The Ohio Bobcats: Our Biggest Threat?

UAZip0510

Bobkitties get their second loss of the season, losing in Athens to Robert Morris, 70-67.

Just imagine, a single 3-pointer could have tied the game. So what did the Kitties shoot from 3-point land? How about 3 for 26 (11.5%).

Bottom line is that only the absolutely worst 3-point shooting in history caused them to lose by 3 points. They were outrebounded 38-21 on top of that. They're still a tough matchup.

OU improves to 12-1 with a 71-63 win over now 3-10 Kennishaw State

I want to offer my apologies! This team is for real NOW! They beat a TOUGH team by 8 points!

I'm surprised Kennishaw State isn't ranked yet with those 3 wins!!!

Final Four match-up in March baby!

Dude, didn't OU blast Akron twice last year?

I had almost forgotten about that. We'll find out in a couple of weeks if that carried over to this year.

I'm sure every Zips fan thanked our lucky stars when they got knocked out of the MAC tourney before we would have had to play them.

If we beat Can't or OU twice in the regular season this year, I don't want to see them in the MAC Tourney. Any idea how hard it is to be a good team three times in one year? I'm sure OU fans were thinking the same thing about us last season.

Bobkitties get their second loss of the season, losing in Athens to Robert Morris, 70-67.

Just imagine, a single 3-pointer could have tied the game. So what did the Kitties shoot from 3-point land? How about 3 for 26 (11.5%).

Bottom line is that only the absolutely worst 3-point shooting in history caused them to lose by 3 points. They were outrebounded 38-21 on top of that. They're still a tough matchup.

It's still good news to see them lose to a team like RMU.

However, they also had some bad losses last year around the time they came and humiliated us in the JAR.

It will indeed be interesting to see how we match up against Cooper this time around. We might have to try to get some size on him with Diggs or Gilliam.

The RMU game highlights what I've been saying all along about the Bobkittens. They are as over-rated a team as the MAC has seen in years. Grant you, RMU is a pretty good team, but OU was supposed to start getting top-25 consideration before too long here. They lost last night for a couple of reasons. The first was already pointed out, 3-26 from 3 simply will not get it done for a team that is as reliant on the 3 ball as the bobkitties. Second, and just as importantly, they lost the rebounding battle 38-21. Think about that. RMU nearly doubled them up on the glass. RMU did this with only one player over 6'7" receiving any playing time. In fact, 6'0" guard Velton Jones and 6'2" guard Coron Williams combined for as many rebounds (16) as all of the Bobkitties frontcourt players combined (Baltic, Offutt, Kelley, Jon Smith, T.J. Hall and TyQuan Goard). I won't even get into the fact that the bobkitties lost that game despite forcing an unbelievable 31 turnovers from RMU.

OU is quickly going to be exposed for what they are over the next few weeks. A team with a few quality guards that relies way too heavily on the 3 ball and is woefully undersized and not very deep in the frontcourt.

The RMU game highlights what I've been saying all along about the Bobkittens. They are as over-rated a team as the MAC has seen in years. Grant you, RMU is a pretty good team, but OU was supposed to start getting top-25 consideration before too long here. They lost last night for a couple of reasons. The first was already pointed out, 3-26 from 3 simply will not get it done for a team that is as reliant on the 3 ball as the bobkitties. Second, and just as importantly, they lost the rebounding battle 38-21. Think about that. RMU nearly doubled them up on the glass. RMU did this with only one player over 6'7" receiving any playing time. In fact, 6'0" guard Velton Jones and 6'2" guard Coron Williams combined for as many rebounds (16) as all of the Bobkitties frontcourt players combined (Baltic, Offutt, Kelley, Jon Smith, T.J. Hall and TyQuan Goard). I won't even get into the fact that the bobkitties lost that game despite forcing an unbelievable 31 turnovers from RMU.

OU is quickly going to be exposed for what they are over the next few weeks. A team with a few quality guards that relies way too heavily on the 3 ball and is woefully undersized and not very deep in the frontcourt.

There you go, that's the stuff! Overrated is a matter of opinion but the loss to RMU doesn't expose OU as a fraud, however I do applaud your lack of confidence in their abilities. RMU is a really good team, they're 11-4 with a 71 RPI and have been to the Tourney the past 2 years, losing on a shot at the buzzer isn't the end of the world. As you can see by the odd stats the game had a weird flow. It seemed like every RMU shot that bounced on the rim fell in and every OU shot that hit the rim bounced out and found an RMU player's waiting hands. It reminded me of the OU/Akron game last year in Athens- The Zips couldn't buy a bucket and Cooper couldn't miss even when chuckin up 3s from the concession stands (as he is known to do). It was just one of those nights.

I've watched too many MAC games to every say with certainty which team will win on any given night but I will say that this is the best Bobcat team to take the floor since the days of Trent. They're fast, deep, can shoot, and have finally learned the value of playing defense (currently #1 in the nation in turning over opponents). Cooper and company love getting up for the Akron game, with this one being on TV you know they're going to bring it. I have no doubt the Zips plan on bringing it too. Set your DVRs, this could be a really fun one.

Cooper and company love getting up for the Akron game, with this one being on TV you know they're going to bring it.

Very true. Last season, the Zips didn't come close to matching OU's intensity. OU approached the games like the Zips typically approaches K.e.n.t.

The Zips need to develop some of the bad-ass swagger that OU, albeit inconsistently, brings to the table.

I'm with you, CK. If the Zips don't show up with an attitude against the Bobkitties, I am going to be terribly disappointed. OU has joined Can't as being perceived by the national media as the cream of MAC basketball. The Zips no longer have the luxury of focusing exclusively on the Golden Felons as the only MAC team that stands between them and national prominence.

There you go, that's the stuff! Overrated is a matter of opinion but the loss to RMU doesn't expose OU as a fraud, however I do applaud your lack of confidence in their abilities. RMU is a really good team, they're 11-4 with a 71 RPI and have been to the Tourney the past 2 years, losing on a shot at the buzzer isn't the end of the world. As you can see by the odd stats the game had a weird flow. It seemed like every RMU shot that bounced on the rim fell in and every OU shot that hit the rim bounced out and found an RMU player's waiting hands. It reminded me of the OU/Akron game last year in Athens- The Zips couldn't buy a bucket and Cooper couldn't miss even when chuckin up 3s from the concession stands (as he is known to do). It was just one of those nights.

I've watched too many MAC games to every say with certainty which team will win on any given night but I will say that this is the best Bobcat team to take the floor since the days of Trent. They're fast, deep, can shoot, and have finally learned the value of playing defense (currently #1 in the nation in turning over opponents). Cooper and company love getting up for the Akron game, with this one being on TV you know they're going to bring it. I have no doubt the Zips plan on bringing it too. Set your DVRs, this could be a really fun one.

RMU was not in the tournament last year.

Regardless...RMU is a quality program. If OU was on from distance it would have been a blowout despite the rebounding edge...

I would imagine the difference in rebounding might be attributed to the huge number of missed 3 pointers. Looking at the amount of boards the RMU guards pulled down, I could see many of them being long rebounds off of missed 3's. If OU hits more 3's, the rebounding edge would have been much closer I believe.

• 1 month later...
I think this needs to be re-visited. This isn't an instant reaction either - we just haven't matched up well with them in recent memory. They've now won 4 of our last 5 matchups. I don't think they are a better overall team, but I don't think they're a good matchup for us.

Yeah, they recognize big games and play with heart...that's a bad matchup for anyone.