VCU at Akron on December 29th, 2011

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of Nik bringing up the ball, i have no problem with it. I know they had him playing guard in the FIFA games so obviously hes gotta have some type of ball dribbling skills. The problem i had was the 3 point shots he kept attempting. im sorry thats just not his game. Attempting 1 is ok with me but when he put up i believe 5, 3 of which were wide open there i have the problem.

I need to look at the box score, but it felt like they really cleaned up on the offensive boards.

Akron was out-rebounding VCU 20-12 at the half. VCU got back into the game by hitting the boards much harder in the second half, grabbing 24 to Akron's 15 and winning the overall rebounding for the game 36-35. 15 of those were on the offensive glass.

The rebounding and subsequent fouling were what really got VCU back from that 12 point deficit in the second half. Akron had ample opportunity to put away VCU but we hung around and did what good teams do, win games when nothing is going for you.

It was easily the most exciting game we've played since we beat Florida State by 1 point in OT in the Sweet Sixteen in March. So impressed with both squads!

Here is the last minute that one of our fans recorded:

It looks like Nitro left his man to double Burgess and that was the ballgame. If he had stuck with his guy, Burgess would have had to force up a shot over Zeke.

Look again. Burgess was being guarded by Nik, not Zeke. And it looks like Diggs and Brett simply just got caught in a bad miscommunication on a switch. Zeke was over on the left side guarding his man.

I don't know. I hate to look at one play, but I wish that maybe we had played this like we played the last few seconds of the Ken+ game in Cleveland last year. Put Zeke right under the basket, and make sure that the only way they could beat us was with a jump shot from 15 ft. or more.

These comments are starting to get maddening...switch coaches? Inability to win games? These are ridiculous statements. KD has given us wins against Mississippi State (2), Florida State (1), 5 straight MACC appearances, we have gone to 2 NCAA tournaments in the past three years, yet we keep reloading and the team progresses further and further along every year. before Keith the last time we were to the NCAA's was in what '86?

Losses to Valpo...we were out shot from the free throw line by over 25 attempts and only lost by 2. Duquesne...we lost Rico and Walsh early to injury. We have one true point guard on the team...everyone knows that if Rico can't go the team can't go...the point guard is the facilitator of the offense and only having one true PG causes for some issues, especially since he has been injured.

Keith has done an outstanding job with the program..yes we have had some hiccups along the way but that is why we play a full season to watch the growth to watch the progress. Progress this year has been slowed because of injuries and suspensions. KD has placed his players on suspension because he runs a tight ship. Not many coaches out there are willing to do this...he is which is why I respect him as a man and as a coach. He knows it's a long season and he knows that the early trials and tribulations will pay off at the end of the year.

Stop making sense spicy one. It can't be tolerated by many here.

My statement was ridiculous? Let's see.. losses over the past few years: VCU (3 times), Dayton (3 times), CSU (2 times), RI (2 times),Temple (-35), NC state (-21), Pitt (-21), Minne, Miami, FL, Texas A&M and this year WV (-21), and freaking Middle Tenn by 24. I think these few examples show my point is far from ridiculous. The pessimist in me could also use your example to say that KD has lost more MAC championships than he has won. Like I said, I love having KD as our coach, especially your point about how he runs the program, but we have to start consisently beating even other mid majors before even being in the national conversation.

That's the problem. Too many of you would rather look at the negatives than the positives. The program has made tremendous strides. We've had our shares of wins and losses. Coaches have made mistakes, players have made mistakes and we've lost some games we should have won and vice versa. I would much rather look at the program as a whole and see the progress we are making then pick-a-part what KD has done. The accomplishments he, his staff and his players have had are not something to write off but something to be proud of. It's not like the football "progrum" where we have been mediocre at best. MBB has clearly gotten better every year under KD. The record may not show it, althought 6 straight 20 win seasons is not something to take lightly. The signs are there, the talent is there and the right coach is there.

Enjoy the ride instead of always trying to throw nails under the tires.

These comments are starting to get maddening...switch coaches? Inability to win games? These are ridiculous statements. KD has given us wins against Mississippi State (2), Florida State (1), 5 straight MACC appearances, we have gone to 2 NCAA tournaments in the past three years, yet we keep reloading and the team progresses further and further along every year. before Keith the last time we were to the NCAA's was in what '86?

Losses to Valpo...we were out shot from the free throw line by over 25 attempts and only lost by 2. Duquesne...we lost Rico and Walsh early to injury. We have one true point guard on the team...everyone knows that if Rico can't go the team can't go...the point guard is the facilitator of the offense and only having one true PG causes for some issues, especially since he has been injured.

Keith has done an outstanding job with the program..yes we have had some hiccups along the way but that is why we play a full season to watch the growth to watch the progress. Progress this year has been slowed because of injuries and suspensions. KD has placed his players on suspension because he runs a tight ship. Not many coaches out there are willing to do this...he is which is why I respect him as a man and as a coach. He knows it's a long season and he knows that the early trials and tribulations will pay off at the end of the year.

My statement was ridiculous? Let's see.. losses over the past few years: VCU (3 times), Dayton (3 times), CSU (2 times), RI (2 times),Temple (-35), NC state (-21), Pitt (-21), Minne, Miami, FL, Texas A&M and this year WV (-21), and freaking Middle Tenn by 24. I think these few examples show my point is far from ridiculous. The pessimist in me could also use your example to say that KD has lost more MAC championships than he has won. Like I said, I love having KD as our coach, especially your point about how he runs the program, but we have to start consisently beating even other mid majors before even being in the national conversation.

And if we did that and didn't win the national championship, then you'd be upset. Some people are never happy. :rolleyes:

A well-run mid major program that wins the vast majority of their games, including advancing to the conference championship for a record number of years isn't enough? Come on.

