New A.D. Plans

a-zip

Announcement would you like to hear 1st  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Zipboy, there is NO reason that K. Lolla would be against a new A.D. He was on the committee that hired M. Thomas. There have already been a number of applicants in town that the Search Committee has interviewed, that is why French said a new A.D. will be announced soon. The University and Search Committee jumped right on the task.

Too early for Lolla to be replaced. I think we've got the ability to get a top notch coach, especially if the athletic department says they are going to continue throwing money at the program. I don't think they'll announce any new contracts until the seasons are over. If we lay an egg at the MCB, JD gets just his bonuses from the previous contact. The basketball season has barely started, we don't know how it's going to turn out.

That's why I voted for the stadium. This "rumor" has been flying around for nearly a year now, and still nothing. It sounds like Rhoades is a money guy and the only reason for that is to get the cash to build a new stadium. I've got mixed thoughts about this approach though. We need the new stadium, but we also need to get a top notch soccer coach, and keep JD! I think both aspects are of equal importance. If Rhoades can get the same coaching talent that Thomas brought in AND raise stadium money, then that guy is a goldmine.

I think UAM would have been a safe bet, IMO, he would have continued the tradition of getting great coaching. I hope Rhoades is the real deal. If not, then this will prove a crucial mistake.

You forgot the "all of the above" answer. Right now I don't think we can prioritize those three things. All three are vital to keep this program moving forward.

Lolla needs to be replaced with someone who can take us that last step. Call me what you may, but I hope we hire the right person to bring home the College Cup while Lolla sits down in Louisville watching and wondering why in the world he ever left.

We need to do our damndest to lock up JD for as long as possible, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he will leave eventually. Before you go calling me a hypocrite b/c of my stance on the Lolla issue let me explain. The difference between the $$ offered to coach at a BCS college or coordinate or coach on the NFL level and the $$ you can make as a MAC coach HUGE. The difference between what you can make in those same scenarios presented in soccer, ehh, not so huge. JD is eventually gonna get enticed by the $$. I don't know what the hell happened with Lolla.

Dambrot needs locked up too. So he has his past demons. I have my doubts as to whether or not Thomas would have hired him if he felt he was still a problem. Dude can coach. See keeping JD above.

Stadium. Do we really need to harp out the reasons that we need this???

Two thoughts:

First, just because this new AD can raise money it does not mean he cannot do the rest of it well, too. Thomas found the money for several projects on campus, including our state-of-the-art fieldhouse, and he wasn't traditionally a money guy. He also ran a tight department and hired extremely well - including UAM. I just don't think the two are mutually exclusive (fundraising and managing well). This guy seems to have the credentials. Dr. Proenza hired MT so I trust him on this, too. I'm assuming there was also a search committee.

Two, if JD or Keith are worth their salt, we WON'T keep them. Rhoades could be the second coming of Christ in ADs and he won't have the pockets to keep him if a BCS school comes calling. Same with Keith - that's just how it is in those sports. So I hope they move on eventually, because that will mean we have been winning big in their respective sports.

Welcome Mr. Rhoades! Go Zips!

Two thoughts:

First, just because this new AD can raise money it does not mean he cannot do the rest of it well, too. Thomas found the money for several projects on campus, including our state-of-the-art fieldhouse, and he wasn't traditionally a money guy. He also ran a tight department and hired extremely well - including UAM. I just don't think the two are mutually exclusive (fundraising and managing well). This guy seems to have the credentials. Dr. Proenza hired MT so I trust him on this, too. I'm assuming there was also a search committee.

Two, if JD or Keith are worth their salt, we WON'T keep them. Rhoades could be the second coming of Christ in ADs and he won't have the pockets to keep him if a BCS school comes calling. Same with Keith - that's just how it is in those sports. So I hope they move on eventually, because that will mean we have been winning big in their respective sports.

Welcome Mr. Rhoades! Go Zips!

JD will be gone in a year.

Bottom line...we need this stadium, and it needs to be as nice as canal park. What we need to focus on is outgrowing the MAC if we want to get anywhere in college athletics and really create a name for ourselves. KD even said it. A nice stadium would be a huge step in that direction. Once we increase our prestige as an athletic departmentl, then our turnover rate will decrease substantially.

We are getting a young AD that probably will be looking to further advance his career, so he will definitely be anxious to get things done here to beef up his resume. Spearheading the stadium project would be a nice thing to put on there.

As a season ticket holder for many years, a new stadium must happen...and soon. The Rubber Bowl is a disgrace to the University, MAC and college football. It must be replaced.

The bigger crowds, more money, possible high school football playoffs, etc. will be nice, but mostly, I just want a nice place to go watch a game. I think that is the best reason to want a new stadium. Give the fans and people in NE Ohio a place to go enjoy a fall day without having to look at a dump like the RB.

JD will be gone in a year.

I disagee. Two 6-5 seasons at Akron and he's gone? No chance.

The Boise State coach had 5 ridiculously successful seasons...9+ win seasons while beating BCS-level competition...before moving on to Colorado.

Hoeppner was very successful a Miami, but it took how long before he left for Indiana? 6 years? Maybe more?

Unless you are an absolute coaching freak like Urban Meyer you aren't hopping anywhere in 3 years. Especially if you are 6-5 in those years. It is just plain silly to discuss JD's departure at this time in his coaching career.

I disagee. Two 6-5 seasons at Akron and he's gone? No chance.

Amen!

