Watch party

I thought this topic was important enough to deserve its own thread.

So far I've heard Barley House and Tap House. I'd like to hear what the geniuses of Zipsnation have to say about which is the better option.

I know all the pluses and minuses of Barley House. Tap House, given its location is more of a mystery to me. Any how, with each choice I don't think it's too much to expect the audio on the tv's to be turned up.

One thing though...if I was a business owner I would definitely be posting on this forum telling why my place would be the best. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the Barley House was owned by some out of state corporate conglomerate.

Looking forward to making the drive down from Cleveland, watching the Zips win another two games with a host of other die hard Akron fans!!!!

Scott

Barley wins in the principle of its size and TV screens. However, Tap House I feel is much more willing to show Akron sports than Barley will. If we're playing as late as I think we are Friday night, Barley will already be starting to pack with the night crowd and I doubt you'll have a great viewing experience. So on that basis, I would go to Tap House. Its damn easy to get to as well - Just head down 77 until you get to the Waterloo exit. Then turn right and you can't miss it on your right.

It's too bad we can't just overwhelm these places and force them to take notice.

Or maybe we can, we just organize really well and get everyone on ZN.o to the same place. If 50 people are screaming for the TV's to be put on the Zips and the terrible music to be turned down they'd have to listen.

Last year i only made it down for the final and for the semifinal a group of about 20 of us went to brubakers. We ended up getting them to turn it on with sound, give specials to everyone in their leftover Zips cups from the football season promo they had, and by the end of the night when we won on those PK's the entire bar was watching and erupted when we won. I bet 90% of the people in there didn't even intend to watch/know the game was on when they left their houses.

Basically: People want to watch a winner, if we act like it's the cool thing and treat them like they are the crazy ones for not knowing or being on board with it, then they will jump on the bandwagon. It just takes a decent sized group to start it.

Last time I was at Barley was one night after OSU won their football game for that day and all the the DJ was talking about was that game. Yes, our football team was nothing to brag about, but right down the street from Akron and you are going on and on about OSU? No thanks.

At Tap House on the other hand, not only do they actually care about Akron, but the owner is friends with the ROWDIES. He donated food for our tailgate the other day and he is real personal. He comes to Akron soccer games and will DEFINITELY have the game showing, if he isn't in Santa Barbara himself. I will support the guy who I know actually cares about the team and about the ROWDIES.

At the send-off party they said, "We'll see you at Barley House for the semifinal game Friday at 11pm." I'd certainly hope the game will be on with full volume. Last year they did a great job for the final, setting every TV on the game, volume up full, and signs on the door saying that no NFL would be shown in favor of the "UA Soccer National Championship Game." Left with a positive opinion that day, despite the outcome. Hopefully they don't drop the ball this time.

At the send-off party they said, "We'll see you at Barley House for the semifinal game Friday at 11pm." I'd certainly hope the game will be on with full volume. Last year they did a great job for the final, setting every TV on the game, volume up full, and signs on the door saying that no NFL would be shown in favor of the "UA Soccer National Championship Game." Left with a positive opinion that day, despite the outcome. Hopefully they don't drop the ball this time.

Barley House actually created a thread saying that every tv will be on the game and audio cranked. I was planning on heading to the Tap House, but looks like Barley is going to go all out for the Zips. Now I have a decision to make.

Edit: Barley House Thread

Went to TH for a basketball game last year that was "advertised" they would have, and after getting there along with a packed house, never got to see it because they weren't able to get it. I would go to which one "gaurantees" the game being shown. The Union sounds like a great place if the University would promote it.

Went to TH for a basketball game last year that was "advertised" they would have, and after getting there along with a packed house, never got to see it because they weren't able to get it. I would go to which one "gaurantees" the game being shown. The Union sounds like a great place if the University would promote it.

To be fair, the game wasn't their fault. I was there as well and that game their cable provider dropped the ball.

To be fair, the game wasn't their fault. I was there as well and that game their cable provider dropped the ball.

As an owner, you should check, double check and triple check to be sure that the game (as advertised) was being shown and when the game was not going to be show, regardless who "dropped the ball", you, as an owner should at least address the "patrons" that were there and apologize for the misfortune vs NOT say anything at all as if it was just "another" night.

I was there as well...Texas A&M game...FSN Southwest dropped it due to lack of attendance...the owner actually told the cable provifder off...i can;t say it on here what he said since ZN.O is a family friendly site... :D

I was burned by the TH a couple of times last year and I will never go back. They guaranteed/confirmed that they would be showing the Buffalo Football game last year and the A&M Basketball contest just hours before game time. Needless to say they didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked for them to turn on the Akron game. The Tap House is crap. We frequented it during my 4 year stint of employment on Waterloo road. The beer is stale and the food is tired. The Zips need an on or near campus official bar just like they needed an on campus stadium. Pick a bar near the campus. I bet Manny's would love to host game day activities and official watch parties when they reopen :rofl: .

I'm going to head to my friend's house friday night at about 7pm...we'll play FIFA, eat pizza, chips, and drink pop while waiting for the start of the game...Better than not knowing what ur getting at the Barley House or the Tap House...this is what i found on facebook on what the tap house has planned:

Tap House: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1728...090&index=1

I'm going to head to my friend's house friday night at about 7pm...we'll play FIFA, eat pizza, chips, and drink pop while waiting for the start of the game...Better than not knowing what ur getting at the Barley House or the Tap House...this is what i found on facebook on what the tap house has planned:

Tap House: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1728...090&index=1

I'm going to do something similar on Friday. The game is too late to make me want to drive all the way to Akron anyways. This way we can watch both games too. If the Zips take care of Michigan I will be sure to head down to Akron on Sunday so that I can hopefully enjoy a championship surrounded by fellow Zips fans.

I've never been to the Tap House. But according to the Suburbanite story, Ripper Owens' Tap House had its grand opening just two months ago. I guess the question is whether it's under new ownership or has just been renovated and might have a new attitude about catering to Zips fans.

They have a Can't state logo on the Tap House homepage. The Menu has changed for what looks to be the better.