Detroit Game Thread

zippy5

Why would you say that? We had Q for two full seasons prior to this one, and we still lost every similar-caliber game. Why would this year be different?

You are right. The difference is that KD has to leave guys in when they are hot. Tree was hot, should have played 40 minutes. Walsh was cold, needed to sit. I hope he does not have "nitro syndrome". One guy being unable to shoot all year was more than enough.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you say that? We had Q for two full seasons prior to this one, and we still lost every similar-caliber game. Why would this year be different?

Good question. He would raise the overall athletic ability of the team. We would score more transition points in lieu of trying to rely on our inept half court offense (if you want to call it that).

It's funny how a wife can cut through the crap sometimes and give us some reality. Last night, I was telling my wife how disappointed I was with the Zips play this year and how I thought they looked like poop (I didn't use the word poop) yesterday. She looked at me and said something to the effect that they looked like poop against CCU and if they still look like poop, maybe that's what they are this season. It was quite the subtle verbal slap in the face. What if she's right? She was also the person who called MAC football a couple of years ago, Dollar General and she was right about that at the time.

A couple of years ago, after the loss to Austin Peay to start the season, I started to think that this team, despite the amazing talent coming into it, was simply stalled and that KD is not moving it forward any more.

Today, I am totally convinced that this has been the case. The loss of Jeff Boals (and maybe Lamont Paris) two years ago, unfortunately, made this fact even more obvious.

On the other hand, when I think about what should be done, I can't claim that I have an answer. How can firing KD be the answer? It is not like Coach K, Pitino, or Calipari are waiting for a position to open up in Akron or anything.

Basically, Wistrscill is stuck in a tough position, two options:

1 - KD being the coach: bringing in amazing talent, far more than what our facilities and our gameday environment can normally get but can not develop it very well and cannot coach for a win during a game. You simply hope that the superior talent on your team will outweigh the other team's talent and get you the wins despite mediocre coaching.

2 - Fire KD: the new coach will bring in mediocre talent (what goes with what we have to offer) and "hopefully" be able to develop it and coach it up for enough wins.

Which one would you pick? as much as it hurts, I will still take option 1.

A couple of years ago, after the loss to Austin Peay to start the season, I started to think that this team, despite the amazing talent coming into it, was simply stalled and that KD is not moving it forward any more.

Today, I am totally convinced that this has been the case. The loss of Jeff Boals (and maybe Lamont Paris) two years ago, unfortunately, made this fact even more obvious.

On the other hand, when I think about what should be done, I can't claim that I have an answer. How can firing KD be the answer? It is not like Coach K, Pitino, or Calipari are waiting for a position to open up in Akron or anything.

Basically, Wistrscill is stuck in a tough position, two options:

1 - KD being the coach: bringing in amazing talent, far more than what our facilities and our gameday environment can normally get but can not develop it very well and cannot coach for a win during a game. You simply hope that the superior talent on your team will outweigh the other team's talent and get you the wins despite mediocre coaching.

2 - Fire KD: the new coach will bring in mediocre talent (what goes with what we have to offer) and "hopefully" be able to develop it and coach it up for enough wins.

Which one would you pick? as much as it hurts, I will still take option 1.

TW just gave him a contract extension. Termination isn't an option. He can't be forced to do anything because his job is so secure. If he has an ounce of self reflection, he will shake up his staff. Probably not the best solution, but the best we can expect.

It's still early in the season, but things don't seem right. This team hasn't won a road game and is .500. I don't think anyone saw this coming. Given the talent, I'm not giving up.

This team hasn't won a road game and is .500. I don't think anyone saw this coming. Given the talent, I'm not giving up.

Oh, you don't need to convince me that something is wrong. I was just justifying why KD got an extension and why he would have a job as long as he can bring talent in.

The sad thing is, fan support will continue to be crappy and the AD will keep sending me emails about cheaper and cheaper ticket promotions every week.

In the 5 seasons before KD took over as head coach, the Zips averaged a final season RPI ranking of #165, or 48th percentile of the 347 DI teams. In the 8 full seasons that he's been head coach, the Zips have averaged a final season RPI ranking of #81, or 23rd percentile. Last season the Zips finished with their best-ever final season RPI ranking of #60, or 17th percentile. So it's fair to say that KD took a program that was almost dead average in performance and moved it up a level, well into the top quarter of all DI teams. For that he deserves credit.

Under the category of what have you done for me lately, everyone agrees that this season has been a disappointment so far. It's certainly fair to question whether or not KD is capable of continuing to lead the Zips to an even higher level until he actually does it. There are many factors involved, and different people are focusing on different aspects of the equation. It's easy enough to point to lost games that could/should have been won and speculate on how much of it was on the coaching and how much on the players. The hard part is predicting how much the team will improve over the course of this season, and whether or not they will peak at a higher level than ever at the end of the season. As painful as the early season losses have been, a single upset victory in the NCAA tournament would easily make fans forget the early problems. And with the Zips having the 9th least experienced roster of 347 DI teams, it's not unrealistic to expect them to make significant performance gains as they become more seasoned.

OU finished the last regular season with a 23-7 record and no OOC wins over ranked schools. Compared with last season's Zips, OU had a better OOC record but a worse MAC regular season record. They even had to play a MAC tournament qualifying game in Miami before moving on to the Q, where they beat the Zips by just 1 point on a lucky bounce. Yet they were able to make it to the Sweet 16 and come close to upsetting North Carolina. Every season there are teams with unremarkable regular seasons who peak at the right time and have good NCAA tournament runs. That's what we all really want the Zips to do, and that's still within their reach. That would qualify as taking the Zips to a new level just as much as consistently beating OOC teams early in the season. Until the Zips deliver something they've never done before, this forum will continue to be filled with questions and theories of why not.

We have big guys. We have fast guys. We have big fast guys.

We don't have an excuse. This team should be winning.

Enough rotation. Play the big men and who ever is hot stays in. This year I have seen Tree score and rebound and then sit down. Duh. When he is hot keep him in. Keep Zeke in. He is SEVEN FEET TALL. If someone who is not playing well does not like being on the bench, TOO BAD. It is a team sport and it is about the team, not about minutes.

Why does it seem like only a handful understand this? sorry.gif

Many are naive and don't remember (or weren't around) for the nightmare that was the time before Dambrot. It doesn't give them any excuse for not giving him credit, but it also doesn't make them any less wrong to question if KD is the right person to take us to the next level.

Is anyone saying that KD shouldn't be questioned? Does anyone really know for sure if KD can or can't take the program to the next level? Does anyone really know for sure if any available coach who would come to Akron would be more likely than KD to take the program to the next level? Is UA committed enough to provide all the resources required by KD or another coach to take the program to the next level? Lots of questions to be asked and lots of different opinions to sort through, some more educated than others. Productive discussions are good to have.

I don't think there's any disagreement with the fact that UA is not a destination school for a sure big winner coach. At best, UA is a temporary stop for an aspiring young coach like a John Groce to come and build a resume for a few years and then move on to bigger things for bigger money. In that scenario, the program bounces up and down as some aspiring young coaches hit it big and some fall flat on their faces. Maybe one of them hits it big and the Zips have their first NCAA tournament run. But I'd have a hard time getting excited about Zips basketball during those years when UA was stuck with an aspiring young coach who couldn't win half of the games on the schedule, and then have to go through the rebuilding years when the next coach comes in and tries to clean things up.

Is anyone saying that KD shouldn't be questioned? Does anyone really know for sure if KD can or can't take the program to the next level? Does anyone really know for sure if any available coach who would come to Akron would be more likely than KD to take the program to the next level? Is UA committed enough to provide all the resources required by KD or another coach to take the program to the next level? Lots of questions to be asked and lots of different opinions to sort through, some more educated than others. Productive discussions are good to have.

I don't think there's any disagreement with the fact that UA is not a destination school for a sure big winner coach. At best, UA is a temporary stop for an aspiring young coach like a John Groce to come and build a resume for a few years and then move on to bigger things for bigger money. In that scenario, the program bounces up and down as some aspiring young coaches hit it big and some fall flat on their faces. Maybe one of them hits it big and the Zips have their first NCAA tournament run. But I'd have a hard time getting excited about Zips basketball during those years when UA was stuck with an aspiring young coach who couldn't win half of the games on the schedule, and then have to go through the rebuilding years when the next coach comes in and tries to clean things up.

I can appreciate the desire to get to the next level but can we just get some insight into the current philosophy of "score and sit", rotations that seem timed/robotic and don't make a ton of sense to spectators? And do you think KD and/or coaching staff) sees a need to make adjustments from year to year based on the skills, talent, athleticism and heart of the players on the team? Or is he (they) just set in their ways? Stevie Wonder can see that the substitutions and rotations in Detroit didn't make much sense. Will never give up on the Zips!!!!

We have big guys. We have fast guys. We have big fast guys.

We don't have an excuse. This team should be winning.

Enough rotation. Play the big men and who ever is hot stays in. This year I have seen Tree score and rebound and then sit down. Duh. When he is hot keep him in. Keep Zeke in. He is SEVEN FEET TALL. If someone who is not playing well does not like being on the bench, TOO BAD. It is a team sport and it is about the team, not about minutes.

Dambrot coaches the team like a youth league, where everyone's parents payed for them to be on the team. Like he feels forced to even out minutes or somethin

In the 5 seasons before KD took over as head coach, the Zips averaged a final season RPI ranking of #165, or 48th percentile of the 347 DI teams. In the 8 full seasons that he's been head coach, the Zips have averaged a final season RPI ranking of #81, or 23rd percentile. Last season the Zips finished with their best-ever final season RPI ranking of #60, or 17th percentile. So it's fair to say that KD took a program that was almost dead average in performance and moved it up a level, well into the top quarter of all DI teams. For that he deserves credit.

Under the category of what have you done for me lately, everyone agrees that this season has been a disappointment so far. It's certainly fair to question whether or not KD is capable of continuing to lead the Zips to an even higher level until he actually does it. There are many factors involved, and different people are focusing on different aspects of the equation. It's easy enough to point to lost games that could/should have been won and speculate on how much of it was on the coaching and how much on the players. The hard part is predicting how much the team will improve over the course of this season, and whether or not they will peak at a higher level than ever at the end of the season. As painful as the early season losses have been, a single upset victory in the NCAA tournament would easily make fans forget the early problems. And with the Zips having the 9th least experienced roster of 347 DI teams, it's not unrealistic to expect them to make significant performance gains as they become more seasoned.

OU finished the last regular season with a 23-7 record and no OOC wins over ranked schools. Compared with last season's Zips, OU had a better OOC record but a worse MAC regular season record. They even had to play a MAC tournament qualifying game in Miami before moving on to the Q, where they beat the Zips by just 1 point on a lucky bounce. Yet they were able to make it to the Sweet 16 and come close to upsetting North Carolina. Every season there are teams with unremarkable regular seasons who peak at the right time and have good NCAA tournament runs. That's what we all really want the Zips to do, and that's still within their reach. That would qualify as taking the Zips to a new level just as much as consistently beating OOC teams early in the season. Until the Zips deliver something they've never done before, this forum will continue to be filled with questions and theories of why not.

DiG, end-of-season RPI means very little to me after losing a MACC and then giving an uninspired effort in the NIT, CBI, or whatever flavor of post-season tournament we get into.

KD has certainly improved the competitiveness of the program. This is especially true within the conference where we are one of the perenial favorites to win the MACC and post-season appearances have been earned. The NIT wins against Temple and FSU are certainly notable relative to the history of the program. I appreciate these things; however, how long ago were those? Until the past two seasons, I felt the program was growing and continuing to raise its profile. Now, I feel we are in perpetual win-the-MAC-or-bust mode and the OOC and post-season play reflects this attitude. KD continues to comment that the only thing that matters is winning the MACC and that is always reflected in the uninspired efforts of the OOC (including the Bracketbuster) and post-season. To continue growing the program KD needs to take the attitude that we are now bigger and better than the MAC and that every game matters. Maybe then we will start over-achieving with some OOC/post-season wins. Until then, we are just another above average MAC school.

Based on the trajectory of the program and talent on the team (and Zeke's senior season), anything less than a MACC and a highly competivitve NCAA Tournament game (and preferably a win) is a disappointment.

Dambrot has possibly the best recruiting class in UA history right now playing as freshmen, and definitely the best class coming in next year. I think he deserves at least a year or two with these "next level" classes to prove he can take the program to the next level. He's earned it.

Dambrot has possibly the best recruiting class in UA history right now playing as freshmen, and definitely the best class coming in next year. I think he deserves at least a year or two with these "next level" classes to prove he can take the program to the next level. He's earned it.

I think we are stocked with big, fast, athletic BB players. They are not playing as a team.

What I saw was AA passing to where he thought CG would be, only Walsh was in not CG was. Then Walsh being where he should be, except that Melo was in and throwing someplace else. No one posting up, because possibly they thought the other guy in that particular lineup was supposed to do that.

If I am wrong, say so. I can take it.

But they are not playing as a team, and I think a big part of the problem is that it is just too confusing to have different players constantly rotating in and out. They need to settle down and play together.

I'm not offering this as an excuse at all, because I think the Zips blew the game the other night and they have been very disappointing coming out of the gate. But Detroit-Mercy gave #3 Syracuse all they could handle in the Carrier Dome tonight before ultimately losing 72-68.

One thing is for certain. The up-tempo, full-court pressing defense has been an abject failure up to this point. And frankly I don't want to se the Zips use it to simply blow out overmatched squads like Pine Bluff. If it can't ultimately prove useful against the better teams left on the schedule, just scrap it for now.

There's still time to have a good, even unprecedented season, but the improvement must happen soon. I really think either Melo or another player must step up and play better as the back-up PG. Sure AA has been off lately, but a lot of that is due to his high minutes and historically injury-prone body. If we keep riding him 35 minutes every game, a season-ending injury might unfortunately bite us in the rear. With no Q to bail us out this year, that would likely be a crippling blow to any chances of winning the MACC, let alone making a run in the NCAA tourney.

I didn't see that up-tempo full court press against Detroit, and I still can't figure out why.

Detroit had their big guys all in foul trouble and their two super stars (#3 and #10) did not sit a minute in the second half (if at all the whole game). I was hoping that we will run something to wear them out, yet nothing happened.

Our top players played maybe 20-22 minutes the whole game while theirs played the whole time without any problem.