Spring Football in Akron -

The Fire is out.

Now the owners of a potential Akron USFL team are looking for other name suggestions. I always thought the name Vulcans was awesome, in spite of the fate of that Continental Football League team. But the owners have ruled it out based on perception. I can't argue with that.

I'm not so sure it was rejected strictly because of the financial difficulties associated with the original Vulcans. I think the new league authorities are concerned that too many of the new Vulcans would use their mind-meld powers on opponents.

The CFL team was going to be called "Canton Bulldogs".

If we're going retro, I prefer the NFL's first champions, the Akron Pros.

Some modern names

Akron Attack

Akron Enforcers

Akron Avengers

Akron Aces (with a vintage fighter plane as the logo)

Akron Ambush

Akron Aviators

Some modern names

Akron Attack

Akron Enforcers

Akron Avengers

Akron Aces (with a vintage fighter plane as the logo)

Akron Ambush

Akron Aviators

Why look for a modern name when old themes can so easily be used? How about Akron Building Process? Feel free to suggest a team motto. Mine would be..."Playing football while pretending to get something done."

Akron Acupuncturists: We will stick it to you.

or Akron Proctologists: We stick it to you in the end

I vote for Zeppelins too. Right next to the zeppelin construction dock. Historic. Nice fit.

I vote for Zeppelins too. Right next to the zeppelin construction dock. Historic. Nice fit.

Zeppelins also would further tie the rust belt cities of Akron and Buffalo together. Let me explain:

Buffalo College Team = Buffalo Bulls

Buffalo Pro Team = Buffalo Bills

Akron College Team = Akron Zips

Akron Pro Team = Akron Zeps

In both rust belt cities, you would merely have to change one letter to go from the college nickname to the pro nickname. Toke on that a while, 'Meister! :D

With apologies to all who favor the name Zeppelin.

A zeppelin is a rigid airship manufactured by a particular company, the Luftschiffbau Zeppelin of Germany.

The term zeppelin is especially associated with the German airships that conducted bombing raids during World War I.

A blimp is a lighter-than-air vehicle whose shape is maintained by the pressure of the gases within its envelope. A blimp has no rigid internal structure.

The American naval ships USS Akron and USS Macon may also be referred to as zeppelins since they were built by the Goodyear-Zeppelin joint venture.

I admit, the Akron Blimps isn't quite as catchy as the Akron Zeppelins, Then again Blimps didn't drop bombs on any of my ancestors.

A zeppelin is a rigid airship manufactured by a particular company, the Luftschiffbau Zeppelin of Germany.

The term zeppelin is especially associated with the German airships that conducted bombing raids during World War I.

A blimp is a lighter-than-air vehicle whose shape is maintained by the pressure of the gases within its envelope. A blimp has no rigid internal structure.

The American naval ships USS Akron and USS Macon may also be referred to as zeppelins since they were built by the Goodyear-Zeppelin joint venture.

I admit, the Akron Blimps isn't quite as catchy as the Akron Zeppelins, Then again Blimps didn't drop bombs on any of my ancestors.

I'm digging the halftime possibilities!

1.jpg

Corsairs would be a well-connected Akron name. Thousands of Corsair fighter aircraft were built by Goodyear in the shadow of the Rubber Bowl during WWII, and the Corsair is generally recognized as the best US Navy fighter of the war. Corsair is also defined as a pirate or a swift pirate ship. Al Davis would have approved.

Agreed!

• 1 month later...

I was one who was really looking forward to this... I said rom the start it will NEVER happen. I guess I am a year away from that happening now. Is it weird that i really looked forward to returning to a football game at the Rubber Bowl?

Akron Airships?

Or would it look bad for players to say they were going to AA meetings? :tomato:

• 3 weeks later...

After Saturdays game I took a drive to the Rubber bowl and took some pictures. That place is in shambles! The entire press box windows have been shattered, there is debris thrown all about the seating bowl. Vandals have been running wild in there no doubt...plus the lower gate was wide open. I am going to say that there is NO WAY we will see football in that place ever again!

After Saturdays game I took a drive to the Rubber bowl and took some pictures. That place is in shambles! The entire press box windows have been shattered, there is debris thrown all about the seating bowl. Vandals have been running wild in there no doubt...plus the lower gate was wide open. I am going to say that there is NO WAY we will see football in that place ever again!

You should post some of your pics so that those who have not seen it in person can get some kind of an idea of how bad it is. I know I was shocked when I saw it back in August.

I would like to have permission to go in there and scavenge signage and memorabilia before they decide to tear it down.