BracketBusters Opponent

GJGood

Creighton happy to be playing us...............................

From Omaha news..............

PEORIA, Ill. — Under the circumstances, Akron provides Creighton coach Greg McDermott with a near perfect Bracket­Buster opponent.

The Bluejays drew a trip to play the Zips when pairings for the made-for-ESPN event were announced Monday afternoon. Creighton will face Akron on Feb. 19, with the time of the non-televised game to be determined.

“It keeps us somewhere in the Midwest,'' McDermott said after his team wrapped up practice for Tuesday's game against Bradley. “I was worried we might have to go to either the East or West Coasts.''

Such a trip, especially to the West Coast, might have delighted Creighton senior Kenny Lawson. Lawson, a southern California guy, was hoping the Bluejays would draw a team from that area of the country, especially after it was announced last week that Creighton would be playing San Diego State in next season's Missouri Valley-Mountain West Challenge.

“When I heard that, I was like, ‘Wow!' ” said Lawson, who played high school basketball in the San Diego suburb of Oceanside. “I couldn't believe they're going to get to play out there next year. Talk about bad timing.''

McDermott had concerns about the timing of a possible BracketBuster trip to either coast this month. Four days after their BracketBuster game, the Bluejays play at Wichita State, which is tied for the Valley lead.

Creighton closes the regular season with a Feb. 26 home game against Northern Iowa, which is one game behind the Shockers and Missouri State in the standings.

“Wichita State and Northern Iowa are two important games for us in regard to finishing out the season and possibly building some momentum for the conference tournament,'' McDermott said. “I was worried about how a long trip might have disrupted things for us.''

The trip to Akron will pit the Bluejays against a Mid-American Conference team that stands 12-9 overall and 3-4 in league play. The Zips are 8-2 at home this season, and are 2-1 in BracketBuster games played at Rhodes Arena.

Overall, Akron is 2-5 in Bracket­Buster play, while Creighton is 6-2 in the event.

The teams have met just once, with Creighton posting a 71-60 victory in the 2006 National Invitation Tournament.

Creighton is a great draw. They should be good next year.

They are not too shabby this season.

I got what I wished as well, an MVC opponent. I am very pleased but our boys will have to be on their best game to hang with the Jays. In my opinion, there s not one team in the MAC that Creighton couldn't take down. The MVC is just that far superior to the MAC, a fact that nobody in their right mind would dispute.

I'll know more after tonights game but the way things are looking I would like to see just about anybody from the MVC.

One of my favorite MVC schools is Evansville. I think they were somewhere similar to us in RPI too after last week's games.

Back in our D2 days the Purple Aces always gave us all we could handle (and frequently more). Given their performance so far this year, I think this would be a good game, and the return trip next year would give all you heathens a chance to visit the Bible belt. (No Zach, that isn't a clothing item made from a book)

Wow, just noted this post along with GJGood's

I've been around long enough to remember the names of Billy Turner, Frank Thompson, Bobby Smith and Jerry Sloan. As I recall, both Evansville and the Zips both had a guy named Jerry Sloan playing for them. Those were the true glory days of Zip basketball. That team would have destroyed any of later day Zip teams. I remember being a young boy and the thought of those guys had me out shooting jumpers for hours at a time, I wanted so much to be as good as they were.

I've been around long enough to remember the names of Billy Turner, Frank Thompson, Bobby Smith and Jerry Sloan. As I recall, both Evansville and the Zips both had a guy named Jerry Sloan playing for them. Those were the true glory days of Zip basketball. That team would have destroyed any of later day Zip teams. I remember being a young boy and the thought of those guys had me out shooting jumpers for hours at a time, I wanted so much to be as good as they were.

I too am old enough to remember the old glory days of college division basketball at "akron U" ! mideast regionals, sometimes at home, games televised on TV 49, Bob Wylie calling the barnburners on radio sponsored by the Firestone Bank, and names like Len Paul, Will Schwartzinger, Harvey Glover, and others. They were great times but realistically I cant say they would have "destroyed later day zip teams. This years team perhaps, but still they built their 25 win seasons with wins over northern Michigan, Indaian PA, muskingum, Tiffin, etc. Not exactly world beaters. Im not criticising those teams, nor am I criticizing Hip Zip, but it reminds me of times people have said Mount Union could kill a mac school in football. I just dont buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
It was a free idea, just looking for credit. I'm sure the creator gave the proper credit and didn't pass it off as his own.

Unbelievable that someone rips me off so blatantly. All it would have taken was a simple PM or post stating "Thanks for the idea" and everything would be fine. I hope the classless lackey that took credit for this as their own work enjoys ZN.

I used to provide Marketing ideas to the Thomas administration. Many were used, and they always had the class to say "thanks." I miss classy people. They're a thing of the past.

It was a free idea, just looking for credit. I'm sure the creator gave the proper credit and didn't pass it off as his own.

Unbelievable that someone rips me off so blatantly. All it would have taken was a simple PM or post stating "Thanks for the idea" and everything would be fine. I hope the classless lackey that took credit for this as their own work enjoys ZN.

I used to provide Marketing ideas to the Thomas administration. Many were used, and they always had the class to say "thanks." I miss classy people. They're a thing of the past.

Given the Captain's sarcastic history, I can't tell if this is serious or not.

A much better promotion would be to offer a big prize to the person who correctly guesses how many RC car races will be held at the JAR before the folks running the races catch up with the fans and realize that the yellow car is going to lose every time because it's defective.

