 22-20!!!! Zips win 22-20!!!

There have been enough articles written on this game (many, thanks to all of the Syracuse grads covering sports out there) that I wanted to wait until at least mid-week to make my prediction. But I’m too pumped for this game to wait any longer.

After an absolutely perfect afternoon of excellent food, beverage, and socializing for all involved, the game starts out pretty conservatively for both squads. The Info is raucous, with fans of each squad making their presence known. The Rowdies resurrect their VCU soccer taunt of “Akron Reeeeject” towards Jose Cruz almost from the beginning. Akron’s defensive front 7 does a nice job in bottling up Carter early on. The Syracuse defense is making it very difficult for the Zips to establish any running game, and Nicely doesn’t get many opportunities or time to throw either.

A bad exchange for the Orange finally set up a scoring chance, but the stout Orange defense holds and Igor bangs in a 36 yard FG to give the Zips a 3-0 lead early in the 2nd quarter. On the next possession, Carter escapes for a few and Nassib hits Alec Lemon for a 30 yard score to put the Orange in front 7-3. With just over two minutes to go before halftime, Nicely moves the Zips downfield quickly with a nice assortment of pass plays, the key being a dump off to Nate Burney who motors 25 yards to the ‘Cuse 21 yard line. On the very next play, Nicely hits LaFrance down the middle of the field and Jeremy waltzes into the end zone. Zips are up at the half, 10-7.

After a lively talk from Marrone, the Orange move the ball methodically and steadily down the field to open the second half. Carter takes it in from the 5 to give SU a 14-10 lead. The Orange faithful are exuberant in response, sensing a possible tipping point in the contest. The rest of the 3rd quarter, however, is dominated by both defenses. A key play takes place near the end when Sewell pressures Nassib into an early throw that is intercepted by Manley Waller and returned to the Orange 27 yard line. Alex Allen erupts for a 15 yarder on 1st down, and a few plays later he rambles in from the 2 giving the Zips a 17-14 lead.

An early 4th quarter field goal by Igor puts the Zips up by 6. Syracuse answers by returning the kickoff deep into Akron territory. But the Zips hold and take over on downs.

With the Zips desperately clinging onto their 20-14 lead late in the 4th quarter, the former Copley great finally breaks off a few long ones, the last of which leave the Orange with 1st and goal from the UA 2 with 15 seconds left on the clock. The Zips have their jumbo package in fully expecting another dose of Carter. Marrone masterfully counters this, and calls for a play-action rollout in which Nassib finds Jose Cruz wide open in the right corner of the end zone. To the dismay of all Zip supporters, Jose initially bobbles the pass but eventually gathers it in before falling through the back of the end zone. Instead of handing the ball back to the officials, however, Jose sprints towards the East side stands where the Rowdies have been momentarily silenced and inexplicably heaves the game ball in the general vicinity of Ian Tayek. Multiple flags are flown and a brief scuffle ensues. In the aftermath, Cruz is tossed from the game and the Orange are forced to attempt the PAT from the 17 yard line, making it essentially a 34 field goal.

With the clock showing 8 measly seconds remaining, Ianello calls the last of his timeouts to “ice” Syracuse PK Ryan Lichtenstein. Special teams coach Vince Okruch signals in a few last second instructions. As the entire stadium comes to a virtual pause, the ball is snapped and Lichtenstein hits it hard and true. But much to his amazement, it rapidly decelerates high above the Akron line where the monstrous left hand of the Tonganator awaits. The ball careens innocently behind the Zip line for a moment, when all of a sudden UA’s own SHAWN Lemon emerges from the pack with the ball in hand. He heads to his left, and storms down the UA sideline like a magic 8 ball shot out of a cannon. Passing the Zips coaching staff, he turns and mutters “text THIS, mother-trucker” before shifting into another gear and blazing by the last would be tackler en route to the end zone! Zips win 22-20!!!! Zips win 22-20!!!

Well thanks, now there's no reason to even go. But if this even remotely happends we will elect you king. :)

Cuse will try to run the ball. They'll try to keep it entirely on the ground through out the game in the hopes of wearing out our defense. But they don't realize that 1) we don't run a 3-3-5 defense any more so it won't be so easy (Anyone reading this could have run for 100 yards a game against that formation) and 2) we have far more depth than they do. Our D-line is three-deep with great talent and behind them is a linebacking corps that is tops in the MAC.

