What a Zip is

Flash

Well I'll be damned..

A nice intern (an Akron undergrad) in our office by the name of Rebecca actually took time this afternoon to research and tell me where the "Zips" team name actually originated.

Our discussion started as one the typical "What's a Zip?" "Whats a Flash?" kind of teasing until we both had to do research to figure out how our respective universities settled on, lets face it, not so common mascots.

If any die-hard on this board knows the TRUE origination of the Zips name I'll be duly impressed.

"Zip", short for "zipper," a rubber overshoe that was produced by the B.F. Goodrich company. Kangaroo was added later as a mascot. Is this not the true story? That is what I have always been told, and that is what I always tell others

Thats the way of it. I just surprised me because of its uncommon nature.

"Zip", short for "zipper," a rubber overshoe that was produced by the B.F. Goodrich company. Kangaroo was added later as a mascot. Is this not the true story? That is what I have always been told, and that is what I always tell others

That's what I've always heard too. Now that we've shown we know our origins, what exactly is a fl@sh??

That's what I've always heard too. Now that we've shown we know our origins, what exactly is a fl@sh??

From their website:

Can't State University has had several mascot characters over the years, including:

Silver Foxes - Named in honor of President McGilvrey, who had a silver fox ranch for a time.

Golden Flashes - Name submitted and selected in a contest in 1926 by a Can't State student. Winner received $25.00 prize. Subsequently perpetuated by Oliver Wolcott of the Can't Courier Tribune.

Flasher - In 1951, a golden retriever was adopted as team mascot.

Grog - In 1966, the cartoon character was recreated in paper hair and plaster. Remained on the scene until 1971.

Golden Flasher - A golden palomino horse and masked rider in blue and gold, 1972 and 1973 seasons.

Golden Flash - A masked figure with lightening bolts in each hand, 1973-1975.

Flash - Our present mascot, a golden eagle. In 2003, the Flash mascot was named a National Cheerleading Association All-American.

Also, this wasn't on there, but two years ago they unveiled a new mascot at as basketball game. This thing looked like a Native-American owl. The students hated it so it never saw daylight again, I think

Can't read, can't write, can't make up your mind about what you want your mascot to be

Great question, the history has many twist and turns.

The name was first suggested in the 1920's by students, it replaced the animal that an early Can't State president raised on his farm...Silver Foxes. The Flash was represented by many things like a Golden Retriever, a Thor-like man with lightening bolts in his hands riding a noble steed.

Then in 1985, the Golden Eagle flew in for the rescue.

Boston College athletics, at the time, were called the "Golden Eagles" and instead of a name change K.e.nt decided to retain the original name with an appropriate mascot.

Since that time, the golden eagle has been the official bird mascot of the "Golden Flashes"

0rgkb41j.jpg

Welcome to the 20th century. :thumb:

More importantly, did someone throw a switch on the forum software so that it no longer translates f l a s h into f l u s h, or did forum member F l a s h figure out a way to cheat the system without putting spaces between the letters?

Or could it be when you have a punctuation mark after the word that it doesn't change the a to u in flash?

Bingo!

More importantly, did someone throw a switch on the forum software so that it no longer translates f l a s h into f l u s h, or did forum member F l a s h figure out a way to cheat the system without putting spaces between the letters?
Shut off so that ZN members can now insert flash video into your post without issue. How to

PS Bleacher Bum, your post made me laugh. :D

Well I'll be damned..

A nice intern (an Akron undergrad) in our office by the name of Rebecca actually took time this afternoon to research and tell me where the "Zips" team name actually originated.

Our discussion started as one the typical "What's a Zip?" "Whats a Flash?" kind of teasing until we both had to do research to figure out how our respective universities settled on, lets face it, not so common mascots.

If any die-hard on this board knows the TRUE origination of the Zips name I'll be duly impressed.

You are on the Akron Fan Message Board. Everyone here knows the origin of the Zips name.

Do you really have nothing to do but post on a Zips message board, and tease a Zips intern?

Cease with the high school stuff here. No one has time for it.

You are on the Akron Fan Message Board. Everyone here knows the origin of the Zips name.

Do you really have nothing to do but post on a Zips message board, and tease a Zips intern?

Cease with the high school stuff here. No one has time for it.

Take it easy Captain, breath.

For some reason I thought it was unique and the intern and I were just joking around, nobody was ganging up on anyone else.

This was a conversation post.

From their website:

Can't State University has had several mascot characters over the years, including:

Silver Foxes - Named in honor of President McGilvrey, who had a silver fox ranch for a time.

Golden Flashes - Name submitted and selected in a contest in 1926 by a Can't State student. Winner received $25.00 prize. Subsequently perpetuated by Oliver Wolcott of the Can't Courier Tribune.

Flasher - In 1951, a golden retriever was adopted as team mascot.

Grog - In 1966, the cartoon character was recreated in paper hair and plaster. Remained on the scene until 1971.

Golden Flasher - A golden palomino horse and masked rider in blue and gold, 1972 and 1973 seasons.

Golden Flash - A masked figure with lightening bolts in each hand, 1973-1975.

Flash - Our present mascot, a golden eagle. In 2003, the Flash mascot was named a National Cheerleading Association All-American.

Also, this wasn't on there, but two years ago they unveiled a new mascot at as basketball game. This thing looked like a Native-American owl. The students hated it so it never saw daylight again, I think

Can't read, can't write, can't make up your mind about what you want your mascot to be

How in the world did I miss out on THAT one? :P Are you sure that wasn't just Jack Lambert in drag?