And if we did that and didn't win the national championship, then you'd be upset. Some people are never happy. :rolleyes:

A well-run mid major program that wins the vast majority of their games, including advancing to the conference championship for a record number of years isn't enough? Come on.

You have to respect the point of view from someone who says that we are not progressing. Because it's very valid. We won 26 games 5 years ago, and have not reached that point since, and have struggled at times to even reach 20 wins. Winning 20 games is great. But, I'm sure most of us just want to see us get to the next level, and it's not happening, and that can be frustrating to fans that have raised their expectations since that 2006 season.

You have to respect the point of view from someone who says that we are not progressing. Because it's very valid. We won 26 games 5 years ago, and have not reached that point since, and have struggled at times to even reach 20 wins. Winning 20 games is great. But, I'm sure most of us just want to see us get to the next level, and it's not happening, and that can be frustrating to fans that have raised their expectations since that 2006 season.

I don't have to respect the point of view if it's pessimistic and foolish, which I think this is.

Go Zips!

Everyone is free to look at this team however they like. I for one, choose to be realistic and see the good with the bad. You don't get better by sitting around talking about all the success you have had. You get better by fixing what is wrong. Listening to KD speak over the past years, I think I'd be safe in saying that he would agree with that. Winners focus on getting better, and 99% of the time that comes from fixing what is wrong.

Yes, the good times have outweighed the negatives, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been without its bumps. Being realistic isn't being negative or unhappy. I've sat through hundreds of games and road trips through the past 30+ years, and KD is the best we have had. He has elevated this program to where it never has been, and hopefully will continue to raise it up. And that is coming from a huge Huggy fan.

Everyone is free to look at this team however they like. I for one, choose to be realistic and see the good with the bad. You don't get better by sitting around talking about all the success you have had. You get better by fixing what is wrong. Listening to KD speak over the past years, I think I'd be safe in saying that he would agree with that. Winners focus on getting better, and 99% of the time that comes from fixing what is wrong.

Yes, the good times have outweighed the negatives, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been without its bumps. Being realistic isn't being negative or unhappy. I've sat through hundreds of games and road trips through the past 30+ years, and KD is the best we have had. He has elevated this program to where it never has been, and hopefully will continue to raise it up. And that is coming from a huge Huggy fan.

good post

I don't have to respect the point of view if it's pessimistic and foolish, which I think this is.

Go Zips!

Please explain what is foolish? What I have posted are facts. Skip Zip added points that I hadn't brought up, and he is 100% correct about the raised expectations. Some people call it pessimism, others call it realistic. I'm happy for you that you are content with winning a few MAC titles and losing in the 1st round pf the tourney.

Please explain what is foolish? What I have posted are facts. Skip Zip added points that I hadn't brought up, and he is 100% correct about the raised expectations. Some people call it pessimism, others call it realistic. I'm happy for you that you are content with winning a few MAC titles and losing in the 1st round pf the tourney.

I think we are all ready for the next step which is winning a game or two in the NCAA. Even KD has come out and said that. All of us are looking for that to happen this year or next. That would be a valid sign of progression which is something we are all looking for in this conversation.

Go Zips!

Exactly.

I guess it depends on what your "goal" as a fan is. My goal is to be like Ken+ and go to the sweet 16, or be like VCU and reach the final four. If a fan is satisfied with winning 20+ games a year and going nowhere in the tournament, that's fine. That's not what I'm satisfied with. Why is it wrong to want more? I don't get it.

I guess it depends on what your "goal" as a fan is. My goal is to be like Ken+ and go to the sweet 16, or be like VCU and reach the final four. If a fan is satisfied with winning 20+ games a year and going nowhere in the tournament, that's fine. That's not what I'm satisfied with. Why is it wrong to want more? I don't get it.

Ken+ went to the Elite 8 for what it's worth. There are some valid questions here and every healthy fan base has a balance between those who think everything is going great as is, and those who demand more. The presence of both groups is a good thing, it means people are paying attention and care about the program.

Exactly, Nitro was a couple of steps late

I'm not blaming Nitro for the loss. It was just one play.

I still think the #1 problem this team has to overcome, is turnovers. Last night there was a stretch in the second half where we turned it over at an alarming rate. We had a 10 point lead and we were able to maintain it because we made some good stops on defense. If we hadn't thrown the ball away on silly mistakes on in bounds plays and lazy ball handling we could have extended our lead. Instead of our opponent having to make up a 9 point deficit like last night, it should have been a 20 point lead if we take care of the ball.

Go Zips!

I don't think the high praise for Dambrot here is either unwarranted or settling for anything. The coaching job he did last year to get a MAC title after the horrendous start was arguably the greatest in school history. This year's team is missing three key guys from a year ago and trying to integrate several new faces, all the while facing some stupid and critical suspensions and an injury to one of the guys we absolutely need to be healthy. The VCU loss sucks, but at least we now know Abreu can be close to 100-percent from here on out. So even if the OOC record is disappointing, which it is, I think we have a lot of reason for optimism entering MAC play. Mostly because A) we have talent on this roster as good as anyone else's, and B) Keith Dambrot is the coach.

P.S. As far as settling for MAC titles, I'll take a MAC title any time! It's virtually the only way we're going to get in the NCAAs. And keep in mind that a MAC team that can make noise in the NCAA tournament is a pretty rare achievement, mostly because of crappy seeds. The lowest seed for a MAC school since 1980 is 9, twice. (Can't was a 10 in 2002). So, not surprisingly, since 1980, a MAC school has won a tournament first-round game only 12 times in 32 tries. Only four of those 12 teams won twice to reached the Sweet 16. One, Can't, won three to reach the Elite 8 in 2002. Those aren't exactly what I would call great odds for any MAC champion.