The Late Timeouts

skip-zip

Since Kangaroo brought this up, I thought it was interesting enough to get its own thead?

Did anyone else listen to the postgame radio show? If I am not mistaken, I think our coach hinted that all of the late timeout calls were because OUs coach was not taking his starters out of the game.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on this? Could a little friction between the coaches add to this building rivalry?

Since Kangaroo brought this up, I thought it was interesting enough to get its own thead?

Did anyone else listen to the postgame radio show? If I am not mistaken, I think our coach hinted that all of the late timeout calls were because OUs coach was not taking his starters out of the game.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on this? Could a little friction between the coaches add to this building rivalry?

The 5' 2" OU kid that was on the court at game's end was not a starter.

It's not an argument. I'm wondering if someone else heard the comments during the radio interview.

His explanation in his post game press conference seemed legit: He said he wanted the team to dwell on what it's like to be on the short end of a 25-point loss rather than think about running off the court and to the bus as quickly as possible. He's clearly wanting to instill anger in them in case they face OU again in the tournament.

It's not an argument. I'm wondering if someone else heard the comments during the radio interview.

His explanation in his post game press conference seemed legit: He said he wanted the team to dwell on what it's like to be on the short end of a 25-point loss rather than think about running off the court and to the bus as quickly as possible. He's clearly wanting to instill anger in them in case they face OU again in the tournament.

His team should have had some anger in them already from the loss in the MACC last year or at least the embarrassment at home in January.

I think what he is referencing is after Dambrot mentioned the timeouts for making his players look at the scoreboard and feel it more...He added that he wanted to make sure Tommy Freeman didn't get hurt again and they could get him out of the game. He then said something else then said he was kidding about Freeman. I'm not real sure what he was getting at...Perhaps a jab that Groce did not take the starters out of the game until very late, perhaps a jab at Tommy Freeman and his reputation of being a flopper, perhaps something else. I think there was definitely something to it.

I think what he is referencing is after Dambrot mentioned the timeouts for making his players look at the scoreboard and feel it more...He added that he wanted to make sure Tommy Freeman didn't get hurt again and they could get him out of the game. He then said something else then said he was kidding about Freeman. I'm not real sure what he was getting at...Perhaps a jab that Groce did not take the starters out of the game until very late, perhaps a jab at Tommy Freeman and his reputation of being a flopper, perhaps something else. I think there was definitely something to it.

I think all three of the reasons were legitimate. Freeman is as big of a flopper as there is in the MAC, Groce had his starters in when the game was well in hand, and I would really hope he made sure our players remembered that scoreboard...that was EMBARRASSING.

As far as Groce leaving his starters in though, I can't really blame him considering the monster lead they blew just a few nights prior. I would have done nearly the same thing.

That's it !! I was waiting for someone who listened to the radio interview, and may have heard the same thing that I heard. I think he said that he wanted to remind "coach" to get Freeman out of there, and I took all of it as a jab about them having key players in there pretty late in a big blowout.

I like what KD did for a couple of reasons.

First, running the players to death after a loss this time a year is unproductive so you have to find a way to rub their noses in crap a little after a loss. Rubbing their noses in crap DURING a loss is even better.

Second, a coach being a little unpredictable to his players is good as well. Everyone lets the clock run out at the end of games these days. I watched a team give up the other night with 60 seconds to go and down only 9. Allowing the players to think the old guy at the end of the bench might be just a little crazy because of calling TOs is good for the players as well. There should be a feeling of confidence backed up by a little nervousness this time of year. A bad game is a bad game and the team overall is playing well so they should feel some confidence going into Friday and then next week. What KD did may make them nervous. It's good for them right now to think the old guy might just be a little crazy. Charlie Coles has done it for years and it works well for him.

I like what KD did for a couple of reasons.

First, running the players to death after a loss this time a year is unproductive so you have to find a way to rub their noses in crap a little after a loss. Rubbing their noses in crap DURING a loss is even better.

Second, a coach being a little unpredictable to his players is good as well. Everyone lets the clock run out at the end of games these days. I watched a team give up the other night with 60 seconds to go and down only 9. Allowing the players to think the old guy at the end of the bench might be just a little crazy because of calling TOs is good for the players as well. There should be a feeling of confidence backed up by a little nervousness this time of year. A bad game is a bad game and the team overall is playing well so they should feel some confidence going into Friday and then next week. What KD did may make them nervous. It's good for them right now to think the old guy might just be a little crazy. Charlie Coles has done it for years and it works well for him.

Good points.

First, running the players to death after a loss this time a year is unproductive so you have to find a way to rub their noses in crap a little after a loss.
Herb Brooks just rolled over in his grave.

Mental abuse is worse than physical abuse this time of year. A good night of sleep gets you over a hard day of running this late in the season because the players are in great shape so they are not harmed by the running. Standing in the huddle with the OU fans laughing at you for three TOs is worse than a day of running.

Tuesday was one of those "throw the tape away" games. It happened...move on to Can't.

First, running the players to death after a loss this time a year is unproductive so you have to find a way to rub their noses in crap a little after a loss.

:lol:

We play on Friday, and don't play again until Tuesday...at the earliest !! Adding a little extra "conditioning" during this stretch won't hurt. I'd just recommend not doing it a week from now.

We play on Friday, and don't play again until Tuesday...at the earliest !! Adding a little extra "conditioning" during this stretch won't hurt. I'd just recommend not doing it a week from now.

What purpose would it serve? It's sort of like yelling at a player this time of year. If you have to yell at a player at this point in the season, you have the wrong player on the floor.

I'm all for yelling early in the season or training camp if it can serve a purpose. I'm all for running a team into the ground early in the season or training camp if it serves a purpose. Now isn't the time. There are a lot worse things you can do to a player to motivate them other than yelling and running.