The folks running the races continued to appear clueless at the last home game as the yellow car once again spun out of control before it went 10 feet.

We're getting close to the last game of the season at the JAR, and it's looking more and more like they will go the whole season without recognizing that one of their race cars is defective and has never finished a race.

Unbelievable that someone rips me off so blatantly. All it would have taken was a simple PM or post stating "Thanks for the idea" and everything would be fine. I hope the classless lackey that took credit for this as their own work enjoys ZN.O.

Given the Captain's sarcastic history, I can't tell if this is serious or not.

I'm serious. People who take credit for other people's work or ideas make me sick. Just a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are cool with it.

Since the Thomas Administration left, ZN.O has always had a Rex Ryan/Foot type relationship.

ZN.O is UA Athletics' big juicy foot. They won't ever admit they love a big smelly foot, but reality shows they're addicted to 'em.

I'm serious. People who take credit for other people's work or ideas make me sick. Just a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are cool with it.

Since the Thomas Administration left, ZN.O has always had a Rex Ryan/Foot type relationship.

ZN.O is UA Athletics' big juicy foot. They won't ever admit they love a big smelly foot, but reality shows they're addicted to 'em.

I thought you were an engineer. :) You should be in marketing. :bow:

My congratulations to the Cap'n for his ability to psychically transform the UA Marketing Dept. However, back to the topic of the Blue Jays. Did no one else see this team take apart S. Illinois last Saturday on ESPNU? Watching the game, at first I thought it was just a conterpart to Akron disecting Central Michigan. However, SIU even missing about five players with injury or suspension is a much better team than what the bottom of the MAC West can offer up. This game should now be on TV -- too late for ESPN I'm afraid, but it should be one of the top BracketBusters matchups. The BlueJays center, Echineque (sp?) goes 6-8 and 270. It's going to be fun watching Zeke battle with THAT! I frankly have to think it will be a matter of whether Akron can stay hot from the perimeter (Hello, Nitro?), and then whether we can get offensive rebounds against Creighton's athletic post players. If I had to bet, I'd go with CU straight up, and I imagine the Vegas line will favor them by 3 or 4. I sure wish I could see it though. I envy those of you who get to plow your driveways to get to the JAR. Well, maybe not. Surf's up! ;)

I too am old enough to remember the old glory days of college division basketball at "akron U" ! mideast regionals, sometimes at home, games televised on TV 49, Bob Wylie calling the barnburners on radio sponsored by the Firestone Bank, and names like Len Paul, Will Schwartzinger, Harvey Glover, and others. They were great times but realistically I cant say they would have "destroyed later day zip teams. This years team perhaps, but still they built their 25 win seasons with wins over northern Michigan, Indaian PA, muskingum, Tiffin, etc. Not exactly world beaters. Im not criticising those teams, nor am I criticizing Hip Zip, but it reminds me of times people have said Mount Union could kill a mac school in football. I just dont buy it.

Me Too!!!

HARVEY GLOVER

I beat him in bowling. He was not much of a BB player either. Big, but a little awkward. Great guy, though. Not stuck up at all.

Remember there was NO dunking in those days, not even in practice. Our guys were not that tall, as I recall, but the no dunk rule took the big man out of the picture a little bit as compared to today.

We did have some really good players. Paul, Henry, Sloan, Jenkins, Quarrels (Sloan was class of '68 and did not play with the rest of these guys). But we were Div II and never went all the way, so to think they could have beat todays team is a pipe dream. You see what we do to Div II teams.

However, they were some great times. And unlike today, the fans cared and FILLED Memorial Hall. I remember standing many times. And in that place it was like having an extra guy on the court.

Me Too!!!

HARVEY GLOVER

I beat him in bowling. He was not much of a BB player either. Big, but a little awkward. Great guy, though. Not stuck up at all.

Remember there was NO dunking in those days, not even in practice. Our guys were not that tall, as I recall, but the no dunk rule took the big man out of the picture a little bit as compared to today.

We did have some really good players. Paul, Henry, Sloan, Jenkins, Quarrels (Sloan was class of '68 and did not play with the rest of these guys). But we were Div II and never went all the way, so to think they could have beat todays team is a pipe dream. You see what we do to Div II teams.

However, they were some great times. And unlike today, the fans cared and FILLED Memorial Hall. I remember standing many times. And in that place it was like having an extra guy on the court.

Whether or not a team from the Zips glory years could beat one of the more contemporary Zip squads depends in part on whether the game is being played with a shot clock. With no shot clock and the the Glory Years group scoring first, they win just about every contest. How? Give the ball to Terry Marsh and let him dribble out the clock.

In 1967-68 season, the only holdover was Sloan. The team was HORRIBLE. They actually tried to win games 2-0 by holding the ball the entire game playing for one shot. Didn't work of course. But they were THAT bad.

And the next year, I think is when we got Len Paul and EVERYTHING CHANGED.

I wish he was playing for us now, we would probably get to the Madness. He was really something else to watch.

In 1967-68 season, the only holdover was Sloan. The team was HORRIBLE. They actually tried to win games 2-0 by holding the ball the entire game playing for one shot. Didn't work of course. But they were THAT bad.

And the next year, I think is when we got Len Paul and EVERYTHING CHANGED.

I wish he was playing for us now, we would probably get to the Madness. He was really something else to watch.

Len Paul came 69-70 ... one of the top 6 players ever at UA.