Cuse will try to run the ball...they don't realize that we don't run a 3-3-5 defense any more...
Uh, I'm pretty sure the Syracuse staff knows what kind of defense the Zips will play. I bet they even played against it before. :rolleyes:

I just read it here...I called up Doug and told him...I heard Sh!t and mad scrambling in the background...Thanks for the heads up.ZachThe Zip :cheers:

Cuse will try to run the ball...they don't realize that we don't run a 3-3-5 defense any more...
Uh, I'm pretty sure the Syracuse staff knows what kind of defense the Zips will play. I bet they even played against it before. :rolleyes:

Coaches are people with strong habits. Running the ball worked great against us last year, so they think it will work just the same this year.

There have been enough articles written on this game (many, thanks to all of the Syracuse grads covering sports out there) that I wanted to wait until at least mid-week to make my prediction. But I'm too pumped for this game to wait any longer.

After an absolutely perfect afternoon of excellent food, beverage, and socializing for all involved, the game starts out pretty conservatively for both squads. The Info is raucous, with fans of each squad making their presence known. The Rowdies resurrect their VCU soccer taunt of "Akron Reeeeject" towards Jose Cruz almost from the beginning. Akron's defensive front 7 does a nice job in bottling up Carter early on. The Syracuse defense is making it very difficult for the Zips to establish any running game, and Nicely doesn't get many opportunities or time to throw either.

A bad exchange for the Orange finally set up a scoring chance, but the stout Orange defense holds and Igor bangs in a 36 yard FG to give the Zips a 3-0 lead early in the 2nd quarter. On the next possession, Carter escapes for a few and Nassib hits Alec Lemon for a 30 yard score to put the Orange in front 7-3. With just over two minutes to go before halftime, Nicely moves the Zips downfield quickly with a nice assortment of pass plays, the key being a dump off to Nate Burney who motors 25 yards to the 'Cuse 21 yard line. On the very next play, Nicely hits LaFrance down the middle of the field and Jeremy waltzes into the end zone. Zips are up at the half, 10-7.

With the clock showing 8 measly seconds remaining, Ianello calls the last of his timeouts to "ice" Syracuse PK Ryan Lichtenstein. Special teams coach Vince Okruch signals in a few last second instructions. As the entire stadium comes to a virtual pause, the ball is snapped and Lichtenstein hits it hard and true. But much to his amazement, it rapidly decelerates high above the Akron line where the monstrous left hand of the Tonganator awaits. The ball careens innocently behind the Zip line for a moment, when all of a sudden UA's own SHAWN Lemon emerges from the pack with the ball in hand. He heads to his left, and storms down the UA sideline like a magic 8 ball shot out of a cannon. Passing the Zips coaching staff, he turns and mutters "text THIS, mother-trucker" before shifting into another gear and blazing by the last would be tackler en route to the end zone! Zips win 22-20!!!! Zips win 22-20!!!

:bow: Wow, Wow, Wow - Exciting commentary. luv it. You should be a sports writer! Great reading. NEVER SAY NEVER, and Never Give Up. GO ZIPS!!

I just read it here...I called up Doug and told him...I heard Sh!t and mad scrambling in the background...Thanks for the heads up.ZachThe Zip :cheers:

You are my favorite opposing team poster ever. :)

Cuse will try to run the ball. They'll try to keep it entirely on the ground through out the game in the hopes of wearing out our defense. But they don't realize that 1) we don't run a 3-3-5 defense any more so it won't be so easy (Anyone reading this could have run for 100 yards a game against that formation) and 2) we have far more depth than they do. Our D-line is three-deep with great talent and behind them is a linebacking corps that is tops in the MAC.

I'll follow up on those two points...

First, I don't care what 11 guys are on the field for us defensively, and what their position says in the program. We just better be a lot better at tackling than we've been with many of these same guys on the field the last couple of years.

Secondly, I'm wondering when we suddenly became a team with good talent several guys deep. We've struggled with that ever since our arrival as a 1-A school. And even if that situation has improved, I'd still question whether our talent on the bench is topping BCS level programs.