There is no reason for JD to be in a hurry to go anywhere. He is too young in that profession to be in a hurry.

He needs to have a minimum three or four winning seasons with two MAC Championships and he can make a change. He can do that in his mid to late 40's. The major programs pay at least one million per year. A few years at a major program and he will be set for money for the rest of his life at an early age.

Speaking of money. Did JD have bonus possibilities in his contract for winning the MAC? He may have made a nice bonus in Detroit a couple of weeks ago. Good for him. :thumb:

I don't really see what good signing JD or Dambrot to a long term contract would be. Unlike any other profession, coaching is unique in that while a University is bound by a contract and must honor it, the coach can take off any time he wants. If JD wants to leave and a program wants him bad enough, he'll leave regardless of how many years is left on his contract. Now if he suddenly starts losing and things fall to pieces and we want to get rid of him, we have to pay him oogles of money to buy out his contract. The new AD needs to focus on the new Stadium.

When was the last time an Akron football (Not futbol) coach left and went to a bigger school? At the beginning of the year we were debating if/when JD would go. In the middle of the year, we were wondering if/when we should fire him. At the end of the year, we're debating if/when JD will go. Just be thankful he's got us to where we are and let this thing go. It's almost as bad as the attendance talk! :rolleyes:

When was the last time an Akron football (Not futbol) coach left and went to a bigger school? At the beginning of the year we were debating if/when JD would go. In the middle of the year, we were wondering if/when we should fire him. At the end of the year, we're debating if/when JD will go. Just be thankful he's got us to where we are and let this thing go. It's almost as bad as the attendance talk! :rolleyes:

I said nothing in there about JD leaving. The point was there's no point in signing coaches to long contracts, because the school is the only ones who has to honor them.

• 4 weeks later...

:macc: Build a stadium. First and foremost, BUILD A STADIUM. Brookhart is not here forever, but he is here for a couple more years at minimum. He's a good coach and has an excellent recruiting staff in place, but eventually, if this program is successful, (god I hope that it is) he's gonna take another job someplace else. That stadium will still be here, however. Hey, if he does decide to stay, we can name the place after him, someday, just like the brown roo suggests. He could become Akron's Frank Beamer, and maybe Akron could be the next Va. Tech. Sounds crazy, but you never know....

Akron won 7 games this season.
Yeah, thanks for the update :rolleyes: .I was talking about in our normal 11 game schedule. Two seasons in a row with 6 wins. Lee Owens did that. We got a seventh win in a post season we were very lucky to be in and in a normal year we would not have been in. Until JD firmly establishes this program as winning 8-9 games year in and year out, no major programs are going to be interested.

If you really want to get picky the 2003 team only won 5 games against 1-A teams. Cal Poly and Howard cannot be counted as these were not 1-A teams. Also, Lee Owens teams lost to 1-AA teams in 2000 (UConn) and 1995 (YSU). Owens had only one winning season against 1-A competition, which was in 1999 when the Zips went 7-4. I know because I was a senior on that team (96-97-98-99) and believe me we took over the squad and won in spite of some of the lame calls that were being made. Big George and my boys got things done, especially at Navy. Once the Class of 2000 left it was downhill all the way because no one could stand the lack of discipline on the teams. Owens all time record against 1-AA teams was 3-2. He belongs at d2 and was never mentally equipped to be a 1-A coach.

If you really want to get picky the 2003 team only won 5 games against 1-A teams. Cal Poly and Howard cannot be counted as these were not 1-A teams. Also, Lee Owens teams lost to 1-AA teams in 2000 (UConn) and 1995 (YSU). Owens had only one winning season against 1-A competition, which was in 1999 when the Zips went 7-4. I know because I was a senior on that team (96-97-98-99) and believe me we took over the squad and won in spite of some of the lame calls that were being made. Big George and my boys got things done, especially at Navy. Once the Class of 2000 left it was downhill all the way because no one could stand the lack of discipline on the teams. Owens all time record against 1-AA teams was 3-2. He belongs at d2 and was never mentally equipped to be a 1-A coach.
You sound pretty bitter. Which is understandable. You were never that good. Don't blame your own lack of talent on the coaching staff. That's just pathetic.

If you really want to get picky the 2003 team only won 5 games against 1-A teams. Cal Poly and Howard cannot be counted as these were not 1-A teams.  Also, Lee Owens teams lost to 1-AA teams in 2000 (UConn) and 1995 (YSU). Owens had only one winning season against 1-A competition, which was in 1999 when the Zips went 7-4.  I know because I was a senior on that team (96-97-98-99) and believe me we took over the squad and won in spite of some of the lame calls that were being made. Big George and my boys got things done, especially at Navy. Once the Class of 2000 left it was downhill all the way because no one could stand the lack of discipline on the teams.  Owens all time record against 1-AA teams was 3-2.  He belongs at d2 and was never mentally equipped to be a 1-A coach.
You sound pretty bitter. Which is understandable. You were never that good. Don't blame your own lack of talent on the coaching staff. That's just pathetic.
Great blast ITZ! That's the stuff that makes boards great. However, the personal blast at Owens aside, the facts are the facts.

i only say that we need a socer coach first because that is a more pressing need for their recruiting efforts. in my heart though i cant wait to hear the plans for a new stadium! i hope in includes a large parking lot to keep the tail gate experience. 35-40k will be too big at first but we can grow into it. you have to think big to become big time.one quick question for in the zone....why are you showing a Can't state fan on this site? please tell me its a joke.go zips! :screwks: