Akron OU in game thread

MDZip

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home after having to miss the game (I missed the last OU game as well, starting to think I need to avoid the Q two weeks from Saturday) and am SO happy to see the Zips extended it to 19 in a row and that we did it in such dramatic fashion.

On the flip side. This Saturday scares the heck out of me. Classic trap game. I hope these guys have the mental fortitude to understand that they haven't won jack yet. 30 in a row baby!

Lead on Associated Press story:

ATHENS, Ohio -- Demetrius Treadwell scored 21 points and Jake Kretzer came off the bench with a career-high 19 as Akron extended its winning streak to 19 games, the nation's longest this season, by defeating Ohio 88-81 in overtime Wednesday night.

Bubble watch story on CBS Sports updated at 9:22 pm immediately after the game ended with the title: Can Akron Make Tourney as an At-Large Team?

Akron: The Zips won their 19th game in a row on Wednesday, going into second-place Ohio and coming out with a hard-fought overtime victory. Although Akron will be the favorite to win the Mid-American tournament, it's unclear if its resume is good enough to get into the NCAA tournament without winning the automatic bid. The Zips are now 4-3 against the top 100, with the lone top 50 win coming over Middle Tennessee. Win out until the title game, and then we'll see.

I can't add anything too significant to what's already been said. But I will say this. Let's try to hold off on the 1st half "surrenders" on this board the rest of the season. This team certainly has earned that much from its followers.

That has to be one of the great MAC hoops games of all time. But it's over and there is work remaining. Keep up the fight Zips!

Well written NBCSports story:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com...-win-over-ohio/

"The Zips still have an outside chance at earning an at-large bid. It’s a long shot, but it’s there. If they can make a run to the league’s tournament title game where they end up losing to Ohio, they’ll have a puncher’s chance at getting a bid. I’d love to see them in. With the size of their front line — namely Zeke Marshall — and the play of Alex Abreu at the point, Akron can pull off an upset on the nights that their threes go down.

We’ll see how things play out, but the one thing that we can all agree on is that a rematch of Akron and Ohio with an NCAA tournament bid on the line would be a lot of fun.

How about frosted tips sending reggie's weak layup in OT?

Still awaiting word on how OU's big arena actually won them the game :wave:

Didnt even look sold out to me!

Great win by the zips. If I see him in class tomorrow, Ill be sure to give Zeke some words of encouragement for another solid game even though he fouled out.

FAR short of a sellout. By several thousand. :lol:

Give credit where credit is due. That was a great atmosphere. A lot of people wanted to see the top 25 Akron Zips! B)

And by the way, I stand by my previous statement that OU's arena is WAY too big for basketball. They can't even fill it in the most important game of the regular season vs a top 25 team during a season where they are returning from a sweet 16 run. That's the best shot they're going to have.

We can enjoy this game for now. I'll bring up the "letdown" game and so on later.

I just want to say "Thanks!", and kudos to akzipper. You sir, deserve the game ball for tonight's performance. It was your negative attitude that carried the team to victory tonight. We could not have gotten this victory if it were not for the motivation you provided. We (especially Coach D) are endebted to you for all the locker room clippings you have provided all this season. Akzipper is surely on the way to earning MMOY (MAC Motivator of the Year)! Now please don't dilly-dally in telling all about the trap awaiting the team when they arrive in Buffalo. And even if they pull the surprise, another win is just one more victory against the MAC -- one of the worst conferences in America! This team has GOT to up it's non-conference schedule! (Just a little material I've collected for your future use).

I just want to say "Thanks!", and kudos to akzipper. You sir, deserve the game ball for tonight's performance. It was your negative attitude that carried the team to victory tonight. We could not have gotten this victory if it were not for the motivation you provided. We (especially Coach D) are endebted to you for all the locker room clippings you have provided all this season. Akzipper is surely on the way to earning MMOY (MAC Motivator of the Year)! Now please don't dilly-dally in telling all about the trap awaiting the team when they arrive in Buffalo. And even if they pull the surprise, another win is just one more victory against the MAC -- one of the worst conferences in America! This team has GOT to up it's non-conference schedule! (Just a little material I've collected for your future use).

I was wondering when someone would bring him up.

yes

Three things.....

Watched the MAC web cast which used the OU commentators. What a pair. If you didn't watch the webcast you probably don't realize that OU only committed about one foul the whole game.

Kretzer have any shot as league newcomer of the year?

At this point, I like Akron's shot at an at large bid. Hope they don't need it, but think they will get one if they do.

This team has GOT to up it's non-conference schedule!

THAT part of your post is no laughing matter.

At 22-4, and 19 wins in a row, and we still aren't in the AP poll? And nobody gives us much of a shot at an at-large?

It saddens me and angers me that we don't have a lot more accolades to show for it, but the OOC schedule was indeed the only missing piece that was within our control.

THAT part of your post is no laughing matter.

At 22-4, and 19 wins in a row, and we still aren't in the AP poll? And nobody gives us much of a shot at an at-large?

It saddens me and angers me that we don't have a lot more accolades to show for it, but the OOC schedule was indeed the only missing piece that was within our control.

And honestly, the OOC wasn't that bad...9-4...good wins against MTSU and NDSU...at full-strength, CCU and OSU would have been wins too. We beat Big 10 PSU who beat #4 Michigan tonight. The losses on the road to Detroit and Creighton were not bad either.

Am I missing something? Espn is saying we won 72-70.

This is amazing, but the CBS Gametracker I was watching said the same thing! I was texting the 19 game streak (YES!, Z.I.P. has learned to text!) when the OT score showed up on the bottom line of ESPN during the G-Town - UConn game. WHATINTHEWORLD??? Thank heavens we were allready up by six by then... :D

Hell of a win for you guys.

If you're knocking the crowd, please. Your team would kill for half that kind of support on a Saturday, let alone a rainy Wednesday evening. And your team deserves it. They are legit. Best atmosphere I have seen in the Convo to date.

If Zeke wins MAC PoY, it's an absolute travesty . . .

. . . Because Treadwell deserves it WAY more.

Cleveland will be fun, again. Time to set an attendance record. See you in 2 1/2 weeks.

For those of you talking about attendance, this game would have been sold completely out had it not been on a darn Wednesday. Besides, it was probably the most hostile environment your team has seen (I'm pretty sure Coach Dambrot said that.) Sorry for butchering the spelling on his name.

As for the glowsticks, that was absurd. In no game, against no opponent is that acceptable.

As for the game, I gotta give huge props to you for your performance this evening. Down big in an environment unlike any the MAC has seen in a long time* and you pulled together for the W. Great game, I have no doubt we'll see you at the Q for all the marbles.

*The environment at the JAR was great, but we had the advantage of 6,000 more people. Pound for pound, it may have been more equal, but numbers don't lie.

I'd like to thank the Akron fans for making the trip to the Convo. Was a little disappointed at no Rowdies, but there you go. I talked to some fans from Akron after the game. Classy people. Had a lot of fun tonight in a loss. Do us a favor, don't lose another game. Then, we can make the MAC a 2 bid league ;)

For those of you who were able to attend, what did you think of the Convo?

Hell of a win for you guys.

If you're knocking the crowd, please. Your team would kill for half that kind of support on a Saturday, let alone a rainy Wednesday evening. And your team deserves it. They are legit. Best atmosphere I have seen in the Convo to date.

If Zeke wins MAC PoY, it's an absolute travesty . . .

. . . Because Treadwell deserves it WAY more.

Cleveland will be fun, again. Time to set an attendance record. See you in 2 1/2 weeks.

Tree will have two more chances.

Before he is done he will be one of our legends.

Tune into ESPN2 (College Basketball live) right now, they are about to talk about the Zips when they get back from commercial.

edit (1:28am): They must be saving it for the end of the show. Biggest story last i guess :rock:

edit (1:34am): They showed a good amount of highlights and mentioned that we have the longest win streak in college basketball this year, but not much else. They've talked about us far more on other nights.

For those of you who were able to attend, what did you think of the Convo?
Thanks for stopping by after a tough loss. Can't say I would be able to do the same. I wasn't at the Convo, but from my couch I have a criticism that somebody might be able to verify. Is the lighting, that bad in there? The HD on tv was iffy. STO games broadcast from the JAR are much clearer, and by no means do I think the JAR's lighting is fantastic. It's just good. Student support looked great.