Recruiting Class of 2011

The full press conference is up on gozips.com to watch.

ABJ article.

Matt Rodgers graduated and has left the team. Dylan Potts is being moved to WR. That's why we signed 3 QBs and why D'Orazio will be tried at QB before we decide if he should play as a DB.

My favorite quote from the ABJ: "On defense, the Zips added four linemen, one linebacker and four backs. We needed the backs because three of our backs from last years' squad have left the program to become jockeys."

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had insomnia this morning so I looked at some details of this years recruiting class - the whole class had a total of 11 offers - with 16 players receiving no other offers except Akron. For a frame of reference, Toledo's class had a total of 58 offers. So we have the best facilities in the MAC and a recruiting genius who could probably recruit Rush Limbaugh to join the democratic party :bow:, and this is his first full recruiting class. With the investment made in the facilities as well as what we are paying this coaching staff - I expect a LOT more.... Sorry - not impressed.

Good point. The star system is very flawed and there are a lot of people with their own agendas and favorites.

To truly judge a player, as much as you can judge them before they get here, look at his offers. If he has offers from big time schools, he is a player. I am not talking interest from the schools, I am talking an actual offer.

ABJ article.

Matt Rodgers graduated and has left the team. Dylan Potts is being moved to WR. That's why we signed 3 QBs and why D'Orazio will be tried at QB before we decide if he should play as a DB.

My favorite quote from the ABJ: "On defense, the Zips added four linemen, one linebacker and four backs. We needed the backs because three of our backs from last years' squad have left the program to become jockeys."

I, too read the article. What a waste of time.

In particular, the two paragraphs referring to Tom Lemmings comments were ridiculous.

''Akron's having an outstanding year. They're doing an excellent job in their area. Rob Ianello is an excellent recruiter,'' said Tom Lemming, an analyst for the CBS College Sports Network and one of the nation's best in his field. ''It's going to take him three or four years to get to the top of the Mid-American Conference, but they're going to do it.

''I was really impressed with the way they went about their recruiting. They really attacked it, beating Bowling Green, Ohio and Toledo to a lot of top players.''

Like Tom Lemming has any clue about UA's recruiting class or the MAC in general.

Why were we outstanding, Tom?

Is Rob really a great recruiter at UA or did you mean at ND?

If it takes 3 or 4 years to get back to the top in the MAC, you really aren't that great...

How was he impressed?

Then he named three other MAC schools ...

Superb analysis, Tom....

ABJ article.

I, too read the article. What a waste of time.

In particular, the two paragraphs referring to Tom Lemmings comments were ridiculous.

''Akron's having an outstanding year. They're doing an excellent job in their area. Rob Ianello is an excellent recruiter,'' said Tom Lemming, an analyst for the CBS College Sports Network and one of the nation's best in his field. ''It's going to take him three or four years to get to the top of the Mid-American Conference, but they're going to do it.

''I was really impressed with the way they went about their recruiting. They really attacked it, beating Bowling Green, Ohio and Toledo to a lot of top players.''

Like Tom Lemming has any clue about UA's recruiting class or the MAC in general.

Why were we outstanding, Tom?

Is Rob really a great recruiter at UA or did you mean at ND?

If it takes 3 or 4 years to get back to the top in the MAC, you really aren't that great...

How was he impressed?

Then he named three other MAC schools ...

Superb analysis, Tom....

Lemming is a ND homer big time. I never listen to anything that schmuch says.

Had insomnia this morning so I looked at some details of this years recruiting class - the whole class had a total of 11 offers - with 16 players receiving no other offers except Akron. For a frame of reference, Toledo's class had a total of 58 offers. So we have the best facilities in the MAC and a recruiting genius who could probably recruit Rush Limbaugh to join the democratic party :bow:, and this is his first full recruiting class. With the investment made in the facilities as well as what we are paying this coaching staff - I expect a LOT more.... Sorry - not impressed.

Good point. The star system is very flawed and there are a lot of people with their own agendas and favorites.

To truly judge a player, as much as you can judge them before they get here, look at his offers. If he has offers from big time schools, he is a player. I am not talking interest from the schools, I am talking an actual offer.

Yeah, you mean like Aaron Rodgers who didnt have one....NOT ONE ....D1 offer? This talk about our bad recruiting under Ianello is beyond annoying.

