Northwestern game thread

bUAkronG

It was a fun season to watch. Went to 5 games this year after being absent since I was a student. There were some heartbreaking losses and a certain amount of missed opportunities, but some real high spots as well. Looking forward to watching the team next year and I sure do hope to see some of you in lot 9 this fall also!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was 100% designed to give to Zeke then hand off for the three. We've ran that play several times this season. We tried for the win...which i normally wouldn't be against, but this situation warranted going strong to Zeke for the tie or maybe a three-point game winning play.

Is that something you want to rely on with the game on the line?

You're not taking into account the fact that Northwestern spent that entire last timeout devising a defense to keep Akron from throwing it inside.

Unless they found a way to create a machine that could make that short white kid 7 foot tall, there wasn't anything they could do to stop us if we did what we should have done.

You're not taking into account the fact that Northwestern spent that entire last timeout devising a defense to keep Akron from throwing it inside.

That just helps make the point that Dambrot is not good at inbounds plays. He knew that as well and couldn't draw something up better than that garbage.

Is that something you want to rely on with the game on the line?

Yes....especially when he's shown he could do it tonight. He played with the most fire i've ever seen in him tonight. Zeke had the extra step and the extra muscle tonight, he's our team leader and the one who should get the ball there.

Let's not forget that AA was playing with 4 fouls, and the propect of losing him to his 5th in OT may have also played into the decision to go for the win.

Good luck against their traps without him!

You are right.

Let's not forget that AA was playing with 4 fouls, and the propect of losing him to his 5th in OT may have also played into the decision to go for the win.

Agree 100%. I have zero problem with going for the "W" there.

Again, they had two open looks from three to end the game. Neither fell. That's just how it goes sometimes.

I'm focused on the fact that this Zips team showed a lot of heart coming back from a deep deficit against a very good team on the road and fell just short.

KD and the Zips performed better on Northwestern's homecourt tonight than Tom Izzo and Michigan State did a few weeks ago.

I'm proud to be a Zips fan and KD supporter tonight.

I'm focused on the fact that this Zips team showed a lot of heart coming back from a deep deficit against a very good team on the road and fell just short.

KD and the Zips performed better on Northwestern's homecourt tonight than Tom Izzo and Michigan State did a few weeks ago.

Agreed there. After watching the 1st half, I was worried that they'd lose this one by 20. They kept fighting and fighting though. Definitely a good sign heading into 2012-2013.

DITTO! I AGREE! I CONCUR! +1000...like I said in an earlier post...they should all hold their head up...they brought UA their FIRST EVER REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONSHIP...the FIRST EVER 13-1 MAC start....the DPOY and the 6TH MOY....not to mention another 20+ year season and at the end of the day..after hearing about Syracuse and FAB MELO...some VERY INTELLIGENT, HOLDING IT DOWN IN THE CLASSROOM student athletes!!!! I'm proud of this team, the staff and the TRUE BLUE ZIP FANS!!! CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!! Hold your head up HIGH...

Nope. KD said in the postgame that we had drawn up a 2-point play, but it just wasn't there.

People do understand how much of a veteran team Northwestern is and how young we are, right? And they only beat us by two on their floor.

We're not losing anyone really, except for Cvetinovic, who we'll miss in MAC regular season play, but not much when it comes to non-conference play.

A lot of heartbreaker losses this year may be a good thing for this squad, other than the seniors obviously. Other than the Ohio, Middle Tennessee State, and West Virginia losses, were we blown out? I don't think so...This team will learn from those close losses.

NCAA committee made a strong point that non-conference SOS is critical. With Creighton, Cleveland State, Middle Tennessee State, Marshall, Detroit(i think?), the Puerto Rico Tip-off(Akron, Xavier, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Penn State, Oklahoma State, Providence, and NC State), we should be able to pick up some quality non-conference wins, and maybe even add a couple to it still...

People do understand how much of a veteran team Northwestern is and how young we are, right? And they only beat us by two on their floor.

We're not losing anyone really, except for Cvetinovic, who we'll miss in MAC regular season play, but not much when it comes to non-conference play.

A lot of heartbreaker losses this year may be a good thing for this squad, other than the seniors obviously. Other than the Ohio, Middle Tennessee State, and West Virginia losses, were we blown out? I don't think so...This team will learn from those close losses.

NCAA committee made a strong point that non-conference SOS is critical. With Creighton, Cleveland State, Middle Tennessee State, Marshall, Detroit(i think?), the Puerto Rico Tip-off(Akron, Xavier, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Penn State, Oklahoma State, Providence, and NC State), we should be able to pick up some quality non-conference wins, and maybe even add a couple to it still...

Exactly. Joe Lunardi had Northwestern penciled in as an at-large until they got upset in the NCAA Tournament. That's a pretty good team.

count me as one of the people who were not impressed with how the play unfolded. How two of our biggest guys can't get the ball when NW doesn't have anyone on them thats even close to their height is beyond me. Get the ball to them, let them make the play, and maybe we get lucky and draw a foul. Going for the 3 is great, but I just feel we would have been better served getting it to our bigs

count me as one of the people who were not impressed with how the play unfolded. How two of our biggest guys can't get the ball when NW doesn't have anyone on them thats even close to their height is beyond me. Get the ball to them, let them make the play, and maybe we get lucky and draw a foul. Going for the 3 is great, but I just feel we would have been better served getting it to our bigs

yeah...and if we forced it inside even if they weren't opened and turned the ball over, then we would be all still blaming Dambrot...seesh...

People have to understand, it's so easy to turn the ball over there...just because Zeke is tallest player on court, doesn't mean the ball can get there...because the passer may not be able to see where the ball should be at because they're being guarded someone their size...it's easier to TV coach than to play in the game or coach on the sidelines...trust me on that...

I don't have a problem going for the win, I would have preferred if Q or Chauncey would have taken it. Although I wouldn't have minded an alley-op throw in.

There was nothing wrong with going for the win in the Zips' situation. 1. They were on the road. 2. It's not like it was a game they controlled. Northwestern basically lead throughout. In that situation, you go for the win. And the Zips (while it's debatable whether it was a good look) got the ball in the hands of their best player (and clutch 3-point shooter, IMO).

To me, the turning point was actually when the Zips took the lead in the second half, but then proceeded to turn the ball over three times in a row. If they would've been able to take control at that point, none of this would've mattered. That three-possession sequence allowed Northwestern to seize back the momentum, and again had the Zips, for the most part, playing catch-up down the stretch.

Overall, I can't complain. The Zips got beat by a rimmed-out basket on the road against a team that went 8-10 in the Big Ten (by far the strongest conference in the country this year). Plus, Northwestern is no slouch on their home court, especially with veteran players like they have. Just look at what they did there this year ... beat Michigan State by 7, lost to Ohio State by 2 (on a last second Sullinger basket), lost to Michigan in OT. They also lost by 1 against Illinois (when Illinois hadn't given up), lost by 2 against Purdue (another tourney team), and beat Penn State, Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa by double digits in that place. Overall, not bad company to keep.

I hate the loss, but this team showed heart. I haven't checked their boards, but I imagine the Northwestern fans who have followed that team all year are giving the Zips a lot of praise for how they performed tonight. They competed as well on that court as any Big Ten team did. ... And guess what, the Zips have more coming back than any of those Big Ten teams (I'm assuming Sullinger is gone at OSU).

I don't have a problem going for the win, I would have preferred if Q or Chauncey would have taken it. Although I wouldn't have minded an alley-op throw in.

Let me repeat. We did not decide to "go for the win", according to the radio postgame comments. We had drawn up a play, and it wasn't there.