Yeah, you mean like Aaron Rodgers who didnt have one....NOT ONE ....D1 offer? This talk about our bad recruiting under Ianello is beyond annoying.

Exactly, FAR too early to determine anything in terms of recruiting. Now his game-day coaching and preparation is garbage. Though maybe he will learn a bit as he goes.

There are exceptions to every rule. So do you think we have 20 Aaron Rogers here is that what you are saying?

:laugh_up: There are also players in the NFL that played D3 football - what's your point? But you are probably right, iCoach is probably such a great recruiter and talent evaluator that he can find players that nobody else wanted and convince them to come to Akron. I much rather have that than Toledo's recruiting class full of recruits that were wanted by other D1 programs - I don't know what I was thinking....

nice article zach! i think its interesting when looking at these numbers mostly because the various sites show different offers on the players profiles. for example scout shows multiple offers for moore but only one for march. on rivals its reversed. i'd guess that the number of players that had akron as their only offer would be around 50%. i can be ok with that as long as the bottom half adds depth and the top half can find their way onto the field and contribute over 5 years. once akron starts to win more than 1 game a year you'll see that number change.

also all the people that were complaining about jd's at risk kids are not stepping up to talk about coach i's less risky picks. i am curious as to why we haven't seen any remarks about this on the board? again, there are multiple ways to recruit so i am not condoning a certain way to get the job done. just curious about what everyone else thinks.

:screwks:

I would love to see an article written similar to this one lookin at recruit in classes four years ago or one that looks at the All MAC performers from last year or even one that looks at each team's starters as a point of comparison. That type of article might help us better understand what to really think about this article.

Want to understand how good a recruiting class is? Watch to see how many games they win. Today, we don't really know how good the class is. In four years, we will. I'm more interested in why fans get so caught up in recruiting more than I am the players themselves.

There is an old saying. Garbage in....garbage out. If these recruiting rating services are indeed highly flawed, then why do we care about what they say? I don't care where they come from, who coaches them, who recruited them or anything else other than winning.

I would love to see an article written similar to this one lookin at recruit in classes four years ago or one that looks at the All MAC performers from last year or even one that looks at each team's starters as a point of comparison. That type of article might help us better understand what to really think about this article.

That would be interesting reading. Here is a study I would like to see. In the past ten years in the MAC, following a coaching change, how many coaches won the MAC in their first two years? Of those coaches, how many frosh, sophs, jrs and srs were starting on the team (lump juco players recruited by that coach in with frosh and soph numbers). Miami won last year with frosh and sphs on the field.

We talk about it all the time. The MAC is the kind of league the Zips could win in the next couple of years if they just get some good players and don't shoot themselves in the foot. That's all Miami did last year. I don't follow it closely enough, but I believe Miami didn't have what were looked at as great recruiting classes. If they can do it, we can do it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another possible walk-on for 2011.

New Belpre graduate Erik Waderker, 17, said his plans will take him to the University of Akron, but beyond that things weren't as clear.

"I chose Akron for sports. I'm going to play football," he said. "Beyond that, I don't know... I know I'm going to miss all my friends here (at Belpre), though."

• 4 weeks later...
Hammy keeps Rossi out of Big 33

It still sounds like he'll be evaluated at H-back first and foremost here.

"They said that because I have had some trouble with it and it's a recurring thing, there is a good possibility that it could pull again and even tear," Rossi said in a phone interview."

Great....

Anyone else see a redshirt resulting from this injury?

While Rossi had to sit out the Big 33, Tyler Williams tore it up, rushing for over 100 yards.

PD coverage with some nice things to say about Williams. He's really played well in these all-star games. His quickness appears to standout in particular, but it's also nice to hear about his ability to catch the ball downfield. I'm excited to see him in the fall. I think we may have found our punt returner for the next 4 years. :thumb:

While Rossi had to sit out the Big 33, Tyler Williams tore it up, rushing for over 100 yards.

PD coverage with some nice things to say about Williams. He's really played well in these all-star games. His quickness appears to standout in particular, but it's also nice to hear about his ability to catch the ball downfield. I'm excited to see him in the fall. I think we may have found our punt returner for the next 4 years. :thumb:

This kid is going to tear apart MAC defenses. He looks like Peter Warrick when he was at FSU except he is way faster.